Room Occupied Madness

ABSOLUTELY is a difference in the two policies. ::yes::

I stayed at Disney in January and experienced their new policy daily, including a creepy encounter when a man met us at the door after coming out of a stairway heading straight for us ... and left immediately after not checking any of the other 24 rooms I could see. This at a time that was different from all our other experiences with the daily checks ... and no doubt in my mind it was deliberate. I proceeded to book 3 next stays off-site at Hiltons.

I just came back from my first Hilton offsite stay. I was given a very clear DND sign, I had a letter in my room telling me to use the sign and they would not knock or disturb me in any way. I had a couple days were we were not out fast and back in the afternoon before the shift ended ... never bothered in any way.

The two signs, the two policies, are completely different.
I'm sorry you had a creepy experience as that would certainly scare me as well. You don't say if you felt it was a Disney employee or not but in either case if I did think someone was stalking the hallways or my door I'd inform the front desk immediately since from my POV it would be important and hope you did the same.

I realise you frequently stay off site and are a FL resident so imagine you are in the know on relevant and up to date info on the local room check law/regulation. Have they passed yet?

Hilton issued a memo to various members of its staff about it's policy change as well as a statement to it's stockholders, news organistations, and underwriters regarding it's DND policy change and can't imagine why some aren't following it. Or maybe they are and you just don't realise it.
Still if it gives you a better sense of security it's all good.

I'm sorry you had a creepy experience as that would certainly scare me as well. You don't say if you felt it was a Disney employee or not but in either case if I did think someone was stalking the hallways or my door I'd inform the front desk immediately since from my POV it would be important and hope you did the same.

I realise you frequently stay off site and are a FL resident so imagine you are in the know on relevant and up to date info on the local room check law/regulation. Have they passed yet?

Hilton issued a memo to various members of its staff about it's policy change as well as a statement to it's stockholders, news organistations, and underwriters regarding it's DND policy change and can't imagine why some aren't following it. Or maybe they are and you just don't realise it.
Still if it gives you a better sense of security it's all good.

- It was a Disney employee as I refused to open my door and stepped back. I told him I wouldn't open it and I certainly would not go in the room with him. If he was legit, he could open it. He opened it. When he came out I stayed put and he pulled it closed. I could watch him as he threw the latch on. No doubt in my mind he was there to see me, not the room. This would explain why he suddenly appeared, walked down the hall direct to me and my MagicBand, then after went back to the stairs and left. And I think that is why so many checks are happening why guests are in their rooms. It's more about verifying the guest than it is "looking for something."

- I stay onsite more than offsite ... until now. I am "not" a FL Resident, I have a FL home and qualify by Disney standards for FL resident perks. I do go to Disney about 6 times a year. I am not aware of any changes or addition of laws regarding hotel room checks. I do know that they were unable to pass the legislation that would have let victims of trafficking sue the hotels that "turned a blind eye" and this would certainly have impacted Disney. Given that it died last month, perhaps that is why there seems to have been less reports.

- I did not say that Hilton wasn't following their procedure which is my understanding if a sign is up for 24 hours straight. Even the Las Vegas hotels have reportedly pulled back on "room checks." What I said is the hotel provided me a DND sign and a letter stating that while the sign is up they would not disturb me. And they had ample times to do so, they honored the sign. I am sure the fine print still says if I leave it out there for 24 hours they can do a well/security check.

- Better sense of security? Not sure which way you mean but .... Disney's procedure made me feel unsafe.

Last edited:

Step 1:
Put do not disturb sign on door.
Step 2:
Wait just inside the door with air horn.
Step 3:
If they come in unexpectedly you know what to do. :)
Step 1:
There is no Do Not Disturb sign, and it's more than reasonable to expect any such sign would be ignored.
Step 2:
Seriously?
Step 3:
What not to do is attack anyone simply performing their assigned job duties.

No one has the right to walk in on you. Ever. I get that they can make their own "rules", but are we so weak that we just resign ourselves to accepting hotel employees can open a guest's door at any time of the day, under the guise of making sure we're not up to something sinister? This DOES NOT happen at other hotels. This is not normal and should never be considered so.
Oh thank goodness you said it.
How much of our privacy are we willing to give away in the name of keeping us safe?!? When is enough enough? And exactly what are they keeping us safe from? Do you think it’s not possible for someone who wanted to blow up a resort to hide their guns or bombs or whatever in suitcases until they decided to use them? Like somehow housekeeping walking in once a day is protecting us from anything? It’s ludicrous.
IMO this new policy is simply carte blanche to profile guests and walk in anytime with no resistance.. after all.. you’ve been warned.:rolleyes:

Do the hotels at Universal do this?

NO!! We stayed at the Hard Rock hotel in February. We had a DND sign and it was honored. While Disney's customer service continues to decline, Universal's customer service is amazing! We can make room requests by calling the actual hotel (no call center), the request is honored. Also, we had a free night and a continuing reservation. They actually told me upon check in that the reservations were linked and we just had to get new keys the next day- no question about do we have to move rooms. (we had to jump through many hoops when we had two continuing reservations at Disney in order to keep the same room).

If people really realized how little these checks were doing they would probably not just accept whatever Disney wants .. no , most hotels do not do this ... even hotels steps away from a major terrorist attack I had a DND and was not bothered one time .
We did not get bothered on our recent ( and last ) trip but that was probably because we had HK and room service in our room a few times ... but if you think they are really helping I’m telling you from our experience they are simply “ doing what they are told” and not really paying attention .
They did not knock on check out BUT that is probably because I woke up early to go to the lobby for a drink and caught her one room from mine and let her know we would be sleeping and will be checked out buy 11am.

Oh thank goodness you said it.
How much of our privacy are we willing to give away in the name of keeping us safe?!? When is enough enough? And exactly what are they keeping us safe from? Do you think it’s not possible for someone who wanted to blow up a resort to hide their guns or bombs or whatever in suitcases until they decided to use them? Like somehow housekeeping walking in once a day is protecting us from anything? It’s ludicrous.
IMO this new policy is simply carte blanche to profile guests and walk in anytime with no resistance.. after all.. you’ve been warned.:rolleyes:

EXACTLY!!! not to mention someone staying at a cheap hotel on 192 can simply drive to a monorail resort as a “ day guest “ without a car check and do as they please ..

Yes, I read 2 - 3 posts of early morning room checks, and I believe 1 of housekeeping unhooking the latch. I have not witnessed anything myself, nor have I heard this from anyone I personally know.

Do you have a link to this? I have read a ton of thread about these checks and don't remember anyone saying that someone actually flipped the security latch. I would be interested to read the circumstances surrounding this situation. Did they just ignore the knock, or respond, but refuse to open the door?

NO!! We stayed at the Hard Rock hotel in February. We had a DND sign and it was honored. While Disney's customer service continues to decline, Universal's customer service is amazing! We can make room requests by calling the actual hotel (no call center), the request is honored. Also, we had a free night and a continuing reservation. They actually told me upon check in that the reservations were linked and we just had to get new keys the next day- no question about do we have to move rooms. (we had to jump through many hoops when we had two continuing reservations at Disney in order to keep the same room).

We experienced this kind of amazing service at Universal in 2016 as well (our first family trip there). It was in stark contrast to Disney and completely surprising because I had very low expectations (thinking of Universal as a kind of dressed up 6 flags prior to the trip). Universal service, amenities, perks (the express pass transforms the park experience) just made Disney's decline all the more stark. We are staying at RPR this time and I am truly looking forward to it, whereas Disney has now managed to pee all over our Disney leg of the trip, and yeah, it really angers me that they've done that.

We experienced this kind of amazing service at Universal in 2016 as well (our first family trip there). It was in stark contrast to Disney and completely surprising because I had very low expectations (thinking of Universal as a kind of dressed up 6 flags prior to the trip). Universal service, amenities, perks (the express pass transforms the park experience) just made Disney's decline all the more stark. We are staying at RPR this time and I am truly looking forward to it, whereas Disney has now managed to pee all over our Disney leg of the trip, and yeah, it really angers me that they've done that.
BEST ANALOGY... u win the thread hahahaha

:rotfl2:I love your analogy!
You know, I used to think staying offsite and visiting a Disney park was a hassle. Not anymore!! I'd rather stay at a Universal hotel where I am treated like a welcome guest, receive stellar customer service and privacy, get in my car and drive 20 minutes to the Disney parks, and then back to my welcoming "home" in the evening. Rather than being tired and cranky driving back to our hotel at Universal, we are excited to get in the car and go back!!

Do you have a link to this? I have read a ton of thread about these checks and don't remember anyone saying that someone actually flipped the security latch. I would be interested to read the circumstances surrounding this situation. Did they just ignore the knock, or respond, but refuse to open the door?
Same. I'd love to read this report too. Learn the details given surrounding the situation.

Yes, I really am considering on offsite stay after reading all of these accounts, unfortunately. I'm a die-hard resort buff, but have no tolerance for someone barging into my hotel room while I'm inside it. Other hotels don't behave this way.

I'm 100% with you on that one. No cook, no clean, or it's no vacation!

That's what really riles me about this. I like getting housekeeping service, but not when I have no privacy & they feel they can enter the room at any time. This is making me seriously consider doing our first offsite stay next year. And that's sad as I really like the Disney resorts.
I feel the same way. I’ve always loved staying on site. Our first visit we stayed at a Marriott very close to DTD hotels. Hotel was nice but that trip we decided we would stay onsite in the future, and we have.
But for the first time we are considering off site again. For many reasons. The aggressive room checks, so intrusive, huge price hikes for room rates, this year for the first time 2 rate hikes in a year. Parking fees, setting the scene for possibly more extra fees.

And if check out time is 11:00 and I haven’t indicated on the online check in that I’d be leaving earlier I sure the heck don’t expect to be badgered before 11:00!

It seems Disney is really loosing it’s way, from exceptional customer service to upsetting so many.

I feel the same way. I’ve always loved staying on site. Our first visit we stayed at a Marriott very close to DTD hotels. Hotel was nice but that trip we decided we would stay onsite in the future, and we have.
But for the first time we are considering off site again. For many reasons. The aggressive room checks, so intrusive, huge price hikes for room rates, this year for the first time 2 rate hikes in a year. Parking fees, setting the scene for possibly more extra fees.

And if check out time is 11:00 and I haven’t indicated on the online check in that I’d be leaving earlier I sure the heck don’t expect to be badgered before 11:00!

It seems Disney is really loosing it’s way, from exceptional customer service to upsetting so many.

Refreshing to see this ... I was badgered on this page because I voiced the same thing ... with a little dig about “ I assume you never check in before 3 pm “ lol what a ridiculous statement haha I mean Disney tells you by text when your room is available to you and at that point it’s your room to use UNTIL 11 am check out day .. makes ZERO difference if you check in early .
We just had our LAST on site stay last week at poly and got our room ready text while driving at 5 am .. so when we arrived at 7:30 we went right to the room and unpacked .
Also a little FYI we had a good stay but always check your luggage... we apparently picked up a few hitchhikers ( roaches , the tiny ones ) YUCK !! we are in a brand new built home of less then a year and wow I hate bugs !!

I agree! We’ve stayed at Hard Rock, sadly during Tropical Storm Fay so never got to enjoy pool, and last visit at Portofino. Portofino blew me away, such a beautiful resort, and fantastic service. As much as I love GF, Portofino was hands above GF, AND cheaper by quite abit.

Love it :rotfl2:

Refreshing to see this ... I was badgered on this page because I voiced the same thing ... with a little dig about “ I assume you never check in before 3 pm “ lol what a ridiculous statement haha I mean Disney tells you by text when your room is available to you and at that point it’s your room to use UNTIL 11 am check out day .. makes ZERO difference if you check in early .
We just had our LAST on site stay last week at poly and got our room ready text while driving at 5 am .. so when we arrived at 7:30 we went right to the room and unpacked .
Also a little FYI we had a good stay but always check your luggage... we apparently picked up a few hitchhikers ( roaches , the tiny ones ) YUCK !! we are in a brand new built home of less then a year and wow I hate bugs !!

I think the person was implying there is that if the room is available before check-in time, that's likely because people have left before 11 am as well. Of course it could've been a room unoccupied as well. That said, they shouldn't be trying to rush people out of the room early, but they probably are under a lot of pressure to turn rooms at a certain rate.

Yep-we use our room as soon as it's ready (we've had rooms as early as 7am and as late as 5pm) and expect to use it (and pay to do so) until the day of checkout ( we've left anywhere from 4am to noon when we received a late checkout).

EEK!! So sorry about those nasty "hitchhikers"!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter