Restaurant USA: What dishes/products would your State bring to the "table"

Fenway Franks

Traditional Clam Bake (Cape May Cafe doesn't count)

Fried Clams (imported from Woodman's in Essex, MA)

UrsulasShadow (where in MA are you? We live in Danvers) named all the others. I initally thought lobster, but then thought Maine should get dibs, but later figured they could have those freaky red hot dogs they serve.
I live in Plymouth, and we have lots of lobstermen around here, and every family has their clamdigger license in this town. I suppose we could also do the turkey thing...being the home of the Pilgrims and all, and don't forget cod (even though I wish I could...I hate cod cakes, and stuffed quahogs, but they're local favorites, too). And brown bread. And clam fritters, and corn fritters. Cranberry bread, sauce, juice,wine, jelly. Did I mention sauteed chicken livers, a la Durgin Park? Clam pie? Oh, the list goes on and on...

See, I knew I wasn't the only New Belgian fan...Two-Foxes, throw in Coopersmith's and you'll have Ft. Collins brewing well represented!:thumbsup2

I do love Coops....are you from here?!?! It is strange to see Fat Tire being sold in other states now...New Belgium has done well, and oh, so very yummy!

II suppose we could also do the turkey thing...being the home of the Pilgrims and all, and don't forget cod (even though I wish I could...I hate cod cakes, and stuffed quahogs, but they're local favorites, too). And brown bread. And clam fritters, and corn fritters. Cranberry bread, sauce, juice,wine, jelly. Did I mention sauteed chicken livers, a la Durgin Park? Clam pie? Oh, the list goes on and on...

EGATS!! Did we forget baked beans?

I do love Coops....are you from here?!?! It is strange to see Fat Tire being sold in other states now...New Belgium has done well, and oh, so very yummy!

No but I lived all over the west where Fat Tire is sold (UT, AZ, now CA) and went to Ft. Collins this summer-- we had to make a pilgrimage to the NB Brewery! Good Times!

I think this group oughta be doing the menu at Epcot! This is much more of what I want to see there! If they don't start this soon, we will have to drive down or DD will just think that chicken strips and fries is American food.

Not sure if anyone had answered for Louisiana yet but I would say we would either serve Boiled Crawfish, Crawfish Etouffee, or Gumbo.:thumbsup2

Ohio? Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans! :rotfl2: Not exactly a hotbed of cuilinary innovation.

I once saw a postcard that said "fine herbs and spice of Ohio". Pictured were salt and pepper shakers and a packet of Sweet & Low.

Oh puhleeze! Ohio is bringing the beloved Green Bean Casserole! Oh! Oh! and Buckeyes for the dessert!

It doesn't look like anyone has posted from Illinois yet ... I'm from near Chicago, so these are Chicago foods, not necessarily the rest of the state.

Top of the list! - ***Deep-dish Chicago Style Pizza***
Chicago Style hot dog - Loaded with nearly everything you can think of EXCEPT for ketchup.
Polish sausage (served pretty much the same as the hot dog or with sauerkraut)
Italian Beef sandwiches
Eli's Cheesecake

Of course NONE of this is healthy!

pdarrah

I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We would bring Pasties (pronounced past-ees not paste-ees) to the table. They are a meat pie and were used in the copper mines in the late 1800's. They are delicious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasties

Actually, pasties are an English food brought over by the Pilgrims and other early settlers. Nice to see they live on in the UP!

UrsulaShadow said:
Lobstah and steamahs, Sam Adams beeah, baked beans (although I detest them), and decent pizza (pronounced "peetzer", y'know, like Dianer). I still hold to the notion that pizza is strictly an American food, NOT Italian.
camdesnmom said:
Fenway Franks

Traditional Clam Bake (Cape May Cafe doesn't count)

Fried Clams (imported from Woodman's in Essex, MA)

UrsulasShadow (where in MA are you? We live in Danvers) named all the others
Mmm... maybe not. Boston Creme Pie, Toll House cookies, Dunkin Donuts, Marshmallow Fluff,,, ( can't believe nobody considered dessert! :)), Parker House rolls (and I'm in Peabody - too bad about that Stop & Shop at the Mall closing... think they're having any clearance sales?) .

Well, if we are starting on desserts then let's add a few Southern choices such as sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and peach cobbler. And if you hungry for something sweet but don't have any pie or cobbler handy then in a pinch try a biscuit with honey, jam or cane syrup. Oh and I almost forgot lemon squares - can't have a party without them!!!

(OK, now I have to got find some left over cake or pie since I just made my self REALLY hungry!! Maybe I will have to find a Paula Dean cookbook and bask in the sugar and butter of it all!!!) :rotfl:

Actually, pasties are an English food brought over by the Pilgrims and other early settlers. Nice to see they live on in the UP!

Yes, they were brought to the U.P., Wisconsin & Minnesota by Cornish settlers and the Finnish took them into the mines. They are now a tradition here. That is explained in the Wikipedia article I posted.

I'll chime in for St. Louis.......

St. Louis style pizza - super thin, baked like a cracker, little bit of sweet italian "gravy", piles of toppings & gooey stick-to-your-mouth provel cheese
Toasted raviolis - pasta raviolis like Mama made and dropped "on accident" into the deep fryer, dip 'em into more "gravy" to eat as an appetizer
Gooey butter cake - another accident that stuck around......a yellow cake with extra butter and extra eggs, cooked crunchy around the edges and left gooey in the middle, great for breakfast or dessert

And of course, BUDWEISER! Not a beer fan myself (I'm a mojito girl - thank goodness Bud now markets Bacardis!) but you can't have St. Louis food without the Bud!

So, when do we open this restaurant? I am hungry after reading six pages of goodies......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter