The Running Thread—2023

Just went to put my name in the lottery and got this. Appears Disney has started outsourcing their IT department to other races...
View attachment 738385
Except that once you are in, in the proper order, you get the chance to finish what you started. Plus, the rest of the statement is really clear: Unless you are a non-NYRR time qualifier, there is zero advantage to doing this today. I actually wish Disney IT would be that good 😜 and that an entire group could put their name in the rD lottery together.
1675886789561.png

I have guaranteed entry for NYC, but opted not to claim it today. I‘m saving the queue waiting and website crashing pain for the DL races 😂

I was in the queue, then got out--figuring others needed it more. But I just went back to see how the website traffic was and it told me it was my time. So I entered. Gotta love the questionnaire. Asked how many times I have run NY. My answer is 0.....but their list started at 1. Scroll waaayyy down and find )....between 50 and 51.

Anyway, I'm in. Hope 4th time to try and run this is the charm. (1st time: Hurricane Sandy....nope. 2nd time: COVID....nope. 3rd time: broken bone in foot.....nope)

Also, god love Allianz Insurance--they make no money off me. I've bought and used insurance for this race and once Wineglass (stress fracture).

I was in the queue, then got out--figuring others needed it more. But I just went back to see how the website traffic was and it told me it was my time. So I entered. Gotta love the questionnaire. Asked how many times I have run NY. My answer is 0.....but their list started at 1. Scroll waaayyy down and find )....between 50 and 51.

Anyway, I'm in. Hope 4th time to try and run this is the charm. (1st time: Hurricane Sandy....nope. 2nd time: COVID....nope. 3rd time: broken bone in foot.....nope)

Also, god love Allianz Insurance--they make no money off me. I've bought and used insurance for this race and once Wineglass (stress fracture).
Same here. I was expecting the insurance to be $50 and was pleasantly surprise that it was only $20. Good luck getting to the start line.

Guess I'll get to add a new country to my run list (not that I have one yet)......I got so "FOMO-ed" for the Vermeer exhibit at the Rijksmuseum (glowing, "once in a lifetime" reviews), that I booked a trip to Amsterdam for the end of March. Another new experience: traveling to Europe solo. I didn't blow all my cc points for business class, so will have to settle for economy (small violin playing).

Update: my new photochromic Rx running glasses arrived and passed their first run with flying colors! It was a cloudy, overcast day, so they didn’t really get a fair test against the full-scale assault of the FL sun, but I managed to buy a cheap pair of frames online that aren’t superbly ugly, fit me properly, are incredibly lightweight, and didn’t annoy me once over 6 miles. That’s more than I can say for 90% of any other sunglasses or glasses I’ve worn running lol - being able to see clearly was just the cherry on top! I didn’t pony up the big dollars for the fancy Transitions because I don’t need them to change quickly, since outdoor light conditions don’t change that much in seconds here, and reviews said the fancy ones didn’t get appreciably enough darker to be worth the exorbitant extra cost. I suspect these won’t be as dark as I like for serious summer sun, but I also don’t plan to be running in the brightest light of day - and I’ve got regular, dark-tinted Rx sunglasses for non-running use. (I got the dedicated running ones without bifocals, whereas my regular use ones are bifocals.)

Thanks again to those who chimed in - I’m very glad I got these!

Following up as well here. I went to the Dr today for my elbow. I have both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. Generally speaking not much they can do except rest it. He gave me a wrist brace and said to wear it for a few weeks. I also got Meloxicam for the next 3 weeks. Will see if that helps.
Tip of the cap for being such a multi-sport athlete!

First thing I thought was time to stop playing tennis and golf. Of which I play neither. He did not say anything about stopping running 😊.

however wear the brace does make things difficult. I had to eat lunch with my left hand.
It could be worse. I had a rotator cuff issue in my throwing shoulder a few years back. Ended up having to teach myself how to throw a disc both forehand and backhand with my left arm so I could keep playing Ultimate Frisbee. I'm definitely not wired to be ambidextrous!

Following up as well here. I went to the Dr today for my elbow. I have both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow. Generally speaking not much they can do except rest it. He gave me a wrist brace and said to wear it for a few weeks. I also got Meloxicam for the next 3 weeks. Will see if that helps.
This is what i figured, based on what you described. (I’m not a doctor, I just play one on the Internetz :rotfl: ) I’m glad it’s not something worse, but having experienced it myself, I know how annoying this one is, so I’m sorry for you and hope it gets better quickly! Is your brace the kind that kind of wraps around your thumb? If it is, I found an alternative to it by means of taping with kinesio tape that worked better and was more comfortable for sleeping. It’s been years, but give it a Google if interested and I’m sure it’ll show up somewhere! Hang in there.

Sorry to hear. I find that the most annoying injuries are ones that have nothing to do with my running. Like, how did I get this? I had tennis elbow a while back. I'm convinced it was from trying to be more diligent with strength training.

Hope you heal quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter