Rides to Avoid with Motion Sickness?

Does Dumbo not only go around but also go up and down?

If MK's is just like DL's, there is a control stick within each elephant for the rider/s to make it go up or down. If you didn't touch the control, I am not sure if it would automatically engage in any up or down motion on its own.

Does Dumbo not only go around but also go up and down?

If MK's is just like DL's, there is a control stick within each elephant for the rider/s to make it go up or down. If you didn't touch the control, I am not sure if it would automatically engage in any up or down motion on its own.

MK Dumbo has the control stick inside each Dumbo so the riders can manually make it move up/down too. If you don't touch the control stick, your Dumbo will NOT move up and down; it just stays in one place throughout the whole ride. :o

I get motion sick very easily. I recommend taking one BONINE (25mg meclizine) at night before bed. Standard dose is one every 24 hours- yes, it's good all day! They are chewable, and very easy to break in half. I order mine online thru Amazon- much cheaper to order the generic than purchase Bonine OTC. (You can also take 2 if you get really really really motion sick- when flying, I take one before bed and then one an hour or so before the flight.) Fortunately, this gets me through not just the rides, but the busses, boats, parking lot trams, and monorails!

Here's my list of rides to avoid, or at least consider carefully- and remember, I take Bonine daily at WDW:
I don't do drops, so I don't ride Splash, Space Mountain, Everest, RnRC, or ToT. I am OK on BTMRR for one ride (and I love it, but I have to walk carefully after!).

Magic Kingdom- Barnstormer, Tea Cups, and AstroOrbiter SKIP FOR SURE. Aladdin and Dumbo can make me queasy. 7DMT kills me- i am fine up to the end, but when stopped outside the cottage, it gets to me every time, even with the Bonine. I also have to be careful at Mickey's Philharmagic during the flying scenes- and the Carousel. As I said above, no Splash, Space Mountain for me.

Epcot- Mission Space- never done this, never will! Also, the end of Test Trak will make me queasy, and sometimes I have to close my eyes in Soarin'. I also have to be careful at the 360-degree movies.

Animal Kingdom- No Primeval Whirl or Everest. I will do Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids but only once, and only if I'm feeling solid. Haven't tried any of the new Pandora rides yet. Triceratops Spin makes me queasy.

Studios: Definitely no Star Tours! I also have to be very, very careful at TSMM, as it, too, makes me queasy. (of course no RnRC or ToT).

Mission Space Orange. I'm old-ish, and have been on a lot of rides in my time, and the only one that absolutely destroyed me was Mission Space Orange. Thought I would puke on the ride, had to lay down after the ride, and felt super-nausea for the next 24 hours. I couldn't handle any sort of roller coaster for the next 2 years!!!! Better now (about 4 years later), but I'll never get on Mission Space again.

With mission Orange, it is super important to keep your eyes open and facing forward. Turning your head or closing your eyes too long greatly increases your odds of nausea.

To be super-clear I'm not saying you won't have a reaction if you follow the directions, I'm saying you are more likely to suffer if you don't follow the directions.

Likewise, it is VERY important to keep your head back against the headrest when riding RNRC. The force of the take-off can cause your head to bang against the headrest if it isn't already back, and that could be uncomfortable.

Hi there,

I am hoping to hear from you about rides I should avoid for my little guy (7) who gets a bit of motion sickness from time to time. He LOVES rides and did not get sick on Space Mountain, 7DMT, Splash Mountain so I think drops are okay. I think spinning might be hard on him. We have only been to MK and this trip we are there for a week and hitting each park, so your feedback on rides to avoid across all WDW parks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much :)

Motion sickness is tricky, because I think people are affected differently by different things.

Considering he was fine on Space Mountain he should be fine on Thunder Mountain.

For sure skip Primeval Whirl and Mission Space Orange and mad tea cups.

Rock n' roller coaster depends on how he does with a barrel roll. Was very bad for me.

Expedition Everest made me feel sick to my stomach...worst feeling I've ever had from a ride, but others say they were ok on it. The problem with it is a portion of fast backwards motion turning around the mountain.

Then there are the simulators. Simulators really get my motion sickness going. But the good thing about them is your son can just close his eyes if it's making him nauseous.
The one's that are potentially nauseating are:
Star Tours
Mission Space green Mission
Flight of Passage - this one's probably the most intense out of the three. I had to keep my eyes closed for the majority of the ride.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but sometimes people mention Toy Story Mania...if this was mentioned I personally disagree with this warning. The rides your son has ridden are so much wilder than this amazing and totally tame ride. Don't miss it.

Anything that spins! Even the 3D motion rides... the ones I avoid
Carousel
Tea cups
Star Tours
Mission Space( either color)

Just to clarify, Star Tours doesn't spin.

More or less, ST is just a big box that tilts in different directions while showing a movie. People experience motion sickness because their brain detects the difference between the actual motion and the exaggerated motion depicted in the movie. So in the case of Star Tours closing your eyes = avoiding the movie, and that's often enough for many folks to avoid feeling ill.

Mission orange is very different, because the cars of that ride move a great deal. The cars of M:S orange are more like the kind of simulators pilots use, where each car is at the end of an arm that moves around a central axis. The cars don't spin like a teacup, they rotate around a central axis. Closing your eyes doesn't help, because you really are moving.

Last, Primeval Whirl =the ride known elsewhere as the Mousetrap. You can see the entire ride before you ride. It used to spin a good deal more than it does now. IMO, the spinning isn't a problem, but the ride is the opposite of smooth.

Doc told me to take the meclizine (bonine, dramamine) prior to bed. This way you get a good nights sleep and no drowsiness in the daytime. Works like a charm. Plan on taking the night prior to our AK day for FOP.

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of trying this. Maybe I will try it someday at home just to see if it makes me drowsy still. I assume you are specifically taking a 24 hr version?

I just wanted to say how much I have appreciated everyone's feedback on this post. THe DIS is awesome :)

I just want to say I’m glad I’m not the only one who got a little woozy on Dumbo. I thought it was just me!!! Also...the carousel has the same effect. I just cannot handle any spinning. I was one and done on Star Tours as well.

I won’t even attempt MS Orange, the teacups, or Primevil Whirl.

Jury’s still out on FOP as I haven’t had a chance to try it.

I do fine on Soarin’ and all of the coasters, FWIW.

Star Tours, does closing your eyes help???? I cant do most roller coasters, and passed this one up last time,...........But id like to try, its Star Wars after all.

Flight of passage was a killer for me. I tried it but halfway thru it I was about to toss my cookies. I had to keep my eyes closed for the remainder of the ride. I still felt queasy asfter the ride for a while.

I remember I rode Star Tours in 1993 and swore I would never again! Well, 24 years later my 12 year old convinced me. UGH! Big mistake!

I take meclizine daily during my Disney trips. It's a generic for Bonine. The only ride that I can feel the motion battling my meclizine is Star Tours. For me the trick with Everest, is when that part comes in the ride that it goes backwards...I literally turn my head around (as much as I can) and face that direction. Everest is one of my favorite rides! I have never ridden on mission space - orange. But don't want to take a chance on that one from all I've read and heard. I'm guessing I'll be ok on FOP. At Universal I can handle the Harry Potter and Simpson rides, as long as I just do them once. If I try to do them back to back, then I can feel that queasiness breaking thru again.

I consider myself quite prone to motion sickness. I do use Bonine and it helps. HATE the taste, but it's worth it.
Anyway, last trip Space Mountain got me on the day we did it for our 2nd ride of the day and I hadn't really eaten yet.
Expedition Everest. That backwards part does me in.
I can barely handle Mission Space: Green. NO WAY will I try orange.
Star Tours I was okay for the first couple of times. The third one got to me a bit.
I can do the teacups, but we don't do any "additional" spinning.
I'm worried about FoP, but hopefully I can handle it!

Hi everyone! My mom is 67 and is coming with us to Disney this time! yay! She has not been since like 1990. So a lot has changed for her!

Anyway from the past we know certain rides are really bad for her-super spinny rides like teacups are out for her. And she has an issue with rides that have screens and then you are moving around while looking at the screen. So Philharmagic is fine. But something like Star Tours might cause motion sickness for her. She is actually pretty good on regular roller coasters its the screen combined with moving that is what makes her sick.

What rides should be avoid for her? I am thinking no to Mission Space and Star Tours. What about the new Flight of Passage ride? I have never ridden that one. Trying to think of any others that might be a no go for her.

Any help is super appreciated thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter