The nutters in CA who chained up 13 kids...

I also had the impression the father was currently unemployed. :confused3 I don't know where that came from. I wonder if he had a typical 9-5 or if he worked remotely from home most of the time on odd hours.

Regarding the son who attended college classes, it doesn't surprise me that he maintained good grades. I doubt he'd be "allowed" to do any less. As to why he was given the privilege to attend classes, who knows, but I think there are a couple of things that are important to remember when we talk about abuse situations.
  • For one thing, abusers don't abuse all of the time. We hear the reports of shackling and starvation and it's easy to picture that was happening to all of the children all of the time, but that's probably not the case. Interspersed with abuse are times of quiet and maybe even times of fun. After all, sometimes the abuser wants to do things like take trips to Vegas and Disney. Doing something nice for their victims no doubt helps them justify the abusive things they do. But also, the "nice" things are a powerful tool in the psychological torment of a victim. The abuser can use rewards and promises to build loyalty, string the victim along, get their hopes up so they can crush them.... There's a lot of mind games involved.
  • Abusers are skilled in putting on a public face and appearing (relatively) normal. If they weren't, cases like this couldn't exist because the abusers would be found out and reported right away.
  • While there's no doubt that every single one of these children were abused in the worst ways, there was likely some variation in how they were treated. Some may have been a bit more favored by the parents, some may have been treated particularly awful by comparison to the rest, and some may have been used to enforce "punishments" against their siblings. Pitting the kids against each other is common. These children were tortured, no doubt, but speaking to abuse situations more broadly, it's not uncommon for siblings to come out of the same environment having had vastly different experiences and, as a result, having vastly different opinions about their upbringings. So here we see a well-fed two year old and one child who took college courses while three others were shackled to the furniture and one looks to have both cognitive and physical disabilities on video, possibly indicating that he's suffered more than the rest. :sad:
It's all very heartbreaking. :(

I just saw that none of the family wanted the kids how sad. so the olders will be going to group homes and the younger one to foster care. My prayer is at some point is that the older kids will be able to get enough maturity and enough wisdom and have enough financial asssets to be have the little ones eventually.

I just saw that none of the family wanted the kids how sad. so the olders will be going to group homes and the younger one to foster care. My prayer is at some point is that the older kids will be able to get enough maturity and enough wisdom and have enough financial asssets to be have the little ones eventually.

While maturity and wisdom can be gained, I'm concerned about their ability to become financially independent. Assuming that the didn't really receive an education while home schooled the adults most likely do not have high school diplomas or GEDs. What kind of employment potential do they have that will allow them to move forward and become financially self-sufficient? Minimum wage jobs will not provide for that California where they currently reside.

While maturity and wisdom can be gained, I'm concerned about their ability to become financially independent. Assuming that the didn't really receive an education while home schooled the adults most likely do not have high school diplomas or GEDs. What kind of employment potential do they have that will allow them to move forward and become financially self-sufficient? Minimum wage jobs will not provide for that California where they currently reside.

I agree. The thought of the older ones being in either a financial or emotional position to be guardians of the younger ones seems to not be too realistic in my opinion. Personally, I also feel that while the siblings should be allowed to see each other, I think part of their healing is going to be being exposed to people that care enough about them to educate them about how the world works and to slowly and appropriately broaden their circle of contacts.

I am afraid that all they know now is the dysfunctional way they were raised and that cycle needs to be broken.

I know there have several have been numerous funding sites set up for the kids that have raised lots of money so far. Which will help them for a long time if it is used right. I hope the older kids have a good conservators

I think part of their healing is going to be being exposed to people that care enough about them to educate them about how the world works and to slowly and appropriately broaden their circle of contacts.

A spokesperson at the hospital taking care of them said that the doctors & nurses have mostly been spending a lot of time teaching them basic skills, such as how to handle money.

A spokesperson at the hospital taking care of them said that the doctors & nurses have mostly been spending a lot of time teaching them basic skills, such as how to handle money.

That's one skill that they will need. Yet it still will be a shocker once they are out in the world as things will inevitably cost more than they can fathom. Plus it's back to needing to learn how to earn and manage money.

Going out on a limb here, would they qualify for social services (financial) due to what they have gone through. Sort of a disability?

I know there have several have been numerous funding sites set up for the kids that have raised lots of money so far. Which will help them for a long time if it is used right. I hope the older kids have a good conservators

I read that they are fake, that there is only one legit one. I think it was set up by the hospital, but I really don't remember.

I wonder if they let the older son attend college to prepare him to take over providing for the family.

I don't think the older kids will be ready to take over the kids next week but it's a goal I'd like to see them work toward if that;s they want to do.

Ranger, I am assuming that, because of their circumstance, these kids have severe developmental delays. And, they could also qualify for psychological disabilities.
I do not think that they are going to be just turned out on their own.

That's what one would hope, but once the spotlight is turned off of them who knows what will happen. After all we do live in a society where people don't always receive the care that they need.

SICKENING!:furious:SO TRAGIC!>:( There are so many couples who can't conceive who would just give their right arm to just have one child. Let God bless these children as they will presumably face a long road of psychological recovery. :hug:

According to the transcript on the video (at about 1:07) the oldest son in college had other classes including Intermediate and College Algebra, Public Speaking, English Fund, Freshman Composition, Basic Auto mechanics, Auto Brake Systems, Engine Performance I, as well as music related classes (Guitar I, II, and Ensemble etc) http://abc7.com/perris-torture-case-eldest-son-maintained-393-gpa/2978384/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter