Room Occupied Madness

I’m interested if they could make a “set” of signs, or maybe a 2 sided sign. Just to let HK know that people in the room are sleeping.

I’m interested if they could make a “set” of signs, or maybe a 2 sided sign. Just to let HK know that people in the room are sleeping.
There are signs that say the room is occupied already. Though it's not uncommon for a room to be missing the sign. Our room at AoA last week was

Wouldn't matter. They still reserve the right, and can & will, enter as intended. Dual signs, nothing would stop guests from leaving the 'Sleeping' sign ot permanently.

I don't anticipate this being an issue for us but I wonder what the response would be if I were to print up a nice Do Not Disturb sign myself and place it on the outer door knob.

Bill From PA
my guess it would be treated just like their sign. most likely get the knock as soon as discovered. sign out or refusing housekeeping seems to get you a knock

I don't disagree, but we also still have a "CONTENTS ARE HOT" warning on coffee cups because of a single incident 30 years ago.

Ha ha It is a crazy world sometimes!

I think - in terms of your previous post - this is more extreme than the coffee warning; it's more akin to them demanding to take your cup while you're midway through it, measuring the temperature and insisting you wear insulated gloves to hold it! ;) ;)

I think it was HopperFan who suggested this new policy might be more about checking for people trafficking crimes. Obviously, we want to support a system that helps address that. There must be a way of doing this that doesn't disregard so many guests' peace and privacy.

Last edited:

I don't anticipate this being an issue for us but I wonder what the response would be if I were to print up a nice Do Not Disturb sign myself and place it on the outer door knob.

Bill From PA
I could be implementing this during our trip in about a week, though I hope I won't need to. My DD has some health issues. Often she is in good health when we travel, but on occasion, her illness flares and she needs more rest. If she get sick while we're there, I will put a sign on our door. I also intend to let the resort know, at check-in (which we don't usually do; we like to go straight to our room after receiving a text that it's ready), of our situation. I am also considering calling housekeeping upon our arrival to let them know we will be out of room consistently every morning and would appreciate having it cleaned then. I am hopeful we won't have any issues. If we do, we'll look into staying offsite. Sad because I love staying at Disney, but it just might not work for us any longer.

Maybe I should just sleep in my car, now that we are paying for the privilege of having it there. They can see right through the windows so they know what’s going on in the car, so no need to knock. It’s a hybrid so I can run a/c all night with minimal gas usage. If it just had a bathroom, I’d be all set! :rotfl2:

I didn’t have any issues on my last trip, which was good, but it doesn’t alleviate the anxiety since the policies are not enforced uniformly across property. I go to sleep every night unable to fully relax because I might be interrupted. It’s like the difference between going to sleep on a work night when you know the alarm is set and will wake you early, and going to sleep on Friday night knowing you can wake up when you wake up. One is much more restful than the other.

So if I had the room occupied and was taking a shower, someone could just come in?

There have been some reports of people being in the bathroom and housekeeping coming in, or attempting to undo the door latch to come in. Most of the reports I have read of people actually entering the room have not had the latch engaged, so it’s important to do that when you don’t want someone to just come in. It will at least buy you a few seconds to throw on a bathrobe.

No one has the right to walk in on you. Ever. I get that they can make their own "rules", but are we so weak that we just resign ourselves to accepting hotel employees can open a guest's door at any time of the day, under the guise of making sure we're not up to something sinister? This DOES NOT happen at other hotels. This is not normal and should never be considered so.

No one has the right to walk in on you. Ever. I get that they can make their own "rules", but are we so weak that we just resign ourselves to accepting hotel employees can open a guest's door at any time of the day, under the guise of making sure we're not up to something sinister?

By accepting the Terms and Conditions when booking a room, yes.

THIS DOES NOT happen at other hotels. This is not normal and should never be considered so.

Unfortunately, yes it does. However most other hotels doing the daily, or twice daily, room checks are handling it a bit better.

Unfortunately, yes it does. However most other hotels doing the daily, or twice daily, room checks are handling it a bit better.
Could that be, in part, due to the reason for the check at other resorts? There has been a lot of speculation that Disney is doing this because of human trafficking legislation, not because of the Vegas shooting. If some hotel chains are doing checks as a result of the shooting and working to prevent another event like that, their criteria may be different from a hotel doing checks because of trafficking. I have stayed at Hilton brand hotels as well as Disney hotels since both started room checks, and they just feel totally different, like their goals aren’t the same.

And unfortunately for me, it means no one cleans up after me or makes my bed. It's like I'm not on vacation. I get that works for others but I just can't give up one of the main reasons I go on vacation, to get a break from housework.
I can totally respect that viewpoint. For us however it depends. We stayed in a for rent by owner townhouse (covered parking included) in Austin, TX one year and it was perfect for 5 adults at a reasonable price. A hotel for traveling with adults isn't always our cost effective way and often would mean sharing the room with my sister-in-law (which call me crazy but I'm beyond the time where sharing a room is ideal) if she comes with us or the one time we had to share a hotel room with my sister-in-law and her boyfriend (and I won't do that again :scared:)

But we also did a for rent by owner condo in Makaha, Hawaii (up to 2 parking spots included for no additional cost in a gated community too) and that was really one of the only ways we could reasonably spend the $ on (though it was just my husband and I). It was a little over $1,000 for 7 days plus just over $100 for an extra night {however that was 50% off in Waikiki} (and hotel accomodations in Hawaii typically aren't all that reasonable in price) and we got a very private beach (1 day there was like 30 people there all the other days it was less than 10 people) and this amazing view:
upload_2018-3-21_21-27-47.png

For us is far more than cleaning/not cleaning, cooking/not cooking, etc and those don't mean the difference between feeling like it's vacation vs not feeling like it's vacation. Us being able to stay for a reasonable price (oftentimes longer too) and have better accommodations for our traveling party or have better amenities (like a beach, the view, etc) comes into play in regards to a hotel room or for rent by owner type situation. I totally get your thoughts though.

*I know :offtopic: for the overall thread*

I've never "checked out" of a WDW resort room. Once the sign is off my door the day of checkout, that means I'm gone. Until then, leave me alone.
Come to think of it I don't think we've ever been disturbed on check out day period by housekeeping (for vacationing in general) and we don't stay past the check out time either (unless we've requested a late check out). And we often don't actually physically check out..we just leave at the places that allow us to (as is becoming more commonplace). That sign is pretty important in terms of signifying someone is still in there, and they have every right to be prior to official check out time. I actually hadn't considered TBH what you would do for places where the DND (or its equvilent) is no longer there in terms of check out day.

There have been some reports of people being in the bathroom and housekeeping coming in, or attempting to undo the door latch to come in. Most of the reports I have read of people actually entering the room have not had the latch engaged, so it’s important to do that when you don’t want someone to just come in. It will at least buy you a few seconds to throw on a bathrobe.

My guess is I would not hear them knocking or unhooking the latch, so I wouldnt have any time. My hearing isnt great ao if the bathroom door was closed and the water was running Id have no idea someone was in the room. Hopefully they would leave if they heard the water shut off. What I dont know doesnt bother me!

No one has the right to walk in on you. Ever. I get that they can make their own "rules", but are we so weak that we just resign ourselves to accepting hotel employees can open a guest's door at any time of the day, under the guise of making sure we're not up to something sinister? This DOES NOT happen at other hotels. This is not normal and should never be considered so.

It does, you simply have not experienced it. My family was in Aruba and my DH and I were resting in the afternoon. The maid came in and saw us, (I was asleep but woke up) so she simply went into the master bath and started cleaning. I guess the schedule trumps all there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter