Smart speakers being tested in Disney rooms

I am also an IT professional. I've worked in software development for a major mobile device manufacturer for 15 years. Prior to that, I worked for a small company that did web analytics by deploying a small piece of client software that would send tracking information back to a server for aggregation. The idea was to sell the aggregated data to companies who wanted to know, for example, what drew users to their website or where they went after leaving. The client software was never installed without explicit consent (although no doubt many who installed it were not paying attention when they gave that consent), and there was nothing personally identifiable in the collected data. Even so, people were frequently outraged when they realized that the client was installed and tracking their web usage. The client was vilified as "spyware" (not wholly inaccurate), and retaining an adequate user base was an ongoing issue. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make users want to install our software, without much success. Eventually the company went bankrupt. It was a bit before its time.

Fast forward a decade, and times have changed. Fast. Companies like Google and Apple did figure out how to make users want to be tracked - or at least want the shiny thing enough to tolerate being tracked in return. What my company was collecting in the early 2000's was child's play compared to what these companies collect now, and most people don't think twice about it. And even if they do think twice, it doesn't matter, because they really, really want the shiny thing, and they're willing to give up just about anything where personal privacy is concerned in order to have it.

It's really not the companies that are the problem here. The people upthread who argue that our conversations aren't interesting and the devices are only collecting limited data are right, mostly. Nobody at Google cares what you're having for dinner, and notwithstanding bugs or other unintentional data leakage, they really won't be transferring data except when explicitly activated by the keyword. For now, anyway. But there's really nothing stopping them, besides fear of bad publicity. And as these things become more and more integrated and accepted into society, the fear of bad publicity goes away, because people begin to simply assume that everything they do is tracked and accept it as the cost of convenience. Unless consumers decide to value their privacy over convenience (which looks pretty darn unlikely at this point), it's only going to get worse.

I recently participated in a patent mining session intended to generate technically feasible ideas of what might be done with smart speakers. Suffice it to say that I was pretty appalled by some of the ideas. Not because they were bad ideas, exactly, but because it's all too easy to envision these things put into place, and the further erosion of privacy that will come with them.

For now, if I was staying in a room with one of these installed, I would simply unplug or mute it, as others have suggested. But there will come a time, probably not too far into the future, when that won't be an option anymore. The devices will be embedded, and will not be physically accessible to be disabled. Society moves on, and short of living like a hermit off-grid, we individuals get dragged along with it. Like it or not.

Smart speakers as well as smart phones and Internet browsers all have data capture capabilities.
Someone suggested a test that I took, and found enlightening. Here it is: use your browser to do a quick Google search for something that in no way applies to you. I searched for Alcohol Treatment programs, you can search for diabetes test strips, adult diapers, it does not matter as along as you would NEVER have searched for it before. Now pay attention as you move forward to the pop up ads on your phone, computer, email, any Internet device for references to that topic. I was amazed at how many different places that topic showed up in areas I would not have believed to be connected in any way to my Ubuntu desktop and Firefox.
Our devices are tracking us, not for nefarious purposes, but tracking to make a buck through data analytics none the less.
The problem is all that data can be and already has been used for nefarious purposes. The main one being political propaganda.

This thread has been reminding me of this quote:

18ixq9lkb9dhojpg.jpg

I have an amazon echo at home and in my office. They are great for quick things like the weather. Also knowing disney at some point im sure they are going to customize it to pair with your my disney experience to give you a overview of your day and including fast passes and reservation. This could be a great thing if they do it the right way.

except for when I'm sitting on the couch with my wife and it starts talking out of knowwhere...... There listening! lol

Web-tracking is slightly different, although the data collected can be no less pernicious. When you search the web through Google[2], they write a cookie to your local system, and use that to link your browser to your search history, to sites you visit, and if applicable to your Google account. Since most adverts on the web are being served by Google (I.E. the ones you see here at disboards), it is trivial for them to have the ads be linked to you search/browsing history. It's not really *following* you around the web, as the ads aren't really part of the page you're looking at. It's more correct to say that there's not much left of the Internet where Google is not already there.

Thanks for the synopsis. Please note that by invasive I am implying ads popping up on devices that were NOT used in the search, shared nothing in common. I don't log into services like Google or Yahoo, or email, but still an ad appeared on my smartphone for a treatment center. When a similar ad showed in the family email (2nd Windows system), then far too coincidental to not be connected somehow. And not just cookies.

Our privacy is out of our hands. From 2016:
https://www.inc.com/joseph-steinberg/amazon-alexa-recordings-requested-by-police-in-murder-case.html

Smart speakers as well as smart phones and Internet browsers all have data capture capabilities.
Someone suggested a test that I took, and found enlightening. Here it is: use your browser to do a quick Google search for something that in no way applies to you. I searched for Alcohol Treatment programs, you can search for diabetes test strips, adult diapers, it does not matter as along as you would NEVER have searched for it before. Now pay attention as you move forward to the pop up ads on your phone, computer, email, any Internet device for references to that topic. I was amazed at how many different places that topic showed up in areas I would not have believed to be connected in any way to my Ubuntu desktop and Firefox.
Our devices are tracking us, not for nefarious purposes, but tracking to make a buck through data analytics none the less.

Yeah basically it's just taking your search history and assuming that's what you're interested in right now. I used to work for a company that sold software to car dealers. I had tons of search history for various vehicles, none of which I was actually interested in buying. I use uBlock Origin on my regular computers but on mobile stuff still shows up everywhere. Now that I've left there's quite a drop off in the amount of Lexus VW and GM ads I see. Now it's all cybersecurity because that's my focus now, go figure.

I've got two minds about this. In full disclosure I do use these smart speakers at home and I enjoy the convenience of it to handle lights, hvac, weather, reminders, alarms, news updates, etc. But I understand what kind of information I'm giving up to Amazon and at this point I don't feel like it's intrusive. The thought that some company is going to record, and subsequently listen to, millions of people 24/7 is not realistic at this point in time. That gets expensive really fast and listening would get old pretty fast. It's akin to watching all the raw footage from a reality show in hopes of finding something interesting. I understand the concern but the spying part is unrealistic. I understand not wanting to give information of what you're interested in knowing or buying. That's what amazon and google are actually interested in knowing. Not what you think of Aunt Sue's ugly dresses or whatever.

The real issue is actually in our pockets every day. Smart phones are constantly sharing lot of useful information in the form of location and guess what? Carriers have been selling off that data to whoever wanted it for a long time. (Listen to Reply All Episode 135: Robocall Bang Bang! for more info about this).

But here's where I find the negatives. These devices tie to your personal account to give you more relevant information and access to apps or routines. So at home, no big deal of course I'm going to use my own account. But in a hotel room, for example, I'd rather have no requirement to use my personal accounts. I can always set a reminder to reset the device but I don't really trust someone or an automated process to do it for me.

If they were enterprising enough, they could still get plenty of data from it just based on what commands were used. What do Disney resort guests want to know? How many times do they ask about buses, operating hours, prices, local weather, etc. As long as it isn't tied to PII then it's probably ok. As long as people who don't like it can opt out (unplug, remove, etc) and it doesn't require any account details then it's easy to see it as an enhancement. Otherwise it might cause many to ignore or not use. I'm glad they're doing a pilot rather than pushing it out without any testing.

Just wonder if they are testing for future applications over in Star Wars resort to control lights or maybe the viewing port etc?

Hopefully they tie them into the lights and TVs and such, then if someone left the bathroom light on, I can just say, Alexa turn off the bathroom light or if the remote stops working I can still change the TV channel without trying to find where the buttons are hidden on that particular TV.

My son received the echo dot kids version for Christmas this year. You can set routines for certain phrases. He has a "good night" routine. It'll wish him good night and you can type in a specific phrase if you like. I put in the Spanish monorail warning..........oh my lord it butchered that. :rotfl:

Typically that pre-roll is only locally stored, and is in a cyclic buffer, so it's constantly being overwritten by new audio. For the big four: Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, I wouldn't worry to much about that. There is too much bad-publicity involved in being caught doing something they say they aren't doing. Now when you start hitting the Facebooks and Ubers of this world, all bets are off. They don't care.

That may be the intent but I can promise you that it's not perfect in practice. If you view your Google Home activity (myactivity.google.com) and listen to the entries titled "Unknown Voice Command" you'll see that it records conversations after mishearing the wake words.
There are 9 audio snippets on my account from yesterday alone.
BTW, you can turn this "feature" off.

Web-tracking is slightly different, although the data collected can be no less pernicious. When you search the web through Google[2], they write a cookie to your local system, and use that to link your browser to your search history, to sites you visit, and if applicable to your Google account. Since most adverts on the web are being served by Google (I.E. the ones you see here at disboards), it is trivial for them to have the ads be linked to you search/browsing history. It's not really *following* you around the web, as the ads aren't really part of the page you're looking at. It's more correct to say that there's not much left of the Internet where Google is not already there.

The video shows something much different then web tracking.
If you didn't watch it, the Youtuber hit a bunch of random sites linked from Fark.com (using Chrome) and took note of the ads he was shown.
He then spoke to the camera discussing how he just got a dog and wanted to buy some inexpensive dog toys. He's never had a dog, doesn't have a dog, and never searched for anything pet related.
He then went back to another group of random sites and the ads were suddenly full of pet supply links.

For those who don't know, the vast majority of ads on the internet are supplied by Adsense - not surprisingly a Google company.

Tracking cookies from Google search, possibly analyzing audio from Chrome, eavesdropping on audio from Android phones, and supplying ads based on that information.
Again, all evidence is anecdotal but I'm becoming more convinced of this every day.

The video shows something much different then web tracking.
If you didn't watch it, the Youtuber hit a bunch of random sites linked from Fark.com (using Chrome) and took note of the ads he was shown.
He then spoke to the camera discussing how he just got a dog and wanted to buy some inexpensive dog toys. He's never had a dog, doesn't have a dog, and never searched for anything pet related.
He then went back to another group of random sites and the ads were suddenly full of pet supply links.
Pretty disturbing. Sadly, not surprising, but disturbing. He was live-streaming, though, which creates a transcript and text file. When he repeated the test without live-streaming, ads did not match what he was talking about.

I'm the opposite - I don't "get" these smart speakers (Alexa, google home, whatever) and have zero interest in ever having one ... and the idea of something or some one "listening" to me in my hotel room, um, no thanks

I use mine almost daily. When I wake up I say "Good morning" and it will turn on all my lights, tell me the weather and any reminders I have for the day. You can set routines for when you leave the house, come home, etc. I also use it to listen to music, A LOT, and one of the coolest things is setting up a speaker group. If you have multiple smart speakers around the house (living room, bedroom, etc.) you can have your music play across all of them at once. I LOVE this feature when we cleaning or have company over. Broadcasting is a great too. I was at the grocery store one day and needed to get my wife on the phone for something and she didn't my calls. I knew she was home so I told google to broadcast "call me asap" from my phone. This will activate the speakers in the house and replay your message, to which she called me back right away.

Using it for recipes and cooking is really neat too.

You really should not worry much about it "always listening". It will not record anything before the wake word and this has been proven. Besides, I'm sure Facebook Pixel is on every website you guys visit. Besides....there was malware showing up on THIS SITE a few weeks ago. I would be more worried about that and Facebook Pixel being everywhere.

I use mine almost daily. When I wake up I say "Good morning" and it will turn on all my lights, tell me the weather and any reminders I have for the day. You can set routines for when you leave the house, come home, etc. I also use it to listen to music, A LOT, and one of the coolest things is setting up a speaker group. If you have multiple smart speakers around the house (living room, bedroom, etc.) you can have your music play across all of them at once. I LOVE this feature when we cleaning or have company over. Broadcasting is a great too. I was at the grocery store one day and needed to get my wife on the phone for something and she didn't my calls. I knew she was home so I told google to broadcast "call me asap" from my phone. This will activate the speakers in the house and replay your message, to which she called me back right away.

Using it for recipes and cooking is really neat too.

You really should not worry much about it "always listening". It will not record anything before the wake word and this has been proven. Besides, I'm sure Facebook Pixel is on every website you guys visit. Besides....there was malware showing up on THIS SITE a few weeks ago. I would be more worried about that and Facebook Pixel being everywhere.

I am sure I am just old school and one of these days I will have to get “with it”

For now I’ll just stick with my Bluetooth speaker and using switches on the wall to turn lights on (I know - how quaint of me :))

I am sure I am just old school and one of these days I will have to get “with it”

For now I’ll just stick with my Bluetooth speaker and using switches on the wall to turn lights on (I know - how quaint of me :))
I don't know... I'm with you and I'll stay there, thank you. Every time I see commercials and hear about how much people can do without leaving their couch just by talking to this thing, I think to myself: Is that REALLY what we need in this country? Something to make people MORE sedentary? I'm mostly joking... ... ;)

I don't know... I'm with you and I'll stay there, thank you. Every time I see commercials and hear about how much people can do without leaving their couch just by talking to this thing, I think to myself: Is that REALLY what we need in this country? Something to make people MORE sedentary? I'm mostly joking... ... ;)
It’s an evolution of the clapper.

I’m young but I love telling Alexa to turn on or off my lights mainly because I don’t have a wall switch. I have floor lamps in my room.

I’m young but I love telling Alexa to turn on or off my lights mainly because I don’t have a wall switch. I have floor lamps in my room.
The smart plug we have ours on is for an adjustable light lamp. We can do without it. Did without it for years. But it's nice to set it on brightness level and not fuss with it (especially because the adjustable part is touchy lol).

When we want it on we say "Alexa turn on the light" when we want it off we say "Alexa turn off the light" (which is nice to do when we are on our way upstairs for the night). We don't have our 4 can lights on in the great room just the lamp the vast majority of the time.

I thought the clapper was deeply stupid, for anyone able-bodied. :)

I'm half-joking about that aspect. I think the ability to do things like turn lights on/off from a mobile device when you're not at home and the like can be really useful -- though whether that convenience is worth the potential tradeoffs is subjective. But I just can't personally get into the joys of avoiding having to walk a few feet to turn a light on or off. To each his/her own!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter