Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Shopping and Merchandise: Savi’s, Droid Depot and More!

And still no Qui-Gon Jinn saber....... my adult son has wanted one ever since the movie cam out. Sucks Disney couldn't figure out a way to keep the workshop running, but at least people can still see the space if they want. It is pretty cool.

@yulilin3 probably has better insight, and will tell me that I'm wrong lol, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's brought back whenever WDW and the Actors Union come to an agreement.

I think it is a clever use of the space in the meantime though. I am considering purchasing a legacy saber, and I really wasn't looking forward to going into Dok's. Or at least waiting to get in, it has always been so crowded in there, guessing they'll only allow a few people inside.

If anyone is going to Droid Depot in the next couple of weeks, can you report back what your experience was like? I had heard in the past that they (unlike savi's) were a little more lax on the "one builder, one guest" rule and trying to figure out if that has changed post-covid or I can still take my twins without having to buy two droids (they are 8 so per the rules can't go together without an adult). Also just generally interested in whether they have made any changes to the experience due to covid that would make it less fun (e.g., no longer have parts going by on a conveyer belt)

So for Savi's, is there a long line forming? Is going in to just look allowed? I have no intention of buying a lightsaber (way too much money) but would love to see the inside!

If anyone is going to Droid Depot in the next couple of weeks, can you report back what your experience was like? I had heard in the past that they (unlike savi's) were a little more lax on the "one builder, one guest" rule and trying to figure out if that has changed post-covid or I can still take my twins without having to buy two droids (they are 8 so per the rules can't go together without an adult). Also just generally interested in whether they have made any changes to the experience due to covid that would make it less fun (e.g., no longer have parts going by on a conveyer belt)
Experience is the same as far as I know. I think you should be fine with both kids too. Likely will just be allowed 1 adult with the two of them in the area.

I know it's closed and I know there's not a released date, but does anyone have any info/input as to when it may open or even why it's not open? I would think there is a way to do this attraction in the current environment.

Thanks!

I know it's closed and I know there's not a released date, but does anyone have any info/input as to when it may open or even why it's not open? I would think there is a way to do this attraction in the current environment.

Thanks!
The cm that work the experience are equity actors and their union and Disney has not come to an agreement
Same reason why none of the live shows and entertainment is available
They are selling the legacy lightsabers at the location though

The cm that work the experience are equity actors and their union and Disney has not come to an agreement
Ah, gotcha. My kids (12/14) have worked odd jobs all summer to save $ towards their sabers. I'm hoping that if Savi's is still in it's current retail state that the kids don't just "settle" on a legacy saber. I think building their own would be more meaningful when coupled with the experience and the fact that they worked hard for the $.

Not to put down WDW actors, but couldn’t they realistically open Savi’s with ‘regular’ cast members? Is the script they follow really any more difficult than Jungle Cruise skippers or Safari drivers?

Not to put down WDW actors, but couldn’t they realistically open Savi’s with ‘regular’ cast members? Is the script they follow really any more difficult than Jungle Cruise skippers or Safari drivers?
Well, no I'm sure anyone of us can follow a script. That said, there's more to it than that. Nonverbals, facial expressions, tone, inflection, improvisation when needed, etc. Those are skills and while I realize that Sir Anthony Hopkins isn't needed to provide the best experience, to charge $200 a head we need a little more than what you get out of a Safari driver. I don't remember a thing about any particular Jungle Cruise or Safari driver over the years, but I remember the gentleman leading the Jedi Training Academy from the last time my kids all enrolled in 2012 like it was yesterday. He was awesome and very funny with the kids. There may be something contractually that we aren't aware of as well that requires a union actor.

But I don't disagree with you. I'm sure there's someone that could fill the role well enough to still provide the "magic"

Oh, I totally agree and I love that Disney goes that extra mile having those cm perform but under the current circumstances if I had the choice of no Lightsaber or a Lightsaber with a slightly less “professional” cm, I’d take the latter. :)

Oh, I totally agree and I love that Disney goes that extra mile having those cm perform but under the current circumstances if I had the choice of no Lightsaber or a Lightsaber with a slightly less “professional” cm, I’d take the latter. :)
I mean, when Savi's was formally announced my kids and I were in "shut up and take my money" mode. Now we have our trip booked and ready to roll, had Savi's reservations...then the rona came...

Is there any sort of outlook when it might be resolved? Not sure if anyone would know this but are they at least talking? It has been going on for almost a month now. My family (w/ 3 young boys) has plans to go end of July but our last showstopper to overcome is Savi's being open. If not we'll have to cancel and wait a full year all because the Union and Disney couldn't work out covid testing of CM in over a month's time, ridiculous.

Is there any sort of outlook when it might be resolved? Not sure if anyone would know this but are they at least talking? It has been going on for almost a month now. My family (w/ 3 young boys) has plans to go end of July but our last showstopper to overcome is Savi's being open. If not we'll have to cancel and wait a full year all because the Union and Disney couldn't work out covid testing of CM in over a month's time, ridiculous.
No clue, and it's a lot more complex than that

I can’t answer as I only had me and my wife. But the experience was wide open and I see no reason they couldn’t accommodate such a request at this time. This was on opening day and based on wait times it’s calmed down quite a bit since day 1. Then again I always felt the rule was silly and they might be sticking to it. Seems crazy to make a parent with 2 kids buy 2 droids to walk through it with them though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter