Smart speakers being tested in Disney rooms

So with the tests in these hotels, do they plan on rolling them out to the other Deluxe hotels this year as well? I'm clearly in the minority here but after having Google home set up throughout my house for the past few months, I really enjoy the functionality and would love to be able to ask the park hours and other things (I know I can do them on my smart phone), it would be interesting to see if they install smart switches for some of the lamps in rooms to be able to turn them on and off from in bed, or even smart light switches to turn on/off overhead lights (the more costly option and take the time to turn off power and rewire so I HIGHLY doubt they'd do that).

What exactly is the purpose of having these in the rooms if the rooms are not also making use of other smart tech? Like, I could understand it with having connections to turn lights on or off, or adjust the thermostat, but these aren't going to be options. Is it literally just a way to ask for stupid stuff like park hours? Isn't that the point of the Resort info channel on the TV?

I just don't see the practical use for this.

We have a Google Home only in our boys room, but they have Phillips hue lights in there and they mostly use the Home to control those and ask it to tell jokes. I won't have one elsewhere in the house, same as I won't have any smart cameras inside my house either. Employees of the companies that make these devices have ADMITTED to spying on people. So, yeah, no thanks.

So with the tests in these hotels, do they plan on rolling them out to the other Deluxe hotels this year as well? I'm clearly in the minority here but after having Google home set up throughout my house for the past few months, I really enjoy the functionality and would love to be able to ask the park hours and other things (I know I can do them on my smart phone), it would be interesting to see if they install smart switches for some of the lamps in rooms to be able to turn them on and off from in bed, or even smart light switches to turn on/off overhead lights (the more costly option and take the time to turn off power and rewire so I HIGHLY doubt they'd do that).

You are not in the minority. You are in the majority. When it comes to tech the minority is very loud.

What exactly is the purpose of having these in the rooms if the rooms are not also making use of other smart tech? Like, I could understand it with having connections to turn lights on or off, or adjust the thermostat, but these aren't going to be options. Is it literally just a way to ask for stupid stuff like park hours? Isn't that the point of the Resort info channel on the TV?

We have a Google Home only in our boys room, but they have Phillips hue lights in there and they mostly use the Home to control those and ask it to tell jokes. I won't have one elsewhere in the house, same as I won't have any smart cameras inside my house either. Employees of the companies that make these devices have ADMITTED to spying on people. So, yeah, no thanks.
I think this is only the beginning. I could see them adding more capabilities with these as time goes on.

I also use mine to control lights and such.

I don't know if I would say I'm in the 'opposite' camp, but this is my whole thing...I am no where near interesting enough for someone to want to secretly listen into my conversations. We use our Google Home Mini mainly for weather, set timers, check the time, play music, and ask for an occasional recipe. Even if this thing was listening to me while I was just talking to my wife, no one would care what I have to say about what happened to me at work, how I woke up with a stomach ache, what TV show we should start, etc. I'm simply not interesting enough. I'm sure there are people in the world that are interesting enough to tap...I just think the VAST majority of people aren't.

And all of this, of course, does not invalidate anyone else's opinion. I'm just giving my perspective on why these things don't bother me.
Lots of people think they aren't interesting enough to matter. The truth is these companies build massive profiles about you that can be used by marketing people to create very personalized and targeting marketing (and as we've been shown propaganda) to manipulate you.

This is what is already being done, imagine what they will be and to do in ten more years with even more data.

I have a friend that works very high up in Microsoft, and he will NOT have these devices in his house - and his house is pretty smart driven. I am not sure I would trust Disney not to be listening for key words to market things to me.
Maybe once Microsoft makes a device with Cortana besides Windows enabled PCs/Tablets? lol jk

I remember taking a survey awhile back where Disney asked about personalization of the guest resort room. Things like showing your specific MDE on the TV within the room, PhotoPass pics, etc. I could see Disney add this to the immersive experience or implement it into the Star Wars resort as your own droid or something. It could read you your FP+ selections, dining choices, and make recommendations on top of controlling the lights and thermostats with newer resorts/refurbs. It would also probably be able to help with wakeup calls/turndown.

Marriott already has a partnership with Amazon called Alexa for hospitality and it gives pool hours, reads airport information, works with the thermostat, etc. Its the way the industry it moving.

Lots of people think they aren't interesting enough to matter. The truth is these companies build massive profiles about you that can be used by marketing people to create very personalized and targeting marketing (and as we've been shown propaganda) to manipulate you.

This is what is already being done, imagine what they will be and to do in ten more years with even more data.

I don't understand the people that get upset about targeted advertising. The other option is untargeted ads, if I have to see ads I would like them to at least be for something I might be interested in.

I have a friend that works very high up in Microsoft, and he will NOT have these devices in his house - and his house is pretty smart driven. I am not sure I would trust Disney not to be listening for key words to market things to me.
Disney doesn't need to listen for key words to market to you. They watch all of your activity on their website. They know what rides you go on in the park. They can tell what stores you are spending money in. Their beacons can tell where you are walking and where you stop.

I walked up to the front desk of one of the resorts to ask a question, the CM I dealt with 4 days ago addressed me by name, does he have a good memory or did my name popup on a screen behind the desk because I was wearing my magic band?

Last edited:
Aside from the spying or not, will any information be wiped from guest to guest. Can the previous guest have Led Zeppelin playing at 6 am at volume 8 for an alarm ( I don't even know if this is possible) and you check without any idea how to even activate it. Or perhaps, the previous guest sets a 15 hour countdown so it starts to beep at 2 am.

My brain is still soooooo old school. We gave someone a ride home from church. To exchange phone numbers.....I take out a pen and paper, they take out their phone.

Aside from the spying or not, will any information be wiped from guest to guest. Can the previous guest have Led Zeppelin playing at 6 am at volume 8 for an alarm ( I don't even know if this is possible) and you check without any idea how to even activate it. Or perhaps, the previous guest sets a 15 hour countdown so it starts to beep at 2 am.

My brain is still soooooo old school. We gave someone a ride home from church. To exchange phone numbers.....I take out a pen and paper, they take out their phone.

I have used Alexa in hotels and they are definitely reset.

Manipulate you? Only if you let yourself be manipulated.

I buy things I want. I don't let companies convince me that I need things that I don't need or want. I can think for myself and have free will.

Unfortunately, it seems like more and more these days, people just believe what they are told and don't use their brains.

I don't understand the people that get upset about targeted advertising. The other option is untargeted ads, if I have to see ads I would like them to at least be for something I might be interested in.
The problem is as time goes on the marketing becomes much better at manipulating people into doing or believing things they wouldn't otherwise. They can also track the effectiveness of their techniques on you personally and taylor their approach for you specifically. The marketing industry spends billions a year doing research on better ways to manipulate people, but they aren't the only ones that use it. State actors also use it to manipulate vast populations of people. Highly targeted marketing/propaganda has already been used very successfully for nefarious political activities.

This doesn't even get into the security risks of letting companies compile data on every aspect of your life, especially when that data is aleays for sell.

It is going to be massively effective against kids born since 2010, when every detail of their childhood is in the profile and companies can create highly emotional appeals based on old childhood memories/thoughts.

Manipulate you? Only if you let yourself be manipulated.

I buy things I want. I don't let companies convince me that I need things that I don't need or want. I can think for myself and have free will.

Unfortunately, it seems like more and more these days, people just believe what they are told and don't use their brains.
Everyone thinks that, but there is a reason companies spend hundreds of billions on marketing every year and it isn't because it doesn't work. Google is one of the most valuable companies in the world and they give away their products, which shows you just how valuable their profile about individuals is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter