The Official Cake Thread - Photo Gallery & Cake Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lurkyloo told me to post this.

disney2009137.jpg

Here is the cake we had for our son from AKL at Boma for his birthday a month ago. I believe it was $48.00 total. It was ALL chocolate. You could choose not to have that as the cake, but we love chocolate. Even the face is white chocolate that is hand painted. They said that it would feed 8, but it really could have easily fed 14-16. And it was YUMMY!

Hi all! We were at Disney last week for my birthday. My fiance had ordered a cake to be delivered to Ohana. We both were dissapointed in the whole thing. First. The people at Ohana forgot about the cake so my fiance actually had to ask totally ruining the surprise. Also. He was incredibly limited to what he could do. He asked for white cake, raspberry filling and buttercream frosting. They said they could only do chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse or buttercream as fillings. He agreed to buttercream filling. For $45 dollars and at a place where they make wedding cakes of all kinds...I find it hard to believe that they couldnt do a simple filling.
The cake was cute:
P1020557.jpg

But I guess they gave him a ton of hassle for ordering a custom cake with Rafiki. They kept telling him about the premade podium cakes pushing and pushing them on him. He called a few different cast members. Overall I was confused. How could LurkyLoo get that AWESOME anniversary cake but my fiance couldnt get raspberry filling and a printed image? The cake overall was not the buttercream we were expecting. It was so cold it was almost frozen and therefore the cake had a weird texture.

Very weird. And the worst part is that my fiance was devestated. He wanted this to be one of the best birthday surprises, had to ruin it by asking about it in front of me and then it was kinda yucky. :sad2: So I think for our September trip I am going to call every day until I can get the perfect cake for HIM as a surprise to make up for it.
:)

Either way:

10 inch
White cake, buttercream filling, buttercream frosting
Rafiki image
$45 dollars

I was at WDW over the weekend and decided to investigate the on-property options for picking up a cake (for those who don’t want to order a cake for a restaurant meal using the Cake Hotline or for their hotel room using Private Dining at their resort). Most of this info has been mentioned on this thread before, but I thought I’d put it all together in one post (also, I scored a copy of BoardWalk Bakery’s cake order sheet, so I’ll post that below!)

In a nutshell, only the BoardWalk Bakery offers fancy cakes for pickup, and those must be ordered 48 hours in advance. (The cakes on display at the bottom of the case are not for sale.)

The Main Street Bakery in the Magic Kingdom offers only 6-inch Sara Lee cakes for pickup, and I was told you need to give them a few hours’ notice so they can defrost the cake for you. They also have simple pre-made cakes at some of the resort food courts. The only one I investigated was Pop Century’s, so I’ll put that info below.

BoardWalk Bakery
There are no readymade cakes for sale here except the frozen 6-inch ones you can also get at restaurant podiums, but with 48 hours’ notice you can arrange to pick up a fresh cake. I’ll post their cake ordering form below, but the basic options are

6-inch readymade cake (frozen cake) - $21+ tax
  • serves 4-6
  • no special decorations
  • Vanilla Cake/Vanilla Buttercream only
  • no advance notice

6-inch fresh cake - $21+tax
  • serves 4-6
  • no special decorations
  • Vanilla Cake/Vanilla Buttercream OR Chocolate Cake/Chocolate Buttercream
  • 48-hour notice required

8-inch fresh cake - $32+tax
  • serves 8
  • no special decorations
  • Vanilla/White Chocolate Filling/White Chocolate Icing OR Chocolate/Dark Chocolate Filling/Dark Chocolate Icing

Mickey head cake - 48+tax
  • serves 8 (chepic reports it may serve 14-16!)
  • no special decorations
  • Vanilla Cake or Chocolate Cake

Special Cakes
  • prices vary
  • special decorations are extra

10-inch, serves 16: $45 for cake + $30 for decorations

1/4 sheet, serves 20: $55 for cake + $35 for decorations

1/2 sheet, serves 40: $80 for cake + $40 for decorations

Full sheet, serves 80: $120 for cake + $55 for decorations

Cake Flavors
Chocolate
Vanilla
Marble

Filling Flavors
Buttercream
White Chocolate Mousse
Dark Chocolate Mousse
Fruit Mousse

Icing
White Buttercream
Chocolate Buttercream
Whipped Cream

Order Form:
BoardWalkBakeryCakeOrderForm-1.jpg

They had a Mickey head cake and a princess-themed cake on display at the bottom of the case.

155.jpg

156.jpg

And they appeared to be working on a custom cake that day.

IMG_1390.jpg

Main Street Bakery at the Magic Kingdom
The only cakes available for pickup here are the 6-inch frozen Sara Lee cakes that you can order at the podium at any MK restaurant. They cost $21 + tax and require a few hours’ notice if you want them defrosted first. Here’s a picture of the frozen cake we got at the podium at Tony’s Town Square (plus some Halloween sprinkles). If you like supermarket cake, you will like the Sara Lee cakes.

IMG_7903.jpg

Value Resort Food Courts
The only place I investigated was Pop Century, but I would imagine the All-Stars have similar offerings. There were two kinds of 6-inch cake in the refrigerated case near the bottled drinks: Vanilla Cake w/ Vanilla Buttercream and Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttercream. These also appear to be Sara Lee cakes. The price is $21 + tax.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Just back from our anniversary trip. Here are the pics of the cake I ordered for our dinner at Narcoossee's. Let me just say it far exceeded my expectations. The pics really don't do it justice. The bakery took it upon themselves to make the gorgeous sugar roses in the middle. You can't see it well in the pics, but they were covered in sparkles. It also tasted fantastic. I was not however prepared for how big it would be. I knew going into it I had to order a 10" to get what I wanted, but it's hard to imagine it until you see it in person. We shared it with friends the next day & had some in the room, but still had 1/2 a cake left. We gave it to bell services when we checked out. Just an FYI if you're ordering a 10" cake & you plan to take the leftovers with you you'll need a full sized refrigerator to store it. Also it was not on my dinner bill. Pat asked me for my credit card when she took the order & said it would be charged the day of. Maybe they've changed their policy & no longer add it to the bill. Too bad because I would have saved 20% with my TIW card. Oh well still worth it!

Here's what I ordered:

Date: 5/4/09
10" chocolate cake with amaretto mousse filling & white buttercream - $45
White swags, sugar roses & red mickeys - $30
6 strawberries - $15.00
Total - $90.00

dsc_0102.jpg

dsc_0103.jpg

dsc_0109.jpg

dsc_0106.jpg

dsc_0107.jpg

Okay here's how ours turned out. We were delighted!!!!:goodvibes

To recap - I ordered this custom cake with Pat at the GF -

Flavour: Marble cake with chocolate mousse filling
Theme: Toy Story
Cost: $75 + tax.

DSC00683-1.jpg

We had the chocolate slipper dessert at CRT at the end of April. We were served the the dark chocolate version even though when I ordered it the cake hotline said the slipper would be white chocolate. I thought it was yummy and worth the money--$12.50 plus tax and tip.

slipper1-1.jpg

Just wanted to show you all the awesome cake that I got for my DD 5th b-day while dining at 1900 Park Fare. I had ordered it a few days before and did not really know what to expect. I wanted something Hannah Montanna and when I called the cake hotline they said it would be a 10 inch with silk screen of Hannah Montana and they could include "Happy Birthday Grace". I really thought it would just be an ordinary cake with regular frosting and the picture but it was so much more! Covered in White Chocolate Fondant and the picture was on white chocolate with chocolate shavings all aroud. It really was awesome... no too bad for $47.00 either!

255.jpg

257.jpg

When: May 5, 2009
Where: Rose & Crown, Epcot
How Much: $45

P5050319.jpg
P5050320.jpg

I received my Plan B cake at Rose & Crown. I believe it was made at the R&C itself.

I was supposed to receive a call from the cake hotline if I wasn't going to get Plan A (cake with strawberries on top), but I did not, which was no big deal. However, if you say, you are going to call, then call.

It was there for our 6:40pm ADR and it was very pretty. Plan B cake was Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) on it, but with the standard vanilla custard/vanilla buttercream with "Happy 15th Birthday Jenna". There was no other options.

In my particular case, the 15 yr old and the 35 year old both had meltdowns (weren't hungry, whining, etc), so I canceled the ADR and had the cake boxed up and we ate it in the American Ampitheater after Illuminations.

IMHO, totally not worth it. It was good and the chef seemed impressed with it, when she rang up the cake. The desserts that they have probably would have sufficed. I think the 'fancier' type cakes are for resort dining.

We are heading down in a few weeks for our 25th anniversary. Has anyone ordered a smallish two tier cake from on property? I don't want the 4" micro cake. But, does anyone know if they would do an 8" and 6" as a two tier? I am just trying to get an idea before I call the cake hotline. We want it with just buttercream frosting, not fondant. And nothing too extravagant for decorations. Figured maybe some Mickey icons and some flowers. Our wedding was in lavender so DW wants that, and silver since it is our 25th. Will be interesting to see what they say and if we can keep it around $100 or if the two tiers takes it way up from there.

Just to clarify - you don't want the mini 2-tier cake that can fit on a salad plate, you want a full-sized cake that's a 6-inch layer on top and an 8-inch layer on the bottom? I believe the standard (pictured below) for a 2-tier is 6-inch on top and 10-inch on the bottom (where's CakeManBri when you need him?) but maybe it's only 8 inches....

photo-23.jpg

The cake in the picture is the one that's included in Disney's package wedding, and they value it at around $200. (Which is not to say that's how much it actually costs! :cutie:)

Most people who do anniversary cakes at Disney get a 6-inch round (like the top layer of the one pictured), and that usually runs $55-$85 (more with fancy decorations). So a two-tier could be considerably more than $100.

The BoardWalk Bakery seems to be the most accomodating lately, so you may want to chat with them (just call BoardWalk Inn and ask to be transferred). Alternatively, you can work with the Grand Floridian or Yacht & Beach Club bakeries through Private Dining at those resorts.

Price: $75
Date Received: 05/10/09

This was Chocolate Cake filled with red rasberry mouuse and fresh red rasberries, icing was dark chocolate ganache and chocolate shavings. 4 white chocolate strawberries in front of the cake, a white chocolate slipper and red sugar roses sat on top of the cake. The sugar roses had a sparkle dust on them which was a great touch and just how I always order real roses for my mom.

DisneyWorld2009035.jpg

DisneyWorld2009037.jpg

DisneyWorld2009036.jpg

Not only was this cake amazing looking, but it tasted great too. The pictures just do not do it justice. A big Thank you to Pat and Christina they did a wonderful job designing the cake just as I pictured it. It was really worth all the calls and time it took to make this cake look just like I described it to them.

I thought the Mickey Head cake was covered with ganache but maybe it's just regular chocolate icing. :confused3

About the Mickey head cake - it's covered with dark chocolate ganache and chocolate shavings. - I forgot to take a photo before we dug in.

DisneyVacation-May2009018-1.jpg

Here's what it looks like on the inside minus his right ear in case you're interested. We chose vanilla cake & vanilla icing - and it offset the chocolate ganache perfectly. It was delicious!!

DisneyVacation-May2009019-1.jpg

I was very worried about ordering a cake this trip because last year the cake we ordered was horrible. But this one was GREAT.

Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Buttercream Icing
White chocolate filling
White chocolate Mickey topper.
Cost $80.00

Sci Fi Restaurant at DHS.
Some of the pictures are kinda dark because it is so dark in Sci-Fi.
DSCF2436.jpg

They hand painted the Mickey.
DSCF2441.jpg

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2437.jpg

The waitress said everyone in the kitchen was so impressed with the cake. She said they had never seen one like it before.

All these cake pictures are making me hungry! Here is a pic of the cake I surprised DH with for our 1-year anniversary.... Got it from Grand Floridian Bakery in 10/08, I believe the price was around $70 and it was all chocolate... boy was it yummy!

I am not sure this is the same thing or not. We ordered for DD three weeks ago from CP. It was a small pound cake with frosting and sprinkles. Not very tasty but for DD it was all in the presentation and that everyone in the park was singing for her. It had a small child's foam mirror, a princess flag and came in a small pink plastic treasure chest. Great for a little girl (don't think I'd get it for myself) - not a tasty treat but does get lots of attention.

100_1517.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

Does anyone know if I can get a Mickey head cake at an Epcot restaurant??? I thought about having DS's birthday at Chef Mickey's but he isn't a real fan of character meals so I'm thinking a restaurant in Epcot since Epcot is his favorite park. :goodvibes

I have not tried - but I do know that unlike the Grand Floridian, the Boardwalk does have a bakery that you can go in and you can purchase cakes at - and when we were there in Oct they did have a Mickey head cake - very small - and very reasonably priced! Personally, I am planning on going there, getting it to go and taking it with us to have our celebration!

WeddingPictures-somedisney006.jpg

This is my birthday cake from last year. (August, 2008)
10" white cake, custard and strawberry filling, whipped cream frosting. Garnished with white chocolate shavings and fresh strawberries.
Ordered from Boardwalk Bakery, delivered to Flying Fish. It was FABULOUS!
They brought it to the table, then took it back to the kitchen to slice it. After that they boxed it, so I do not have pics of the inside of the cake.

We have requested a duplicate cake for my birthday this year, so hopefully it will work out. There was a lot of drama with trying to order last year - thought it was going to send DH over the edge. :sad2:

6808970a.jpg

So here is the birthday cake we got at Citrico's last night. The pictures do not do it justice. The flowers were amazing and edible. Tinkerbell and the flowers had a subtle glitter/shine all over them. The restaurant was great and plated the slices beautifully and boxed up the rest. The Grand bakery is fantastic! It was $140 total. 10 inch Marble cake with custard and strawberries, frosting under green fondant. White chocolate Tinkerbell and purple and green flowers and vines/leaves/butterflies. Everyone LOVED it!

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

here is a picture of our anniversary cake from narcoosee's last year
(09/08). i had ordered a cake with the white chocolate castle and they did all of this and only charged me $30!!! it was a shock and it was beautiful!

cake.jpg

Hey guys!

Fresh back from the world and had an awesome trip. On Thursday night, we ate at the California Grill, and ordered a specialty cake. There was some type of mix-up and they were not able to fill the request. Instead, they far exceeded it, and made up for it by charging the ridiculously low price of $32.00. The cake was a 1/4 sheet, white cake, with fruit mousse filling, butter cream icing, with a chocolate graduate cap and diploma. The fruit was coated with a glaze and gold flecks, and the cake was surrounded with shaved white chocolate. It was great!:banana:

clandoc5803

sorry trying again to get the picture to work from photobucket

wdw2009164.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter