The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Went for my regular walk yesterday and got a mild case of vertigo I'd like to share.

I live in a college town a half mile from the University of Alabama football stadium. The stadium has been undergoing a serious transformation that started literally the day after the last home game and contractually must be ready by the scheduled date of the first home game this season. It's an aggressive schedule.

Among the thing being accomplished are moving the press box area (which has been in place for decades) from the shaded side of the stands over to the opposite (sunny side) and convert that space and other lunch-pail regular fan seating into luxury boxes, suites, clubs, and "loges" (whatever they are). Then they're doing a few other items like bigger video screens in all 4 corners, widening the concourses on the upper levels (concession stand lines at halftime block foot traffic), and more elevators and stairwells to the upper levels (there are spiral walkways on all four corners and stairwells off the end zone uppers already).

Anyway, I think this stadium widening is getting a little outa hand....... :sad2:

I went to my first home game in 1978 when the stadium was just the lower bowl and now there are uppers on both sidelines and end zones. But the widening of the concourse thing has me feeling vertigo. The new concourse additions are hanging out OVER THE STREET for cryin' out loud! :sad:

I'm not comfortable with it at all. At the Eiffel Tower at the top I had my back so tight against the wall I was stuck to it like superglue. So this might take some getting use to.

The one good thing is the elevator and stairwell shaft just behind the white pick-up lets out at the upper level RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY SECTION. So when I get old (not there quite yet) I can still get to my seats.

Anyway, it's an unusual picture being so cantilevered over the street. I'm sure some structural engineer signed off on the design. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - I hope we play college football soon.

Oh and they better make it bigger, since everyone is going to have to sit six feet away from everyone in every direction. Stadium should hold about 5000 with social distancing.

Oh and they better make it bigger, since everyone is going to have to sit six feet away from everyone in every direction. Stadium should hold about 5000 with social distancing.

Net capacity (more spacious boxes replacing armchair seating) will only be reduced by 1,000 or so. Will still be over 100k (thanks for your interest). :teeth:

Our Governor (an Auburn lady but she has a lot of Bama advisors) made the wise decision this week to not open up our state of Alabama for business YET. End of the month will be the update.

When she imposed the social distancing restrictions at the start of April, she specifically said there won't be a CHANCE of any fall football if we don't implement distancing then.

She knows what buttons to push. She's an old lady with a wonderful deep Southern accent whose been receiving cancer treatments, but given that she has been a responsible lifelong state politician in various offices with no hint of scandal (unlike most of her predecessors) she is a breath of fresh air. She is deceptively likeable.

I paid for my seat license and will pay for my season tix next month so I hope there are sports on campus this fall. I got refunded for missed baseball games this spring, though, so Bama will make it right if need be.

Bama Ed

PS - when you comin' down for a game, PaHunter?

Last edited:
i have good news and bad news. The good news is today we went to my brothers condo to have the door fixed. He actually left it hanging fixed a few things and put the trim on. Am still deciding if I should have made him rip it out and start over. The hope is it is good enough to sell. We still need to paint the door and the dining room but will do that on the weekend. Hopefully it will be ready to go on the market next week.

the bad news, Mallory is sick again. Some kind of stomach bug. When you have a paralyzed dog with a bed sore, liquid poop is not a good thing. I do have her stomach meds so she is on that and probably won’t get any food tonight, I am hoping it’s just a bug. Honestly when it is poop, I am actually less worried about it being something bad. I mean it usually gets better. The problem with poop though is the mess it brings. good thing I had some of the large diapers.

Net capacity (more spacious boxes replacing armchair seating) will only be reduced by 1,000 or so. Will still be over 100k (thanks for your interest). :teeth:

Our Governor (an Auburn lady but she has a lot of Bama advisors) made the wise decision this week to not open up our state of Alabama for business YET. End of the month will be the update.

When she imposed the social distancing restrictions at the start of April, she specifically said there won't be a CHANCE of any fall football if we don't implement distancing then.

She knows what buttons to push. She's an old lady with a wonderful deep Southern accent whose been receiving cancer treatments, but given that she has been a responsible lifelong state politician in various offices with no hint of scandal (unlike most of her predecessors) she is a breath of fresh air. She is deceptively likeable.

I paid for my seat license and will pay for my season tix next month so I hope there are sports on campus this fall. I got refunded for missed baseball games this spring, though, so Bama will make it right if need be.

Bama Ed

PS - when you comin' down for a game, PaHunter?

Well since it is right around the corner....plus 15 hours. We will see, we have reservations for Disney in November, but they may get cancelled based on what happens when they open. We booked to see all the Christmas stuff, parades, fireworks, and all. Well if Disney is not doing that when they reopen we will most likely reschedule that trip to a later time. So then we would have a few days vacation to take. So someday.

Well, after last year, I've had enough of messing around with the LP fridge. I removed it and installed a residential unit. The new one as deeper but not as wide. Last fall I busted up an entertainment center that was in the basement, but being Bohemian, I kept the solid wood, hardware and pull out vhs drawers (yeah it was old). I made a mini pantry with pull out and overhead storage 20200310_170152_copy_687x1441.jpg20200423_151927_copy_784x1613.jpg20200423_151855_copy_644x1451.jpg

First RV camping trip about 1983 (10 year old me in window).. a rental Shasta Class C... was a cross country trip from MA to out west (Yellowstone and various other western/mid-western stops for 2 1/2 - 3 weeks). Did it a few years earlier (with more stops... the RV trip was a return to parents favorite places from first trip) camping in 1978 Ford Econoline 150 van that my parents had put in their own carpet, insulation and window treatments. That was fun to as we slept in sleeping bags in van and mom cooked on little propane Coleman stove... a lot of liverwurst sandwiches too as I recall...69B09DEA-3A9A-452B-A408-80DD1CB27632.jpeg

Mallory update. She slept most if today. Finally stopped pooping this morning, of course I did not let her eat yesterday nor did she want to. I think system is cleared out. Plus on third dose of medicine and that is the magic number usually. She was hungry for dinner tonight. She got some chicken and rice. She devoured it. Now it’s bed time and well she is not sleeping and I think that is because she slept all day and I Hope feeling better. Ugh will be a long night.

Want to get your head spinning with Disney related discussion? Try out that Disney Rumors and News Forum... :faint:

That's the only other place on the DIS I regularly read. Rteetz does a pretty good job keeping it reigned in.

j

I agree with that, but just a ton of stuff to sort through... lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter