[Rumor] DCA only AP

Expect it to rise even more.
I do actually. I have a feeling the increases won't be as drastic since the has been a noticeable change in the crowds. I just don't think we'll be seeing the 20-30% increases in the coming years

Well, we know Disneyland is increasing the size of the park open to guests with taking away of backstage for Star Wars Land, which will increase capacity limits set by the Fire Marshall.

And DCA is looking into converting part of the current Transportation area that is being moved for expansion in the future.

So that does allow Disney to sell more tickets (generic term for any sort of admission) per day.

As an old-timer, I remember when Disney decided to lower AP prices in 2002 and had to give some sort of rebate to those who opted to buy a 2-park AP due to the poor acceptance of the original version of DCA. Doubt that will happen again...

I do actually. I have a feeling the increases won't be as drastic since the has been a noticeable change in the crowds. I just don't think we'll be seeing the 20-30% increases in the coming years

I expect something big before Star Wars Land opens. I think people are ok with letting them go for now, with the 60th over, while waiting for the new stuff. But most probably plan to renew when SWL opens.

I dunno.

• Our SC AP's have increased 255% in the past 11 seasons...that's an average of 23% a year
  • Regular (Deluxe) AP's have increased 425%(!) in the last 13-14 seasons...that's an average of 30+% a year
  • Your AP's have double in 5 seasons...that's an average of 20% a year
See a trend? Did our AP's jump 20-30% every year? No. But years with smaller increases were offset by years with balloon increases. Not to mention the loss of some benefits like blackout day discounts and adding parking to lower AP's.

Drop in attendance?!? Doesn't matter...because park revenue is up because of higher ticket prices.

maltdizzy, you hit the magic "number" on the head, maximizing profits.

If too many people enter the park, then Disney loses money, as they can't sell full priced one day tickets, and have to pay additional costs in dealing with the crowds, including the Anaheim PD due to additional traffic to enter/exit the parks.

Disney doesn't want to do that, they want a balance that allows them to get the most revenue per person, per day. So that is not just the cost of admission, but selling food and merchandise and premium services such as tours and reserved seating for shows in the parks.

Look at how Disney treats Disneyland in regards to Hotels, since they don't have the control of nearby land like WDW. The new 4th Hotel approved by Disney will be a 4 Star Hotel and Disney has stated it will be better (and therefore more expensive) than the Grand Californian. Aka, looking for more money per person than more people in general.

And then you can look at the response from non-Disney folks. The nearby Knott's Resort (owned by Cedar Fair and whose current CEO is a former Disneyland President, Matt Ouimet) has decided to focus on the locals, increasing options on their Season Passes including payment plans, and additions of Drink Bottles (free sodas all year for about $25) and even Dining Plans, where you can get a new meal (limited menu at select locations) every 90 minutes. Plus upgrading the park with more shows and more attractions, things that included hiring Billy Hill and the Hillbillies when Disney let them go, and Voyage of the Iron Reef as a repeatable dark ride attraction like Midway Mania that locals like (being different each time you ride). This was in response to the elimination of benefits and increased costs of Disneyland Resort Annual Passes.

So does a local (main buyers of Annual/Season Passes) opt to pay the higher prices and more blockout dates that Disney is implementing, or look at other options, anything from the Aquarium of the Pacific memberships in Long Beach to Knott's, Universal, Six Flags, Raging Waters and other entertainment choices in the Southland.

It is an issue that Disney and other venues are looking at every operating day.

Last edited:
If it's priced similarly to the Epcot After 4 Pass that is offered to Florida Residents, I can see people possibly taking an interest in it.

I have a Signature AP at Disneyland, so it doesn't interest me - but my husband will only go to DCA when we go to DLR, so I'm very interested to see what pricing might look like for something like this vs. what I pay for tickets from various outlets when we go to DLR for race weekends and other times.

I expect something big before Star Wars Land opens. I think people are ok with letting them go for now, with the 60th over, while waiting for the new stuff. But most probably plan to renew when SWL opens.

SWL will probably be a big jump, but honestly, I'd be shocked if it's ready by Summer 2019. That will give people a bit of a break on the big jumps.

I dunno.

• Our SC AP's have increased 255% in the past 11 seasons...that's an average of 23% a year
  • Regular (Deluxe) AP's have increased 425%(!) in the last 13-14 seasons...that's an average of 30+% a year
  • Your AP's have double in 5 seasons...that's an average of 20% a year
See a trend? Did our AP's jump 20-30% every year? No. But years with smaller increases were offset by years with balloon increases. Not to mention the loss of some benefits like blackout day discounts and adding parking to lower AP's.

Drop in attendance?!? Doesn't matter...because park revenue is up because of higher ticket prices.

Yes, but you also have to remember, 9-11 had a huge impact on tourism. Then California had the dot com crash followed by the housing bubble burst. That was pretty much an unprecedented can of worms that allowed for people to take advantage of deep discounts, and once the economy recovered, Disney was going to want to recoup those costs. And they were smart to do it smoothly instead of all at once, especially after the cars land/buena vista street opening.

What i'm most curious about is if this pass will be a so-cal only option, or if it will be in all costco's across the nation.

Is there a possibility that Disney will phase out DL AP's and eventually only have DCA as an AP option?

Is there a possibility that Disney will phase out DL AP's and eventually only have DCA as an AP option?

They can do whatever they want,so yes, it is a possibility. However, I would be very surprised if they did that. APs make up a huge percentage of visitors on any given day. Star Wars land will be hugely popular, but not enough to keep attendance numbers up year-round if AP holders are suddenly out of the picture.

I do wonder if it will be similar to the Epcot After 4 pass offered to Florida Residents? It's a way to give locals a discount and up attendance at a specific park that may be experiencing slower traffic.

$329 for 1 yr DCA pass... hmm... not sure what i think about it...

I think it could be a warning sign about some hefty price increases coming.

This way you can maintain your AP status but only at one park. This could be beneficial for RunDisney race registrations, but even those aren't selling out right away.

Possible but not probable.

There is $$$ to mine from the APs. If you hang out at the parks long enough, you can see the treands as long-distance resort guests peak at certain times of the year and local day guests peak at other times, but the local AP is always there.

When we were in LA, we went 10-12 times a year (two meals, snacks, parking, sometimes souvenirs, etc.); made several shorter trips for Christmas shopping (both in the parks and DTD); and even just headed down on Friday evenings for dinner and fireworks. And brought in a lot relatives who paid full price for a one-day ticket.

OC teens head to the park every Friday night as their local hangout, I see them spend plenty on food.

I was talking to something at Disney Parks marketing once and they said that at DL the key demographic they target/plan for are guests who visit the parks 3+ times a year.

Last edited:
As much as I love Radiator Springs, if I had to pick one park for an AP it would be DL.

That's why they are offering this. They want to encourage more people into DCA, especially with SWL being added to DL.

Brace yourself kids. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

So if DCA only is $329, how much more would you be willing to pay to add DL? :scratchin

Wonder if it's time to buy our APs for next year, before the price increases...I expect they'll increase within the next month. I checked the Disneyland website the other day but did not see a current expiration for first usage for APs. Last year when they upped prices the current APs at Disney Stores were valid until this December. If that was the case I could buy them now for next year, but if they must be used by this December then it wouldn't work for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter