The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD Spinoff - Whats you're 2016 mileage while at Disney (on or off grounds, DCL, Castaway Cay, etc)?
Just 14 miles for me. Had a broken foot during our January trip, and only ran 3 days during our April trip because I was still building my mileage at the time.

Assuming I stay healthy, should be a lot more in 2017. Plenty in January during the Dopey, plus 2 other trips planned.

QOTD: Since tomorrow is the last day of the month and I usually do not get the chance to post on the weekends, todays question can be answered now or tomorrow. This will also be the last QOTD for the year, so its a fitting question. What is your monthly mileage for December and for 2016?

2016 Summary:
Swim - 232,364 meters
Bike - 3390 miles
Run - 765 miles

You can easily see where my weakness lies and the emphasis my coach put on it :)

As anyone who reads my training journal may know, I'm a big BYU sports fan. Well yesterday, BYU's legendary former head football coach LaVell Edwards passed away. He won 257 games, all of them at BYU, coached 35 All Americans, 1 Heisman Trophy winner, won 2 national coach of the year awards and the 1984 college football national championship. Suffice it so to say, he was a tremendous football coach and an even better man. So yesterday while remembering his life and the indirect influence he had on me (he was always a hero of mine, especially after I learned more about who he was off the field), I came across an old address he gave at BYU a few months after he retired. In that address he talked about success and shared something that I thought perfectly describes how we can succeed in what we choose to do. It reminds me why I need to go run especially when I don't feel like it for stupid reasons.

"To me, preparation is the key to success in any endeavor. I have often heard the phrase “He [or she] has a great will to win.” What it should say is, “He [or she] has a great will to prepare.” The greatest athletes are not always the fastest, strongest, or most gifted athletically. The greatest players are those who have the ability to recognize their potential and prepare themselves to meet that potential.

On a Saturday afternoon in the filled stadium with the excitement of the band, the cheerleaders, and the crowd, a player can have all the desire or will to win in the world, but it will be for naught if he hasn’t prepared. The same is true in our personal lives. We can have the desire to do something well, . . ., but it will be for naught if we are not willing to work, study, and prepare. Every one of us has the potential to successfully achieve our goals in life, but most goals won’t be realized without effort on our part.
"

LaVell Edwards 1930-2016

Presents: A Boba Fett runDisney shirt from the in-laws, added to the packing for next week! Also a few assorted gels and sports bars in the stocking.

Proud of: Getting back into running full swing and following a training plan more consistently than I ever have. I started running in high school (25+ years ago) and haven't ever gotten away from it for more than a few months, but I've never been great at staying with it for long stretches either. The day I signed up for the Goofy in May, I laced up my shoes and haven't had fewer than 3 running days in any week since then. The improvement in my overall fitness is all the reason I need to keep it going.

Distances:
December - 98 mi
2016 - 550 mi (I had 7.5 from January through May 5; the balance came after)
Disney - 0 miles, ever;

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter