Rocketman - Who's going see it? (HIDDEN Spoilers only, Please.)

He’s never been shy about admitting that he’s a diva and not easy to work with. I’ve always thought it was because he couldn’t be who he was. I’m hoping the movie will enlighten me on that.

Thank you.

My kids always request Madman Across the Water when they’re in my truck. I had hoped that’s what the movie would be called but his more Pop like stuff is what made him popular. I’m sure there’s a whole slew of people who consider themselves fans but have never heard of Captain Fantastic, Madman or Tumbleweed Connection.

You're right wenrob--he has always been the DIVA and is notorious for his hissy fits and demanding nature.
Madman Across the Water is one of my all time favorite albums! Elton and I go way back. . . :rotfl2: I want to see the movie (although I have heard it doesn't compare to Bohemian Rhapsody which I loved and I am not a huge [or wasn't] Queen fan). I didn't see BR in the theaters and, in fact, only saw it a couple of weeks ago on our flight to Disney--it has "haunted" me since and I want to see it again.

Rocketman seems to place a lot of emphasis on the drug use/abuse in the 70s and bad choices which were common in the RnR industry of the era. Anyway, I hope to see it--maybe on my next flight to Disney in October. :rotfl:

I would love to watch it, but would love it even more if I knew that it was age appropriate for my 10 yr old. I'd have to see it first, and I don't know that I'd go to the theater to do so. I'm bummed at the R rating because of it. However, I am pretty liberal with my kid, she has seen Begin Again several times (I saw it first) and loves the music. But I don't want heavy duty hoochie koochie, and no, I don't mean just boys kissing. She used to watch Glee with me since she was a babe, and she is more than used to gay story lines. I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, either, and am waiting for it to come out on cable.
Personally, I would not take a 10 year old. There is quite a bit of implicit sex, some of it extremely crude, although there is no full frontal nudity. More of an issue though is that it is NOT a happy film; despite the music and bright costumes. For the most part is is very emotionally fraying in that it focuses on the deep motivations for Elton John's behaviour. Even if you are OK with that type of content, I'm just not sure a 10 year old would find it too entertaining.

Personally, I would not take a 10 year old. There is quite a bit of implicit sex, some of it extremely crude, although there is no full frontal nudity. More of an issue though is that it is NOT a happy film; despite the music and bright costumes. For the most part is is very emotionally fraying in that it focuses on the deep motivations for Elton John's behaviour. Even if you are OK with that type of content, I'm just not sure a 10 year old would find it too entertaining.
[/QUOTE
Good to know. I'm sure I'll watch it eventually and then decide. I don't need uncomfortable moments in the theater!

Rocketman, the musical fantasy biopic about Elton John's life opens on Friday. I'm looking forward to go seeing it. :hyper: I rarely see movies in theatres anymore and was quite surprised to have loved Bohemian Rhapsody, as much as I did, that I had to see it on the big screen a few several times. :yay: The last time I loved a movie that much, I think, was watching the destruction of a Death Star, or when Indiana Jones came running out of a forest with a huge stone roller ball following him. I hope I'll have a similar reaction to Rocketman.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eLec60bGd2c/WvOLZp0C-6I/AAAAAAAAASk/gwhNGsfj6M00070DAShKV4mq7kXwpy-FwCLcBGAs/s1600/CrossingFingers2.gif

Rocketman, was directed by the man who finished directing Bohemian Rhapsody, after the director, Bryan Singer, went AWOL on the movie after sexual misconduct allegations came out against him. FOX studio ended up firing him and asked Dexter Fletcher to finish the 30% left of BoRhap, before going on to direct Rocketman, (also produced by FOX at that time. Although, it ended up with Paramount Studios.) One producer at FOX said to him: "I told Dexter, 'This is going to be '70s pop icon boot camp for you,' " Vaughn says. "It'd give him even more confidence when he went in to do Rocketman." And while Fletcher was making Rocketman, BoRhap won Best Picture at the Golden Globes and was nominated also at the BAFTAs and Academy Awards. And Rami Malek had a clean sweep of ALL four awards, (which included the SAG Awards.) Rami gave a special thanks to Fletcher at the BAFTAs.

Let's hope that extra experience making another musical movie and the award wins have given Dexter Fletcher what he needed to hit Rocketman, out of the ball park. :yay:

Anyone else also going to see it? :hyper:
@Imzadi, did you see Rocketman? I'd love to read your review of it :)

I finally saw Rocketman. I'll probably not be in the majority, but that's okay. This is how I feel. Feel free to think differently. :)

After all that anticipation,
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
I didn't care for it.
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
:duck: No, it wasn't because I was comparing it to Bohemian Rhapsody. It's quite apparent from the first song that Rocketman is a traditional "musical," with someone bursting into song and an ensemble, fancifully coming out of the woodwork as backup singers & dancers. It's in the style of La La Land, or Mamma Mia. Whereas, Bohemian Rhapsody is more in the form of a "documentary," following the lives of Freddie Mercury & Queen and staying rather chronological. (Although, not quite accurate at times, for drama's sake.) So, there's really no comparison of the two, other than they are both famous musicians of the 70s and on and their battles with drugs, fame & identity crises.

I though Rocketman was boring in parts and could have used a lot of editing to tighten up some of scenes. At the same time, where they had pruned, it could have used more development between the relationships between Elton & others and made us, (well ME, since I'm only speaking for me,) CARE more about Elton. There's a basic problem in a film when viewers don't care about the main characters. I felt really, "Meh!" about him. Even if the character isn't likeable, there are ways to write the character to make him interesting, intriguing, fascinating, etc. I didn't feel any of those things.

So what I was left with was waiting for my favorite songs. I felt like I would have preferred to have watched it at home when it came on my TV. Then, I could get up during the boring parts to get something to eat & drink and come back to see if something more interesting is finally happening or a song I liked came on.

But, I felt there was something even weird about how they did the songs. Yes, they were often done big and sensational and a lot going on. Sometimes, I thought too much going on that it distracted from what the singing was about. Taron Egerton did a great job singing and dancing. Although, he didn't really sound exactly like Elton John. Close, but not exact. They could have fixed that by using an equalizer and adding more bass to his voice.

Yet, I wonder :scratchin if Elton actually wanted Taron to sound like Taron. In every interview I saw with Elton, he made sure to mention how Taron sang every song, throwing shade at Bohemian Rhapsody. I think they actually wanted people to know it was Taron singing, and not lip-syncing, like Rami Malek in BoRhap. (But Freddie Mercury had a 4 octave range. And Queen spanned so many styles of music that when they did Freddie Mercury tribute to Freddie, 6 months after he died, it took 20 different other famous rock musicians, including Elton John, to sing all the songs. No one artist, at the time, could sing all the songs and do them justice. And Freddie was loved that much by his contemporaries, that they all showed up.)

However, while the songs in Rocketman are visually spectacular, I felt dissatisfied after the songs were over. I'm still befuddled as to WHY??? :confused: It's like the songs didn't finish or something. At one point I even wondered if they sang the complete songs all the way through. That maybe they only sang the first verse & the chorus and I was used to hearing a whole complete song and wanted that. I can't put my finger on it. :scratchin And I have no intention of watching the movie again to figure out what it was.

I DID find a review by the New York Times which described the same thing:

"The other thing you want is Elton John’s music, a desire that “Rocketman” by turns satisfies, sharpens and frustrates. The songs aren’t quite the way you remember them, and in most cases the new versions are put to effective dramatic use. But they don’t quite stand alone, and they’re unlikely to displace the originals on anyone’s streaming playlist."​

Finally, I thought Rocketman ended at a disappointing spot. When it ended, I thought, "THAT'S where they are ending it???" :eek: :headache: Elton John has accomplished so much in his life, AFTER where the movie ended. They only touch upon that stuff, in the same way BoRhap did with some photos at the end, mentioning what happens in the future. Elton could have taught and inspired so much by putting that stuff in the movie, in my opinion.

Again, this is only MY opinion. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from going. It got many good reviews and a high score on Rotten Tomatoes. So, go for yourself and form your own opinions. popcorn:: :thumbsup2

Me, I'm now anticipating my next musical movie, premiering at the end of the month: Yesterday. It's about a man who wakes up in a world where no one knows about or has ever heard a Beatles song. No I'm not talking about millennials or Gen Z people. :lmao: This movie looks funny and endearing. In the story, someone wants the main character to change the lyrics of "Hey Jude," to "Hey Dude." :rotfl:

Just got back. I both loved and hated it.

The hate:
It should have been billed as a musical. I felt like I didn’t get to enjoy the music because they were musical numbers vs. Elton John songs. A lot of them weren’t historically accurate either because of the way they were used to tell the story. I did not get why it was so important for this kid to do his own singing when it was clearly all dubbed in. My DD disagrees with me on this and says she didn’t feel they were dubbed. That said, I felt he did a good job and at some points sounded more like Elton back in the day than Elton does now. Anyway, if you hate musicals you might hate this movie but in the same breath it really is worth sticking it out because you really do get a better look at Elton John.

The Love:
Well, the outfits, of course. I recognized every single one except the rehab costume. Honestly don’t know if that one was real or not. It was like seeing my childhood parade across the screen in living color. Even the stuff he wore in regular scenes was very familiar. At one point I leaned over to DD and said, “I was five around this time, we lived in North Hollywood.”

I thought Taron Egerton NAILED Elton from his expressions and mannerisms to the absolute (to put it nicely) Diva he could be. They were so careful with costuming that the padding or lack of padding they used felt cheap next to the rest. Elton John had real struggles with his weight and I felt like they kind of glossed over that.

The movie was poignant and heartbreaking.

The best part of the movie for me was Elton John and Bernie Taupin’s friendship. Everyone should have a Bernie Taupin in their corner.

On a side note: I mentioned earlier in the thread I had wanted to take my dad. Well, Dad would have absolutely hated it. 😂
I agree with this. I’m pretty liberal but I’m not sure I’d even let my 13 year olds see it. There would be a lot of talks about drugs and casual sex after. Kids these days won’t get that’s just the way it was then. And it’s a very sad movie. I think you have to have a certain amount of life experience to understand the emotional scars depicted.

I finally saw Rocketman. I'll probably not be in the majority, but that's okay. This is how I feel. Feel free to think differently. :)

After all that anticipation,
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
I didn't care for it.
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
:duck: No, it wasn't because I was comparing it to Bohemian Rhapsody. It's quite apparent from the first song that Rocketman is a traditional "musical," with someone bursting into song and an ensemble, fancifully coming out of the woodwork as backup singers & dancers. It's in the style of La La Land, or Mamma Mia. Whereas, Bohemian Rhapsody is more in the form of a "documentary," following the lives of Freddie Mercury & Queen and staying rather chronological. (Although, not quite accurate at times, for drama's sake.) So, there's really no comparison of the two, other than they are both famous musicians of the 70s and on and their battles with drugs, fame & identity crises.

I though Rocketman was boring in parts and could have used a lot of editing to tighten up some of scenes. At the same time, where they had pruned, it could have used more development between the relationships between Elton & others and made us, (well ME, since I'm only speaking for me,) CARE more about Elton. There's a basic problem in a film when viewers don't care about the main characters. I felt really, "Meh!" about him. Even if the character isn't likeable, there are ways to write the character to make him interesting, intriguing, fascinating, etc. I didn't feel any of those things.

So what I was left with was waiting for my favorite songs. I felt like I would have preferred to have watched it at home when it came on my TV. Then, I could get up during the boring parts to get something to eat & drink and come back to see if something more interesting is finally happening or a song I liked came on.

But, I felt there was something even weird about how they did the songs. Yes, they were often done big and sensational and a lot going on. Sometimes, I thought too much going on that it distracted from what the singing was about. Taron Egerton did a great job singing and dancing. Although, he didn't really sound exactly like Elton John. Close, but not exact. They could have fixed that by using an equalizer and adding more bass to his voice.

Yet, I wonder :scratchin if Elton actually wanted Taron to sound like Taron. In every interview I saw with Elton, he made sure to mention how Taron sang every song, throwing shade at Bohemian Rhapsody. I think they actually wanted people to know it was Taron singing, and not lip-syncing, like Rami Malek in BoRhap. (But Freddie Mercury had a 4 octave range. And Queen spanned so many styles of music that when they did Freddie Mercury tribute to Freddie, 6 months after he died, it took 20 different other famous rock musicians, including Elton John, to sing all the songs. No one artist, at the time, could sing all the songs and do them justice. And Freddie was loved that much by his contemporaries, that they all showed up.)

However, while the songs in Rocketman are visually spectacular, I felt dissatisfied after the songs were over. I'm still befuddled as to WHY??? :confused: It's like the songs didn't finish or something. At one point I even wondered if they sang the complete songs all the way through. That maybe they only sang the first verse & the chorus and I was used to hearing a whole complete song and wanted that. I can't put my finger on it. :scratchin And I have no intention of watching the movie again to figure out what it was.

I DID find a review by the New York Times which described the same thing:

"The other thing you want is Elton John’s music, a desire that “Rocketman” by turns satisfies, sharpens and frustrates. The songs aren’t quite the way you remember them, and in most cases the new versions are put to effective dramatic use. But they don’t quite stand alone, and they’re unlikely to displace the originals on anyone’s streaming playlist."​

Finally, I thought Rocketman ended at a disappointing spot. When it ended, I thought, "THAT'S where they are ending it???" :eek: :headache: Elton John has accomplished so much in his life, AFTER where the movie ended. They only touch upon that stuff, in the same way BoRhap did with some photos at the end, mentioning what happens in the future. Elton could have taught and inspired so much by putting that stuff in the movie, in my opinion.

Again, this is only MY opinion. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from going. It got many good reviews and a high score on Rotten Tomatoes. So, go for yourself and form your own opinions. popcorn:: :thumbsup2

Me, I'm now anticipating my next musical movie, premiering at the end of the month: Yesterday. It's about a man who wakes up in a world where no one knows about or has ever heard a Beatles song. No I'm not talking about millennials or Gen Z people. :lmao: This movie looks funny and endearing. In the story, someone wants the main character to change the lyrics of "Hey Jude," to "Hey Dude." :rotfl:
I agree with the music thing. I got super excited during Crocodile Rock like, “here we go” and then...thud. If was very frustrating.

I also want to see Yesterday! Even my younger kids know who The Beatles are. I can’t imagine a world where no one knows who they are, lol.

Not reading the comments until the weekend as DH and I are probably going on Friday. Our local reviewer gave it top marks.

I agree with this. I’m pretty liberal but I’m not sure I’d even let my 13 year olds see it. There would be a lot of talks about drugs and casual sex after. Kids these days won’t get that’s just the way it was then. And it’s a very sad movie. I think you have to have a certain amount of life experience to understand the emotional scars depicted.

I agree with both of you. I wouldn't bring a 10 yr old, nor a 13 yr old. This may be a "musical" but it's not a happy-go-lucky, light, fun time. There is a sex scene that might go over a 10 yr old's head, or it might stick in her head, as she's wondering why was that guy kneeling down like that and then the other guy is now fixing his belt and why was the third guy all mad at the two? And drugs are rampant all over the place. Although, that could be a teaching moment as to the effects it has and what not to do. But, I don't think the overall content would be of interest to kids.

I agree with the music thing. I got super excited during Crocodile Rock like, “here we go” and then...thud. If was very frustrating.

Yes! I did the same thing. When Crocodile Rock came on, I thought, "Here we go. Crocodile Rock is an upbeat, bouncy song. I should finally get an Elton John music high."
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal

Then. . . THUD.

What. Just. Happened???
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal

My only, and favorite moment in the whole movie was when Elton sung "Your Song." It was done very, very simply. No spectacle. No back up singers & dancers. Just an extremely special moment between Elton & Bernie. :cloud9: I'm sure someday, someone will put that clip on YouTube for those who miss the movie.

Last edited:
Yes! I did the same thing. When Crocodile Rock came on, I thought, "Here we go. Crocodile Rock is an upbeat, bouncy song. I should finally get an Elton John music high."
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal

Then. . . THUD.

What. Just. Happened???
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal

My only, and favorite moment in the whole movie was when Elton sung "Your Song." It was done very, very simply. No spectacle. No back up singers & dancers. Just an extremely special moment between Elton & Bernie. :cloud9: I'm sure someday, someone will put that clip on YouTube for those who miss the movie.
I agree about “Your Song.” Simple and heartfelt. He tells the story of how “Your Song” came to be during his show. The friendship between them was by far my favorite part of the movie.

Glad to know they at least salvaged "Your Song." That was my husband's and my wedding song and I'm pretty partial to it. My son and his friends went to see the movie today. DS said it was great but not even close to Bohemian Rhapsody. One of his friends said it was 3 times better than BoRhap. I still haven't seen it, so I can't chime in. Hoping to go this weekend.

I love his music and went in with high anticipation and was disappointed, I think if I had known that it was a musical, i would've gone in with different expectations.

I love his music and went in with high anticipation and was disappointed, I think if I had known that it was a musical, i would've gone in with different expectations.
Same. I suspect DD knew and did not tell me because she knows I hate musicals. I said they should have billed it as such and she said then people like me wouldn’t have gone to see it.

I'll be there for sure.
the old stuff is the best. "Someone saved my life tonight" is one of my favs
Very minor spoiler:
That song isn’t in the movie. Many of the great ones aren’t except in very brief, instrumental snatches - talking like 3 or 4 chords on the piano. I was disappointed not to hear Daniel, Candle in the Wind and Nekita.

Very minor spoiler:
That song isn’t in the movie. Many of the great ones aren’t except in very brief, instrumental snatches - talking like 3 or 4 chords on the piano. I was disappointed not to hear Daniel, Candle in the Wind and Nekita.

Actually it is. It's when Elton got married. He and his wife split the song and sung it as a duet.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter