Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what they do since this movie sets up some things what will they do if it continues to preform badly. I really think Star Wars fans are gonna be interested in seeing what is set up in this movie.

I agree.

So basically TLJ was about "letting the past die", moving on to the new generation.

Can anybody really be surprised releasing movies about the "past" characters would take a hit?

I mean the trailer for Solo should have been, "Just kidding, please don't let the past die after all, come see our movies about the past".

Whats next? Kenobi, Lando, Fett, Leia, Luke, Chewy?

Wait-I thought we were supposed to move on, and just shut up and like it.

Solo basically took place in 1975.

Trampling that base (the fans needed most for look backs IMO) in TLD certainly doesn't help promote interest in these movies.

I agree.

So basically TLJ was about "letting the past die", moving on to the new generation.

Can anybody really be surprised releasing movies about the "past" characters would take a hit?

I mean the trailer for Solo should have been, "Just kidding, please don't let the past die after all, come see our movies about the past".

Whats next? Kenobi, Lando, Fett, Leia, Luke, Chewy?

Wait-I thought we were supposed to move on, and just shut up and like it.

Solo basically took place in 1975.

Trampling that base (the fans needed most for look backs IMO) in TLD certainly doesn't help promote interest in these movies.

These were all planned trilogies coming...heck, they just announced Fett Friday...all of them will probably now hit the trash heap...just like Flash, Man of Steel 2, and Batman did after Justice League...

I wonder what they do since this movie sets up some things what will they do if it continues to preform badly. I really think Star Wars fans are gonna be interested in seeing what is set up in this movie. So maybe they do an animated series if they don’t think more movies are viable. Really need a spoiler thread it’s hard to talk about this movie not sure what some may view as a spoiler.

Just use the spoiler tags so we can discuss.

But knowing what some view as spoiler is difficult many things have been said on this thread without tags that I would view as spoiler. But I’m the type that often doesn’t want to even watch a trailer.

Well, we could start another thread for taking spoilers or maybe @rteetz could update the title of this thread to indicate it contains spoilers

These were all planned trilogies coming...heck, they just announced Fett Friday...all of them will probably now hit the trash heap...just like Flash, Man of Steel 2, and Batman did after Justice League...

I have no interest in Fett. None. That would probably be the first Star Wars movie I just don't see. His backstory in the prequels didn't fire me up and the way he was written in Clone Wars, as a whiny child/adolescent, just grated on me. So I've got nothing. If it wasn't for his non-existent collector's edition toy with firing jet pack, he'd have been no more popular than a Gamorrean Guard. But I swear that non-existent toy and legend gave a bit character a huge life. I won't cry if that one got cancelled.

I'd really prefer they give up on these character backstories, with the possible exception of Lando because Glover was AMAZING. If they can't get Glover, however, I'd rather they don't do Lando either. Just move forward with the main trilogy or go so far back to the past that you essentially reboot the whole galaxy. There are unlimited stories to be told here, stop trying to just mooch off a few from the OT and give them things they don't need. I've come around to the point of view of people who say Star Wars doesn't need annual movies. Not set in the same basic timeframe anyway.

FWIW - After much debate, DH and I decided to see it tonight, and we enjoyed it. It wasn’t the best Star Wars movie ever made, but it was good. I think our expectations were low, so that helped. I also thought Aiden did a good job as Han. Those are tough, big shoes to fill. He didn’t quite have the gravitas (if that’s the right word?) or swagger as Harrison Ford, but then again, he was playing “young Han” who maybe hadn’t quite developed the swagger yet. Anyway, I’m glad we saw it and I will probably watch it again once it is available on a streaming service.

My big negative criticism is that I did not like the musical score. It wasn’t right/did nothing for the movie, and in fact detracted from it because I was thinking in one or two scenes, “I don’t like this music.”

While it struggled domestically it did better overall with international numbers.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/27/media/solo-star-wars-box-office/index.html

Only about 7 million behind Rogue One's global opening.

Its international is horrific - you have to subtract the domestic total from the number mentioned in the article to get to $65M. It's already opened in 85% of its territories...it is about as epic a fail as there has ever been for a mega-franchise overseas...

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-...a-global-international-box-office-1202398686/

By many/most accounts the film is solid and enjoyable.

We are roughly 6 months from the last Star Wars film.

This is a well known character played by a different actor.

Solo is/was up against Deadpool 2 and still Infinity War.

The previous 3 films were released in December up against very little competition.

There is a decent sized base of people who are so turned off by The Last Jedi they likely aren't going to see this especially only 6 months later. I wouldn't consider that a boycott though as that would need to be something much bigger than just not going to see a film.

I think even the weekend weather in the US has played a role. For example in the midwest its in the 90s and beautiful in many cases. I don't want to spend 2.5 hours in a movie theater when I could be enjoying the weather with family and friends.

I saw it and agree with a lot of the great opinions said so far: believable characters, good Easter eggs, limited cinematography, okay story, overall enjoyable.

Here’s the thing. I saw it with friends my age (40-50). Our theater had much of the same. My 3 kids: zero interest in seeing Han Solo. He has no appeal to them, possibly a negative draw. Ironically, they watched clone wars and rebels, but I suspect did not think of this movie on those terms. Along with burnout as stated well above, marketing hype to reach this borderline population could have helped.

You need to have lived the first trilogy and consumed Empire Strikes Back to have been an automatic for Solo. The Episodes 1/2/3 generation and the Episodes 7/8/9 generation are not automatics. They needed to be targeted.

It’ll gain with time.

I saw it and agree with a lot of the great opinions said so far: believable characters, good Easter eggs, limited cinematography, okay story, overall enjoyable.

Here’s the thing. I saw it with friends my age (40-50). Our theater had much of the same. My 3 kids: zero interest in seeing Han Solo. He has no appeal to them, possibly a negative draw. Ironically, they watched clone wars and rebels, but I suspect did not think of this movie on those terms. Along with burnout as stated well above, marketing hype to reach this borderline population could have helped.

You need to have lived the first trilogy and consumed Empire Strikes Back to have been an automatic for Solo. The Episodes 1/2/3 generation and the Episodes 7/8/9 generation are not automatics. They needed to be targeted.

It’ll gain with time.
Yeah I usually go on opening night for new movies but waited until Saturday. And I consider myself a pretty invested fan, so I can see how the casual fan would pass this one up.

I’m early 20s for the record

I am one of those LJ haters. Went to the special fan opening and when I left I was upset. Going in all the early talk and critics were loving the movie and I thought there was something wrong with me as a super fan because I didn’t love it. It took me a while to digest that movie, but I did come to terms with it and when I bought the DVD for my kids I watched it again. I was very skeptic of Solo. Did not see it opening night, waited until Friday morning when it was more convenient for my schedule. I was very pleasantly surprised. However I spoke with several friends in my little circle who won’t go see it because they are done after LJ. I also totally agree with the competition out there being fierce. Spoke with several casual sci fi fans and they went to see IW again this weekend rather then Solo. A few saw Deadpool instead. My cousin who isn’t a big SW fan saw LJ and loved it. I asked him if he saw solo this weekend. He see, nah, saw Deadpool. I asked why and he shrugged his shoulders and honestly said, I’m not sure. I don’t think on its own this movie should have bombed, however it seems the stars have aligned in a way that it did. Many factors went into why it wasn’t successful. Weather totally a factor too. Sunny hot day here on Saturday.

I forgot to mention one interesting/surprising thing from last night: People actually applauded at the end! I’m not so sure it deserved applause, but others apparently really enjoyed it and did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter