Tapatalk and Disboards

Am I the only one who finds this board REALLY slow to load often. I frequently click on a thread and then go to another page in a different browser tab because it would take 20-30 sec to load on my computer. The search is even slower and often the results are 1000s, many of which are not relevant to the search.

The only reason I bring this up is because if the owners of the board consider upgrading the website to allow tapatalk, maybe they could think about an overall larger upgrade to accomodate this board's volume better and let it run faster and more efficiently. I frequent quite a few very active boards (including cruise critic, some android forums...) and while the boards have 1000s of posts every day, they are all much faster than DIS. It would be nice to see improvement in this as well as being able to use tapatalk.

K

Another vote here for TapaTalk. I use it for CruiseCritic and Passporters, and we have a Disney Cruise coming up soon!

I wish it was that simple
It goes something like this
Tapatalk won't work with our boards because we use a third part search system and it's not compatible
The mobile client that will work is not compatible with our CURRENT version of search
We can't upgrade search because the new search is not compatible with our current version of Linux

So.. I have some new servers I am setting up now
Once that is done we will migrate to the new servers
Upgrade the search
Try the compatible mobile client....

Stay tuned!!

So how are the new servers coming along? I know it's a lot of work to get things set up and move things over and not have down-time on the DIS.

Unless the mobile client is free, people are not likely to pay for it just to read DISboards. Tapatalk is widely used for most boards (pretty much every single board I am on uses it). I think it will not be successful to find some "random" mobile client and assume that people will want to pay for the app.... Because most of us don't want to pay for anything when it comes to the internet.

I would recommend finding an upgrade for the boards that makes use of tapatalk (and a better search engine)....

JMHO of course.

Did anyone say anything about paying for the mobile client?
As for finding an upgrade for the board, find me some software that
can handle our volume.
Trust me there is not much out there

Did anyone say anything about paying for the mobile client?
As for finding an upgrade for the board, find me some software that
can handle our volume.
Trust me there is not much out there

No arguments, I'm a huge PHPBB user and I agree that vBulletin is the only one out there that can handle the volume. I'm looking at moving a couple of my hosting customers over to vBulletin from PHPBB because PHPBB cannot handle the number of posts and threads.

What does Cruise Critic use? They have huge volume and use TapaTalk. The board runs smoothly without delays in loading or in searching. They also have nice features like seeing your own posts or your own threads. I'd love to see something like that!

Not trying to offend, just trying to help. I believe Tapatalk is a $5.99 app?

Katherine

They use Vbulletin and they also use the same search system we do (at my reccomendation) but it doesn't do well through tapatalk. They have much more updated servers which is why they are running better at the moment but they have certainly had their issues at times, I have consulted with them on their tech issues. Our traffic is higher
Ours will be free so I'm not sure what the issue is.

pssst.. look at the announcements...
New Servers.... mobile client is coming!!!!

At the top of the posts on any forum

So would you rather have a free mobile app OR one that cost 19.95 BUT I'll throw in 2 Sham Wow's AND a free set of Ginsu knives?

So would you rather have a free mobile app OR one that cost 19.95 BUT I'll throw in 2 Sham Wow's AND a free set of Ginsu knives?

Any update on the mobile platform? And I still don't see "announcements"

I had the new servers all ready to go and we ran into an issue with our host and the new servers.
I'm not sure what is going to happen. Very dissapointing after all the work that went in to it

LOL - I'll pay $39.95 if you throw in free shipping and a Keurig!

Good luck with the upgrades - I appreciate the way you are taking on the challenges.

so whats up? Are we getting Tapatalk or not? It's really nice to have it for cruisecritic, would like it for here too. :)

Nice chart.

That chart is over a year old. In mobile devices that is like two decades. I would find it hard to believe RIM is still #2. There is actually a deal on eBay today for the RIM Playbook for $169. They are taking a beating.

That chart is over a year old. In mobile devices that is like two decades. I would find it hard to believe RIM is still #2. There is actually a deal on eBay today for the RIM Playbook for $169. They are taking a beating.

Here is a newer one:
smartphone_1-12.png

I see the server upgrades happened last evening. The website is really fast now! That is great. Any news on a mobile client for iPhone / iPad / Android?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter