The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mlill said:
Janet2k: Thanks so much for the Grand 1 info! That cake looked awesome! I'm still thinking about getting some champange for us and hot chocolate for the kids. I might get a custom cake made or have a cookie tray made up for them, too.

We're going to have dinner at Victoria & Albert's during our December stay at the GF...

Mlill, you're welcome. The cake was delicious and I really wish I would have had a second piece of it.

When you're ready to place the food/beverage order for your cruise, please give Private Dining a call at least a few days in advance. They have lots of "stock" items to offer, however, they can also tailor just anything to suit your needs, have no fear. I've never been disappointed with anything that Private Dining has done for me. (Please note that if you're going to go the custom cake route, you should probably contact Private Dining at least a week or two in advance so that your order can get on the bakery's schedule.)

I'm glad you brought up Victoria & Albert's. I have forgotten to share the menu (and a few photos) from when my daughter and I dined there in August. Shame on me. I'll try to do that soon.

I also have photos to share of the private event that I hosted at the Grand Floridian's marina. Once I finish the captions, I'll share a link to the photos here. The Grand Floridian's Convention Services folks did a beautiful job with my event. It was a perfect night spent with wonderful friends in my favorite resort. It just doesn't get any better than that. ;)

Scanne, I know I'm late to the party (since I haven't been on the Dis in over a month), but welcome home! It sounds like you had a lovely vacation. I'm glad to hear that. By the way, do you have any photos to share? (I may have missed your link -- if you've posted it, please post it again or PM me with it. Thanks.)

Hi Janet2K,

We did have a lovely stay and yes, I do have pictures of the room. I will try to get them posted tonight!

Janet2K,

Thank you for the pictures of room 4401. We stayed in that exact room the day GF officially opened back in 1988. (June 28th, if memory serves)

Your photos bring back such wonderful memories.

Best regards !!!

I'm going to try and do a trip report. Just trying to figure out the whole photobucket stuff and what not. I would love to share!
Debbie

Janet2K: Welcome back...and thank you, thank you for the photo's. We will be in a deluxe room, and it sounds liike it's likely going to be the one just off the lounge, or quite close by. I guess we'll find out soon, because we leave in 12 days!!!

All the details about the wonderful things the private dining/catering folks at the GF have done for you over the years has me wishing we'd been able to set something up. OK, I'll be honest, once I saw a picture of one of those "chocolates in a chocolate box" treats I've been salivating! I had considered planning a special family meal for the last night, then decided it would be lost on our 8 year old twins.

The truth is, I'm trying to pack everything into this trip - this trip is our "dream trip", a wonderful gift from my mother, and who knows when we'll be back?!? Unfortunately, she is not well enough to join us. She recently had breast cancer surgery and starts radiation just after we get back. She's doing well and the prognosis is good.

Once we see how accessible/wheelchair friendly everything is, I suspect we'll be planning ahead to the next trip. The boys are going to LOVE it...and if they're having a marvellous time, so am I!!!

Twinmum

Janet2k said:
MouseHouse4, just thought I'd simply say, "Welcome to the Dis!" I hope you enjoy it here.

Have a wonderful time at the GF this month, and please share photos of your resort stay upon your return. Photos are very helpful for those who are planning upcoming/future stays at the resort. ;)

Hi Janet2k! :wave2: Thanks for the welcome. I should have taken the time to join a lot sooner, everyone is so friendly and helpful. Oh well, better late than never!

I would be happy to share pictures from my upcoming trip when we return. Although, I doubt they will compare to some of the photos posted on here, yours in particular! :)

Debbie6221 said:
I'm going to try and do a trip report.

Debbie6221, welcome home! I look forward to reading your trip report and viewing your vacation photos. When you post your report on the Dis' Trip Reports Board, please remember to post a link to it here so that everyone will know where to go to read it. Thanks!

macrosswife said:
DH and I had dinner at V&A's after a photo shoot on the grounds of the GF with Disney Photography, and I had the salon do an "up-do" for the occassion.

Macrosswife, do you have photos to share of your Disney Photography session? I don't think anyone has shared photos of what they looked like both before and after a hair appointment in the resort's salon. You would be the first one to do so. What do you say? Are you up to the challenge? ;) It would be wonderful information to add to the GF FAQ thread.

scanne said:
I do have pictures of the room. I will try to get them posted tonight!

Scanne, I look forward to viewing your photos. No hurry. (*Impatiently tapping my fingers on the table, waiting for Scanne to post her GF photos.*) ;)

Von Drake said:
Thank you for the pictures of room 4401. We stayed in that exact room the day GF officially opened back in 1988. (June 28th, if memory serves) Your photos bring back such wonderful memories.

Oh, my goodness! A real live person who stayed in the Grand Floridian on opening day? Be still my heart! :love:

Von Drake, I made a post here in the GF FAQ thread back in the beginning of September about a music video that had been filmed on the beach of the resort: click here. From the information that I was able to dig up, it appears that the video had been filmed right around the time of the resort's opening. I know it's a stretch, but since you stayed at the resort at that time, did you hear anything about this music video during your stay? Just curious.

Also, since you are the resort's oldest guest (I don't mean in physical age!), do you have any memories to share of what the resort was like way back then?

For example, I was fortunate to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge when it officially opened up a few years ago. I have fond memories of that stay, including a bizarre phone call on the telephone in the master bathroom of our suite. We call that the "Potty Line" incident. ;) (Since the resort was brand-new, we assumed that the phone system had a couple of kinks in it that needed to be worked out. We reported the incident to Maintenance.)

If you have anything to share along those lines in regards to the Grand Floridian, I would love to hear about them.

twinmum said:
Janet2K: Welcome back...and thank you, thank you for the photo's. We will be in a deluxe room, and it sounds like it's likely going to be the one just off the lounge, or quite close by. I guess we'll find out soon, because we leave in 12 days!!!

All the details about the wonderful things the private dining/catering folks at the GF have done for you over the years has me wishing we'd been able to set something up… I had considered planning a special family meal for the last night, then decided it would be lost on our 8 year old twins.

Once we see how accessible/wheelchair friendly everything is, I suspect we'll be planning ahead to the next trip. The boys are going to LOVE it...and if they're having a marvellous time, so am I!!!

Twinmum, thank you for the warm welcome back. I’m hoping I can stick around a little more frequently (real life has been difficult).

I’m sorry to hear of your mother’s breast cancer. My older sister is a breast cancer survivor, as are many of my friends. I will add your mother to my prayers. And here are some <<HUGS>> for your family.

I’m glad to hear that your trip is quickly approaching. I hope the deluxe room that the resort puts you in is suitable to your family’s needs. I also hope that you will be able to find the time to simply relax and enjoy the beauty of the resort. Over the years I have learned that to make me truly happy, all I need is a swimming pool. Of course if that swimming pool is at the Grand Floridian, I’ve got a lovely backdrop to look at as I float about in the water (I can stare at the resort for hours and never tire of it).

And speaking of swimming pools, I don’t know if your boys swim, but if they do, maybe they’ll enjoy the water slide at the resort’s Beach Pool: click here. My daughter loves the slide, and, believe it or not, during our vacation at the resort this summer, we were able to convince one of my friends to try it out (she was staying at the resort too). But my friend got a nose full of water when she exited the slide into the pool. My advice is to tell your boys to plug their noses on the way down. It makes for a better water experience until they’re used to the slide. ;)

You mentioned a wheelchair in your post. I am assuming that it is for one of your boys (forgive me if my assumption is incorrect). Three years ago I broke my leg. I actually broke my foot completely off my leg (I think it happened while I was stupidly setting my own leg as I awaited the paramedics – do not attempt this at home!). Because of the severity of my injury, I had surgery to repair my leg. The hardware that was placed inside my leg remains there to this day (I like to call it my "bionic" leg).

While I was healing, I was confined to a wheelchair for a few months. I almost cancelled my WDW trip because I didn’t want my disability to hamper my family’s vacation fun. But one of my friends here on the Dis outted me on the disABILITIES! Board. Through the kindness of the folks there, I found the courage to go through with my vacation plans. My family went on to have the time of our lives. I will forever be grateful to the folks on the Dis website.

I bring this up for a reason (yes, I do have a point!). During that vacation my wheelchair traveled with me. Since I have already stated how important floating in a swimming pool is to me, I had to learn how to enter the resort’s two pools as a disabled person. I had never done that before and wasn’t sure how to do it. Since I had been unable to find photos of the pools' handicap entrances or the resort’s water wheelchair, I made a point of taking photos of those things during my vacation. I wanted to be able to share them with others in the future.

If you click on the link that I’m going to give below, you’ll see those photos. They’re not the greatest, but that was back in the day when I didn’t share photos of my family’s faces. (The girl with the "blanked out" face is my daughter.) Because of my desire for privacy, it limited the photos that I took. I apologize for that. Here’s the link to my photo album: click here.

Even though it sounds like you are very familiar with dealing with disabilities, I thought I would share those photos simply to give you an idea of how the resort’s two swimming pools are set up, and also an idea of what the resort’s water wheelchair looks like. I hope it helps.

Now in regards to Private Dining, don’t forget that you can use them when you’re sitting out by the pool. Or sitting out by the marina. Or sitting in the lounge. Simply pick up the phone and press the Private Dining button. They normally will deliver your meal within 45 minutes (that’s been my recent experiences with them, give or take 15 minutes). Ask them to bring a tablecloth in order to make the meal more personal (they normally do that, but it never hurts to ask for it in advance). I remember one vacation when my son ordered popcorn and soft drinks. He got the biggest kick out of watching Private Dining place a tablecloth (and a flower) on the table in our resort room. It’s amazing what little touches make for big impacts with the kids (and with the adults, too).

Anyhow, just thought I’d mention that. Private Dining doesn’t have to be a big to-do in order to make magical vacation memories. I know that I’ll cherish the memories of my son’s popcorn delivery always.

Have a wonderful vacation, Twinmum.

MouseHouse4 said:
I should have taken the time to join a lot sooner, everyone is so friendly and helpful. Oh well, better late than never! I would be happy to share pictures from my upcoming trip when we return.

MouseHouse4, I agree. Better late than never! I can't remember how long it was before I joined the Dis. Maybe a few weeks? Maybe a few months? Who knows anymore. But once I got up my nerve, I didn't regret it. The Dis is a wonderful Internet community and I have met wonderful people through it.

I look forward to viewing your photos. The GF FAQ thread can never have too many photos of the resort. After all, lots of us are living vicariously through those of you who are vacationing there!

As promised, here are some pictures from our GF stay (9/30 - 10/2/06).

Here are DS4 and DD2 outside of our building.
IMG_3611.jpg

This is the inside of our room - 8511 in Boca Chica.
IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

The vanity (which pretty much looks the same in all the GF rooms).
IMG_3570.jpg

Our view - a lagoon view but not a castle view (much to my disappointment). But we could see Spaceship Earth quite far off in the distance!
CIMG1289.jpg

CIMG1288.jpg

CIMG1287.jpg

I'll post some exterior resort shots later.

Hope you have enjoyed these!

I wouldn't let my kids out on the balcony for that reason. It was gross, but when we stayed in Conch Key in 2001, there was even MORE bird poo than that! I guess mousekeeping doesn't go out on the balconies much.

scanne said:
I wouldn't let my kids out on the balcony for that reason. It was gross, but when we stayed in Conch Key in 2001, there was even MORE bird poo than that! I guess mousekeeping doesn't go out on the balconies much.

for what people pay to stay at the GF that shouldnt be an issue
if thats on my balcony when i go i will be calling mousekeeping

scanne, your children are beautiful. :sunny:

It is fun to see pictures of them after seeing posts of yours over the years as you planned trips with them when you were pregnant, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter