So about this Hurricane - 10/7 Dream cancelled, 10/7 Magic Canadian, 10/8 now 10/9 Fantasy 6-night

but yesterday, when the dream came in, there was someone operating it...but that was in the afternoon...
this is too early on a sunday for humans i guess.. :)

Yeah, I guess. I was thinking it followed the really early arrivals the one time I got up in time to see that parade of ships. But oh well.

Ok so I tried to follow all the changes, but I think I missed something. The dream was extended by an extra 2 days, was the fantasy out there a day longer too?

Yes. The Fantasy is normally a Saturday to Saturday. The cruise that was to leave yesterday was changed to a 6-day and the passengers are getting a prorated credit to their accounts.

It was better to get the Dream in yesterday since it's the shorter cruise one anyway.

I live just outside of Sydney. The Magic is in today and ironically, the remnants of the storm are pounding us with heavy rain and wind. Not a great day for a port visit. It is also Thanksgiving Day so nothing is open except the craft market at the Port. It is a shame because the scenery is incredible with the fall leaves and the past week has been very warm and sunny. We have had multiple ships recently and thousands of visitors raving about our perfect weather. I hope everyone remains safe and dry...enjoy your day in my area!

FYI -- we were ported next to the Magic in NYC on 10/2. We were taking NCL Breakaway to Bermuda and were shocked to drive up to parking and see her sitting there. Such a lovely sight.

FYI -- we were ported next to the Magic in NYC on 10/2. We were taking NCL Breakaway to Bermuda and were shocked to drive up to parking and see her sitting there. Such a lovely sight.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Breakaway. I'm going doubly outside my comfort zone - booking a 1) single studio on a 2)mega ship - for Spring Break because frankly it was less expensive than anything else I was finding, especially when it's a "free" (I have an unlimited MTA card, so the actual cost would depend on how many trips I take in a given month) subway ride vs. a plane ride. So as not to take this thread off-course, feel free to PM me. :)

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Breakaway. I'm going doubly outside my comfort zone - booking a 1) single studio on a 2)mega ship - for Spring Break because frankly it was less expensive than anything else I was finding, especially when it's a "free" (I have an unlimited MTA card, so the actual cost would depend on how many trips I take in a given month) subway ride vs. a plane ride. So as not to take this thread off-course, feel free to PM me. :)

I will most definitely try to post my trip report and thoughts about the ship this week. I will say that the ship itself was not as overwhelming as I thought it would be since it is so huge and sitting next to the Magic it was huge, but walking from front to aft was less exhausting then walking front to back on the Fantasy, but we did have problems with the amount of people and the layout of the restaurant deck and the guest services/shore excursion/internet deck was very poorly planned. Embarkation and debarkation -- a total nightmare. Not the ship's fault but the port's. If they want to host huge cruise ships with this amount of people, they need to update their port to handle the crowd. More than two hours in lines to go through security and check in, and more than 90 minutes trying to get off the ship, go through the terminal and get out! Sorry, started to get caught up in details. Promise will tell all in a separate thread.

I will most definitely try to post my trip report and thoughts about the ship this week. I will say that the ship itself was not as overwhelming as I thought it would be since it is so huge and sitting next to the Magic it was huge, but walking from front to aft was less exhausting then walking front to back on the Fantasy, but we did have problems with the amount of people and the layout of the restaurant deck and the guest services/shore excursion/internet deck was very poorly planned. Embarkation and debarkation -- a total nightmare. Not the ship's fault but the port's. If they want to host huge cruise ships with this amount of people, they need to update their port to handle the crowd. More than two hours in lines to go through security and check in, and more than 90 minutes trying to get off the ship, go through the terminal and get out! Sorry, started to get caught up in details. Promise will tell all in a separate thread.

Thanks!

Wow...I'm not sure if the Magic will be leaving Sydney on schedule or not but we are getting hammered by what is left of Hurricane Matthew. We have never had flooding and damage like today. Roads are closed and washed out, basements are flooded, and EMO is in action. Now we have high wind warnings for tonight and I just heard thunder and saw lightening. Unfortunately, the Magic didn't escape the hurricane after all.

The October 3rd cruise on the Disney Dream was my first cruise. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was very nervous about the weather. BUT to say that Disney kept us safe is an understatement. They not only kept us safe and in calm waters, but they also kept us in beautiful weather, tropical scenery, and never once let their service level fall. In fact while I waited in the lengthy line at Guest Services Friday night, I was asked multiple times by expediters what I needed in case they could help me. I was waiting in line to increase my gratuities to cover the extra days, and use a gift card towards my account, so I needed to wait in the line. After hearing them go down the line, there were a lot of us doing the same thing. I know Disney was covering some tips as well. But, it was important to me for my crew to understand that we appreciated what they did for us while we were on-board. I know some people on our cruise went and complained about missing the Bahamas and CC. Some people were given discounts on future cruises this way. BUT I could not do that. I would not have been honest to say that I didn't love every minute of the experience.

One thing that other posters have not mentioned is that they created a new show for us the "floating hotel" night at PC. They allowed the theater team to showcase their talents by performing Disney musical numbers. Oh my! What a treat! The songs they chose were really diverse..."God Help the Outcasts" from Hunchback sang while accompanied by piano and a contemporary dancer. ::tears:: That night they also kept the pools open longer and the Aquaduck was no waiting. The played the movie "Bedtime Stories" on Funnel-vision so the kids and parents could enjoy it. It was a wonderful kiss goodnight from Disney.

I don't know if it was our arrival time, just luck of the draw, or what, but I have never seen such long lines for security and check in as we did on the Magic that day. I can only imagine what it was like for a ship the size of the Breakaway. Disembarkation was a mess for Disney as well. Haul your bags downstairs, cross four lanes of traffic and then try to meet up with your transportation. The line for cabs stretched around the corner. We luckily had a private car booked, but hooking up with him took multiple phone calls where I could barely hear him (or understand him) over the street noise. It was definitely the most chaotic port we have left at/arrived at. Given all that, I'd do it all again. The ease of being able to drive to port vs. flying was a great trade off! I'd sail out of NYC again for sure.

It was fun looking over at your ship. I loved the hull art, but the balconies looked tiny. Not sure if they are as small as they seemed, but looked much smaller than Disney's. The top deck looked like a blast with all of the water slides, rope courses, etc. I can't wait to hear your report. We will be on NCL for the first time next summer, but on a MUCH smaller ship - the Sun.

What if it is cancelled completely?
If it's cancelled completely, chances are there will be some sort of refunding. Whether it's a future cruise credit, actual repayment of the cancelled cruise, or some other combination of things can vary from incident to incident.

Yes, Sydney, Nova Scotia had record rainfall yesterday and 117km winds, almost hurricane force. Ironic that the Magic headed north to avoid the bad weather. I hope they are having smooth sailing.

I did get some video (was on the Fantasy as it came into port). Let me know if there's interest, i'll edit it and throw it online.

Would love to see it!

How was your cruise?

Yes, Sydney, Nova Scotia had record rainfall yesterday and 117km winds, almost hurricane force. Ironic that the Magic headed north to avoid the bad weather. I hope they are having smooth sailing.

Yes I'm on the cruise and it was very rocky. Before that is was very nice sailing. One bad night out of 8 ain't bad :)

Had a great time in sydney though even with the rain. The cruise being so empty is great too :)

It looks as though DCL have removed any Weather Update information and updates from their website so I'm guessing everything shall continue as normal now.

The 10/10 Dream sailing should be in Nassau today. Does anyone know if they managed to dock okay and that all is well there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter