• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soarin over Cali

If I had a vote, it would be for Cali.
World seems forced to me. Perhaps because they used all the same movements rather than come up with something fresh and original. World just doesn't leave me in awe the way the old routine did.
The whole time I'm experienceing World, my mind is having flashbacks.

I was there the last few days rode soaring 3 times in 2 days.

What I can tell you is that 2 of the 3 times I rode people clapped at the end.

I hope they keep it. Makes sense to keep soaring over Ca in Ca and over the world in Epcot.

I’d rather have Cali both places. World is so poor compared to Cali that we don’t even ride it anymore.

We just got back from visiting DLR and the original Soarin’ was every bit as great as I remembered. And I’m no cinephile but the picture quality seemed perfect to me. Also we rode it multiple times and it was great to be able to watch from a side section without noticeable horrible distortions like the bent Eiffel Tower. The positive reception from most riders, as well as the fact that every CM I have spoken to prefers this version, leads me to strongly suspect that they will keep it in place indefinitely.

Haters gonna hate. :jester:

They're both good, although I saw the updates they did for Tokyo DisneySea version and I hope they consider making those changes to the others as well. Probably not, but you never know.

I do hope the guest satifaction surveys reflect the popularity of Sorin' over CA and they will invest the money to update the film to digital. If I were the Govenor of CA I'd be offering $$$ to keep it as CA too.

Well, on a Sunday afternoon (4:30) during a holiday weekend, wait time for Soarin’ is at 40 minutes with fast pass return at 8:20.

That seems... normal? Or maybe even longer than normal?

Has anyone been tracking wait times? Is there any noticeable difference between World and the past weeks as California? If the answer is no, then the best we can hope for is that they occasionally switch back-and-forth. But if there was no measurable impact for the switch to California, then they may figure it’s not worth it.

People can write, and call, and complain all they want. But the attraction rider numbers don’t lie. And if the switch to California didn’t make a difference, then it doesn’t really matter if some people “feel better” when it’s California, if it doesn’t actually do anything to get more people on the ride. I wish there was a way to see those rider numbers.

I do hope the guest satifaction surveys reflect the popularity of Sorin' over CA and they will invest the money to update the film to digital. If I were the Govenor of CA I'd be offering $$$ to keep it as CA too.

Both theaters in DCA have been using digital projection since early 2016. So the original Soarin Over California film has already been converted to a digital format.

Both theaters in DCA have been using digital projection since early 2016. So the original Soarin Over California film has already been converted to a digital format.
Thanks, I should have been clearer, it needs to be shot on digital not just converted. The fist couple opening scenes show the age. It's not perfect as it could be, but I'd still rather see it in its current condition then the World version.

Thanks, I should have been clearer, it needs to be shot on digital not just converted. The fist couple opening scenes show the age. It's not perfect as it could be, but I'd still rather see it in its current condition then the World version.

The problem is when they shoot it in digital they don't go out and film a lot of the scenes. They will film some of them and create the rest of them with computers like in Soaring when the orca jumps out of the water. Its looks fake because it is was created on a computer. But its cheaper that way so that is how Disney is going to do it.

But when they filmed Soaring over California they didn't have the technology to fake it well enough so everything was shot in film on location. I listened to a podcast a while back that had the guy who was in charge of filming Soaring over California. He said they shot almost everything on a helicopter with the camera extended out in front on a custom boom they built just for the filming. It cost Disneyland a ton of money to film it that way. The guy said Disney would never go out and film like that again due to the cost so unfortunately we will never see another film like that again from Disney.

The problem is when they shoot it in digital they don't go out and film a lot of the scenes. They will film some of them and create the rest of them with computers like in Soaring when the orca jumps out of the water. Its looks fake because it is was created on a computer. But its cheaper that way so that is how Disney is going to do it.

But when they filmed Soaring over California they didn't have the technology to fake it well enough so everything was shot in film on location. I listened to a podcast a while back that had the guy who was in charge of filming Soaring over California. He said they shot almost everything on a helicopter with the camera extended out in front on a custom boom they built just for the filming. It cost Disneyland a ton of money to film it that way. The guy said Disney would never go out and film like that again due to the cost so unfortunately we will never see another film like that again from Disney.

I’m sad to learn that, because I too was hoping they’d shoot another film to replace the World version. We visit WDW most of the time and never ride Soarin’ there anymore but were at DLR last week and rode Soarin’ Over California 3 times, more than any other attraction, hoping to show Disney how much it’s loved. Maybe, maybe, maybe they’ll show California at WDW again too now that it’s been converted - it’s so much a superior film!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter