Talk Me Out of Boardwalk

I think technically we can only use the points through 2041, am I correct? Not that the 17/18 year thing makes much of a difference. We own most of our points at BWV, the rest at AKV. BW is and always will be our favorite.

I like the comment about not worrying so much about our kiddos, and having our own fun - and boy do I embrace that....I use my DVC multiple times a year, but only once every other year with my kids and grandchildren (their choice, not mine). That said, my DH and I were just talking about how our youngest grandson will only have use of Boardwalk until he's 20! And then what! :rotfl2: I'll be 80, DH will be 83, and yes, I still plan on using it!

Sorry...too much talking. The question I ask myself before purchasing something I really want, or a vacation I really want to go on is.....which will I regret more? Spending the money, or not doing or buying that thing I really want? Works every time, I never "missed" the money and I have no regrets.

It is a personal decision, of course and there is also the option of renting points each year, thereby, no financial responsibility as an owner. Either way, you will get there every year and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Dee

Is it fair to say that might not apply to people who want 2BDs because of the BWV studio availability issues mentioned above?

It seems trying to get a 2Bd at BWV may be a crap shoot even at 11m during Spring Break.
Would somewhat disagree. At 11 months - maybe for standard and BW views, but if you just want a regular pool/garden view at 11 months it shouldn't be too hard. That said, the 2-bedroom situation at BW is not great with all the studios, and often 2-bedrooms will be gone very quickly, so if you don't want to have to book at 11-months all the time, it's not a great resource to own.

Sure, buy the BW. DO IT. But I'd sell the other stuff, especially the AK, which is relatively high IMO. It's not like it's hard to book AK.

Heck, just buy stacks of SSR points and be flexible and crazy!

Sounds like it's time for an estate plan with real, local legal advice. Plenty of DVC forecloses because estates don't want to or don't even know to probate in Florida.

Maybe it's time to get all of this transfered into a trust or some kind of other method that isn't going to require out of state probate. Especially for AUL. Ouch. I would probably hold in an LLC in my home state. I would do that because of my home state's laws and the current Blue Card policies, assuming you have a blue card in there.

I think technically we can only use the points through 2041, am I correct? Not that the 17/18 year thing makes much of a difference. We own most of our points at BWV, the rest at AKV. BW is and always will be our favorite.

Dee

The resort "Closes" Jan 31, 2042, so yes the last year we get points will be 2041. No one yet knows how they will handle that transition. (For instance, if you December UY and get points December 1st 2041, will they really make you have to use your points in two months time or borrow them to 2040, or will they let us still use the points per normal even though our contract runs out.

The resort "Closes" Jan 31, 2042, so yes the last year we get points will be 2041. No one yet knows how they will handle that transition. (For instance, if you December UY and get points December 1st 2041, will they really make you have to use your points in two months time or borrow them to 2040, or will they let us still use the points per normal even though our contract runs out.
thank you

Sure, buy the BW. DO IT. But I'd sell the other stuff, especially the AK, which is relatively high IMO. It's not like it's hard to book AK.

Heck, just buy stacks of SSR points and be flexible and crazy!

Sounds like it's time for an estate plan with real, local legal advice. Plenty of DVC forecloses because estates don't want to or don't even know to probate in Florida.

Maybe it's time to get all of this transfered into a trust or some kind of other method that isn't going to require out of state probate. Especially for AUL. Ouch. I would probably hold in an LLC in my home state. I would do that because of my home state's laws and the current Blue Card policies, assuming you have a blue card in there.
This is definitely a solid strategy, on its own.!!

Yep, I think when doing 2042 math, people should be only counting 16years now. (2024 is basically going to be over for booking before we know it, & 2042 wont matter)

We recently stayed at Boardwalk and absolutely loved it. We had a refurbished room with a boardwalk view and as the Epcot fireworks went off with a dazzling display, I decided in that moment that we needed to buy there. In order for our snowbird dreams to come true, we need 240 more points to allow us to stay eight weeks on WDW property. My heart says Boardwalk is the answer and my brain screams there's only 18 years left on the contract. My husband is 65 and I'm 54. We already have 590 points to leave to our kiddos. VGF, AKL and AUL are what we already own, so our kids have plenty of years to enjoy our contracts. I'm still torn if we should buy where we love with only 18 years left or buy where there are more years to utilize. What say you? And how much would you offer per point for Boardwalk with only 18 years left?
I just re-confirmed our BWV resale purchase was a "smart move". I picked up a loaded BWV contract mid-COVID, at a really good price, even though I had initially been looking to add on at BCV (Love the Pool, Beaches & Cream, EPCOT access). BUT - the Jan & Feb points chart at BWV is very attractive, if you can score the standard view rooms. We just did that for our 2025 trip, and we basically can get 3 weeks in a BWV studio for the same points that would get us 2 weeks at BCV (or the Premium BWV categories). If, based on availability, we are unable to get the standard view at BWV, then we look to swap over to BCV at 7 months for the amenities. So, I think it's still a viable strategy to buy BWV, even with the 2042 expiration.

We own 50 points at BWV, along with four other contracts...Poly / SSR....and whenever I talk about potentially selling one to buy 150 points at Riv for the Blue Card, the stipulation from my entire family is I am NEVER allowed to touch our Boardwalk points. The value / happiness those measly 50 points have brought us in the three years now we have owned them has been awesome. If you get a good deal - the low point charts really allow you to stretch points - do it!

So I'm sure this point has been made but for some interesting comparison.... I'm booking wine and dine weekend for 6 days. There are 5 of us.... it is the same points for a 2 bedroom garden pool view at boardwalk vs a one bedroom at riviera. Getting a two bedroom for the next 18 years vs a one bedroom may be worth the loss of some years on the contract. I still wish the BWV one bedroom slept 5 then it would be insanely better even though it's a shorter contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter