Rocketman - Who's going see it? (HIDDEN Spoilers only, Please.)

Imzadi

♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!
Rocketman, the musical fantasy biopic about Elton John's life opens on Friday. I'm looking forward to go seeing it. :hyper: I rarely see movies in theatres anymore and was quite surprised to have loved Bohemian Rhapsody, as much as I did, that I had to see it on the big screen a few several times. :yay: The last time I loved a movie that much, I think, was watching the destruction of a Death Star, or when Indiana Jones came running out of a forest with a huge stone roller ball following him. I hope I'll have a similar reaction to Rocketman.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eLec60bGd2c/WvOLZp0C-6I/AAAAAAAAASk/gwhNGsfj6M00070DAShKV4mq7kXwpy-FwCLcBGAs/s1600/CrossingFingers2.gif

Rocketman, was directed by the man who finished directing Bohemian Rhapsody, after the director, Bryan Singer, went AWOL on the movie after sexual misconduct allegations came out against him. FOX studio ended up firing him and asked Dexter Fletcher to finish the 30% left of BoRhap, before going on to direct Rocketman, (also produced by FOX at that time. Although, it ended up with Paramount Studios.) One producer at FOX said to him: "I told Dexter, 'This is going to be '70s pop icon boot camp for you,' " Vaughn says. "It'd give him even more confidence when he went in to do Rocketman." And while Fletcher was making Rocketman, BoRhap won Best Picture at the Golden Globes and was nominated also at the BAFTAs and Academy Awards. And Rami Malek had a clean sweep of ALL four awards, (which included the SAG Awards.) Rami gave a special thanks to Fletcher at the BAFTAs.

Let's hope that extra experience making another musical movie and the award wins have given Dexter Fletcher what he needed to hit Rocketman, out of the ball park. :yay:

Anyone else also going to see it? :hyper:

I would love to watch it, but would love it even more if I knew that it was age appropriate for my 10 yr old. I'd have to see it first, and I don't know that I'd go to the theater to do so. I'm bummed at the R rating because of it. However, I am pretty liberal with my kid, she has seen Begin Again several times (I saw it first) and loves the music. But I don't want heavy duty hoochie koochie, and no, I don't mean just boys kissing. She used to watch Glee with me since she was a babe, and she is more than used to gay story lines. I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, either, and am waiting for it to come out on cable.

*raises hand* Me!

I was raised on Elton John. My dad took me to see him when I was 14. I had hoped there would be a way I could get my dad to this movie but unfortunately he passed in November. My oldest is going to take me. It’s going to be an emotional movie for us both.

I would love to watch it, but would love it even more if I knew that it was age appropriate for my 10 yr old. I'd have to see it first, and I don't know that I'd go to the theater to do so. I'm bummed at the R rating because of it. However, I am pretty liberal with my kid, she has seen Begin Again several times (I saw it first) and loves the music. But I don't want heavy duty hoochie koochie, and no, I don't mean just boys kissing. She used to watch Glee with me since she was a babe, and she is more than used to gay story lines. I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, either, and am waiting for it to come out on cable.

I totally get your concern. After enough parents here have seen it, you will probably get a majority consensus one way or another whether she will be able to see it or not. Or when to rip her out of her chair under the guise of, "Let's get more popcorn!" and miss 5 minutes of the movie. ;) One of the good things about the DIS being so family oriented. :thumbsup2

*raises hand* Me!

I was raised on Elton John.

Yes! I think that's why I had such a strong reaction to Bohemian Rhapsody. It was literally part of the soundtrack to my own life, around the same time that I watched Star Wars & Indiana Jones. I think think the music re-triggered memories & feelings of experiencing some really great entertainment. :cloud9: And I was always more familiar with Elton John than even Queen during that time. :music: I'm really hoping it's just as good.

My dad took me to see him when I was 14. I had hoped there would be a way I could get my dad to this movie but unfortunately he passed in November. My oldest is going to take me. It’s going to be an emotional movie for us both.

I'm sorry for your loss. :hug: I hope the movie is good enough that it gives you happy memories that will help keep your dad close to you. That one day in the future, you can pull the movie out and just have the happy memories of your dad and not the tears.

No. I very much like his music but have never been very impressed with him as a person.

Yes. I'm pretty certain Tina Turner, who was about to go on a tour with him after her comeback, and abruptly cut the tour short, will not be going to see it either. :duck: She can and will however, always praise Mick Jaggar for his generosity & part in her comeback. :thumbsup2

Not to keep harping on BoRhap, but, even though it wasn't the darker, R-rated movie and poster boy movie that some people wanted it to be, it did show that Freddie was also an *** for a time.

I hope Rocketman also shows a balance of that in Elton.

No. I very much like his music but have never been very impressed with him as a person.
I don't know a whole lot about him; it's been a very long time since I've taken any interest in celebrities. I'll probably see the movie though because his music harkens me back to my misspent youth. :goodvibes I'm not a big music fan in general and most of what I hear now includes a pipe organ and choir gowns (jk) but it might be a nice trip down memory lane. My Big 3 were Billy Joel, Rod Stewart and Elton John. Elton John is the only one I've not managed to see in concert.

He’s never been shy about admitting that he’s a diva and not easy to work with. I’ve always thought it was because he couldn’t be who he was. I’m hoping the movie will enlighten me on that.
Yes! I think that's why I had such a strong reaction to Bohemian Rhapsody. It was literally part of the soundtrack to my own life, around the same time that I watched Star Wars & Indiana Jones. I think think the music re-triggered memories & feelings of experiencing some really great entertainment. :cloud9: And I was always more familiar with Elton John than even Queen during that time. :music: I'm really hoping it's just as good.

I'm sorry for your loss. :hug: I hope the movie is good enough that it gives you happy memories that will help keep your dad close to you. That one day in the future, you can pull the movie out and just have the happy memories of your dad and not the tears.
Thank you.
I'm a huge Elton John fan all the way back to Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy so YES I will see it.
My kids always request Madman Across the Water when they’re in my truck. I had hoped that’s what the movie would be called but his more Pop like stuff is what made him popular. I’m sure there’s a whole slew of people who consider themselves fans but have never heard of Captain Fantastic, Madman or Tumbleweed Connection.

I don't know a whole lot about him; it's been a very long time since I've taken any interest in celebrities. I'll probably see the movie though because his music harkens me back to my misspent youth. :goodvibes I'm not a big music fan in general and most of what I hear now includes a pipe organ and choir gowns (jk) but it might be a nice trip down memory lane. My Big 3 were Billy Joel, Rod Stewart and Elton John. Elton John is the only one I've not managed to see in concert.

I always wanted to see Elton John and Billy Joel play back to back baby grands.

Bohemian Rhapsody tried to be too serious, but it was a determent to the story because they decided to veer away from reality in dramatic ways which ruined its authenticity for me. Don't tell me the story of Freddie Mercury and then claim he knew he had HIV before Live AID. That's a load of horse pucky! Plus the editing was atrocious.

Rocketman looks screwball. At one point, an entire audience is levitating. Apparently this is because that was how Elton John remembered the concert, since he was on all the drugs. Sounds like a movie I will enjoy.

I won tickets to a pre-screening and saw it last night
Totally amazing! Worth staying up late for.

To the parent wondering about taking your 10 year old - I say go for it. No full nudity or heavy duty action, there is one sex scene but its more implied than actually showing the action. PM me if you want to know when it is. :)

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will be better than Bohemian Rhapsody which was just freaking awful. I have no idea how that film got ANY critical acclaim. Hilariously inaccurate to boot.

Bohemian Rhapsody tried to be too serious, but it was a determent to the story because they decided to veer away from reality in dramatic ways which ruined its authenticity for me. Don't tell me the story of Freddie Mercury and then claim he knew he had HIV before Live AID. That's a load of horse pucky! Plus the editing was atrocious.

Rocketman looks screwball. At one point, an entire audience is levitating. Apparently this is because that was how Elton John remembered the concert, since he was on all the drugs. Sounds like a movie I will enjoy.

I read an article comparing Rocketman and Bohemian Rap. And it said that Rocketman is supposed to be Elton John remembering his life while in rehab. So a lot of it is drug hazed memories sort of.

Love Elton John and his music. I want to see the movie but am really wondering about it with the description from that article. But with the amount of drugs he used during that time of his career, his memories probably are pretty out there.

To the parent wondering about taking your 10 year old - I say go for it. No full nudity or heavy duty action, there is one sex scene but its more implied than actually showing the action. PM me if you want to know when it is. :)

I am so glad you posted!! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Brings back my excitement to see it.

There's advance screenings here tonight too. I'm debating on whether to go. I might want to play all of Elton's songs when I get home :music: and I have to be up way too early to be doing that. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter