Tables in Wonderland vs AP Discounts

If you plan on drinking refreshing adult beverages and know you are going to spend more than $750 on food and drink, TIW might make sense. If you aren't spending that much, you might want to just stick to your AP. Keep in mind neither give you discounts at all places. Mouseperks gives you a pretty good little table showing the different discounts. I've found it's not 100% accurate but pretty close. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mouseperks.mouseperksplus&hl=en
Do you know if there's an app for iPhone?

Remember when calculating tips, they should be done on the original amount, not the discounted TIW or AP discounted amount. TIW will automatically calculate the 18% on the original amount, as you should for AP discount as well. So that being said, the tips should remain the same, theoretically, no matter which discount it is.

I have both. Which reminds me that I need to find out my expiration date of my current TIW card. I'm a drinker when I eat so I find that I use the TIW more.

I seem to forget about AP discounts when eating.

I have all the discounts TIW, DVC, Disney CC and AP, unless you are heavy drinkers I would skip the TIW. I figured when all things considered TIW saved us about $100.00 but costed us $150.00 to get. I probably won't get the TIW again. It will be one less thing to worry about at Disney!

Here is a excellent comparison link: http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf
Keep in mind that those are 2017 discounts, not 2018.

In 2017, AP's had a larger discount at many restaurants.

I'm really glad I found this thread. I have been wondering about the TIW program and how it compares to AP and DVC discounts for a while now. I just checked the AP website and it is showing that almost all restaurants are now offering only a 10% discount. Only a few offer more. Based on comments made by other posters, I assume the AP website is current with the 2018 discounts which are about half of what they were in 2017 (although it didn't say it was for 2018). I also looked at the DVC dining discounts for 2018 and the pretty much mirror the AP discounts. This makes a big difference in the comparison.

Question on the TIW program - I know you get up to 10 people for the discount (10 more with a second card) but does the entire bill have to be on 1 check or can the checks be split? That is a concern for me. It would be nice to offer that discount to all people in our group, including folks we are not paying for, but I don't want to chase after cash or favors from other parties after dinner. That never seems to work out good for me. Another question - does the membership get put onto your magicband and MDE?

Based on everything I'm seeing, the TIW is a good deal if you enjoy alcohol and if you spend $900 (approximately) over the course of the program. We go to WDW about 4 time a year and enjoy table service restaurants and wine. We are dining at Artist Point and Jiko during our next trip. That will jump start the savings. I'll be purchasing this when we go next month.

Thanks for all the valuable insight to this issue.

The TIW card has worked well for us for the reasons you listed.
To get the discount, the entire bill must be paid for by the person with the card. So, yes that means getting cash from the others in your group to cover their costs. When we have gone as a group, we are up front about how the dining works if they want to participate in the discounts. Then they can opt in or opt out. No surprises. Depending on the group, we would settle up each night, or at the end of the trip.

A quick note, @RRB , if you decide to do this, do not settle up at the table or in sight of the CM. If they know you are "splitting the bill," they are not suppose to allow the discount on all of the meals.

Based on the rules for TIW, the entire discounted bill must be on one check, and that check must be paid by the cardholder. I have seen varying methods of enforcement on the paid by the cardholder thing, but invariably, all the discounted meals must be on the same check.

And no, you cannot use your magic band or MDX to redeem your TIW discount, you must carry the card with you. Sometimes (not all the time) they will ask for an ID from the cardholder so you need to carry that also.

Thank you for the last 3 replies.

Another FYI - if you purchase TIW on property it is a paper “card” with a magnetic stripe -think subway/metro ticket. If you mail order it is plastic. Not a huge deal, but in many cases they take the card away to swipe it. I have had some servers indicate they have seen some pretty ratty TIW cards. We were careful with our “paper” one and it survived a busy year ok. But if plastic suits you better plan ahead and mail order. BTW, this info is from an email conversation with the TIW folks.

Another FYI - if you purchase TIW on property it is a paper “card” with a magnetic stripe -think subway/metro ticket. If you mail order it is plastic. Not a huge deal, but in many cases they take the card away to swipe it. I have had some servers indicate they have seen some pretty ratty TIW cards. We were careful with our “paper” one and it survived a busy year ok. But if plastic suits you better plan ahead and mail order. BTW, this info is from an email conversation with the TIW folks.
wonder if you can get one on property then order a plastic one?

We've always had a paper one, the plastic would be nice. However, it activates as soon as its purchased, so if you ordered it by mail, you useage year would start then as opposed to buying onsite and starting with you at the parks. Depending on how often and when you travel, that may or may not matter.

Last edited:
Just called the TIW phone number. She said it take about 2 weeks to get the card in the mail and it is plastic. Those who buy in the parks can request the plastic anytime by calling the number.

Just called the TIW phone number. She said it take about 2 weeks to get the card in the mail and it is plastic. Those who buy in the parks can request the plastic anytime by calling the number.
Wow thanks for that.

I have all the discounts TIW, DVC, Disney CC and AP, unless you are heavy drinkers I would skip the TIW. I figured when all things considered TIW saved us about $100.00 but costed us $150.00 to get. I probably won't get the TIW again. It will be one less thing to worry about at Disney!

Here is a excellent comparison link: http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

Keep in mind that those are 2017 discounts, not 2018.

In 2017, AP's had a larger discount at many restaurants.

The 2018 info is now on the pdf from allears.net. :thumbsup2

Question on the TIW card. Can the card holder use a Disney gift card to pay for a meal or does it have to be a credit card? We are Disney visa cardholders so we save up our rewards points to help pay for meals.

Question on the TIW card. Can the card holder use a Disney gift card to pay for a meal or does it have to be a credit card? We are Disney visa cardholders so we save up our rewards points to help pay for meals.

Yes you can use whatever you want to pay for your meals. The TIW card is just a discount applied to your check.

We've paid with our Disney Visa rewards card many times. Never had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter