The Disney Box for Two. . .A Christmas PTR updtd 7/28 The Ticker's Not an Illusion

creativeamanda

DIS Veteran
It's been beaten up. It's seen it's better days. Year after year we have been together. For better or worse. Yet this year, the Disney Box just really didn't make it. Before our May/June trip, the box hit a minor catastrophe--it carried so much stuff, it suffered from a huge crack in the side.

I am so sorry, Disney box. I will always fondly remember you. With duct tape on the side (which fixes everything), our old Disney box has a new function. . .holding tax records from the past 7 years.

Not a great function, but a function, nonetheless.

There was just something missing. . .a new Disney box. A new one? Mounds and mounds of decisions. . .small, medium, large? 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 20 gallon? Blue, clear, teal? What kind?

Walking through Walmart, I found a match for my dilemma:

IMG_1135.jpg

Teal, 20 gallons. And already getting full. :confused3

And then I got what I consider the mother of all codes--free dining. (CCue the choir) Yes. Free dining for a trip from December 17-December 24.

So here are our plans:

December 17-24, 2010
7 day Park hoppers
POP Century
we upgraded from the QS plan to DDxP

(and this PTR will combine as a dining PTR as well)

The Cast:
May oldest Daughter (age 11) and I. Here we are, at MK last month for Extra Magic Hours:

Photo1011.jpg

Coming up. . .a crazy morning.

Table of Contents:

The Disney Box for Two. . .A Christmas mother-daughter Trip Report

A Crazy Morning

Dining Reservations

Resort Change

ADR Updates and Meal plans Day 1

Meal Plans Day 2

Meal Plans Day 3

Just Grrr. . . .

GRRR Averted

ADR Updates and Day 4 Meals

No, That Ticker is Not An Illusion--the End of this PTR, albeit abruptly

That's what I would call this morning. Absolutely, unequivocably, without a doubt

CRAZY.

Yep, that's it--all caps, bolded, and italicized.

I wake up this morning at the hour known as 10:30am. (Hey--it's summer vacation for this teacher!) I notice my phone is flashing. This almost always means I have voice mail or an email. I see I have an email from Tour Guide Mike letting me know that free dining had been extended for December. I didn't dare think it would include my dates, though.

I picked up the phone. I called.

(cue the theme from Soarin') I was informed hold time was 25 minutes. :scared1:

I hung up and waited 30 minutes. And called again. 13 minutes was a much better hold time, I think. To bad I waited 40 minutes on hold.

When I finally got through to a castmember (35 min later, mind you), I was informed that the system was down. GRRRR.

Okay--no biggie--I'll just make dining reservations. I leave you all the ADRs for a later time.

2 hours later, I call again. I get through with an awesome CM who gives me my dates (Dec 17-24) for free dining, we upgrade to Deluxe, and change resorts. I originally booked POFQ, but needed a little less room for this trip, seeing as how I never spend much time at the resort. Anywho--I'll be visiting all of the moderate and deluxe resorts, so it was all good. I changed to Pop Century, which ought to feel like going home, seeing as how it was our home for our first trip!

So, 4 hours into the day, and I had spent a crazy morning with Disney Travel Company.

Coming soon. . .ADRs.

consider me subscribed! congrats on the FD!! so did you get the ADRs you want?

btw- love the disney box. my mom bought us all one last year in preparation for our Dec 09 trip. All year long, she bought and gave us goodies to fill it and i started buying tolietries and other gifts early and putting them there. so easy to keep it all in one place!

consider me subscribed! congrats on the FD!! so did you get the ADRs you want?

btw- love the disney box. my mom bought us all one last year in preparation for our Dec 09 trip. All year long, she bought and gave us goodies to fill it and i started buying tolietries and other gifts early and putting them there. so easy to keep it all in one place!

:welcome: The best thing about the Disney Box is being able to keep everything in one place! Right now my Disney binder stuff is in there and I suppose I should work on it. . .

Subbing! Sounds like a great trip. I'm so glad we got FD! We upgraded to Deluxe too. Can't wait to hear about your ADR's.

I'll preface my dining reservations by saying this:

I am known to change dining reservations. Often.

But as it stands right now, we have 21 dining credits each (14 snack credits each) and we plan to use every one of them with snacks and table service. It's not that I don't like CS, but IMO, a good table service serves the same purpose going back to the resort midday does--a rest from everything. In this case, without a doubt, it makes a whole lot of sense.

No waiting for the bus, riding it, walking back to the room, then riding back to the park.

A chance to visit resorts nearer to the park for lunches and dinners.

So as of now, this is what we have. . .we are coming in late Friday night, so no reservations then:

Saturday December 18, 2010
Breakfast: The Crystal Palace
Lunch: Snack Credits at Main St. Bakery
Dinner: Cinderella's Royal Table (new for both of us)

Sunday, December 19, 2010
Breakfast: Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
Lunch: Tutto Italia Ristorante
Dinner: Flying Fish Café (new for dd)

Monday December 20, 2010
Brunch: Boma–Flavors of Africa (new for dd)
Dinner: California Grill (new for both of us)

Tuesday December 21, 2010
Breakfast: Chef Mickey's (have only done dinner)
Lunch: Grand Floridian Café
Dinner: Cape May Café

Wednesday December 22, 2010
Breakfast: Kouzzina by Cat Cora (new for both of us)
Lunch: Coral Reef Restaurant
Dinner: Le Cellier Steakhouse (couldn't believe I snagged this--will try to get a CP package for lunch at Coral Reef for the 5:00 showing, which will have us out in time for this meal)

Thursday December 23, 2010
Late morning--snack credits for breakfast
Lunch: Les Chefs de France
Dinner: Narcoossee's (new for dd)

Friday December 24, 2010
Breakfast: Kona Café (have only done dinner)
Lunch: Wolfgang Puck® Café (new for both, but may lose out if we get that CP package elsewhere on Wednesday)

So there you have it--our dining reservations (so far).

I'll preface my dining reservations by saying this:

I am known to change dining reservations. Often.

But as it stands right now, we have 21 dining credits each (14 snack credits each) and we plan to use every one of them with snacks and table service. It's not that I don't like CS, but IMO, a good table service serves the same purpose going back to the resort midday does--a rest from everything. In this case, without a doubt, it makes a whole lot of sense.

No waiting for the bus, riding it, walking back to the room, then riding back to the park.

A chance to visit resorts nearer to the park for lunches and dinners.

So as of now, this is what we have. . .we are coming in late Friday night, so no reservations then:

Saturday December 18, 2010
Breakfast: The Crystal Palace
Lunch: Snack Credits at Main St. Bakery
Dinner: Cinderella's Royal Table (new for both of us)

Sunday, December 19, 2010
Breakfast: Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
Lunch: Tutto Italia Ristorante
Dinner: Flying Fish Café (new for dd)

Monday December 20, 2010
Brunch: Boma–Flavors of Africa (new for dd)
Dinner: California Grill (new for both of us)

Tuesday December 21, 2010
Breakfast: Chef Mickey's (have only done dinner)
Lunch: Grand Floridian Café
Dinner: Cape May Café

Wednesday December 22, 2010
Breakfast: Kouzzina by Cat Cora (new for both of us)
Lunch: Coral Reef Restaurant
Dinner: Le Cellier Steakhouse (couldn't believe I snagged this--will try to get a CP package for lunch at Coral Reef for the 5:00 showing, which will have us out in time for this meal)

Thursday December 23, 2010
Late morning--snack credits for breakfast
Lunch: Les Chefs de France
Dinner: Narcoossee's (new for dd)

Friday December 24, 2010
Breakfast: Kona Café (have only done dinner)
Lunch: Wolfgang Puck® Café (new for both, but may lose out if we get that CP package elsewhere on Wednesday)

So there you have it--our dining reservations (so far).

Your ADR's look great! We are doing the same things as your DEc 18th, only we are doing it the 19th, lol. We are also doing Les Chefs lunch, Le Cellier dinner, Chef Mickey's breakfast, and California Grill too! Just not at the same times as you :laughing: We have eaten at Boma and enjoyed it and Kouzzina as well. You will have to let me know how you like them!

I'M HERE!!!! I got home from work at 6:30 and headed right to facebook as always and saw your update post! I was like you've got to be kidding me!!! I went on Dis and of course it was posted everywhere! I was thinking YES! I can use this in Oct if I go with my former WDW roomies/CM co-workers but then I saw the dreaded must stay 5 nights/6 days and we're going for 4 nights/ 5 days and then I looked and it's blocked out the weekend we picked (weekend after Columbus Day) so that means we would be going the week before Halloween going into Halloween weekend and I'm not so sure I want to get into that mess!! Great for you though! I'm going to go crunch numbers for our possible trip to see Dbro in Dec :)

Your ADR's look great! We are doing the same things as your DEc 18th, only we are doing it the 19th, lol. We are also doing Les Chefs lunch, Le Cellier dinner, Chef Mickey's breakfast, and California Grill too! Just not at the same times as you :laughing: We have eaten at Boma and enjoyed it and Kouzzina as well. You will have to let me know how you like them!

Boma is awesome--I ate there last year. I'm nervous about Kouzzina for my daughter--she is not very adventurous.

I'M HERE!!!! I got home from work at 6:30 and headed right to facebook as always and saw your update post! I was like you've got to be kidding me!!! I went on Dis and of course it was posted everywhere! I was thinking YES! I can use this in Oct if I go with my former WDW roomies/CM co-workers but then I saw the dreaded must stay 5 nights/6 days and we're going for 4 nights/ 5 days and then I looked and it's blocked out the weekend we picked (weekend after Columbus Day) so that means we would be going the week before Halloween going into Halloween weekend and I'm not so sure I want to get into that mess!! Great for you though! I'm going to go crunch numbers for our possible trip to see Dbro in Dec :)

LOL--Megan, you have to try for the same week as me--we can have a meet!

As I lay my head down last night, I had a sickening feeling.

Very sickening.

Call me a resort snob if you want, but I was simply not happy with my resort choice. This morning, I got up and called a not so very knowledgable CM who nonetheless changed my reservations.

To POFQ.

I may drop the first night, but we are staying POFQ. It'll be $400 more, but still a huge savings over the original booking.

As I lay my head down last night, I had a sickening feeling.

Very sickening.

Call me a resort snob if you want, but I was simply not happy with my resort choice. This morning, I got up and called a not so very knowledgable CM who nonetheless changed my reservations.

To POFQ.

I may drop the first night, but we are staying POFQ. It'll be $400 more, but still a huge savings over the original booking.
woo hoo- congrats on switching. my sis and i stayed at POFQ and loved it.

and love your ADRs and plans! great snag on Le Cellier. I can't wait until the CLP packages come out. I am also hoping to snag one! We actually enjoyed Coral Reef for lunch. And we love CP breakfast, i think it is the best breakfast on property. :thumbsup2

yay!!! I love PoFQ! It was the first resort we stayed at when I was 7 :) It will always hold a special place in my heart!! And the food court..enough said!

woo hoo- congrats on switching. my sis and i stayed at POFQ and loved it.

and love your ADRs and plans! great snag on Le Cellier. I can't wait until the CLP packages come out. I am also hoping to snag one! We actually enjoyed Coral Reef for lunch. And we love CP breakfast, i think it is the best breakfast on property. :thumbsup2

I had Coral Reef at lunchtime last year and found it to be less busy and less crowded than dinner. CP for breakfast is great, too!

I love POFQ, and my daughter is real excited about it.

yay!!! I love PoFQ! It was the first resort we stayed at when I was 7 :) It will always hold a special place in my heart!! And the food court..enough said!

The food court there is awesome. MMMMMMMM. . . .beignets.

Amanda,
We'll be there at the same time! :banana:

YAY! Where are you staying? We really need to make plans for a dismeet this time. I'm pretty sure from photopass I could recognize you! :goodvibes

I told you all I would be planning to make changes. Our first change rests on the fact that 3 table services per day is too much.

There, I said it. I'm on the DxDP and I know 3 TSs are too much on any dining plan. I've rearranged and dropped a couple of locations, leaving me with:

Friday, Dec 17, 2010
Late arrival, no dinner

Saturday, Dec 18, 2010
Breakfast: Crystal Palace
Dinner: Cinderella's Royal Table (**)

Sunday, Dec 19, 2010
Breakfast: Akershus
Dinner: Flying Fish Cafe (*)

Monday, Dec 20, 2010
Breakfast: Boma (*)
Dinner: California Grill (**)

Tuesday, Dec 21, 2010
Lunch: Chefs de France
Dinner: Cape May Cafe

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2010
Lunch: Chef Mickeys (**)--1st for lunch--apparently they only do lunch here during free dining
Dinner: Le Cellier (**)--1st for dinner

Thurs, Dec 23
Lunch: Coral Reef
Dinner: Narcoossee's (*)

Fri, Dec 24
Breakfast: Kona (**)--1st for brkfst
Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern (**)--1st for lunch

~(*)denotes first for Sweetie; (**)denotes first for both of us

This gives us 18 out of 21 used credits. Depending on what time we get in Friday night, it is quite probable we'll split a CS credit at Sassagoula Floatworks or we'll take a short stroll over to POR for make your own pasta, which is Sweetie's favorite. The walk, even at 10pm on Friday, will most likely be welcome after an 8-hour drive to Disney that morning. Otherwise, it will be basic chicken nuggets and french fries on Friday night.

Saturday Plans:
Breakfast is before park opening at Crystal Palace. Knowing the deal, I know to go ahead and get that check before breakfast begins. My first plans are for those delectable delights known as puffed french toast! Yum!

Lunch will most likely be a shared CS from Cosmic Rays. And what, may you ask, is my plan? One of these:

DSC_0144.jpg

1/2 rotisserie chicken with 2 sodas (we can use a snack credit for it), and instead of the carrot cake, we'll get chocolate, as that is Sweetie's favorite.

Dinner that night is at Cinderella's Royal Table. The problem here is not the entre (Sweetie wants salmon, I want prime rib) or with the dessert (anything chocolate for both of us), but with the appetizer. Any good choices? I was thinking the BLT salad. I'm just wondering about Sweetie, who is not a salad type of gal. Perhaps she can eat bread for an app and taste test off of 2 apps I choose. I don't know. That one is up in the air.

If you can't guess, we are planning on a Magic Kingdom day that day. It will be the last day for Wishes, so we want to be there that day.

Oh, and if we have room, there is only one snack credit I want that day:

DSC_0227.jpg

An Ice cream sandwich from Main Street Bakery.

yummy food!!!!! I can't wait to see what you think of Narcoosees since we decided against that ADR. If for some reason (miracle) that we would get into Le Cellier from a cancelation, then I would book Narcoosee so we have a steak and seafood meal!

I want that cookie!

yummy food!!!!! I can't wait to see what you think of Narcoosees since we decided against that ADR. If for some reason (miracle) that we would get into Le Cellier from a cancelation, then I would book Narcoosee so we have a steak and seafood meal!

I want that cookie!

5 months, 1 week, and 2 days until I can have that cookie.

I loved Narcoossee's in December last year--we had a wonderful server and a perfect meal.

One day for a good steak I'll give Yachtsman another chance, but not any time soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter