Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back and will say I enjoyed it more than I expected. Some thoughts:

The guy who played Han did a nice job. There were certain scenes where he really looked like Harrison Ford (leaning against the wall in the cockpit is when it first hit me) and I felt like he thrived in the role in certain scenes.

Donald Glover was amazing. He WAS Lando.

Tho I wasn’t a fan of the main plot going in, I thought it was executed well. It lived up to the hype.

Loved the Easter eggs, and there were a lot.

I have more thoughts I’m sure I’ll spill out over time, but definitely not bad for a film that was in such a production hell not too long ago

Saw it, liked it, theater was only 1/4 full. I'd see a Lando movie. Glover was great. Plot was ok. I liked Rogue One better but I was entertained and didn't feel like they did a disservice to Solo or Ford. Probably will watch it again on Netflix.
My theater had 10 people including my friends who numbered 4 total. It was a 10:20 showing but still was surprised at the small crowd

Variety reports that the box office take for Solo: A Star Wars Story could end up lower than expected for Disney, as it earned $35.6 million through Friday (including $14.1 million from Thursday previews). It’s now expected to bring in $114 million from 4,381 theaters domestically over the four-day weekend, down from the $130-150 million range it was tracking at.

Variety reports that the box office take for Solo: A Star Wars Story could end up lower than expected for Disney, as it earned $35.6 million through Friday (including $14.1 million from Thursday previews). It’s now expected to bring in $114 million from 4,381 theaters domestically over the four-day weekend, down from the $130-150 million range it was tracking at.

It's actually lower than that now...internationally, it's tragic with possible $200M total expected for the entire run...domestically, it made between $24-$26M Saturday (according to sources), so it's looking at $59-$61M DOM through those 2 days and around $100M or less for the 4 day...it is a catastrophic opening, and will likely have $100M+ losses, depending how it holds DOM here on out...

It's so bad, the question is can it match its production budget in box office...it probably gets to $450M worldwide on that $300M+ budget...if that is the case, it is the current biggest bomb of the year...

Wow! So when do you think it will generally leave the theaters? 1 month?
I don't think it will last long. There are too many new releases coming to let it hang around. The rub of it is that it's not bad. It's not great in my opinion either, but it probably shouldn't be a bomb. The theater we were at had it showing every 30 to 45 minutes from 5 to 10. The kid at the popcorn counter told me none were full all weekend.

I think it is fair to say, that if it does as bad as projections, this is on Disney for a lot of reasons. Maybe they made the wrong movie, maybe the release date, maybe the marketing, maybe the schedule, maybe slamming it up to close to TLJ, maybe hangover from TLJ, maybe all of the above or more. But the movie isn't bad enough on its own to bomb, so that again points the finger at Lucasfilm and, especially, Kennedy.

^Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

One think that I wanted to ask was if anyone was kinda underwhelmed by the cinematography? I mean I'm a big fan of world building and really like that this film took us to different places but none of it really wowed me. TFA, R1, and TLJ were all incredibly shot. I'm not saying this film looked bad, I just felt like it could have been better.

Or click the spoiler button which is to the left of the little camera button.

Oh, I see it now as part of that sub menu - didn’t know it was there

I don't think it will last long. There are too many new releases coming to let it hang around. The rub of it is that it's not bad. It's not great in my opinion either, but it probably shouldn't be a bomb. The theater we were at had it showing every 30 to 45 minutes from 5 to 10. The kid at the popcorn counter told me none were full all weekend.

I think it is fair to say, that if it does as bad as projections, this is on Disney for a lot of reasons. Maybe they made the wrong movie, maybe the release date, maybe the marketing, maybe the schedule, maybe slamming it up to close to TLJ, maybe hangover from TLJ, maybe all of the above or more. But the movie isn't bad enough on its own to bomb, so that again points the finger at Lucasfilm and, especially, Kennedy.

I continue to question why they didn’t just stick with december releases. Seems to have worked for the other movies, would allow more time for the anti-TLJ people to calm down, give more time to refine if needed, etc.

$83 million weekend estimate according to box office mojo.

Gotta say, I think that has more to do with last Jedi than solo.

Solo is actually getting decent word of mouth. I don't think it's star wars burnout so much.

Same thing happened with Potc franchise. Amazing first movie, so second gets fantastic box office returns. Second one kind of sucked so the third suffered in box office returns.

$83 million weekend estimate according to box office mojo.

Solo is actually getting decent word of mouth. I don't think it's star wars burnout so much.

Same thing happened with Potc franchise. Amazing first movie, so second gets fantastic box office returns. Second one kind of sucked so the third suffered in box office returns.

I think this is some of it, but kind of worse. You need to really work hard to tick off the diehard Star Wars fanbase. They seem to have managed it. Do I think it is long term damage? Not so much, but I think Solo is bearing the brunt of that displeasure whether it deserves to or not. And I don't think it's all TLJ related, I think it's just a story that the fanbase didn't believe they should tell, or could tell well. And they aren't going to believe the casual movie goer word of mouth because they (we) are the Star Wars snobs.

On the other hand, I also think there is something else at play here that has little or nothing to do with TLJ or Solo itself. If you are a casual movie goer, the kind that goes to the big things but not much else. The kind that generally has to convince the wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband to do the big budget comic/scifi blockbuster movie, and there are a lot of people like that out there, you are tapped out. There was Black Panther, then Infinity Wars pretty much back to back. Both were kind of "must see," though with the disclosure that I have not seen Infinity Wars because we opted for Solo. Really, we get 1 date night a month. We don't always use it on movies. So we have to choose. Lots of my friends in the same boat simply didn't choose Solo. Whether that is because of the marketing or whatever, they did BP and IW and probably will wait for Jurassic World or something else coming down the pike for the next one later this summer.

The schedule just sucked. And without that loyal Star Wars base, which is partially in revolt regardless of what people want to say, Solo just didn't have what it needed to compete. I really hope Lucasfilm learns from this. I kind of hope Kennedy gets the boot because I blame her for all of this. She is in charge of shepherding this franchise and she is failing. It is too big and important a franchise to let it fail without trying a different manager first.

I think this is some of it, but kind of worse. You need to really work hard to tick off the diehard Star Wars fanbase. They seem to have managed it. Do I think it is long term damage? Not so much, but I think Solo is bearing the brunt of that displeasure whether it deserves to or not. And I don't think it's all TLJ related, I think it's just a story that the fanbase didn't believe they should tell, or could tell well. And they aren't going to believe the casual movie goer word of mouth because they (we) are the Star Wars snobs.

On the other hand, I also think there is something else at play here that has little or nothing to do with TLJ or Solo itself. If you are a casual movie goer, the kind that goes to the big things but not much else. The kind that generally has to convince the wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband to do the big budget comic/scifi blockbuster movie, and there are a lot of people like that out there, you are tapped out. There was Black Panther, then Infinity Wars pretty much back to back. Both were kind of "must see," though with the disclosure that I have not seen Infinity Wars because we opted for Solo. Really, we get 1 date night a month. We don't always use it on movies. So we have to choose. Lots of my friends in the same boat simply didn't choose Solo. Whether that is because of the marketing or whatever, they did BP and IW and probably will wait for Jurassic World or something else coming down the pike for the next one later this summer.

The schedule just sucked. And without that loyal Star Wars base, which is partially in revolt regardless of what people want to say, Solo just didn't have what it needed to compete. I really hope Lucasfilm learns from this. I kind of hope Kennedy gets the boot because I blame her for all of this. She is in charge of shepherding this franchise and she is failing. It is too big and important a franchise to let it fail without trying a different manager first.
I definitely agree on Kennedy. The bottom line is the two Star Wars story movies had to be reshot, and it’s obvious the lord and Miller debacle is on her for hiring them in the first place

I think this is all correct and also add in pretty good weather for Memorial Day weekend and there were the production problems with is that I think even made people that might have been interested to be less interested and I think it all ties into Solo being a lower priority for a lot of people - for lots of reasons, not just one

Yep, while I was "explaining" what fans were not happy with in TLD-it would only either effect the Solo box office or not.

While I didn't think it would have a big impact, apparently it indeed did.

Just awful results.

Last edited:
I wonder what they do since this movie sets up some things what will they do if it continues to preform badly. I really think Star Wars fans are gonna be interested in seeing what is set up in this movie. So maybe they do an animated series if they don’t think more movies are viable. Really need a spoiler thread it’s hard to talk about this movie not sure what some may view as a spoiler.

I have thought about that too, and the bad thing is it's Disney cannibalizing it's own profits. Movie theaters are so expensive nowadays. They had black panther in February, avengers just about two weeks before solo, Incredibles comes out soon, then ant man and wasp. Besides Incredibles 2, those movies all go after the same fanbase.

I definitely agree on Kennedy. The bottom line is the two Star Wars story movies had to be reshot, and it’s obvious the lord and Miller debacle is on her for hiring them in the first place

I do wonder about Kennedy. You say you want SW movies done in different styles. So you go out and hire directors for rogue one, solo and the third of the new trilogy. But after you get them, you're just like nah I hired these guys for their different styles but now I don't want that anymore.

What in the world is that all about? I feel like one huge misstep like that would be enough for most studio heads to be let go or put on notice. At least the third trilogy director was dropped earlier than the others.

Reading the box office subreddit, they're all surprised it’s returns aren’t that good. Thing is: wasn’t there a leak a few months ago that Disney was expecting a low response because of all of the problems the production faced and that they pretty much released it to recoup some of vast amount they spent on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter