Site inspections at River Country?

Yes, in 2011 there were plans for this resort. You can find them online--probably a link in this thread actually. The resort looked nice and the pool looked better than average and included a 'beach.' I hope Project 87 is similar.

One original plan for Poly DVC showed a lazy river while others showed a larger complex with less details. We all know they eventually scaled it back. I think the rooms were the right call, versus one or two 5 story T-shaped building(s), but I wish they put in a bigger pool complex. A really nice pool complex would be a nice selling point for this resort. IMO most Monorail loop resort pools are rather boring (for kids) though we do like the Beach Pool at VGF and the Oasis pool at Poly.
dvcconcept.jpg
Can say first hand the contemporary pools are....underwhelming. The BLT pool is nice, but it’s not jaw dropping by any means

I have wondered really about how disney feels towards DVC pools they seem to not make any DVC exclusive pools all that exciting. Its like they want you at the parks and not having a pool day. Pool Day means low spending per capita

I have wondered really about how disney feels towards DVC pools they seem to not make any DVC exclusive pools all that exciting. Its like they want you at the parks and not having a pool day. Pool Day means low spending per capita
Well I also think comparing it to stormalong bay isn’t going to yield any good comparisons because SAB is kinda one of a kind.

I’m trying to think any other over the top pools on property. Probably boardwalk? I’ve also heard Coronado has a nice one

I don't know about that - I think it's more about that each resort is only really going to have ONE main pool. A couple examples:

Boardwalk - the main pool is actually in the DVC section. It's a nice big pool with a great slide.
AKV - Kidani which is all DVC has its own pool
WLV - I would honestly say the main pool is only marginally better than the DVC pool, and they are about 2 minutes apart I'm not sure it matters.

There's other resorts where the DVC pool isn't as nice. (BCV for example) but that doesn't mean you can't USE the main pool.

I think your argument is why they really limit the quality of the slides / play area. They really want if you are going to play you will go to one of the water parks. (SAB being the exception I guess.)

I don't know about that - I think it's more about that each resort is only really going to have ONE main pool. A couple examples:

Boardwalk - the main pool is actually in the DVC section. It's a nice big pool with a great slide.
AKV - Kidani which is all DVC has its own pool
WLV - I would honestly say the main pool is only marginally better than the DVC pool, and they are about 2 minutes apart I'm not sure it matters.

There's other resorts where the DVC pool isn't as nice. (BCV for example) but that doesn't mean you can't USE the main pool.

I think your argument is why they really limit the quality of the slides / play area. They really want if you are going to play you will go to one of the water parks. (SAB being the exception I guess.)
I think SAB was a child of Eisner and he lobbied heavily for it. Not sure why though :confused3

I’m trying to think any other over the top pools on property. Probably boardwalk? I’ve also heard Coronado has a nice one

The best resort for pools on property, by a large margin IMO, is the Four Seasons. Disney has a ways to go to match that. I'd love to see them do so at the River Country site, but I'm not holding my breath.

The best resort for pools on property, by a large margin IMO, is the Four Seasons. Disney has a ways to go to match that. I'd love to see them do so at the River Country site, but I'm not holding my breath.
The Four Seasons has a vested interest in you staying at the resort and not going to the theme park. It's worth spending the money to make the pool fabulous if it gets people to lounge around and buy food and drinks for an extra day or two. Disney's incentive is exactly the opposite. I'm generally amazed the pools are as nice as they are. Chalk it up to Disney wanting to maintain a theme. Because they really don't want you having a resort day if they can help it. They are much happier having you come for 4 dats, all park tickets, than 5 days with 4 park tickets. Given 90% occupancy, that extra day is a low revenue day from customers that could generally be replaced with a high revenue day from another customer. This is obviously more true at the lower priced resorts than the deluxe resorts, but the math works almost across the board.

Do we have anything yet on Riviera's pool/area?

The BW sales pitch (it is their job to hype though) last week was telling me the new pool and area was going to be one of the best. But as we know, after SAB there's nothing too amazing.

He even thought "Flagship" type resort over all, very upscale-but we will see of course.

"Flagship" we just have to wait and see. Its a Deluxe resort on a Moderate Property, so I wont be suprised if it has a better pool then the Carribean but just because it is better doesnt mean it will be one of the best.

Do we have anything yet on Riviera's pool/area?

The BW sales pitch (it is their job to hype though) last week was telling me the new pool and area was going to be one of the best. But as we know, after SAB there's nothing too amazing.

He even thought "Flagship" type resort over all, very upscale-but we will see of course.

What's "BW" mean here - Boardwalk? I also had a DVC person tell me that it was going to be very upscale.

I think this is general the case with the newer DVC properties, and the trap they've gotten themselves into with raising the prices from $110 a point to $180 a point in the last 8 years. When DVC was first concieved - it was meant to be less deluxe rooms with access to deluxe amenities/locales. Now, you can't get a decent sized buy-in for under $20,000 - so they are now catering exclusively to a higher end clientel. It's why the CCV are so much more modern than BRV - and why new amenities were added to WL to match CCV. I fully expect them to make Riviera at a similar luxury level to Grand Floridian and Polynesian, with a really nice pool area and great amenities. Saying "go over to CBR Pool" isn't going to cut it.

"Flagship" we just have to wait and see. Its a Deluxe resort on a Moderate Property, so I wont be suprised if it has a better pool then the Carribean but just because it is better doesnt mean it will be one of the best.

Agreed-like I say, it's their job to hype so who knows.

What's "BW" mean here - Boardwalk? I also had a DVC person tell me that it was going to be very upscale.

I think this is general the case with the newer DVC properties, and the trap they've gotten themselves into with raising the prices from $110 a point to $180 a point in the last 8 years. When DVC was first concieved - it was meant to be less deluxe rooms with access to deluxe amenities/locales. Now, you can't get a decent sized buy-in for under $20,000 - so they are now catering exclusively to a higher end clientel. It's why the CCV are so much more modern than BRV - and why new amenities were added to WL to match CCV. I fully expect them to make Riviera at a similar luxury level to Grand Floridian and Polynesian, with a really nice pool area and great amenities. Saying "go over to CBR Pool" isn't going to cut it.

Yes Boardwalk Sales Office.

And agree on your take. If like you say it's at GF/POLY level, well Flagship isn't too far off I guess.

ETA: Still kinda excited/interested in seeing the Riviera Pool/Amenities, even just artwork.

Last edited:
Okay, so my sister's BF tried to tell me they're putting the Riveria resort where River Country was, but I thought Riveria was old news by the time these site inspections started?

Okay, so my sister's BF tried to tell me they're putting the Riveria resort where River Country was, but I thought Riveria was old news by the time these site inspections started?
Riviera is going where some of the buildings on CBR were torn down. This is likely for the next dvc project after riviera is done.

No interest in staying on an island (at this point) but am extremely curious as to if they develop a hotel here and how the safety/evacuation logistics would work.

No interest in staying on an island (at this point) but am extremely curious as to if they develop a hotel here and how the safety/evacuation logistics would work.
I think you are thinking of Discovery Island. This is not being built on an island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter