Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was originally late Fall but it is not just Fall.

Seemed like a lot of what got announced at Destination D was for the “Fall” timeframe (gondolas, etc) so wonder if they are just bickering everything together and once they have a better idea when some or all can actually be open with confidence then they might start puzzling together when everything will be pointing knowing they want the gondolas up and running before other things and I am sure they want a bit of a gap between when the other big things are opening

Anyone want to guess the week it may open? I guess Nov 2-9 week.
I agree with TheMaxRebo: I don't put much significance on the change; it was probably made solely for cosmetic reasons. My guess, which is as worthless as anyone else's, is the week after what you guessed.

Anyone want to guess the week it may open? I guess Nov 2-9 week.

Logistically I think that week makes sense as it is after Halloween but before Christmas is in full swing - or likely the end of that week as then also after the Wine and Dine half marathon which ends on Nov 4th

Other option would be the week after Thanksgiving so those crowds are gone but before real Christmas vacations start

Obviously all depends on when it is ready but I could see previews (paid and otherwise) starting in November are undo your time frame and then soft openings during Thanksgiving break and then grand opening shortly after ... but just speculation of course

Logistically I think that week makes sense as it is after Halloween but before Christmas is in full swing - or likely the end of that week as then also after the Wine and Dine half marathon which ends on Nov 4th
I’m not saying they wouldn’t do this, but it seems like a pretty lame thing to do to all the W&Ders... making it right after they leave...

I’m not saying they wouldn’t do this, but it seems like a pretty lame thing to do to all the W&Ders... making it right after they leave...

Well, I thought no there focus is getting as much money out of people coming just for Star Wars and not really the regular or existing WDW guest. Plus there are added logistical complications with race weekends so I would think they don’t want to deal with that while also dealing with Galaxy’s Edge opening

Now maybe they could do some soft openings or something but I would be surprised if it is fully open by the

Seemed like a lot of what got announced at Destination D was for the “Fall” timeframe (gondolas, etc) so wonder if they are just bickering everything together and once they have a better idea when some or all can actually be open with confidence then they might start puzzling together when everything will be pointing knowing they want the gondolas up and running before other things and I am sure they want a bit of a gap between when the other big things are opening
I believe October-November is the target. There is no set date yet.

Would be a fun surprise if they gave out the medals in the “not yet open” galaxy’s Edge in an homage to the end of A New Hope
They would be more likely to do something like that for the Star Wars races than wine and dine. That would be cool though.

They would be more likely to do something like that for the Star Wars races than wine and dine. That would be cool though.

I know - just trying to get you excited about the idea ... and then those hopes to be dashed in the real world ;)

I think the head movement is embellishment for the video. You can see that the head if fixed to the rest of the body frame work. I could definitly see the guns moving and there being some sort of lighting laser effect.

View attachment 372153

Well if it is embellishment, then what else will be embellished for Rise or Falcon? I do think projection mapping will be used to give the appearance of movement of the head and/or cannons.

Sure but that means it could open sooner than originally thought.
I think the change may have also to do with spreading out the regular crowds. I know we are annual visitors during Thanksgiving, but switched to Christmas next year so we dont miss SWGE opening. They may have realized that a lot of people were going to do this and opted for more ambiguity to naturally spread out people.

Actually Fall not Late Fall.

This was the most interesting update Disney has made, was it a) to drive more bookings in fall and prevent people from cancelling and moving to later dates for SWGE .... (but, would disney actually do this when they have, of late, been very difficult to pin down to a date, so why bump up the expected opening?) b) because construction is moving along nicely and they are actually more confident it will be open in fall, rather than late november / december ?

I don’t think it would be very smart of them to do it to increase fall bookings. They have to know that a decent number of people will likely cancel if opening date is after their booking. Not to mention the folks who have multiple weeks booked waiting to hear opening day.

I think the change may have also to do with spreading out the regular crowds.
That's a good point. Someone leaves WDW every day, so no matter what they're going to "disappoint" someone with whatever opening date they choose, so if they really have the power to target and choose a specific date, it makes sense that they'll aim to put the opening at a time that they won't have other logistical complications, like races or even F&W festival.

This is my DREAM!! Going December 7 to 14, so hopefully it'll only be 4 hours instead of 12 hours of wait times lol

We are going 11-19 to 11-24. My dream is it doesn't open until AFTER that! But I realize its cutting it close. I have been hesitating to pull the trigger on a DVC for that week as we may cancel the trip if GE is open and all heck is breaking loose there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter