The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: What are you most proud of doing running wise in 2016?

ATTQOTD: I had such high hopes for this year, but for various reason a lot of it did not happen. I think my proudest moment was finishing the WDW Marathon in January. It is truly a race like no other.

When I first saw this question I thought I didn't have much to add considering I haven't been able to run for almost 1/2 the year but I thought more about it and I was wrong. I have three things I am very proud of.

1. I ran the WDW Marathon with a torn tendon and then continued to run for 6 months after that until my surgery. Why am I proud? Because three years ago I was a couch potato who looked for any excuse to quit something. I had an excuse to quit but I didn't.

2. Running a race with my two oldest kids. They are looking forward to more races this year. For me that is a win!

3. I ran the WDW Marathon with my friend Matt, it was his first. He was having a difficult time in life when I met him and I talked him into running a Disney race. He capped out his year of 2015 with this race. He texted me on Christmas day, after reflecting on his year, and thanked me for helping him change his life.

So, while my running year was a major disappointment and I didn't accomplish many of my goals, I did have a few things to be proud of.

MABOOT3316.jpg

Awesome!

I have a question. I don't think I have asked it in here before, if I have then I apologize. I often wonder this. I follow this thread, obviously, and I follow a few runners on Instagram. I listen to podcasts, etc... Boston is almost always everyone's crown jewel for a race. I am from MA so for me I get it but with all the marathon majors out there, as well as many other good races, I often wonder why Boston is THE race for most of the running community.

I'd be open to hearing from anyone on this, but especially those who have run it.

A lot of great answers today! I am very excited for each of yall on what you have been able to accomplish over the last year. Looks like we even got some new people to post as well. To those new folks welcome to the thread. Hope you stick around for next years versions. I would like to think that this thread has played some part of helping each of us in some way to achieving our goals and I hope it continues to do so.

I love this thread. I haven't been here as much but it is always on my mind. I had a few people reach out to me through PM after my surgery when I had disappeared for a bit just to check on me. Where else can you get that from a bunch of "strangers"? Look at all the accomplishments people are posting about. It's so impressive.

QOTD: Since tomorrow is the last day of the month and I usually do not get the chance to post on the weekends, todays question can be answered now or tomorrow. This will also be the last QOTD for the year, so its a fitting question. What is your monthly mileage for December and for 2016?

December = 35.98
2016 = 1158.09
This is the last month I will be putting ZERO! I hope to never have to again. I don't have yearly mileage. I had a mileage goal but that was shot. I can't promise a huge number for January but I will start the road back.

Today's ATTQOTD: December mileage will be 136.75

I'm out of town so I don't have my running book but for the year it's around 750

Yesterday's ATTQOTD: There's so much I'm proud of this year but I think I'm most proud that I started the year scared of running a 10k and finished with 5 half marathons.

You know I am a huge fan of yours and I am so proud of how far you have come. You're killing it and 2017 will be no different.

Just what shows up online, but just about to head out for a run now.

December - 161 miles
2016 - 1788 miles (plus 2941 miles on the bike and 272,000m of swimming)

Aw man, so close! That is a great result on a tough day though. I was just over 2 minutes shy of requalifying so I know how you feel :)

ATTQOTD

*Assuming I get in two more 8 mile runs tonight and tomorrow.

December Running Totals
Completed/Scheduled (%)
Running Mileage - 232.58 miles / 265.75 miles (87.5%)
Running Duration - 33:00:00 / 37:45:14 (87.4%)
Average Pace - 8:31 min/mile
Average HR - 136 bpm

From a % completed of scheduled standpoint, December was probably my worst month. I took a very conservative approach to the winter. We had some crazy cold days (-30F wind chill), I got a mild cold, and I was still being cautious with whatever happened to me injury-wise in October. Overall though, another solid month in preparation for my Sextuple PR Dopey Challenge attempt.

2016 Running Totals
Completed/Scheduled (%)
Running Mileage - 2500.15 miles / 2608.80 miles (95.8%)
Running Duration - 360:05:00 / 370:17:50 (97.2%)
Average Pace - 8:38 min/mile
Average HR - 137 bpm (for reference, my marathon HR is 152 and my 5k HR is 168)
Elevation Gain - 75,962 feet (Everest is 29,029 feet at its peak)
Calories - 298,131
Average Distance per running day - 8.9 miles
Average Duration per running day - 1:17:11

*The scheduled mileage and duration for 2016 was based on summing each scheduled training cycle (Jan-May, May-Oct, Oct-Dec) and was not the planned mileage at the beginning of the year. I was shooting for 2,016 miles.

2016 will likely go down as the most miles I have run in a year for some time. I'm not sure whether I'll ever surpass that again, primarily because I ran too many miles for my current fitness level during the May-October cycle. All things considered, 2016 was a very solid running year for me. The main goal for the year was run lots of good miles. I knew 2016 was not going to be the year of the BQ because my fitness was too far away.

For my career,

2011 - 0 miles
2012 - 335.2 miles
2013 - 780.0 miles
2014 - 1091.7 miles
2015 - 1915.6 miles
2016 - 2500.2 miles

Career - 6622.8 miles

2017 has been circled on my mental calendar for the last 5 years. All these miles have been building to the penultimate goal of qualifying for Boston and running a sub 3 hour marathon. That means 2017 will be the year of "If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it!"

I think Mike and Billy did more miles than I put on my car in 2016. :rolleyes::rolleyes::worship::worship:

I have a question. I don't think I have asked it in here before, if I have then I apologize. I often wonder this. I follow this thread, obviously, and I follow a few runners on Instagram. I listen to podcasts, etc... Boston is almost always everyone's crown jewel for a race. I am from MA so for me I get it but with all the marathon majors out there, as well as many other good races, I often wonder why Boston is THE race for most of the running community.

I'd be open to hearing from anyone on this, but especially those who have run it.

The Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon, and therefore holds that special prestige. The NYC Marathon is actually more difficult to qualify for, but is quite new. The Chicago Marathon doesn't age grade the qualifying times (I think), and has a flat, fast course, while Boston is more challenging. At least I think that's the primary reasons you are looking for!

I intended to go run today but the treadmills in my apartment complex's fitness room weren't working. :confused3 I really need to join an inexpensive gym or something, because I need another option when I can't run outside (I could have today but didn't really feel like it). The whole complex (which is big) has only 2 treadmills, so between never knowing if other people will be down there trying to use them (they're obviously the most popular pieces of equipment) and now not knowing if they'll even be working, I'm over it.

On the positive side, I did at least still do 20 or so minutes on one of the bikes and then a little bit of a Jillian Michaels workout video too. So I did something.

QOTD: What is your monthly mileage for December and for 2016?

December = 20.4 miles (in recovery from hip fracture)
2016 = 215.7

I started running in June. Six months ago I started the C25K and actually thought I was going to die after the first 30 second jog. But 215 miles? That's just...unbelievable.

The only reason I started is for the GSC. I'm still recovering from this hip stress fracture, but I'm up to a few miles, and I'm sure I'll be fine as long as I stick to the run/walk plan a la Jeff Galloway.

When I first saw this question I thought I didn't have much to add considering I haven't been able to run for almost 1/2 the year but I thought more about it and I was wrong. I have three things I am very proud of.

1. I ran the WDW Marathon with a torn tendon and then continued to run for 6 months after that until my surgery. Why am I proud? Because three years ago I was a couch potato who looked for any excuse to quit something. I had an excuse to quit but I didn't.

2. Running a race with my two oldest kids. They are looking forward to more races this year. For me that is a win!

3. I ran the WDW Marathon with my friend Matt, it was his first. He was having a difficult time in life when I met him and I talked him into running a Disney race. He capped out his year of 2015 with this race. He texted me on Christmas day, after reflecting on his year, and thanked me for helping him change his life.

So, while my running year was a major disappointment and I didn't accomplish many of my goals, I did have a few things to be proud of.

Awesome!

I love this thread. I haven't been here as much but it is always on my mind. I had a few people reach out to me through PM after my surgery when I had disappeared for a bit just to check on me. Where else can you get that from a bunch of "strangers"? Look at all the accomplishments people are posting about. It's so impressive.

This is the last month I will be putting ZERO! I hope to never have to again. I don't have yearly mileage. I had a mileage goal but that was shot. I can't promise a huge number for January but I will start the road back.

You know I am a huge fan of yours and I am so proud of how far you have come. You're killing it and 2017 will be no different.

I think Mike and Billy did more miles than I put on my car in 2016. :rolleyes::rolleyes::worship::worship:

so happy knowing that you've tougher out the rehab Scott...2017 has big things waiting for you! It's nice to see that you are starting to realize the reach and impact you and your running has on others...friends, family etc. You aren't on a solo journey here, you have a team of people around you both here on the DIS and in real life.

As for Boston, like Bobby said there is the prestige of being the oldest but the other draw is the need to qualify and that it is age-graded, making it attainable whether you're 18 or 80. One interesting tidbit about Boston is that despite its standing as the world's greatest marathon, it is not eligible for the world record as it is a net downhill course. Kinda crazy as it is regarded as such a tough course.

QOTD: Since tomorrow is the last day of the month and I usually do not get the chance to post on the weekends, todays question can be answered now or tomorrow. This will also be the last QOTD for the year, so its a fitting question. What is your monthly mileage for December and for 2016?

December Training Summary

Total Miles: 89.5 miles (had a few weeks of mini-recovery before the start of my current training cycle)
Total Time: 13:01:33
Average Pace: 8:44/mi
Average HR: 145/min

2016 Training Summary
Total Miles: 1605.2 miles
Total Time: 239:38:35 (just shy of 10 days)
Average Pace: 8:57/mi
Average HR: 143/min

Overall, a great year! I had two minor injuries this year that prevented me from training for a few weeks for each injury, and I missed my fall half marathon A-race due to one of the injuries, but I believe this is likely my highest annual mileage ever, and I achieved a post-40 half marathon PR at the Star Wars Dark Side half marathon. Given that I have been running (or triathlon-ing) for approximately 30 years, I am very happy that I am still able to enjoy this sport and that my body is still holding up.

Heading out now for 12-16 (needed it to warm up an ounce).

December (before today): 204.23
YTD 2016: 1896.36 --I went 2 months with basically no running while injured, so I am satisfied with that.

Disney miles: none this year. I usually get up early and run before we hit the parks (anywhere between 5-8 miles). Many times it is dependent on where we are staying. I like running the Boardwalk/Hollywood Studios area, but love running over at Wilderness Lodge and campgrounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter