• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

[Rumor] DCA only AP

For some reason I thought this DCA only pass would be limited to California residents. Since it's not, it might do ok. I already have Deluxe APs for this year, but maybe would consider this in the future if the price doesn't run away.

I can't imagine traveling from Northern California and visiting DCA only! It seems like the DCA only AP will appeal mainly to locals.

I can see it aimed at previous AP holders who were considering a year off (perhaps because of some as yet to be published price increase?) but settling for DCA only for a cheaper "in between" year.

I find it appealing because it's not blocked in the summer for the price. I don't think it makes sense for us, and I certainly won't buy it now since my AP has 6 more months, but it's an interesting concept. We do really like DCA, but I think we would miss DL too much. I guess we'll see what happens to the SoCal passes after the increase.

The verbage "food and beverage discount" made me wonder if the 10% would be on alcohol also. I was thinking maybe they were marketing to the drinking crowd who spend a lot of time (and money!) in DCA. But I was in Costco today, and I read the fine print - alcohol is specifically excluded. I saw a lot of people reading the sign, but I didn't see anyone pick up the cardboard thing to bring to the register.

So I'm going to make the assumption that this new pass will replace the socal select for locals. By the time Star Wars Land is complete there will only be signature plus, signature and deluxe passes( more blackout dates) for park hopping. This Fun pass will probably only be available to socal residents by then.

So I'm going to make the assumption that this new pass will replace the socal select for locals. By the time Star Wars Land is complete there will only be signature plus, signature and deluxe passes( more blackout dates) for park hopping. This Fun pass will probably only be available to socal residents by then.

I don't think so, it is apples and oranges, the DCA only is very similar to the current Deluxe in regards to blockout dates and discounts.

The SoCal Select has every weekend blocked out and much of the summer.

If any thing, it looks like a way to try and compete with nearby Theme Parks.

But right next to it at COSTCO is an USH Annual Pass that is similar in dates, and only $109.99

I don't see many locals opting for it, when Knott's, Magic Mountain, USH and others can be had for around $100 with payment plans and few or no blockout dates. For a family of four, that is a BIG jump in price, and you still have to pay for parking and everything else...

I just posted in the "Southern California Theme Park" section here with a more detailed look at the options.

Ok - sorry for the dumb question, but in reading the link to Costco - it says it can be upgraded to a Disney Signature or Deluxe pass. Is there any financial benefit to upgrading this Costco deal as opposed to buying the Sig or Deluxe pass outright?

Ok - sorry for the dumb question, but in reading the link to Costco - it says it can be upgraded to a Disney Signature or Deluxe pass. Is there any financial benefit to upgrading this Costco deal as opposed to buying the Sig or Deluxe pass outright?

Not that I can see, in fact, if someone wants a payment plan, it is a disadvantage.

I guess a COSTCO Visa holder with the Executive membership would get a 4% rebate (2% for the higher membership, and 2% from Visa).

Not that I can see, in fact, if someone wants a payment plan, it is a disadvantage.

I guess a COSTCO Visa holder with the Executive membership would get a 4% rebate (2% for the higher membership, and 2% from Visa).

haha, i wonder if u can buy like 3 of these DCA passes and upgrade them to a single deluxe pass... haha

$330 for just California Adventure is a little crazy. I can see it being an ok deal for locals, but not for people out of the area. You can't just go to Disneyland and not visit Disneyland!

No benefit whatsoever. I cannot imagine going to DCA and not going to DL. I think this is a horrible idea with no upside of any kind.

But I do see a very small number of orange county locals buying this. But not being able to go to Disneyland is just awful and I don't see anyone ever renewing this pass. DCA is a nice supplement to Disneyland but, in its current state, it is not a legit stand alone park.

$330 for just California Adventure is a little crazy. I can see it being an ok deal for locals, but not for people out of the area. You can't just go to Disneyland and not visit Disneyland!

No benefit whatsoever. I cannot imagine going to DCA and not going to DL. I think this is a horrible idea with no upside of any kind.

But I do see a very small number of orange county locals buying this. But not being able to go to Disneyland is just awful and I don't see anyone ever renewing this pass. DCA is a nice supplement to Disneyland but, in its current state, it is not a legit stand alone park.

The only way I can imagine they might attain any significant number of sales of this pass is if they eliminate the southern California annual passes or I suppose annual passes altogether, although it seems likely to me that they will retain the deluxe and above for the forseeable future.

Last edited:
The only way I can imagine they might attain any significant number of sales of this pass is if they eliminate the southern California annual passes or I suppose annual passes altogether, although it seems likely to me that they will retain the deluxe and above for the forseeable future.

That's very plausible. I can see them eliminating the Southern Californian passes, but not the Deluxe or above. Especially since they just did an overhaul of the program last year (turning the Premium pass into the Signature and Signature Deluxe).

I don't see the SoCal Select going away, it has so many blockout dates, and basically gets locals to show up on slow weekdays. It also lets Disney advertise a low starting point price to locals, and then hope they upgrade to a better pass.

If anything, I see the Deluxe getting changes, a higher price is one (Right now it would cost $270 to upgrade a DCA Only pass to a Deluxe), and/or more restrictions on the Deluxe, such as more blockout dates.

I don't think so, it is apples and oranges, the DCA only is very similar to the current Deluxe in regards to blockout dates and discounts.

The SoCal Select has every weekend blocked out and much of the summer.

If any thing, it looks like a way to try and compete with nearby Theme Parks.

But right next to it at COSTCO is an USH Annual Pass that is similar in dates, and only $109.99

I don't see many locals opting for it, when Knott's, Magic Mountain, USH and others can be had for around $100 with payment plans and few or no blockout dates. For a family of four, that is a BIG jump in price, and you still have to pay for parking and everything else...

I just posted in the "Southern California Theme Park" section here with a more detailed look at the options.
I see your point. I just think when Starwars Land is completed, they are going to want to spread out the crowds. They can either raise AP's sky high again (eta: this will def. happen lol) and keep all options of Select, Deluxe Sig. etc. or they can replace the Select with DCA only, maybe add more blackout dates, adjust the price (doubtful). I just have a feeling the Socal Select will be modified to DCA only, I can understand it from a marketing point. DL is already the preferred park from what I'm reading. Whatever, they decide it's going to be ugly, based on price hikes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter