Teach me your ways and Tell me my plan is okay before I book fast passes

Lexje06

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I posted my plans before and got great feedback and have modified them accordingly. Please let me know if my updated plans seem plausible before I am set to book my fast passes. I haven’t been to Disney in over 10 years and am a single mommy going alone with a 4 year old and so any other tips you have are seriously appreciate. I can’t thank all you Disney pros enough.

DAY 1

Land in Orlando at 8:10 am. We will have carry on bags only. I will make sure one of those bags is prepped and ready to go for the park (change of clothes, sun screen, snacks, portable fan, money, etc.)

Land and uber to hotel (AKL). Check our bags at front desk and uber or bus it to AKL.

Hopefully get to the park by 10:30. Go to pandora and grab a bite. Just site see.

1st FP- 11:30-12:30. Dinosaur.
12-1. Spend time in dinosaur land, try to do triceratops ride - My son loves dinosaurs so he will love this.

2nd FP 1:15-2:15. Rapids

3rd FP 2:20-3:20. Safari - try to get FP bugs life
for 6:15-7:15
3:30 get in line for lion king
4:00-4:30 lion king
5:00-6:15. character dinner at tusker

Hit up bugs life before we leave if we get the FP or if not line at 6:30.

Leave by 7:14. Back at hotel by 7:45. BED

**IF BY CHANCE we get FP to FOP at 60 days out this is all subject to change. But I am not counting on that and don’t want to get my hopes up.*

DAY 2:

EMM at magic kingdom

6:00 wake up

6:45 head to park

7:45 enter park

7:45-9 do fantasy land

9:30- 10 included EMM breakfast

1st FP 10:00- 11:00. Splash mountain

2nd FP 11:10 -12:10 jungle cruise OR PIRATES? OPINIONS??

12:15-1:15- haunted mansion

tomorrow land until 2:30 (try to get a FP for buzz) do the Astro orbiter and/or Tomorrowland speedway it waits aren’t bad.

Parade 2:30-3:30

Head to hotel. Relax and swim 4:30-6:30

Dinner at Boma at 6:30.

BED.

DAY 3

EMM Hollywood studios

Get there by 7:00 and do toy story land until 9.

9 am sharp sign up for Jedi training

9:30-10 breakfast

1st FP. 10-11 twilight of terror

2nd FP 11:10-12:10 Star Wars ride

12:30 get in line for Jedi training at 1:00

1:00-1:30 Jedi training

Not sure what to use last FP on. Maybe meeting Star Wars character?

Back to hotel by 3:00.

Swim relax.

Dinner reservation at Sanaa at 7:00

DAY 4

Leave for airport by 8 am.

I sometimes travel solo with one or both of my kids (who are 8 and 4) so I’ve been in your shoes.

Those two EMMs in a row are sort of tough at that age, but the trade off is the ability to cover a ton of ground. I wish you luck.

My couple of comments:

3rd FP 2:20-3:20. Safari - try to get FP bugs life
for 6:15-7:15

You don’t need a FP for Bugs. I’d search for something else... Navi, and whatever pops up that may be of interest.

Also I’m sure you know what you are doing but I took my son to Bugs when he was 4 or 5 and my normally solid/dependable/level headed boy totally lost it during and after that show. We just did it again a few weeks ago (he’s 8 now) and it brings him to tears. I think I traumatized him for life that first time a few years ago.

1st FP 10:00- 11:00. Splash mountain

I would personally make your FP window earlier, like 9:30-10:30am. That way you are using your first FP at the end of its window, then can quickly move on to use FP 2. I like to move through my first three as quickly as possible, especially at MK, so I have more time to refresh/search for others later on.

Other than that, sounds like an awesome time.

Rest up! :-)

I sometimes travel solo with one or both of my kids (who are 8 and 4) so I’ve been in your shoes.

Those two EMMs in a row are sort of tough at that age, but the trade off is the ability to cover a ton of ground. I wish you luck.

My couple of comments:

You don’t need a FP for Bugs. I’d search for something else... Navi, and whatever pops up that may be of interest.

Also I’m sure you know what you are doing but I took my son to Bugs when he was 4 or 5 and my normally solid/dependable/level headed boy totally lost it during and after that show. We just did it again a few weeks ago (he’s 8 now) and it brings him to tears. I think I traumatized him for life that first time a few years ago.

I would personally make your FP window earlier, like 9:30-10:30am. That way you are using your first FP at the end of its window, then can quickly move on to use FP 2. I like to move through my first three as quickly as possible, especially at MK, so I have more time to refresh/search for others later on.

Other than that, sounds like an awesome time.

Rest up! :-)
Thanks! What’s wrong with bugs though?! I can’t remember !

With the Day 1 schedule no reason to just use Magical Express and save a few bucks. We love the nights in the parks and the fireworks shows. I understand you have a 4-year-old and all your plans are very early but the parks/rides at night are great.

How tall is your son?
(I ask because some rides/attractions have certain height requirements. You can find a list of attractions here, and an option to filter by height.)

Regarding the safari, I've heard it's best to do that early in the morning or later in the day (whenever the last few trips go out), because the animals are likely to be more active during those periods.

I don't have kids, but my general understanding is to simply stick to the normal/at-home routine (meal times, sleep times, etc.) as much as possible, and always be prepared for the possibility of a meltdown, and you should be good.
(I would make an exception for at least one fireworks show, though.)

Also not to turn this into a Transportation Board discussion, but at 4 you do need a car seat per FL law. There are some Uber’s with a car seat option, but not many. Just wanted to mention that as it could impact your arrival plans.

Dinosaur is VERY loud, VERY rough and VERY dark. My 4-year-old nephew would freak out on it. Just a word of warning in case you were unaware of the ride.

I would say at 60 days you may be able to get FOP. We got it on our second day this June. If you want to be at MK by 7:45 you may want to leave a little earlier then 6:45. Then again I'm not sure how busy buses are that early because we have not gone to EMM. Any other time I would say allow an hour a half for MK.

I would say at 60 days you may be able to get FOP. We got it on our second day this June. If you want to be at MK by 7:45 you may want to leave a little earlier then 6:45. Then again I'm not sure how busy buses are that early because we have not gone to EMM. Any other time I would say allow an hour a half for MK.
I’m wondering if I should flip AK with HS days. Only ONLY reason I’m doing HS so early is because I want to make sure he can do Jedi training. But do you think we could still get in if we got there around 10:00 day of arrival?

You should not have a problem getting FOP so I would work that into your plans. If for some reason you don’t get it at 60 days keep checking - it will come up at some point since people are changing plans all the time. We snagged same day FPs for FOP on our last trip in May (it was our fourth FP that day after getting one at the 60 day mark) - just may take a little work refreshing. Have fun!

On your MK day, use the FP for Jungle Cruise instead of Pirates. In the morning Pirates can be an almost walk-on, whereas JC always to seem to have that wretched line. Plus much of Pirates line if there is one is inside.

On your MK day, use the FP for Jungle Cruise instead of Pirates. In the morning Pirates can be an almost walk-on, whereas JC always to seem to have that wretched line. Plus much of Pirates line if there is one is inside.

This plus you can also get a pirates fast pass by playing the pirates adventure game if that is something you think your son may like. My girls love the interaction games but we haven’t done this one yet. It’s on our to do list.

Have you considered using the Magic Express? It is not as quick as an uber/lyft, but it certainly helps excite everyone in the party, especially if you have kids!

Is your 4 yr old super human? Just reading your schedule is making me tiered. I would slow down and not plan for such early and long days. Especially your landing day. To get off a plane and go right to the park and stay all night is a bit adventurous. I understand you don't have many days but just be prepared to cut out alot of things if your 4 yr old gets tiered or overwhelmed.

A bug's Life is my favorite show due to all the children screaming and parents rushing them out . It is pretty scary imo.

I would skip Kali River Rapids, or try and make it for when you're ready to leave the park. It's not fun walking around if you happen to (and probably will) get soaked. 😲

Even though you don't have a ton planned for your first day- it will be a LONG day since you are traveling. We've done this too, but always wish we didn't plan an expensive, special dinner on the first night ( if we have an early travel day.) We just don't appreciate it and its expensive for an hour long dinner. Also, there are a ton of animals to enjoy at AK- I would skip Bug's Life and maybe take the train and explore.
Day 2 looks good, Imo. As long as you are in bed early the night before.
Day 3, when we did Jedi training we didn't get to choose the time- not sure if that has changed? You were just put in the schedule according to when you signed up...Also, I would skip ToT with a four year old and see a show or something, personally.

Just a heads up that if your trip is this summer, Tower of Terror is not operating at full capacity. Therefore, the fastpasses have been harder to come by, especially in the mornings. You should be able to get a fastpass at 60+3, but you will have to be up at 7am ET sharp and ready to book that one first. I just booked mine yesterday and noticed they were gone for the morning time slots 10 minutes after the fastpass window opened. Tower of Terror may be too much for many 4 year olds, but you know him best and can gauge his reaction to the other rides. My 4 year old was perfectly fine on Tower of Terror and Dinsoaur, but my 4 year old nephew did not do well on either. He was apprehensive is the queue leading up to the rides which was a big clue! Agree that you should keep Jungle Cruise over Pirates. Jungle Cruise can develop long lines by that time.

Here's my opinion on a few things... absolutely take Magical Express it makes the trip so much more magical!... tragic Express on the other hand not so much ;)

2nd... use the FP on Jungle Cruise as Pirates Fps are easier to get same day and JC can get a long line fast.

3rd... only you know your 4 year old and what they can handle so use your mama instincts. For example both my girls have been going since they were younger than 1 year old. With that said we usually stay a week to ten days every year where we... open the park and close the park almost every single day. They nap is the stroller like champs...never once have I had a melt down (I guess maybe I am lucky)

My girls have also been going on Bugs, Dinosaur, ToT, and every other ride I can imagine since they have been at height to do so... and ones like Bugs since they were a few months old... never cried once they are 5 and 8 now (almost) and they still love those rides!

So again the point is only you know your child and what they can handle so go with that.

Dont use a FP on bugs... we dont FP shows unless its day of and we can get an extra. I would also try to get the Fps earlier and closer together if possible.. it will leave room for possible extra FPs

Its been about 18 years since my dd was 4, but we did a couple solo mom/solo kid trips that year (and maybe a couple dozen over the next decade). I'm guessing that you've checked heights, and he's good for all. Does he happen to be 48" My dd loved Primeval Whirl as well. I'm guessing that your trip is in August? We didn't deal with the advance FPs when she was little, so that's tough. For the last 18 years, I've found that doing disney as a mom and kid is different than as a larger (even three person) family. So a lot of touring truisms didn't work for us. (I also happened to have a night kid, so we generally got going later and closed the parks.)

While I like that you are trying to structure your days, our absolute favorite thing about a mommy/kid vacation at Disney was that mommy de-stressed. So other than ADRs and FPs, I wouldn't "Plan" for anything else. Maybe lead, but not plan. Suppose you don't get everything you have planned done. You know why? Probably because you were having fun doing something else. Don't risk losing out on having fun because you are trying to stick to a schedule.

And about those ADRs - are you doing free dining? If not, I'd only do one sit-down (character) meal. On a short trip, they break the momentum and take too much focus to make sure you get there on time. If you do sit down meals, consider a later lunch in the heat of the day when you need a break. Or after you're done at the parks, but before you go to your room. Once you've either eaten or gone to your room at the end of the day, one or both of you may be done in. Sitting down earlier gives you a chance to get going again, refreshed.

As I'm looking at your plans, I wonder about switching your MK and DHS days? It seems like you've planned for a shorter DHS day, so that might be good after your longer first day? If you have energy, you can go to Disney Springs and see the Lego Store sculptures, or WinterSummerland to play golf in the evening. Early on, my dd and I started doing Space Mountain as our last ride before we leave. We were often able to catch it as it was closing. It ended up becoming a tradition (spoiled last summer - the first trip in many years - because it was down. 😭 ) But if you think you will be back, it would be fun to have something park-related on your last night.

I've put some notes in your plans. I hope this helps! Unfortunately, I'm afraid I was mostly being nostalgic. We had so much fun on our trips and have so many memories. But it's the not park things that make the trip. Early on, we started playing shadow tag as we walked to Epcot. I'm not sure why or how, but it is just something that, even at 22, we still do. But it's the things like that that make a trip. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAY 1

2nd FP 1:15-2:15. Rapids

you will get soaked. All they way through. I try to leave this for the last ride of the day, unless you don't mind. And you have shoes that work being soaked.

My dd at 4 loved all things that moved. Primeval whirl. She would have loved EE if she had been the right age. I did warn her about the bugs and stings at Bugs Life. And yes, she would have loved FOP at 4. I'm with the crew that says use ME. Unless you check a booster for the car.

DAY 2:

2nd FP 11:10 -12:10 jungle cruise OR PIRATES? OPINIONS?? jungle cruise.

Leave for airport by 8 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter