Rocketman - Who's going see it? (HIDDEN Spoilers only, Please.)

I loved LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody! I think it was a great movie, and there is a reason it earned what, like $400 million? And Rami Malek deserved every acolade and award he received. The movie couldn't have been more successful. I was also glad that it focused so much on the music and nor on the sex/drugs/Rock and roll aspect of the band. There are dozens of movies covering that, and I found BR focus on the music refreshing, so I was happy with the rating it received. I wish Rocketman had gone the same route. I think there is TMI about celebrities sex lives, and I really don't care for explicit sex scenes in movies, be it straight or gay. They could have used that time to include another song :laughing:

Having said that, Elton John's Greatest Hits Vol II was the first album I ever owned, and I saw Elton John (with Billy Joel) in concert. Billy was really out of it (he entered rehab a few weeks later), so Elton John carried the show. It was a great concert...there is a great pull for me to watch this movie. I'm still deciding.

I loved LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody! I think it was a great movie, and there is a reason it earned what, like $400 million?

People Magazine said BoRhap surpassed the $1 billion mark worldwide last month. :thumbsup2

I'd like to see it, but not sure if I'll find the time to catch it in the theater - too much stuff going on this month.

I read an article comparing Rocketman and Bohemian Rap. And it said that Rocketman is supposed to be Elton John remembering his life while in rehab. So a lot of it is drug hazed memories sort of.

I like framing the story that way. They can get as wacky as they want, then. Kinda like how surreal All That Jazz gets at times (I know that's only semi autobiographical).

My kids always request Madman Across the Water when they’re in my truck. I had hoped that’s what the movie would be called but his more Pop like stuff is what made him popular. I’m sure there’s a whole slew of people who consider themselves fans but have never heard of Captain Fantastic, Madman or Tumbleweed Connection.

Burn Down the Mission and Take Me to the Pilot are two of my favorites... Goodbye Yellow Brick deserves to be listened to from start to finish. Nothing like Funeral for a Friend to start your day. Always haunts me when I hear it.

Did anyone see him on Inside the Actor's Studio? He wrote a melody on the spot to a random book that was handed to him.

https://957benfm.com/2019/03/25/elton-john-inside-actors-studio/

I can't wait to see it! I will have to make it a girl's night, though, since my husband has no interest in it. Imzadi, I hope you love it as much as Bohemian Rhapsody. That will be hard to match.

I saw Elton John in concert back in my early college days ('74). It was an awesome concert even tho naive me wondered why people were sharing all those cigarettes!! ;)

I won't go see the movie but if it's every on DISH I'd DVR it in an instant and watch it.

Burn Down the Mission and Take Me to the Pilot are two of my favorites... Goodbye Yellow Brick deserves to be listened to from start to finish. Nothing like Funeral for a Friend to start your day. Always haunts me when I hear it.

Did anyone see him on Inside the Actor's Studio? He wrote a melody on the spot to a random book that was handed to him.

https://957benfm.com/2019/03/25/elton-john-inside-actors-studio/
I was in a funeral - pulling into the cemetary and Funeral for a Friend came on one the radio. Yes the radio, early 90's. It was a friends funeral and I was in the car with friends and it was freaky as heck.

Yep yep yep. Soon, I hope, though we never go first weekend. DH is even ready to see it, since he was surprised to enjoy BoRap. Fun to stroll down memory lane with the music.

I can't wait to see it! I will have to make it a girl's night, though, since my husband has no interest in it. Imzadi, I hope you love it as much as Bohemian Rhapsody. That will be hard to match.

Yes, the Live Aid recreation alone will be hard to beat. :love:Rocketman pretty much HAD to go to a fantasy sequence to top, what is considered by many, one of the best real rock performances of all time.

It was actually the Live Aid section of BoRhap that I saw several times. I actually was on my way to see Mary Poppins Returns. I was in a multiplex. I happened to pass the door to BoRhap and realized from the start time that the Live Aid section would be showing soon. I ducked into that theatre to see it, :teleport: figuring I'd miss only 20 min of Mary Poppins, but would still be able to catch up on what I missed.

Turns out, the previews must have been really long and I would have missed 40 minutes of Mary Poppins. I felt that was too much to miss. Since I was so hyped up from seeing Live Aid, I decided to stay & watch all of BoRhap again. THAT'S when I realized I could do that the next few times I went to see BoRhap. :idea: Just arrive extra early, before the previous showing was going to end. The ticket takers didn't care. They did warn me that I'd be going in at the end of the movie. I said, "That's the best part!" :teeth: So, I've seen the full movie 4 times and the Live Aid section 7. :love:

I probably shouldn't admit this on a Disney board, but I never did get around to seeing Mary Poppins Returns. :blush: :duck: :lmao:

It's all good though, as Disney bought FOX and now they own BoRhap. It's part of Disney now. :thumbsup2

Yes, the Live Aid recreation alone will be hard to beat. :love:Rocketman pretty much HAD to go to a fantasy sequence to top, what is considered by many, one of the best real rock performances of all time.

It was actually the Live Aid section of BoRhap that I saw several times. I actually was on my way to see Mary Poppins Returns. I was in a multiplex. I happened to pass the door to BoRhap and realized from the start time that the Live Aid section would be showing soon. I ducked into that theatre to see it, :teleport: figuring I'd miss only 20 min of Mary Poppins, but would still be able to catch up on what I missed.

Turns out, the previews must have been really long and I would have missed 40 minutes of Mary Poppins. I felt that was too much to miss. Since I was so hyped up from seeing Live Aid, I decided to stay & watch all of BoRhap again. THAT'S when I realized I could do that the next few times I went to see BoRhap. :idea: Just arrive extra early, before the previous showing was going to end. The ticket takers didn't care. They did warn me that I'd be going in at the end of the movie. I said, "That's the best part!" :teeth: So, I've seen the full movie 4 times and the Live Aid section 7. :love:

I probably shouldn't admit this on a Disney board, but I never did get around to seeing Mary Poppins Returns. :blush: :duck: :lmao:

It's all good though, as Disney bought FOX and now they own BoRhap. It's part of Disney now. :thumbsup2

That's 11 viewings at the cinema for BoRhap! You may never top that with any other movie.

Rami was phenominal as Freddy. I sure hope this young man (forgot his name) is just as good portraying Elton.

That's 11 viewings at the cinema for BoRhap! You may never top that with any other movie.

No, it was 7 times all together. For Live Aid, I counted it twice, once was while seeing the full movie. So it was 4 times seeing the whole thing and sneaking in extra early to see it another 3 times before 3 of the 4 full times.

The problem was, I hadn't started seeing the movie when it first came out in the theatres in Nov. I didn't see it till after it won the Golden Globes and there was suddenly so much buzz. Our DIS party reminded me about the movie. So I started seeing it in Jan. And I knew it was going to be leaving the theatres soon, especially if it didn't win any other awards. So I had to squeeze in all those viewings in Jan & Feb. Thank God the Oscars were at the end of Feb. It stayed a few weeks longer than it would have, once it was nominated. :thumbsup2 By the time I saw it the last time, I was kind of over-saturated. :headache: I would have loved a few weeks between each viewing to let it sit a bit. :crazy2:

That's one of the reasons I want to see Rocketman rather early. If I really like it and want to see it a couple more times, I want some breather time in between.

I want to see it, but will probably wait until it is streaming. DH and I loved Bohemian Rhapsody. Sadly I hated All That Jazz. I hope I like this one more.

No, it was 7 times all together. For Live Aid, I counted it twice, once was while seeing the full movie. So it was 4 times seeing the whole thing and sneaking in extra early to see it another 3 times before 3 of the 4 full times.

The problem was, I hadn't started seeing the movie when it first came out in the theatres in Nov. I didn't see it till after it won the Golden Globes and there was suddenly so much buzz. Our DIS party reminded me about the movie. So I started seeing it in Jan. And I knew it was going to be leaving the theatres soon, especially if it didn't win any other awards. So I had to squeeze in all those viewings in Jan & Feb. Thank God the Oscars were at the end of Feb. It stayed a few weeks longer than it would have, once it was nominated. :thumbsup2 By the time I saw it the last time, I was kind of over-saturated. :headache: I would have loved a few weeks between each viewing to let it sit a bit. :crazy2:

That's one of the reasons I want to see Rocketman rather early. If I really like it and want to see it a couple more times, I want some breather time in between.
How do you feel about the actor who played Elton?

Saw it tonight. Excellent. Taron sounds and looks amazingly like Elton. Elton wanted a warts and all biopic, so you’ve got the sex, drugs, and rock and roll. You will hate his parents (Bryce Dallas Howard and Steven Mackintosh do an excellent job doing that). You will like his stepfather though. Not a spoiler but the end credits show stills from scenes in the movie next to the actual photos of Elton and others that inspired the scene. The music is not always done chronologically, but is used to set the musical/ dance sequences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter