Restaurant USA: What dishes/products would your State bring to the "table"

I think Virginia could bring...............I can't think of anything distinctly Virginian. That's sad.:confused3

Hey, fellow Richmonder!! :wave:

Representing the great state of Virginia could be ham, as mentioned earlier, or the ever-exciting peanut!

Okay, someone has to describe this foreign delicacy to me...I've never even heard of it.

I had to look it up, as I've never heard of it, either:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

Looks...interesting

It's not something you would probably enjoy if enountered for the first time as an adult. I think the part of your brain that screams "THIS CANT BE GOOD FOR ME" would probably take over and not allow you to enjoy it on it's own merits.

You would not be entirely incorrect in thinking that it's SPAM-like but to it's really not SPAM at all. SPAM always has that sort of "eewwww" quality.

Pork roll in our house is most often consumed as a breakfast item. We grill a slice on the panini maker, add a slice of the cheese of choice and a fried egg on a half of a toasted bagel and you are good to go.

Someone else has mentioned that pork roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll is a NJ "tradition".

I think it's taste can best be described as a very happy marriage of ham and bacon.

As I have stated many times before, I spent my childhood going to the Jersey shore on vacation.

Back "in the day" there was a pork roll stand on the boardwalk in Wildwood and a slice of grilled pork roll on a hamburger bun, with a slice of American cheese and yellow mustard accompanied by an ice cold birch beer was the lunch treat of choice.

As Pete has mentioned, it is (for some unknown but blessed reason) available at many Publix Supermarkets in central Florida. Other than that it is rarely known outside of the New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware area....unless you were lucky enough to go there as a kid.

Kevin

I want you to know that I had to go without taylor ham (or pork roll, as my Dad used to call it) for several years after moving to Florida. Unless people are from New Jersey apparently, they have never heard of taylor ham. I used to go into Publix and ask them to order some for me, and it just made thier little sun bleached heads explode. Last year they started carrying it (finally!!) and my cholesterol hasn't been the same since!
Glad to know others know the wonder of taylor ham!!
I think it is hit and miss. We can find Taylor ham here in MD and purchased some when we knew we were going on a trip to Ohio because where DH's grandmother lives in Ohio, they don't sell it. Breakfast with the big family just wouldn't be the same without it! We did it a bit different though - we did eggs, ham, and cheese on biscuits. Each to their own, I guess! :goodvibes

Kevin:
There was a "Taylor House" on the Boardwalk in Ocean City Md. in the early-mid 60's. Probably VERY similar to that one in Wildwood.

Let's see, since moving to Kentucky, I've tried several new foods. Most distinctive to the state would be:

Country ham (heavily cured, thinly sliced ham)

Burgoo (kind of a cross between BBQ and stew)

Moonlight BBQ (Recipe now available in stores based on old restaurant recipe)

Chess pie (think pecan pie without the pecans, but with cream added)

And the usual Southern items: hushpuppies, cheese grits, beans and ham, sweet tea, ham and biscuits, corn pudding...

Karla B.

Ohio? Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans! :rotfl2: Not exactly a hotbed of cuilinary innovation.

I once saw a postcard that said "fine herbs and spice of Ohio". Pictured were salt and pepper shakers and a packet of Sweet & Low.

Kevin:
There was a "Taylor House" on the Boardwalk in Ocean City Md. in the early-mid 60's. Probably VERY similar to that one in Wildwood.

There was one in Atlantic City and Cape May as well. They had knotty pine paneling and these weird little school desk-like places to sit and eat

I can remember being hot and sricky, my feet covered with sand and having lunch there.

It's part of some great childhood memories.

Kevin

How about some Rocky Mountain Oysters? This falls under the belief that anything fried tastes good...even those:scared: ! But, how about some lovely buffalo or venison, paired with some great local Fort Collins microbrews...New Belguim Fat Tire or O'Dells Easy Street.

See, I knew I wasn't the only New Belgian fan...Two-Foxes, throw in Coopersmith's and you'll have Ft. Collins brewing well represented!:thumbsup2

Ohio? Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans! :rotfl2: Not exactly a hotbed of cuilinary innovation.

I once saw a postcard that said "fine herbs and spice of Ohio". Pictured were salt and pepper shakers and a packet of Sweet & Low.

You forgot... Cincinnati style Chili! If you're from NE Ohio... I might suggest Bunny B saurkraut balls.

And hey! Remember... the new Iron Chef is from Ohio! LOL We do have some culinary innovation going on!

I haven't seen anything from my state posted yet!

I guess we'd have to go with California burgers (veggie burgers with avocado and sprouts).

And, Cobb Salad was invented at the original Brown Derby in Hollywood (not the one in MGM!). :)

Along with the pizza and taylor ham I'd put in some Jersey tomatoes and Italian bread. We have some friends that have moved to SC and FL and they miss the bread and hard rolls. :) Linda

A Pittsburgh speciality is Chipped Chopped Ham. I think it might be like the Taylor ham. It was made by a local chain called Islay's. They have gone the way of the Dodo, but they have left a fond memory in many hearts and you can still buy the ham. They also invented the Klondike ice cream bar.

Fenway Franks

Traditional Clam Bake (Cape May Cafe doesn't count)

Fried Clams (imported from Woodman's in Essex, MA)

UrsulasShadow (where in MA are you? We live in Danvers) named all the others. I initally thought lobster, but then thought Maine should get dibs, but later figured they could have those freaky red hot dogs they serve.

I was getting really hungry reading through these posts, but I'm sorry to say the wikipedia Taylor Ham description and mention of Spam took care of that ;)

Southwestern cusine...anything made with fire roasted corn, chiles, beans, and spice!

I make my own specialty, pumpkin enchiladas, with chipotle chicken, it's awesome.

We love flavor and spice!!

P.S....I love that you guys are talking about Taylor ham, I actually run a restaurant here in Phoenix that has it on the menu, the east coasters love it!!!! :lmao:

I haven't seen anything from my state posted yet!

I guess we'd have to go with California burgers (veggie burgers with avocado and sprouts).

And, Cobb Salad was invented at the original Brown Derby in Hollywood (not the one in MGM!). :)
It must all be washed down with bottled water and CA Chardonnay doncha know :upsidedow

You forgot... Cincinnati style Chili!

o..m..g... i just had a psycho-altering flashback the way an old druggie experiences drug flashbacks... Skyline Chili... I hold them solely responsible for at least 25% of my extra wide load ****.. ok.. I MAY have had a small amount to do with it too.

<<urrrp>>
Barney.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter