• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Makeup Clique Thread - Wanna talk makeup? Wanna share tips? Wanna ask ?'s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is SOO overwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm not a make up girl?? I don't have the time and patience to read through every single page of this but I need help in the worst way. Last time I had my make up done by a professional, it was 3 (or 4?) years ago. I'm still using the colors that I bought from that day. They work. So, here's my issue. My skin is terrible. Like.... you know how when you're a teenager and your skin is full of acne and you're like "I can't wait till I'm past this whole puberty crap so my face will be normal?" My face never got normal. I'm 32 years old and my face is awful around that time. I do not tan. I burn, peel and become a ghost all over again. Every summer. Can y'all just do my make up for me? I'll even post a picture and y'all can play in photoshop. Someone come do my make up and tell me what to buy and how to put it on so that I don't look like a clown. Oh, I had my make up done at Merle Norman if that matters at all. I liked how they made me look, but I'm scared to use the amount of eye color and lip color they used because I don't want to look like I should be working a street corner.
So things I like to help y'all better judge me.... I don't like super bright colors. I don't like attention at all (stupid self confidence). They put me in a lot of neutral shades and I was fine with that. I like shimmery things. I like more romantic, natural looking faces.
So.... can anyone help me or am I a complete lost cause here?? My 6 year old even asks me why don't I wear make up like other mommies? lol I apparently look worse than I thought :)

This thread is SOO overwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm not a make up girl?? I don't have the time and patience to read through every single page of this but I need help in the worst way. Last time I had my make up done by a professional, it was 3 (or 4?) years ago. I'm still using the colors that I bought from that day. They work. So, here's my issue. My skin is terrible. Like.... you know how when you're a teenager and your skin is full of acne and you're like "I can't wait till I'm past this whole puberty crap so my face will be normal?" My face never got normal. I'm 32 years old and my face is awful around that time. I do not tan. I burn, peel and become a ghost all over again. Every summer. Can y'all just do my make up for me? I'll even post a picture and y'all can play in photoshop. Someone come do my make up and tell me what to buy and how to put it on so that I don't look like a clown. Oh, I had my make up done at Merle Norman if that matters at all. I liked how they made me look, but I'm scared to use the amount of eye color and lip color they used because I don't want to look like I should be working a street corner.
So things I like to help y'all better judge me.... I don't like super bright colors. I don't like attention at all (stupid self confidence). They put me in a lot of neutral shades and I was fine with that. I like shimmery things. I like more romantic, natural looking faces.
So.... can anyone help me or am I a complete lost cause here?? My 6 year old even asks me why don't I wear make up like other mommies? lol I apparently look worse than I thought :)

I feel you on the acne and I use a face rinse I found at ulta that i just apply and don't need to wash off in the morning and night. I would go to a sephora and see about makeup forever hd foundation, it's a good foundation that covers imperfections. for neutral shades look into Sonia that sells at target she has a good neutral palette.

I feel you on the acne and I use a face rinse I found at ulta that i just apply and don't need to wash off in the morning and night. I would go to a sephora and see about makeup forever hd foundation, it's a good foundation that covers imperfections. for neutral shades look into Sonia that sells at target she has a good neutral palette.

What is the name of the face rinse? I use Vichy that I got at Ulta but the best ones have salisalic acid in them.

Foot care.....I got an Emjoy callus remover on QVC. Idid nto have high hopes but it was 27.00 so I figured with what I spend on make up that was not a lot. OMG I LOVE IT! It removes all the dead skin on my feet and then I put on foot creame and they are like baby feet. Well almost! This is just a battery powered dry skin remover but honestly it is well worth it. A million times better than the pedi egg and better than even the Ansr Sole which was 3 times more money!

Are you still having problems with acne? I still use retin-A and many other things. Happy to tell you what I use. If you like a very natural look, you could start with clinique. The previous poster had a good recommendation on Makeup Forever HD. I don't like to look over made up either so I tend to avoid letting the make up counter people make decisions for me. I've had good luck at Clinique though. They seem to understand "I'm a mom, not a lady of the night." :rotfl:

Also, I can't speak highly enough about the clarisonic mia. It has made a HUGE difference for me.

Foot care.....I got an Emjoy callus remover on QVC. Idid nto have high hopes but it was 27.00 so I figured with what I spend on make up that was not a lot. OMG I LOVE IT! It removes all the dead skin on my feet and then I put on foot creame and they are like baby feet. Well almost! This is just a battery powered dry skin remover but honestly it is well worth it. A million times better than the pedi egg and better than even the Ansr Sole which was 3 times more money!

I got it last summer and flippin love it!!

I picked up a sample of the Smashbox CC cream at Sephora this week. Day 2 and it definitely color corrects. Unfortunately it takes a LOT of product to cover my face. It's thick compared to my usual foundation. I also found on the 2nd day it did better when I put moisturizer under it. There isn't enough moisture in the cc cream for me.

Also - I'm looking for suggestions for a product for eyelids. My eyelids are always dry. I am very sensitive to eye shadow but I can wear clinique. I was thinking of trying the Clinique all about eyes. Any other suggestions?

Thank y'all so much! I'm so ridiculously hopeless in this area. I'll go to the store with my next paycheck. This paycheck is a girls day for me and my 6 year old. Manis and pedis. :)

Usually I don't wear much make-up.Daily I wear some eyeliner and mascara, with some eye shadow and lipstick if I'm going out.
I'm thinking about replacing my Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion with a BB or CC creme.
I'm wondering if I have to use blush with it? Or if I will look kind of pale without blush. What kind of blush could I use if needed? I would like to look kind of natural.

Usually I don't wear much make-up.Daily I wear some eyeliner and mascara, with some eye shadow and lipstick if I'm going out.
I'm thinking about replacing my Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion with a BB or CC creme.
I'm wondering if I have to use blush with it? Or if I will look kind of pale without blush. What kind of blush could I use if needed? I would like to look kind of natural.

Hi -- I don't post here as often as I should but I do get some good tips so I wanted to make some suggestions for you : ) BB Creams can usually fall under the category of light coverage foundation so without a blush or bronzer, you may look washed out. Since the warm weather is here (at least in NY) you may want to try a cheek stain instead of a blush -- it will last longer. I bought a really nice one from Josie Maran called "Coconut Water Cheek Gelee" for around $22 and so far so good -- very natural looking when applied with a light hand. Tarte also makes some nice ones, but they are a little more expensive -- around $30. I hope that was helpful -- good luck!!

I picked up a sample of the Smashbox CC cream at Sephora this week. Day 2 and it definitely color corrects. Unfortunately it takes a LOT of product to cover my face. It's thick compared to my usual foundation. I also found on the 2nd day it did better when I put moisturizer under it. There isn't enough moisture in the cc cream for me.

Also - I'm looking for suggestions for a product for eyelids. My eyelids are always dry. I am very sensitive to eye shadow but I can wear clinique. I was thinking of trying the Clinique all about eyes. Any other suggestions?

I agree! Smashbox CC was very drying - I felt like I was had crevices in my face midway through the day! Took it back and am now sampling Shiseido BB cream. Much better moisturizing-wise and very light! The only drawback is there are only two shades but the medium blends in quite well for me and evens out my hyper-pigmented areas!

My eyes are also very sensitive, I wear contacts, and found I can tolerate Almay eye shadows.

Couple of things.

First, I used Liquid Keratin Bold last year when I went to WDW. My hair was great! My son's gf had hers done in a salon for 300.00 and it did not hold up to the heat. I went to buy some on Folica(having a sale) and found that now they have one that lasts for 60 days and no formaldehyde(sp). I will let you all know how it works but if it is like the 30 formula it is well worth it. I got 3 applications out of the 39.00 bottle well worth it and even better than my friend who also goes to the salon to have the treatments.

Also I posted this in a different thread but since we are all make up junkies I figure that sunglasses would go along with this. I have had many pair of Ray Bans and when they broke I threw them away becuase I did not realize that you can call Ray Ban and they will sell you the lenses for 20.00 and you can take them to Lens Crafters and they will put them in for free(Ray Ban owns Lens Crafters). I am sick to think of all the ones I discarded because I did not know there was anything I could do. Sure they come with a warrenty but I never read it!

Couple of things.

Also I posted this in a different thread but since we are all make up junkies I figure that sunglasses would go along with this. I have had many pair of Ray Bans and when they broke I threw them away becuase I did not realize that you can call Ray Ban and they will sell you the lenses for 20.00 and you can take them to Lens Crafters and they will put them in for free(Ray Ban owns Lens Crafters). I am sick to think of all the ones I discarded because I did not know there was anything I could do. Sure they come with a warrenty but I never read it!

Thanks for this info...just bought DS15 a pair of Ray Bans and he is not very good with taking care of his stuff.

Thanks for this info...just bought DS15 a pair of Ray Bans and he is not very good with taking care of his stuff.

My son's are in their early 20's now, but when they were little I bought them Ray Bans for kids, they were little Wayfarers and were like 9.00 each. I looked to buy some for my great nephew now and they are like 90.00 each! I saved my sons' and so I will give them to him but here too if they break I can replace the lenses.

I'm 41 and the older I get, the oily-er my skin is. I have tried the following brands in an attempt to find something that I don't have to touch up by noon and does not settle into my pores. I am at my wits end! Any recommendations you guys have? Of all the brands I've tried (designer and drug store) I honestly have not seen a fantastic difference with any of them. The more expensive brands have not worked any better than the drug store ones.

Primer Brands I've tried:
Smashbox Photo Ready
Bare Minerals Prime Time Matte
Dermologica
Urban Decay
Mac
Benefit
All drug store brands

Foundation Brands I've tried:
Tarte Amazonian Clay Liquid Foundation & Finishing Powder
Smashbox
Clinique
Benefit
Mac
Estee Lauder
Bare Minerals
All drug store brands

As you can see from the lists, I don't mind paying for a quality product. It's going on my face after all, it should be good. My skin care regimen varies as well. I've tried super expensive and drug store and as long as I do it twice a day, my skin stays relatively clear (I still get black heads on my cheeks :mad: ). I am about to try Proactive-it's been ordered I''m waiting for it to arrive. I have also been using (don't laugh, well okay laugh I wont hear you :) ) Phillips Milk of Magnesia Regular formula as a primer. I read it several times online and decided to try it. It works, okay.

Am I fighting a loosing battle? Should I just accept that I have an oil slick on my face and will have to constantly blot all day long? Or is there some magical make-up out there that I haven't tried yet that will control the puddles of oil that curse my face?

TIA!!!

Well I have skin that is prone to being oily. I use retin-A because I also have problems with acne. Retin-A is very drying and after using it for a while my skin isn't nearly as oily. It's a prescription from my Dr. I think retin-A can be found in many over the counter creams but not as strong. Also, I use a clarisonic with a face wash that has salicylic acid. I also exfoliate twice a week and have microdermabrasions 3 times a year at my dermatologist's office.

http://www.amazon.com/Revision-Brig...3458683&sr=1-1&keywords=brightening+face+wash

That's what works best for me. Hope you find an answer! I know how frustrating it is to be shiny!

My skin care regimen varies as well. I've tried super expensive and drug store and as long as I do it twice a day, my skin stays relatively clear (I still get black heads on my cheeks :mad: ). I am about to try Proactive-it's been ordered I''m waiting for it to arrive. I have also been using (don't laugh, well okay laugh I wont hear you :) ) Phillips Milk of Magnesia Regular formula as a primer. I read it several times online and decided to try it. It works, okay.

Am I fighting a loosing battle? Should I just accept that I have an oil slick on my face and will have to constantly blot all day long? Or is there some magical make-up out there that I haven't tried yet that will control the puddles of oil that curse my face?

TIA!!!

I highly recommend Clarisonic brush for cleaning, it has made such a difference on my large pores and black heads. :thumbsup2

I'm 41 and the older I get, the oily-er my skin is. I have tried the following brands in an attempt to find something that I don't have to touch up by noon and does not settle into my pores. I am at my wits end! Any recommendations you guys have? Of all the brands I've tried (designer and drug store) I honestly have not seen a fantastic difference with any of them. The more expensive brands have not worked any better than the drug store ones.

Primer Brands I've tried:
Smashbox Photo Ready
Bare Minerals Prime Time Matte
Dermologica
Urban Decay
Mac
Benefit
All drug store brands

Foundation Brands I've tried:
Tarte Amazonian Clay Liquid Foundation & Finishing Powder
Smashbox
Clinique
Benefit
Mac
Estee Lauder
Bare Minerals
All drug store brands

As you can see from the lists, I don't mind paying for a quality product. It's going on my face after all, it should be good. My skin care regimen varies as well. I've tried super expensive and drug store and as long as I do it twice a day, my skin stays relatively clear (I still get black heads on my cheeks :mad: ). I am about to try Proactive-it's been ordered I''m waiting for it to arrive. I have also been using (don't laugh, well okay laugh I wont hear you :) ) Phillips Milk of Magnesia Regular formula as a primer. I read it several times online and decided to try it. It works, okay.

TIA!!!

Look into chanel hydra beauty serum and a trick someone taught me is you don't need to use a lot of it especially with oily skin, just very minimal.

For powder and such look into amazing cosmetics, they are mineral based but it's completely different then bare minerals with how it looks on your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter