Return policies, what's your take?

maslex

DIS Veteran
I order quite a bit of my wardrobe online (plus sized catalog) I had to return a few things and I also exchanged a couple things as well. Here are the details, hopefully you can follow along.

I ordered a swim tee back on July 17, it shipped July 18 and I recieved it approx July 25 (usually takes a week to get to me).

I also ordered a shirt (separate order) that I sent back due to wrong size.

So I get these two items BACK to me in the mail today. I strike up an online chat with a representive to ask why. The notice that came with these returned items were "return old/damaged items back to customer" One of them still had tags on them, the other never came with tags (their shirts never due anyhow) and that shirt was never worn. Anyways, she told me that they have a 60 day return policy and that I was over this deadline.

Here's where my question is.......when does a company start their return policy (whether it be a 30 day, 60 day, 90 day etc) Is it the day of purchase, the day of shipment, the day you receive it? Because if the item mentioned above was ordered on July 17, shipped July 18 and I receive it roughly July 25 and I sent it back in early Sept, I believe I'm within the 60 day return policy, no? I kept asking her to tell me when the return policy starts and she never answered me.

And I'm sure every company is different but I was wondering what your take is on it. Or if you work in customer service, how does your return policy work.

I would think it should be 60 days from when you received it to when you sent it back.

Most likely, though, they're calculating 60 days from when they shipped it to when they received it - those 10-14 days probably are the difference in your estimation.

I order quite a bit of my wardrobe online (plus sized catalog) I had to return a few things and I also exchanged a couple things as well. Here are the details, hopefully you can follow along.

I ordered a swim tee back on July 17, it shipped July 18 and I recieved it approx July 25 (usually takes a week to get to me).

I also ordered a shirt (separate order) that I sent back due to wrong size.

So I get these two items BACK to me in the mail today. I strike up an online chat with a representive to ask why. The notice that came with these returned items were "return old/damaged items back to customer" One of them still had tags on them, the other never came with tags (their shirts never due anyhow) and that shirt was never worn. Anyways, she told me that they have a 60 day return policy and that I was over this deadline.

Here's where my question is.......when does a company start their return policy (whether it be a 30 day, 60 day, 90 day etc) Is it the day of purchase, the day of shipment, the day you receive it? Because if the item mentioned above was ordered on July 17, shipped July 18 and I receive it roughly July 25 and I sent it back in early Sept, I believe I'm within the 60 day return policy, no? I kept asking her to tell me when the return policy starts and she never answered me.

And I'm sure every company is different but I was wondering what your take is on it. Or if you work in customer service, how does your return policy work.

I just checked the return policy of two different companies from whom I have ordered, and both state "from purchase".

I would expect the return time to be 60 days from when you ordered it. Still, if you returned it in early September you should still be good.

i would look to see if their website strictly defines it and then call my credit card company that i did the purchase through. if i returned it within 60 days of MY RECEIPT then absent other wording on the website i believe the credit card company would support me (i know few of the BIG retailers now put pending charges on credit cards for on-line orders but the actual charges don't hit until they get shipping confirmation of delivery so that's when THEIR return period starts).

I've returned a few things recently and it was from the date I received the shipment.

Most are from the day you placed the order, since you can usually opt to pay for faster shipping rather then the normal Ox & Mule Team from Timbuktu (aka USPS). However you might check with your credit card company. If the return policy isn't totally clear about when the return policy starts you very well may win. Plus, most vendors hate CC returns since they get dinged hard by the CC company.

Because if the item mentioned above was ordered on July 17, shipped July 18 and I receive it roughly July 25 and I sent it back in early Sept, I believe I'm within the 60 day return policy, no? I kept asking her to tell me when the return policy starts and she never answered me.
Does the company you order from not have details regarding their return policy? It's going to vary depending on company.

7/17-9/14=60 days if you include 9/14. When did you send them off in the mail?

I've returned a few things recently and it was from the date I received the shipment.

I've ordered stuff that was backordered and shipped a month or two after I ordered it. I'd hate for the clock to start on the exact date of purchase. I'm not exactly sure how it works, since they usually don't bill anything until the order ships when there's a backorder.

I think it should be from when you received it. That would make it consistent with a purchase at the store. Clock shouldn't start ticking until you have the merchandise.

Google the company name and return policy and it should say. Most companies I buy from state it’s from purchase, but a few (including amazon) state from delivery. I do know you need to account for shipping time back to the company in that time.

That’s why I typically order online but return items to their store location.

IME, most companies with a shorter return window (one I öove has a 14 day window) go from when you recieve the item and most with longer windows go from either puchase date or ship date.
It ought to be somewhere in the fine print on the website you ordered from.

Personally, I think over a month is plenty of time to decide if you like and wish to keep an item or not.

Depends on the company. Some explicitly say 60 days from purchase date, which is the date the order was made. Some say 60 days within receipt. Me, I return within 30 days of purchase since I should know by the weekend (when I have time to open packages) whether the item works or not

If you purchased from any of the Full Beauty companies (Roamans, Woman Within, Jesica London, etc.), it's 60 days from ship date https://m.fullbeauty.com/CustomerService/CustomerService.aspx "Q: What is Your Return Policy?
A: Our goal is your complete satisfaction! If we have not delighted you, all unworn, unwashed or defective merchandise may be exchanged or returned within 60 days of ship date."
I took the advice of a PP, I Googled the compan y name return policy. Great advice, gotomu212!

Surely if they mistakenly sent it back when there was no damage, it is on them to allow a late return regardless of whether the deadline has passed?

Surely if they mistakenly sent it back when there was no damage, it is on them to allow a late return regardless of whether the deadline has passed?
I think the company sent it back becuase it was "old" The note was "old/damaged" which I take to mean either one of those things can be the reason. It sounds like it had been more than 60 days past the ship date when OP returned the items---thus the items being old merchandise.

I would almost always err on the side of purchase date. Just to be on the safe side.

To be fair, I think these strict rules exist for good reason. A lot of people are pretty shameless when it comes to returns. I've known people who shop garage sales to find items they can possibly return to stores. I have also worked in retail before, its pretty crazy what people will try to return.

I would check the company's policy - it has to be somewhere. A lot of different companies have different policies. Without knowing the company you used, there's no way anyone here can give you a correct answer...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter