The nutters in CA who chained up 13 kids...

I wonder about the DA filing the restraining order to keep the parents from contacting others who may be involved in the case. To me that sounds like perhaps grandparents, etc might be under suspicion

I would be curious to know if the language used by the DA in the motion to the court actually states "may be involved in the case". If so that's staggering, and I pray it's not a serious overreach.

This is the first time I've commented on this thread, but I found the news story above so interesting. I've been a college professor for 16 years now and I've had two moms who did exactly what was described in the story - drive their children to college, wait outside the classroom while they took their class, and then drive them home. Both of the students were male and both of them were extremely emotionally stunted. One of them was a major in my department, and as soon as he started talking about graduate school the parents pulled him out and moved out of the US. So strange that she exhibited the same behavior.

This is the first time I've commented on this thread, but I found the news story above so interesting. I've been a college professor for 16 years now and I've had two moms who did exactly what was described in the story - drive their children to college, wait outside the classroom while they took their class, and then drive them home. Both of the students were male and both of them were extremely emotionally stunted. One of them was a major in my department, and as soon as he started talking about graduate school the parents pulled him out and moved out of the US. So strange that she exhibited the same behavior.

I thought that her behavior there was odd. Having working in higher education I have seen plenty of helicopter parents. Including those who can't let their college age kids go away to school, so they follow them to campus with a complete relocation to the area.

I was a bit surprised by his 3.93 GPA and wonder what the courses were? I believe one article said art, but not sure if that's what all of the courses were in.

Of course it happens.

For grandparents to not notice 13 children being abused and starved (some of whom were adults and should have gone through puperty but do not appear to) is a little hard for me to swallow. I do not give these grandparents the benefit of the doubt.

I agree if the grandparents saw them all the time. Do we know how often they saw the kids or if they saw them. They may have only talked to the kids on the phone.

I just watched a documentary called The Family, which bears some similarities to this case. The fact that these types of things can go on for decades, either without investigations at all or with minor investigations that lead nowhere, is astounding. The children from The Family clearly still have issues after all these years but some are adjusting better than others. There is hope for these kids to become productive members of society.

I agree if the grandparents saw them all the time. Do we know how often they saw the kids or if they saw them. They may have only talked to the kids on the phone.

My stumbling point for the grandparents is they knew there were multiple children over the age of 18, even 20. There are several in their latter twenties. They weren't pressing for answers why none of them had jobs, moved out, went to college, were dating?

The same grandparents are quick to trumpet about their tremendous politeness and extremely good behavior, their very rigorous Biblical training, what an incredible job has been done parenting them and the manner in which they were walked through Disney for protection -- despite the fact that teens are beyond the age of needing to be walked in a line when out in public? Nope, the words out of their own mouths belie their deniability in my eyes.

My stumbling point for the grandparents is they knew there were multiple children over the age of 18, even 20. There are several in their latter twenties. They weren't pressing for answers why none of them had jobs, moved out, went to college, were dating?

The same grandparents are quick to trumpet about their tremendous politeness and extremely good behavior, their very rigorous Biblical training, what an incredible job has been done parenting them and the manner in which they were walked through Disney for protection -- despite the fact that teens are beyond the age of needing to be walked in a line when out in public? Nope, the words out of their own mouths belie their deniability in my eyes.
Exactly why I don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

They have not seen them in a few years, but they did see them when the abuse/ living conditions were already an issue. At least one trip they spent 5 days staying in their home and also went to Disney with them.

It’s possible that they didn’t know the extent of the current abuse, but there is absolutely no way they weren’t aware that there were serious issues.

I know a lot of people keep thinking grandparents/aunts/uncles had to know, but honestly that may not be the case. How many of us have had someone close to us go through something and we had no clue. It does happen.

Yes, it does happen. But the way, faced with photographs and the other very danming evidence of abuse that all of us can see in the media, the grandparents jumped straight to denying the possiblity, going on about the great religious upbringing, and the grandfather talking about wanting to talk to the kids perosnally to get the "real" story becuase he does not belierve that abuse occurrred---none of that sounds like someone who was just not aware---even someone who still loves their child and can't reconcile that with the horror. It sounds very defensive in a way that is worrisome.

Yes, it does happen. But the way, faced with photographs and the other very danming evidence of abuse that all of us can see in the media, the grandparents jumped straight to denying the possiblity, going on about the great religious upbringing, and the grandfather talking about wanting to talk to the kids perosnally to get the "real" story becuase he does not belierve that abuse occurrred---none of that sounds like someone who was just not aware---even someone who still loves their child and can't reconcile that with the horror. It sounds very defensive in a way that is worrisome.

His comment does reveal his priority, which is not the children. That is unacceptable.

I wonder about the DA filing the restraining order to keep the parents from contacting others who may be involved in the case. To me that sounds like perhaps grandparents, etc might be under suspicion
To me it sounds much more local and the restraining order is to keep the parents from contacting the children. Could be a stopgap until the local family court meets for this case.

To me it sounds much more local and the restraining order is to keep the parents from contacting the children. Could be a stopgap until the local family court meets for this case.
that makes sense now that you say it---given that several of the "children" are adults-----they would probably still be easily manipulated by their parents after years of conditioning

Family court would already have had an emergency hearing according to statute. The children were removed from the custody of their parents and there would have already been a probable cause hearing at which the court would have reviewed preliminary evidence in the case and decided whether or not it was appropriate to take wardship.

There may be an additional matter taking place regarding a limited guardianship of the adult children given that they may have serious medical needs at this point.

The California parents who allegedly tortured and held their 13 children captive were preparing to move "within days" of when the couple’s 17-year-old daughter escaped and alerted authorities, multiple sources told ABC News exclusively.

David Turpin, 57, was getting a job transfer from California to Oklahoma with the defense contractor Northrop Grumann, the sources said, and as a result, the family was preparing to move "within days" of Jan. 14, when the 17-year-old clambered out of a window and used a deactivated cellphone to dial 911 for help, according to police. Authorities quickly came to the house, ultimately arresting the parents and taking all 13 siblings into state custody.

I just watched a documentary called The Family, which bears some similarities to this case. The fact that these types of things can go on for decades, either without investigations at all or with minor investigations that lead nowhere, is astounding. The children from The Family clearly still have issues after all these years but some are adjusting better than others. There is hope for these kids to become productive members of society.

DH and I watched a show about them about a month ago and they were exactly who I thought of when I saw the news about the Turpins.

Family court would already have had an emergency hearing according to statute. The children were removed from the custody of their parents and there would have already been a probable cause hearing at which the court would have reviewed preliminary evidence in the case and decided whether or not it was appropriate to take wardship.

There may be an additional matter taking place regarding a limited guardianship of the adult children given that they may have serious medical needs at this point.

So in CA, the family court, settles all matters regarding contact, custody, and visitation in one emergency hearing regarding minor children and this can be accomplished in a bit over a week?
Admirable! Other states' court personnel should visit and see how this is accomplished.

The California parents who allegedly tortured and held their 13 children captive were preparing to move "within days" of when the couple’s 17-year-old daughter escaped and alerted authorities, multiple sources told ABC News exclusively.

David Turpin, 57, was getting a job transfer from California to Oklahoma with the defense contractor Northrop Grumann, the sources said, and as a result, the family was preparing to move "within days" of Jan. 14, when the 17-year-old clambered out of a window and used a deactivated cellphone to dial 911 for help, according to police. Authorities quickly came to the house, ultimately arresting the parents and taking all 13 siblings into state custody.

So he was actively working for Northrop Grumman? We haven't heard from coworkers or others. I'd be curious to hear from them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter