Shocked with crowds last week.

Interesting. I guess I got lucky the past 4 days as the only large tour group I saw was leaving HS the same time I was this evening. The TSMM fastpass line was quite long this evening though, took over half an hour to get through it.

We were there 2/7-11 also, and it was so different than what we expected! We usually go in May, but have done early March (when Easter was very late) and this was horrible. I studied Portuguese for three semesters of college, but have never heard more than I did last week. Lots of 15s, mostly well behaved, but lots of large Brazilian families who either didn’t understand the directions or chose not to abide. I actually used my Portuguese a little to translate a few times! They certainly did better than I would in Brazil, but it was just frustrating at times. I think we will absolutely stick with May or June for family trips, and keep our adult trips in fall and post thanksgiving/pre-pop Warner. Hopefully May will be similar to our previous years!

but lots of large Brazilian families who either didn’t understand the directions or chose not to abide.

A couple more stories. We were in line to meet Donald Duck at Epcot. A CM was going to each family, explaining what to do. When she got to the family behind us, and started explaining, she was met with "Espanol, por favor." The CM didn't speak Spanish, and kept trying to explain, and kept getting "Espanol, por favor." She finally gave up and moved to the next family.

On our last night, we stayed late at MK to watch the fireworks. After they were over, we were in line for the tram. It was a mob scene, of pushing and shoving, but that's another story. Anyway, after the tram was full, people were milling around the bollards and the line. The CM kept asking for people to move back because the tram wouldn't leave until they moved back, but no one would move. He yelled to make himself heard, but no one would move. After repeatedly asking, he finally had to make arm gestures while yelling and going to almost every queue and eventually people understood and moved back. The big problem was that most of the folks around us were speaking in Spanish and apparently did not understand English!

A couple more stories. We were in line to meet Donald Duck at Epcot. A CM was going to each family, explaining what to do. When she got to the family behind us, and started explaining, she was met with "Espanol, por favor." The CM didn't speak Spanish, and kept trying to explain, and kept getting "Espanol, por favor." She finally gave up and moved to the next family.

On our last night, we stayed late at MK to watch the fireworks. After they were over, we were in line for the tram. It was a mob scene, of pushing and shoving, but that's another story. Anyway, after the tram was full, people were milling around the bollards and the line. The CM kept asking for people to move back because the tram wouldn't leave until they moved back, but no one would move. He yelled to make himself heard, but no one would move. After repeatedly asking, he finally had to make arm gestures while yelling and going to almost every queue and eventually people understood and moved back. The big problem was that most of the folks around us were speaking in Spanish and apparently did not understand English!

Those are examples of a language barrier not rudeness. I would put that squarely on Disney. It should be absolutely no surprise to them that they are an international destination. They should train their CMs to know a few phrases relevant to their job in the foreign languages most common in the parks or good ways to mime things. Move Back would be something very common for the CM doing that job to have to say (and therefore learn in other languages) but not something a tourist
would think to learn before going to another country.

I’ve been to Mexico but only speak maybe 10 phrases in Spanish. I learned to say a few things I thought I might need in case I was separated from DH who speaks some Spanish. If someone yelled Move Back at me in Spanish, I wouldn’t know what to do either.

Those are examples of a language barrier not rudeness.

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. No where in those two stories did I saw those were examples of rudeness. They are perfect examples of a language barrier though.

I would put that squarely on Disney. It should be absolutely no surprise to them that they are an international destination. They should train their CMs to know a few phrases relevant to their job in the foreign languages most common in the parks or good ways to mime things. Move Back would be something very common for the CM doing that job to have to say (and therefore learn in other languages) but not something a tourist
would think to learn before going to another country.

I’ve been to Mexico but only speak maybe 10 phrases in Spanish. I learned to say a few things I thought I might need in case I was separated from DH who speaks some Spanish. If someone yelled Move Back at me in Spanish, I wouldn’t know what to do either.

FWIW, I lived in Germany for three years when my Dad worked as a civilian Air Force employee. Not only did we have mandatory German lessons in school, but we as a family also tried to learn German to be able to converse with people who did not speak English. We also traveled extensively through Europe, and tried to learn some French, Italian and Spanish to be able to speak and understand in those countries. We also made sure we would understand and speak British English :)

Although some CMs are bilingual, its not on Disney to have bilingual cast members everywhere, or even folks who know key phrases. IMHO, its the responsibility of whomever is visiting to learn enough of a language to get along. I'm not defending Disney, but just pointing out that its pretty much impossible for CMs to know key phrases in every language spoken by visitors. For example, on our trip last week, I heard Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Portugese and Hebrew spoken.

As my wife said to me while in the parks "I would hate to go to a foreign country where English isn't spoken, and not know enough of the language to be able to get around."

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute. No where in those two stories did I saw those were examples of rudeness. They are perfect examples of a language barrier though.

FWIW, I lived in Germany for three years when my Dad worked as a civilian Air Force employee. Not only did we have mandatory German lessons in school, but we as a family also tried to learn German to be able to converse with people who did not speak English. We also traveled extensively through Europe, and tried to learn some French, Italian and Spanish to be able to speak and understand in those countries. We also made sure we would understand and speak British English :)

Although some CMs are bilingual, its not on Disney to have bilingual cast members everywhere, or even folks who know key phrases. IMHO, its the responsibility of whomever is visiting to learn enough of a language to get along. I'm not defending Disney, but just pointing out that its pretty much impossible for CMs to know key phrases in every language spoken by visitors. For example, on our trip last week, I heard Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Portugese and Hebrew spoken.

As my wife said to me while in the parks "I would hate to go to a foreign country where English isn't spoken, and not know enough of the language to be able to get around."

Sorry, I wasn’t sure what the point of these stories was and many of the prior posts were complaining about South American tourists so I took your post to be in the same vein.

I specifically did not say that CMs should be bilingual. I agree that that would not be practical. And yes, CM couldn’t possibly learn every language spoken in the park, but if you spend half your day sayin Move Back, which the CMs at the trams probably do, it seems fairly easy to learn to say it in the top 3 languages. And again, I have tried to learn a little bit of another language before a trip but Move Back would not have been on my radar as something I should learn.

I suspect (but don’t know) that Disney has Spanish and Portuguese language websites to facilitate people buying tickets and booking packages. Assuming that’s true, they should provide a little bit of accommodation in the parks. Expect people to be able to ask ‘where’s the bathroom’ or ‘how do I get to Magic Kingdom’ in English yes. But I think it would help everyone’s experience if they could train CMs to better communicate the critical things they need people to do to a wider audience.

Just returned Thursday from a 5 night stay at the YC (which I got 35% off with that great Visa deal offered back in Oct). We had an amazing time, the weather was perfect only one rain shower that happened around 11:00 at night as we were returning back to the Y.C. It was really crowded which we were expecting. Large touring groups, Mardi Gras break (that was us) and a cheer conference. To me it felt like the Summer crowds we are use to experiencing in June and Aug. We did our usual touring style of showing up 9:30-10:30 using our FPs having lunch and back to resort for swim/rest. Then heading back out around 5ish. I wouldn't have want to be in the parks mid day navigating through the crowds, too many people and long waits everywhere for everything.
Once we were back out in the evening I had great luck with extra FPs with a bit of refreshing (party of three). We didn't schedule an Epcot day knowing we would spend some evenings there enjoying the Festival and I still managed getting FPs for TT, Sorin' and FEA. I got SDMT one night at MK and then got it again for right after as we were waiting in line. Also got PP, SM and SM. We don't do rope drop but we do stay until closing almost every night I LOVE the parks all lit up, crowds thin out and the weather cools off, so magical.
No rude CM encounters to speak of. One day we were about to get on the Safari and had about a twenty minute hold up due to "animals in the way" so we missed our FofTLK 15 min window. I was not able to find it again by modifying so I spoke to a CM on the way out and she pointed me to her supervisor who made a phone call and got us in at a 4:00 show. When we got there we found we had front row seats in a reserved section that was a bit of fun pixie dust. We didn't do a NRJ FP because we wanted to get two rides in on FOP on our AK days so we jumped in line one night about 30 minutes before closing with a posted 35 min wait but it only took us 20 min to get through. We could have done in again but decided to get one of those giant Mickey cinnamon rolls from Starbucks instead. Seriously best cinnamon roll every! You must try one! Oh and mobile ordering is your friend! Our first time using it. On our last morning in AK around 10:00 after using our FOP FP there was a 4 hour standby wait!!!! The line looked painful I could not imagine. We absolutely love it but would never waste half a park day waiting for it.
I would do this time of year again for the weather alone. There is no slow time it's just managing the crowds. A good attitude and a good plan help too. We are just happy and grateful to be able to be there. Now counting down days until our June 4th reservation. Booked a BB split stay at Pop and WL for a 20% and 30% off discount. It was better than the current AP rate out. 108 more days!!!

Last edited:
Just got back from a stay feb 9-16. I’m not sure why but this trip felt extremely crowded and the wait times were much higher than usual (longer than previous thanksgiving waits). Fast pass lines took longer as well. Disney even had to contract with local companies to provide bus service to and from resorts due to long waits. We were last there for Thanksgiving2017 (nov. 17-27) so I am familiar with busy times. Our Thanksgiving trip was much more enjoyable and we were able to get a lot more done than this past week. There were a ton of ride closures too. I think the shorter hours and short staff contributed to the unpleasantness.

We just retuned Saturday from a 8 night stay at Beach Club. I did so much research as to when to visit. I choose that week because of predicted low crowds. I realize its not guaranteed. We've been the second week of December and right after labor day. Both times were pleasant and we did everything we wanted with no crazy crowds. Except at holiday parties. I was IN SHOCK how crowded last week was and everyday at every park. It was literally wall to wall people in many areas. Rides like carpets and dumbo saw 35-40 min waits by 10am!!! Also Ive never encountered so many rides being shut down due to issues. Many we were in line for or actually on the attraction. It was really disappointing. There were many things we never got to do because they crowds. Even fast pass lines would be backed up way past the queues. Dont get me wrong we had fun and did a lot but all the crowds def make a difference in your experience and especially how much you pay for everything there. It makes me sad they just shove more and move people in the parks. Its really not enjoyable anymore. Im sorry when you can hardly walk and every ride is over 35 minutes how can anyone really have fun. We never even ate lunch at AK because all the food lines were horribly long so we just got snacks.

Beach club was a let down as well. We've stayed at AK Lodge and Contemporary both times were 1 bedroom villas, very spacious and had more than one bathroom (at least toilet area) Beach club had 1 and the layout was awful. So many doors in one little space. Check in was not up to par and I couldn't get something that I had paid for delivered because there was no one to deliver it?? It was just a let down thats for sure especially for a deluxe resort.

Some good things. We took a Minnie Van one morning to MK that was great! Fantasyland Early Morning magic is well worth it especially if its high crowds! We rode Mine train 4 times! FOP holly molly hands down the best ride Ive been on in my entire life. We were lucky and had fast passes!! We didn't get to do Navi river after we hiked there at rope drop with the herds of people to only find it broken down ( shocker) we were on our last day ... and by the time it was up and running the wait was well over an hour and half. I was just happy we got to do FOP because it was incredible.

Sad our trip wasn't as magical as past years as we wont be going back for a long time, I think we'll try a cruise in the next couple years though!

We were at the Poly - Trader Sams - outdoor terrace/Kona for dinner last Saturday night and it was more crowded then we'd seen it in a very long time. Not as crowded as 2 weeks before Christmas, but incredibly crowded. Cheerleader comp. was going on, which I guess explains some of the crowd, but I agree, it was way more crowded then we expected.

Just got back from a stay feb 9-16. I’m not sure why but this trip felt extremely crowded and the wait times were much higher than usual (longer than previous thanksgiving waits). Fast pass lines took longer as well. Disney even had to contract with local companies to provide bus service to and from resorts due to long waits. We were last there for Thanksgiving2017 (nov. 17-27) so I am familiar with busy times. Our Thanksgiving trip was much more enjoyable and we were able to get a lot more done than this past week. There were a ton of ride closures too. I think the shorter hours and short staff contributed to the unpleasantness.

Was there 2/10 - 2/16 and over TG 2017 as well

Agree with longer waits and larger crowds

Very disappointed with this trip. Rides/attractions were breaking down left and right, bus service was shoddy at best and crappy park hours. Even worse during EMH at MK Wednesday night both splash mountain and jungle cruise were closed and it’s a small world was broken for most of the night

I think Disney is more worried about getting as many people in the parks as possible to maximize profits and less worried about our actual experience and enjoyment.

I for one will not be going back anytime soon and am contemplating cancelling our upcoming TG trip. I would rather spend my money elsewhere than have to deal with the crap we had to this past trip.

But at least the weather was great

Was there 2/10 - 2/16 and over TG 2017 as well

Agree with longer waits and larger crowds

Very disappointed with this trip. Rides/attractions were breaking down left and right, bus service was shoddy at best and crappy park hours. Even worse during EMH at MK Wednesday night both splash mountain and jungle cruise were closed and it’s a small world was broken for most of the night

I think Disney is more worried about getting as many people in the parks as possible to maximize profits and less worried about our actual experience and enjoyment.

I for one will not be going back anytime soon and am contemplating cancelling our upcoming TG trip. I would rather spend my money elsewhere than have to deal with the crap we had to this past trip.

But at least the weather was great
Splash Mountain isn't part of EMH anymore. I am unsure if Jungle Cruise is supposed to be open for EMH or not.

I completely agree. It was crazy crowded last week. We were there Feb. 6-13 and it felt worse than Thanksgiving. It took us 4 times before we were finally able to ride Soarin due to the ride being down. We were at AK on the 12th and were told that the park had been closed to capacity for an hour that day.

Maybe it’s because we’re first timers and more go with the flow’ers, but after our first morning at the parks I’d say it went well!

HS has EMH today and we planned on being there around 730 to rope drop, but since we went to bed late last night after a day of traveling we rolled into the park around 815.

My plan had been to rope drop Toy Story Midway Mania, but the wait time was already 80+ minutes so we skipped it altogether. We didn’t have any crazy plans! We walked into Muppet Vision 3D with a minimal crowd, had a 9 fast pass for Frozen (we enjoyed both shows but Frozen was hysterical!)

Had breakfast at Hollywood and Vine at 1015 (I’d seen some eh food reviews so I didn’t have major expectations), but honestly the food was great! Our waitress was attentive. Totally a positive experience (even with a way tired 2 year old who zonked in the stroller immediately after).

We had a fast pass after for Little Mermaid (and could’ve totally gotten in without). Our daughter loved the show and our son kept on sleeping through it (hallelujah!) for a much needed nap.

We had a fast pass for Beauty and the Beast we ended up not using (only due to the fact we have a late ADR tonight and wanted to get in a little nap and down time prior to).

By noon the park was definitely a lot busier - but I definitely wouldn’t say swamped by any means! We were still able to walk easily with a double stroller.

The character wait times were basically all 30-40+ for the duration of the time we were there.

All in all a totally solid morning! Since our trip was so last minute and we didn’t get prime FP pickin’, I plan to keep an eye out on some of our free evenings/mornings to maybe sneak in a thing or two we didn’t do!

So what’s going on today park people? I just looked at wait times and while they definitely aren’t slow, they seem almost moderate. The e-tickets are all up over an hour but there are several that are only an hour and FOP is “only” 2. Several lower tier rides are around 30 mins including princess M&Gs and Belle. Is it bad weather today? Posted wait times off? From watching at home it looks solidly busy but not insane holiday weekend busy. I wonder is 2018 is opposite year or something? The year Disney truly flattened the crowds?

So what’s going on today park people? I just looked at wait times and while they definitely aren’t slow, they seem almost moderate. The e-tickets are all up over an hour but there are several that are only an hour and FOP is “only” 2. Several lower tier rides are around 30 mins including princess M&Gs and Belle. Is it bad weather today? Posted wait times off? From watching at home it looks solidly busy but not insane holiday weekend busy. I wonder is 2018 is opposite year or something? The year Disney truly flattened the crowds?
The Haunted Mansion is at 75 minutes which is how I judge crowds. It's still way too busy imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter