Something About Nothing.......part 2 (please join us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I declare SHUT MOUTH! :ssst: I've been reading forever & you guys keep adding pages. :eek: I'm never going to get through the reading, much less going back & ketchuping on replies. :faint:

whine whine whine............just jump in and start talking.
i do that all the time and end up talking to myself sometimes......:laughing:

I didn't know we were picking college basketball teams. Put me down for the Arkansas Razorbacks. (just cuz it's my home state)

i don't do college bb.
not my thing

Nope. Never had eel.

And you CHANGED MY BRAVES!!! :mad: :rotfl:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

But that means that Fletch and Jennifer will get all the hot water 'cause they get up so gawd awful early!

me do something like that?
i'm an :angel:

have to get the grub on the table.
be back soon.

Okay, VERY minimal catching up here since my thumb is now in a splint. :mad: Yeah, the snowboarding didn't go as well today. Well, actually, it went fine, but getting off the lift once DH lost his balance and decided to use me as a leverage point. Probably would have worked better had I not been on a snowboard and if he didn't outweigh me by 70 pounds. End result was me getting slammed into the ground and jamming my thumb pretty bad. At least it's my left hand! :confused3 Anyways, the nail is all nicely purple and it hurts to move, so I'll try to keep my post short! ;) (How's my excuse?)

I am now done reading book two of the twilight series. only took me a day. on to book three. [thanks Marcie]

Done with book 3 yet Penny? I have to go out and get it because DS just finished book 2. We had 3 from the library, but even though I put my name down again as soon as we turned it in, we're still like number 18. I really liked book 2. Three was okay, but a bit too much history/backstory for me, plus it ends without any closure so now we have to wait until August! :hug: But (at least on the Twilight Moms website) I'm definitely in the minority as someone who likes Jacob better than Edward!

so far we have:

in alpha order

ATL
BOS
CIN
PHI
PIT
NYY
STL
TOR

Okay, now I KNOW I put my bid in for the Tigers WAAAYYY back at the beginning. I'll try again - Detroit Tigers!

marcie, i was posting blindly since i was a dozen pages behind doing the ketchup thing.
i did see your post after mine went up.
glad you saw the thread. i read yours after i had already posted here.

your company must give you the time off but they don't have to pay you.

companies should have the mind that they want employees that do their civil duty to the state/ county.

i think the pay for jury duty in illinois is $25 a day. with mr mac, when he served, he took the $25 check gave it to his ceo at work and then was given his days pay in return. his company encourages employees to serve when summoned.

you can not be terminated from your job if you are on jury duty.
they have to give you the time off,
they don't have to pay you though

i know in our county you can be excused from jury duty if you have no one to tend to your children during that time period.
that should work for you in your situation.

Here pay is $16 a day if you just report and $32 a day if you actually serve on a jury. And my little guidebook says that lack of childcare is no excuse for anything. I don't think my kids are young enough to qualify anyways!

To answer someone else's question earlier - I really don't care about serving or not. I'm not desperately trying to get out of it. But I DON'T want to make up the hours. I'm sure they won't fire me, but I know they're going to push me to make up the hours and I'm just going to tell them that I'll come in when I can that week and then tally how much I miss and they can reduce it from my pay that month. Period. That's the part I'm worried about!

But I just don't want to sit there and be frustrated because I can't understand what they're saying and they expect me to. I'm going to talk to my audiologist tomorrow and see what she recommends.

DH is older; I met him when I was in the 9th grade and he was in the 10th grade. I chased him like crazy!

So what you're saying is there's hope that my DS and his girlfriend, who've been together since 9th grade, could be together forever? :eek: He thinks so, but I guess I'm trying to be the realistic one!

Talking about meeting our future spouses, school, etc.

Okay, I'll jump in with mine. DH and I met, yes, at a Boy Scout Camporee. We were both in college and both working on the waterfront committee (canoeing, not swimming, since it was like 45 degrees)! Met him on a Saturday and decided by Tuesday that I was going to marry him.

We did it a bit backwards than the rest of the world, thanks to the Army. You always hear about people living together for awhile before they're married, to see if it will work. Instead, we were married for nearly a year before we got to live together! :rotfl: We had to get married in order for them to allow us to request to be stationed together, but then had to go through various training in different parts of the world. Just a tad bit different!

Major sidetrack for a never ending phone call.:sad2: Back to ketchuping....

Oh, wait, I almost forgot to give you guys my "good" news. I was selected for jury duty! Joy!

I don't mind doing it, but of course (like everyone else) the logistics leave something to be desired. I have to try to find someone to get Eric from the high school to the middle school at 9:15 each morning, and the kicker - get time off from work.

Do you think it's unreasonable to ask for the time off and not have to make it up? I don't expect to be paid, but I just can't make up any more hours. Is this unreasonable? I'm assuming there's some law that they have to give you time off for jury duty? You all know how reasonable and understanding my boss is! Hence the reason for my concern!

I am going to call my doctor first thing on Monday and see if he'll write me a note. I know I won't get excused, but really, I doubt that there's any way I could follow the entire trial with my hearing. I did write that on the pre-questionnaire. Basically that I'd probably need a written transcript in order to hear everything that was said. Hoping if nothing else that this will discourage them from putting me on an actual jury. Guess we'll see how it plays out! Sigh!

Good luck getting out of that! :wizard: My DH & I were both able to get out of it. I was summoned 1st. I can't serve, because of my health, but wouldn't mind doing it. About a year later, my DH got the summons. He's the sole "bread winner" in our house, so they let him out of it too. We couldn't exactly live on what the court pays. ;)

interesting dinner tonight at my house. I said to DH, if you want, I can make the Beef Stroganoff tomorrow nite and we could do Chinese tonight. He said sure. I asked if he would go out in the driving rain to getit, and he did.
I ordered a couple of usuals, Beef Lo Mein and Beef with Mixed Veggies. we have gone to those gigantic buffets were they have chinese dishes and I loved the salt and pepper shrimp/pepper shrimp or whatever they call it.
It is cooked and peeled small shrimp with a little pepper in a very light broth/sauce.
soi ordered it.
They were Gigantic shrimp, fried, with the shell, tail and head attached. yeah, i aint kidding you. :scared:

I was able to peel a few. Kinda turned my stomach.
wont be ordering that dish again.

I think interesting may be an understatement in this case. I'd ask for a description of the dish next time. :laughing:

Ok, about time I posted some of the pictures from Robotics weekend.

DH and I left Thursday afternoon. (The kids all went Thurs morning.) It's about a 2 hour trip. The weather and driving was great and we were checked into the Radisson in no time. One of the nights was free as I redeemed reward points! They even upgraded us to an executive suite. :cool1:

DSCN0232.jpg

Plenty of room for the bathroom door to shut!
DSCN0233.jpg

A little background on the robotics comp. There are teams in every state and around the world. There are regional competitions and than the championship is held in Atlanta later in the Spring. Each team has 6 weeks to build a robot with the supplied kit of parts and can add on as their budget allows. The kids have to learn how to fundraise, manage the budget, market their team, learn about wiring, pnuematics, machining, programming etc. It costs 6K just to enter the comp. They have to raise money to pay for the hotel rooms, food, transportation etc.

As you can see, the teams all have a theme:
WizardofOz.jpg

2008-101-037.jpg

2008-101-118.jpg

This team is from a deaf school.
2008-101-055.jpg

The event is held in a civic center. 1/2 of the center is a pit area for the teams and the other half is the playing field.
Pit area:
2008-102-051.jpg

Playing field:
2008-102-038.jpg

Complete with refs:
2008-101-051.jpg

part 2 to follow soon!

That's a nice looking Radisson. Looks like everyone was having a great time at the competition. We'll be waiting for part 2.

I'll give you a Chinese food story in return Penny.

We live in the boonies. Rural NE Georgia. The tastes here, food wise, run toward fried, battered and fried, breaded and fried, and fried fried.

We have two Chinese restaurants. One of them has the gigantic fish tank up front with koi and a little fountain, etc. The boys almost always pick that one because of the fish and the fountain. The food is... tolerable... for the most part. However, they have obviously started catering to the local tastes. The last time we were there, I ordered almond fried chicken.

When they brought me my plate, I kid you not, I had chicken strips (like you would get from a box in the freezer) cut up with brown gravy dumped over it(not brown sauce, mind you, gravy... like McCormicks powder brown gravy) and almond slices sprinkled on top.

I don't know what part of China that dish is from, but it must be in the Deep South. :laughing:

That's just nasty! :crazy2:

Here is one for you tricia my mom and sister live in a little town about 80 miles from me and about 3 years ago they put in a chinese restaurant and I have see alot of wierd stuff on a buffet but frog legs no but sure enough they had them and brother in law goes nuts for them and I ask him when did frog legs become chinese food :lmao: :lmao:

Frog legs are one thing I've never tried, & I'm a very adventurous eater. I think it's the idea of the legs still jumping around in the pan. :eek: :confused: I'm going to have to give them a try some time.::yes::

as of 2 am sunday we have gained...............
3 hours and 42 minutes of daylight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't seem even close to that around here. :confused3

Have you ever been to Calabash and eaten seafood at one of the restaurants? OMG...excellent!

My extended family love to eat in Calabash. I'm not a fan of fried food, so I'm not as big a fan of it.

i do enjoy most low country cooking dishes and the different BBQs from the NC vinegar based all the way thru the dry rubs & tomato...drool;)

Now, that sounds good. ::yes::

Hello homies finally able to get back on due to my internet being down and guess they must have fixed it just now able to get on :headache:

i do hear of many successful marriages of those that have married young.
as long as you have the same values, you'll last until the end of time.

i always married younger men.
i was in college when mr mac was graduating from grade skool......

mac's a cougar:) , who knew;) ...so trendy, ahead of the curve!

marci - owie, make DH bring you ice & heating pad-pronto! how many miles has DS wracked up so far? lol

hi tammy - u r doing a great job ketching up:)

i'm fond of Gonzaga just 'cause the name is sooo cool lol...will have to check out jodie's set up

DH and I had a date night last night. We went to Red Lobster for grilled fish, but the wait was waaay to long and we were very hungry. So, dh decides he wants to do some other things first

DH puts in a movie, which I did watch for about 45 minutes before dinner took it's toll and I feel asleep. So much for date night. . . .

Sounds like a nice evening for you and your DH....We usually try to get out early (like by 4pm) on a Saturday if we're going out to eat...it just gets too crowded....last Saturday we got to Olive Garden by 4:20pm.....45 minute wait already :sad2: We sat in the car and waited ;)

Usually for Easter basket, we buy a video game, (will buy a book this year too) and candy...nothing extravagant, but candy.....this is the END of candy in the house till Halloween And, he's so active and doesn't eat much junk....I don't mind giving him candy....

Went to eat last night to come home to hooriable winds and a blessing we were out . Our basketball hoop fell over in the wind in the exact spot our mini-van would have been had we been home . Glad we were out .

thank goodness!

Here's your cheat sheet:
I'm Barb
RVGal = Tricia
AlexandNessa = Jodie
loribell = Lori
keishashadow = Janet
macraven = mac
wwessing = Wendy
JawsCPA = Jennifer
tlinus = Tracie
yankeepenny = Penny
Metro West = Todd
t-and-a = Alison
tarheelmjfan = Tammy
SharonG = Sharon
marciemi = Marcie
roseprincess = Rosemarie
Dark Marauder = difficult, so we call him DM
Motherfletcher = same....Fletch
KStarfish82 = Katie (or KFed)
ky07 = Lawrence
damo = just call her damo ;)
Akdar = Mike

I think that's all the regulars....someone let me know if I forgot anyone! :scared:

BTW, here's another tip I learned: Keep your lotion at a steady temp. Don't leave it in your car, where the temp can fluctuate. That also affects potency.

If you apply your lotion at home beforehand, you don't have to worry about leaving it in the car....(unless you are not coming from home.....):rolleyes1

I have never had a frog leg. I keep thinking about those poor frogs out there... trying to survive with no legs... ;) :rotfl:

:lmao:

hi guys!

tanning:worship:

thoughts from the palest chick (who tends to turn into a giant freckle:scared: ; so tan i must to even out or look spotted). how fair am I, even the dermatoligist said to get a base in a bed as opposed to outside rays. I've done my time in the ER for bad burns.

absolutely! You are in a more controlled environment indoors vs outdoors.... ::yes::

keishashadow said:
*ps clean the bed before u get in it. While i know barb's employer is on the up & up the stories i've heard from girl DS was dating who worked in a salon would creep u out. They've had to call the cops for weirdos before:eek:

We clean every possible surface a client would touch! I clean bed inside and out, pillow, the buttons on the wall in case they started the bed before the delay was up!, the chair (case they sat on it nudie or in undies), the door handle...ALL of it. However, we don't keep the sanitizer IN the room....we keep that behind closed door ;) But, if you are unsure if they bed is actually clean, just mention it to the staff...you can clean it or witness a cleaning yourself!

keishashadow said:
barb - i'm evidently sensitive to many of the products, was told to avoid the tingles & cooling ones by dermatoligist. I tried one with the bronzer last trip south...pic in TR; think i got a rather strange color.

Bronzers are not good for everyone or every skin type.... or, at least not that brand.

GO RATS!!!! or rather....(by now) how'd they do? :confused3

i almost bought my air 2 weeks ago for $215.
then it went up to $230 now it is at $275..........

that makes me sick.......

if i wait long enough, i should be able to buy my air at $400....:eek:

:hug: that sux....what line do you fly? :wizard:

not much chatter while i was gone.........

i was hoping for more so i could read and drink coffee and relax at the same time......

:hug: that sux....what line do you fly? :wizard:

i use american or united.
non stop is the only way i fly.

northwest, delta, etc cost more out of ohare.

well, with the price of oil right now, i'm waiting for the summer weight oil to be started so the prices will drop at the pump for 24 hours.
then i will book my air as that will be the only time it will drop in the next month.

if the prices go up to $400 for me, so be it.
hate to pay that but nothing will stop me from UO and the vacay

i opened a new thread, Something About Nothing #3.....

we won't be using it until we hit page 249 here.

where is penny on the bet placing odds for when that will happen?

and i sent a pm off to phamton so she will link #2 to #3 at closure time.

gee, we just get moved in here and settled down and then have to move again.

But, on the bright side, we didn't have to clean the joint up when we moved in since it was new.

and we'll move into another newer mansion within days.

woo hoo..........who needs cleaning service when we hop around like this

Mac, we're on page 230....Do we need to start packing up?

i see a missed one.

we'll have my people contact your people right before moving time.
you won't lose us.

we are unforgettable, in more than one way.........:laughing:

don't go a posting now on the new thread.....
i just know who is going to do that.
i can name 3 homies that will wander there before the joint is open.......:rolleyes1

but i don't like that brother very much so screw him..

yeah! :snooty:

every year i have given the boys an Easter basket.
even when they were in college they were sent one.

in fact, i have used the original baskets since they were babies.
they love that.

this is the first year i won't be home with them for Easter.
i just don't know how to swing it and make baskets up in advance and then hide them.....

i leave on the 18th.
i'm afraid the cats would find the baskets and destroy them, or eat the chocolate and die.

but then, if i hide the baskets, they would never be found. my sons don't snoop.

i always put kid toys and gc in the baskets with 2 of their favorite candies.
also pick up the latest pez of the season for them.

on the other hand, traditions are meant to be broken. change is good.

i never go away during that time of the year but it was the only dates i could this time. i had to work around my brother's schedule.
the brother that i like not the one in the states.

I think it's neat to use the same ones from childhood....we do that here also.

I was always afraid of the cat eating the Easter basket grass too. I'd make up the entire basket, leave it on the dining room table and then cover it with a trash bag (or VERY large department store bag) and tuck the ends underneath the basket so she wouldn't get into it and eat it :teeth: Worked very well......

Couldn't you do the same for your boys....maybe put a sign on the front that says "Do Not Open till Easter"?? :scratchin

and we will have private baths just for brab requests....

she gets one to herself and all the other 45 homies share one....:eek:

:banana: :woohoo: :banana:

i'm trying to decide if we want a southern exposure or east exposure.

just don't want the sun in my eyes in the early morning.

ok, scratch the east view then.

Front of my house faces south....if we're living in FL, we want the back of the house to have southern exposure....cuz of the pool ya know ;)

one day not long ago, mac was trying to make a phone call.
her stupid evil twin sister was on the extension line and kept clicking the phone to disconnect me ..........

that stupid brat.

she is always doing something mean and evil to me.

story continues.............stay tuned.......

:lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

....staying tuned :hyper:

I have an evil sister, but she's not a twin.

I had a sister....I disowned her :snooty:

My 18th wedding anniversary is on Easter this year. We got married on DH's college Spring Break.

Happy Anniversary (early)

I'm a recovering Catholic myself.

me too!

Hi Mac and all-

I spoke too soon. Dad may or may not get out of hosp today.
My mom called earlier from his hosp. room.

Sorry to hear Dad isn't coming home Rose....but, it's for the better he stay if something is wrong. Keep the faith...he's on the right road to 'home', just taking the 'long' way apparently... :confused3

:grouphug:

i do hear of many successful marriages of those that have married young.
as long as you have the same values, you'll last until the end of time.

i always married younger men.
i was in college when mr mac was graduating from grade skool......

uh...you lie.... :laughing:

My DH was entering the service after graduating high skool while I was entering 8th grade... :lmao: honest

i use american or united.
non stop is the only way i fly.

northwest, delta, etc cost more out of ohare.

well, with the price of oil right now, i'm waiting for the summer weight oil to be started so the prices will drop at the pump for 24 hours.
then i will book my air as that will be the only time it will drop in the next month.

if the prices go up to $400 for me, so be it.
hate to pay that but nothing will stop me from the RIP with Mike and Jodie.

Awww, gee, shucks!!!! :hug:

Ma and the rest of my girls (sissy, neighbors) want me to go to dinner. Should've asked where before I agreed to go. I hate chain restaurants. I am much too snobby for that. Friggin Ruby Tuesday's.

I work in a good ole boy network. I'm used to all the guys getting promoted before me. Service anniversaries are rewarded. Education is not. If Mike's paycheck didn't go into my bank account, now THEN, I'd be mad. :lmao:

Hope you enjoyed the dinner as much as the company... :rolleyes1

Interesting thing about your 'education' and 'service' comment.... A friend of mine was laid off from her job and searching for a new one. At the time she had 20+ yrs. ON HAND EXPERIENCE at bookkeeping. She didn't get a lot of jobs because she didn't have a college degree :confused3 They would flat out ask her if she had degree....she'd say 'no' and they'd say 'sorry...you don't qualify'. :confused3 So, 20+ yrs ON HAND EXPERIENCE doesn't qualify you, but a 20something fresh outta college with NO experience does?? I don't get that..... long story short, said friend is now head bookkeeper and office mgr for orthapeadic office :teeth: However, I do think you should have your education AND service evaluated to determine your "value" (paycheck) ::yes::

I declare SHUT MOUTH! :ssst: I've been reading forever & you guys keep adding pages. I'm never going to get through the reading, much less going back & ketchuping on replies. :faint:

i wasn't here....i dun good :p

i told my sis i'll speak to her again when she ceases to be a violent alcoholic...only happy drunks allowed;)

good for you! :thumbsup2

i picked up my DH in a bar:laughing: i was moonlighting as a barkeep, owner pointed him out as normal...and he had a good job, no kids, was single and wasn't a sloppy drunk:thumbsup2 who cold ask for anything more? lol

Why does this not surprise me??? :rolleyes:

Janet lost! :p

:lmao: You must be feeling better... ;)

Ummmm.... That doesn't exactly look like a "Jodie" & a "Mike". ;)

you're supposed to use your imagination :rolleyes1

tarheelmjfan said:
I've been meaning to ask.... What happened to Gemma anyway? :confused3

She's overseas at college....partying and apparently can't find wifi to hijack :confused3 :lmao:

But that means that Fletch and Jennifer will get all the hot water 'cause they get up so gawd awful early!

No...not Fletch....he showers outside! ;)

I think her halo fell off, when she posted those "sensored" bananas. :eek:

:teeth:

Woo-hoo, I had no idea if I did the March Madness fantasy league right, but I see that Alison was able to join, so I must've done it right! Bonus!

BTW, there are absolutely no hard feelings if no one else wants to play along, and I promise to not to make March Madness my sole point of posting. :goodvibes It'll be easy once the teams are bracketed and you can just pick based on the brackets.

March Madness holds a fondness for me since Villanova won in 1985 .. I picked them in the beginning of the tournament and EVERYONE told me I was SOOOO wrong, and took such pleasure in telling me so. Was that not THE game when they beat Patrick Ewing/John Thompson and the rest of the Georgetown crew? That was a big night in our house!

1986 was also a good year in our house when the Mets won the World Series; see, I'm not a fair weather fan! I also had a huge crush on Lenny Dykstra .... :rolleyes1

what other places did you all meet your significant other??

so far we have,
church
bar
skool

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter