regular wheelchairs and people who look healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenfur

DIS Veteran
My mom has been with us on the last two trips and has had a real problem with walking. She had a small stroke when she was 48 and is not in much better physical shape now. We got her a wheelchair to see Osborne lights last year and she really enjoyed them more than the previous year.

We are considering getting her a wheelchair this year (no ECV) and she has asked about it herself. I have heard that people who look healthy get a lot of grief if they use a wheelchair. She looks fine, but if we have to walk for more than a few minutes we have to stop and rest for a few minutes. This hard at WDW. She would not use it to get line priviledges (if there are any) because we would park it like a stroller. Any advise?

If it makes life easier for your mom, then go ahead and get one!

I agree if it's better for her, get one!! Don't worry about what other idiots think. My mom is in the same boat, looks very healthy, but has secondary PH and has a terrible time in heat and humidity and with walking for long periods of time. She's still having a hard time admitting she can't do the things she use to so she struggles along in the parks. I've pleaded and begged for her to get a wheelchair or EVC to use, but she won't do it.

So if your mom is willing go ahead and get it and don't worry about what others think! Until one walks in your or your mom's shoes they shouldn't be judging you or her.

Pam

I wouldn't worry about it! Do what's best for your mom!

The only thing that's ever bothered me regarding wheelchairs is the time we were waiting in a very long bus line and a guy in a wheelchair rolled to the front of the line with his family of 6 and when the bus came, he got out of the wheelchair and onto the bus all by himself! Why oh why would he need to go to the front of the line with his family and cut us off if he's able to walk fine? I'll be the first to admit there could be something I'm missing here but it didn't look good to those of waiting in the hot sun for that bus!

There, I just had to vent on that one! Please don't think that I'm thinking you would do this, it was just a chance for me to vent...thanks for listening!

Have a great trip with your mom!;)

My mom has bad ankles and walking is tough for her, after awhile. We get her one from time to time and we have never run into any guff about it. Everyone is always so polite and considerate. Get her the wheelchair, both you and she will enjoy the trip so much more if she is comfortable and not hurting.

If she needs it, by all means, get it! If a wheelchair or ECV will help her enjoy the Disney experience more, then GO FOR IT!!

I think the people you're referring to are the people who rent wheelchairs and aren't handicapped, but enjoy all the priviledges afforded to those who truly deserve them. I can recall a few years ago, seeing a group of teenagers taking turns in a wheelchair. They used it to the fullest extent, getting to the front of all the lines, etc.

I was infuriated, and wondered if some poor soul had been told that all the wheelchairs were rented on this day because these dorks got the last one.

My MIL is blind and also has a hip replacement (a bad one). In addition for it being hard for her to navigate in the crowds, she also cannot walk for more than 5 minutes or so without pain.

We've gotten a wheelchair for her the last two years. Yes, we get some looks from folks when she gets out of the chair and into ride vehicles with no apparent problem, but I just chalk it up to people's lack of understanding. It is not obvious that she is blind when you look at her.

Make your trip enjoyable for everyone!! If that includes a wheelchair for someone, go for it. In most cases, you'll still be waiting in the regular lines with everyone else. Make sure you check out the parade viewing areas for wheelchair users; they're about the only places where a guest can remain in the wheelchair without having some rude person stand directly in front of them.

First, as Donna in OZ mentioned, in most of the lines at WDW, people using wheelchairs or ecvs wait in line with everyone else. This is called "Mainstream Access" and all the attractions at the newer parks (the Studio and Ak) are Mainstream access. In the older parks, all the lines have been changed to Mainstream access if they can be. The few that are not have something about the queue that can't be changed that makes it inaccessible.
The only thing that's ever bothered me regarding wheelchairs is the time we were waiting in a very long bus line and a guy in a wheelchair rolled to the front of the line with his family of 6 and when the bus came, he got out of the wheelchair and onto the bus all by himself! Why oh why would he need to go to the front of the line with his family and cut us off if he's able to walk fine? I'll be the first to admit there could be something I'm missing here but it didn't look good to those of waiting in the hot sun for that bus!
Just because someone is using a wheelchair doesn't mean they can't walk at all. Many people who use a wheelchair look "normal" and can walk short distances, but would be in a lot of pain or don't have endurance if they walk more than a short distance. Some people don't like the feeling of riding up the wheelchair lift onto the bus (it is a little scary if you are not used to it), so some people do get out of the wheelchair and walk onto the bus. That doesn't mean they didn't need the wheelchair at all, just that they could walk well enough to get onto the bus.

You will find some people who make comments based on a 30 second or less observation. We've heard people say that our DD "doesn't need a wheelchair" when they see her sitting on a bench next to her wheelchair, with her legs crossed, swinging her legs. Well, she may look OK sitting there, but she didn't sit on the bench herself; she can't get out of her wheelchair by herself and can't stand up by herself. She can't even cross her legs by herself. Yet, because they see her sitting there, people feel they have a "right" to judge her need. That's wrong!
There are people on the disABILITIES Board frequently who are afraid to use the wheelchair or ecv that they need because they are worried that some "boob" will make a judgement about them and their need for a wheelchair. Some of them are touring the parks in pain because they are worried that someone else will say something. So think about these things the next time you see someone who looks "healthy" sitting in (or next to, or getting out of) a wheelchair.

what a great post, sueinmn. :)

idiots will be idiots no matter where they are. i have a hard time walking down stairs (i get really dizzy and one time i fell and got a concussion :rolleyes: ). i am physically able to walk down stairs, but i am slow and i'd rather take an elevator or escalator where available.

when taking an elevator one floor you would not believe some of the totally uncalled for, RUDE remarks i have gotten. still, i take the elevator b/c i feel more comfortable doing so.

your mom should go for the ecv if that's what she wants. would she rather be uncomfortable and not able to see as much or put up with the idiot's remarks? i'd choose my own comfort/safety personally. :)

I agree. I took my daughter a few years back during Thanksgiving. She developed strep throat. I thought that would ruin it for the rest of the trip but after the on call doctor examined her and gave her medicine, he told us that she could go in the parks as long as she wasn't running fever. He said she could not get overheated and suggested us use a wheelchair for her. When her fever broke, we took her and got a wheelchair. Even though if it were up to her she would have been running everywheres until she fell out overexhausted, we made her use the wheelchair and we also did take advantage of getting in the front of the line since she didn't need to be sitting in the sun and wind. I'm sure people gave us looks but she was under the doctor's care and I would have gladly took out my $150 bill and showed it to anyone who thought we were just using it to get the "advantages". I think if a person needs it, use it. People don't need to judge other people just because there are some "bad apples" in the bunch. :D

Originally posted by SueM in MN
Just because someone is using a wheelchair doesn't mean they can't walk at all. Many people who use a wheelchair look "normal" and can walk short distances, but would be in a lot of pain or don't have endurance if they walk more than a short distance. Some people don't like the feeling of riding up the wheelchair lift onto the bus (it is a little scary if you are not used to it), so some people do get out of the wheelchair and walk onto the bus. That doesn't mean they didn't need the wheelchair at all, just that they could walk well enough to get onto the bus.

You will find some people who make comments based on a 30 second or less observation. We've heard people say that our DD "doesn't need a wheelchair" when they see her sitting on a bench next to her wheelchair, with her legs crossed, swinging her legs. Well, she may look OK sitting there, but she didn't sit on the bench herself; she can't get out of her wheelchair by herself and can't stand up by herself. She can't even cross her legs by herself. Yet, because they see her sitting there, people feel they have a "right" to judge her need. That's wrong!

There are people on the disABILITIES Board frequently who are afraid to use the wheelchair or ecv that they need because they are worried that some "boob" will make a judgement about them and their need for a wheelchair. Some of them are touring the parks in pain because they are worried that someone else will say something. So think about these things the next time you see someone who looks "healthy" sitting in (or next to, or getting out of) a wheelchair.

Hope your not upset with me and my story...I didn't mean to offend anyone. Hope I'm not one of the 'boob's" you refer to??

I stated "I'll be the first to admit there could be something I'm missing" regarding this issue.

With my story I told I was NOT implying that there was NOTHING wrong with this man, BUT I was absolutely confused as to why he needed to be up front with his family and cut 100 people off if he didn't need any help??

If someone can get out and walk onto the bus by themselves, then why do they go to the front of the bus line? And why does their family get to do this too? Is it for help carrying the wheelchair onto the bus from the bus driver instead of their 6 family members? I really want to understand. I do understand if they cannot get out of the wheelchair why they need to be up front and get help from the bus driver...

Why is my observation so offensive? Just explain it to me so I'll understand. I'm confused.

You know, although I thought this at the time, I would NEVER say anything. I would never assume. I just wondered. I can't imagine anyone assuming and judging in that way and actually saying something to someone in a wheelchair. That's too bad and sad about those with disabilities afraid to use their wheelchairs!:confused:

I hope I'm not considered one of the 'idiots' either??

I used wheelchairs and ECV's on a trip in 1999 after foot surgery. But, I could walk short distances and parked it outside and was able to manage the lines. So basically I used it to get from ride to ride.

Most folks are too busy having their own fun to even notice who is in a wheelchair and why. For those who do notice, they may wonder how that person is disabled, but most would assume that something is wrong, because who would want the cost and incovenience of a wheelchair for no good reason? For the VERY few who would have a rude thought or comment, well these are the jerks who would have a rude thought or comment in any situation. I know it's hard, but ignore them! My guess is that you will not encounter any unfriendly folks on your trip. Do what works for you and yours!

This is a subject that is near and dear to me. I have MS, but if you saw me, you would probably never guess in a million years that there was anything wrong with me. Truth be told, I'm a neurological mess. ;) I have never used a wheelchair at WDW, even when I was so exhausted and weak that I could barely move. The reason I don't is because I do look healthy, and I don't want anyone accusing me of faking it. But this trip, I've finally decided that if I'm having a bad day, I'm not going to push it. DH will either have to carry me on his back, or I'll get a wheelchair.

I also don't have a handicapped sticker for my car for the same goofy reason. :rolleyes:

I would never accuse a person of faking a disability. There are so many conditions that are invisible to other people. Everyone should mind their own business.;)

Good luck to you if you choose to get your mother a wheelchair. We'll be in the same situation next spring when we go with my parents. It's really a shame how we sit here and stress over whether or not to do this, and I probably would have never given it another thought until I have read the most insensitive, ignorant comments on these boards about this very issue. It is very hard on the disabled person, as well as the family members, and comments about seeing someone "healthy" taking advantage of a wheelchair for the benefits (whatever!) seem to come up in so many threads here. How sad.

SueM, you are great in that you always try to educate folks about this, and sometimes I don't know how you remain so patient and calm.

I agree with the other posters. Don't worry at all. My MIL used one last year at WDW because she had some hip pain. We wheeled her around, but she got up and walked into the attractions. She never would have made it if she had to do all the walking.

I took my 78 yo grandma in May and we had both a wheelchair and ECV. She looks normal (if a little old), but she has Parkinson's (like Ali and MJ Fox) and has also had a hip replacement. She walks with a cane (which we had). If anyone said anything to me, I probably would have knocked their block off, but......

Get the wheelchair and/or ECV! It is so worth it! My grama would not have been able to make the trip without them. And she only used an ECV once or twice before getting to WDW - and she did great, even manovered well down main st in MK at fireworks time!

Check out the disABILITIES board for more help! Have a great time!

Originally posted by beattyfamily
If someone can get out and walk onto the bus by themselves, then why do they go to the front of the bus line? And why does their family get to do this too?

I think I understand where you are coming from.....is your question why do some not-so-obviously-handicapped people in wheelchairs *cut* a (sometimes HUGE) line? As for the rest of the world, I can't answer as to *why* they do that.....but I can tell you about my family.

I have a niece that has a medical condition that causes her to dehydrate at an alarmingly rapid rate if she spends any great length of time in the sun. The dehydration will in turn cause her to become extremely ill. To see her, she would look absolutely no different than any other 17 yr old girl (except perhaps the presence of a medical ID bracelet, and she carries water bottles with her 24/7....). However, she physically cannot stand in a line and *wait her turn* if the wait is more than 5 or10 minutes in the sun. Would people give her nasty looks and comments if they saw her jump a line? Undoubtedly. Would she be perfectly within her rights to step to the front of the line? According to her doctors note, absolutely. Would she? Most likely not, because she doesn't want to *deal* with fall-out. Instead, she chooses to arrange her schedule so as to minimize her potential wait times.

Then again, there are just some people who do *fake* things in an attempt to *beat the system*. If they are, then shame on them.

I do not understand why people would rent a wheelchair if they did not need one. You do not get to the front of the line! On most rides you STILL have to wait in a line and wait even longer to load, etc.. Yes, there are some roped off areas for people/family in wheelchairs for parades and Fantasmic but they need to be able to see!

I think this has become almost an Disney urban legend:) Fake being sick so you can rent a wheelchair and we will all go to the front of the line-not!

Hope your not upset with me and my story...I didn't mean to offend anyone. Hope I'm not one of the 'boob's" you refer to??
I just meant to educate people and if I sounded a little upset or harsh, well I've been on the receiving end of comments and I was up last night with storms in our area, so I did not get a good night of sleep.
I can explain a little more about the buses.
Most (but not all) of the buses are equipped to transport wheelchairs. Sometimes a bus that does have a lift or ramp has problems (like the lift doesn't work or the tiedown belts for the wheelchair are missing). Each bus can hold a maximum of 2 wheelchairs or ecvs (electric scooters). Wheelchairs and/or ecvs need to be loaded from the back door using the lift or ramp and the driver must usually know that there is a wheelchair to load before he/she stops the bus in order to line everything up correctly. People with wheelchairs or ecvs are told to go out in the open (about where the back door of the bus will be) in order to have the driver see them. The driver needs to operate the lift and usually, they close the front door of the bus so that no one is coming onto the bus while the lift is being operated. Those WDW rental wheelcahirs weigh about 50 pounds (empty), so they don't want anyone trying to carry it up the back steps. My DD's manual wheelchair weighs about 40 pounds and it's a lightweight one. Since she can't walk, she can't get out of her wheelchair for boarding, but since the wheelchair has to go up the lift anyway, it doesn't matter whether the person is sitting in it or not - the lift will still be used.

One seat across from the back door of the bus is folded up to make a place for the wheelchair. If the driver allowed everyone else to load onto the bus first, whoever was in that seat would need to move when the wheelchair was boarded. Also, the more people there are on the bus, the harder it is to manouver the wheelchair into place (and it will take longer to load) the wheelchair on. Then the wheelchair is actually tied down to the floor with straps to keep it from moving/rolling on the bus.
When we first started riding the WDW buses, they did have the person in the wheelchair and one member of their party out of line and the rest of their party was to wait in the line and tell the bus driver that there was a wheelchair to board. That took a lot longer to load the wheelchair because of all the people. Sometimes, once I got to the front, we couldn't ride because the lift or straps were not in working order, so we waited for the next bus. Although things usually work out, we have already waited over an hour for the bus at DD because the 3 buses that came in that time period had 1) already picked up 2 wheelchairs, 2) the straps were missing for the tiedowns and 3) one of the buses didn't have a lift. The dispatcher finally sent another bus just for us.

For our party, we usually only sit if there are still seats left when the bus has been fully loaded. And we have heard comments of the "why do they waste 2 seats on having a wheelchair on. Those people shouldn't be allowed to ride the bus" type. It's not a pleasant bus ride when you know people are looking at you and thinking things like that.
On our last trip, we waited off to the side sitting on benches at MK since there were people already waiting for the bus when we got to the stop. I noticed who was at the end of the line when we arrived and when we saw that they would get on the bus, we went over. I still heard some grumbling about us having "gone to the front of the line", but we had waited as long as everyone else - just not where they noticed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter