• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: We each have medal racks in our office. I keep some medals on my cubicle wall at work as well. None of them are engraved.

ATTQOTD: I run for bling, so I have mine and the bibs displayed in our guest room. The medals in frames are medals from my first ever half marathon and my half marathon PR. I have to add ones for my first marathon and PR, but this picture is from last June so I didn't have them yet.

medal display.jpg

So the weather guys say it may snow/sleet tomorrow afternoon. Schools are closed lol.
The frozen rain/Ice worries me, the snow not so much. Luckily I have 4WD if it gets crazy.

I guess I need to ask my Northern Neighbors how they dress and what temp do they not run in! My "cold weather" gear consists of a long sleeve Under Armour shirt and a pair of heavier capri running tights! Average high January here is in the mid 60s but this last 6 weeks has been crazy and barely out of the 40s with lows in the teens. Snow in December and more tonight when we normally only get snow every 10 years!

I hopefully won't need a winter running wardrobe, but what do you suggest for running attire for temperatures in the mid 30s to upper 40s? Thanks for any help!

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

ATTQOTD: I have my important ones hanging on my wall. The ones that dont have much meaning to me are in a box in our garage. I never had any of the engraved, but would like to get a few of them engraved with my finish time. I will probably have to find a place in town that does that for the existing ones.

DH and I each bought an Allied Medal Hanger (the 36 inch 3 tier variety since we have high aspirations on filling it up :rotfl2:) and EVERY medal means something to us at this point! I also bought a bib holder with plastic sleeves which is mounted beside each medal hanger.

84482119-7EDE-44FF-A992-F2C4856B0DDE.jpeg 26084D8C-6020-41FC-8421-B4BFC54F7785.jpeg

Edited to add pictures.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Mine are hanging in my office on a curtain rod I bought to display them. If I displayed them at home DH and I would be the only ones to ever see them, lol. Plus they are right in my line of sight at work and it is motivation to actually change clothes and go for my runs after work instead of slacking off. :)

ETA: We got 3 inches of snow last night! State offices are closed for "nonessential personnel" but apparently my office is essential as we had to come in. That was a terrifying drive! Nice layer of ice under that snow!

ATTQOTD: My mom made me a shadow box with hooks to display all my medals. It's kind of a hassle to take down and put new ones in though. Anything from 2016 is just hanging on the outside of the box and everything newer is randomly collecting dust elsewhere in the house. I also have all my bibs hanging on a nearby wall and even though that's pretty easy to add to, I haven't kept up with that either. It's starting to take up too much space. I think I might switch to a curtain rod for the medals. I'm not sure about the bibs...I might start tossing non sentimental ones.

ATTQOTD: I’m not much in the way of an interior decorator, so I have two medal racks that are displayed prominently just to have something in my walls. One is a 48.6 rack that displays my first 5 years of Dopey medals and is now retired. I have another rack that has all my other medals. One of the ways I finance Marathon Weekend every year is by not running a huge amount of local races, so I run for free most of the year and usually sprinkle in a half or two. This means my auxiliary rack isn’t filling up super fast. My first Half medal and first Full medal (the 20th anniversary medal) are hanging beneath picture frames with photos from those weekends.

I will be looking for a new option for my next 5 years of Dopey medals before I get the first of them next year. I’m sure I will find somewhere prominent to display it as well.

Last edited:

ATTQOTD: Between the two of us, we have five medals. We bought a cute medal rack at the MCM/10k expo last year, but still haven't put it up, so they're all just sitting in a pile in our home office next to said medal rack. We should probably get on that. I also save all the bibs from our races, and I want to get a giant corkboard to put up in our back hallway for those.

ATTQOTD: So funny we were just talking about our very sad medal display. Mine are in a Kate Spade shopping bag in the corner of our home office. My husband keeps his from the current year on his dresser until the end of the year when he takes his Instagram pic of all that year's medals. Then they go in another shopping bag in that same corner. The first ever challenge weekend we did was the Dolphin (me) and King Neptune (him..no longer offered) at Shamrock in Virginia Beach; he made us really creative displays for our medals. The displays are sitting next to the bags of medals....and this was in March 2015. Whoops. I do think he keeps his belt buckles elsewhere? IDK? I did however make a little frame for him for Christmas with pictures from our Puppy Trot, a bib, and our ribbons; that actually made it onto the wall last week!

I told him my goal this year was to figure out what to do with them. I like the curtain rod idea @Dis5150!

ATTQOTD: They are in a bag in a desk drawer with my bibs. I'd like to get a couple medal hangers, but haven't really looked around yet. I'd like one for Disney bling & one for non-Disney bling. I haven't scrapbooked in about 4 years, but that's my intention for my bibs. I thought a scrapbook of my races would be fun to look back on when I'm 90.

QOTD: What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

All my medals are in the top drawer of my nightstand. I want to display them some way, but I don't think my wife would approve of them on the main living area of the house. If we ever finish the basement/move to a bigger house I will probably put them on display. I've never had any engraved though.

In our previous house, they hung in our closet on a clothes bar (since most of them velcro open). Now they are hanging on these hat hooks in the room that we are staying in with my in laws. I keep telling my husband that we need a medal rack, but he doesn't want to buy me one that says something without my approval, which is smart. Haha. I also have all of our bibs from all of our races. Maybe in our next house I will find a better place to display them all.

If anyone wants to read my race re-cap from this weekend, here it is: https://www.disboards.com/posts/58690450
This includes my awesome cactus costume I ran the half in.

I guess I need to ask my Northern Neighbors how they dress and what temp do they not run in! My "cold weather" gear consists of a long sleeve Under Armour shirt and a pair of heavier capri running tights! Average high January here is in the mid 60s but this last 6 weeks has been crazy and barely out of the 40s with lows in the teens. Snow in December and more tonight when we normally only get snow every 10 years!

I hopefully won't need a winter running wardrobe, but what do you suggest for running attire for temperatures in the mid 30s to upper 40s? Thanks for any help!
So, as a northerner we are use to it being colder so might dress a tad less than you would prefer to and I also run hot which makes a difference too, but I have a wide range of long sleeve shirts (from UA to Walmart quality), a light running jacket (Nike), vests (Old Navy), thicker running jacket (UA), fleece tops, longer thicker capris and tights, and yoga pants. My biggest issues with cold tends to be my thighs (not trying to spark THAT debate again... hahahaha) so when it is around 25 or below degrees I tend to wear a pair of capris and then some yoga pants over them. At those temps I tend to layer, so a long sleeve shirt and a vest or jacket or fleece. Something I can roll at least one of the sleeves up or take on and off with little issue then tie it around my waist or something like that. I always have gloves, but I wear just the cheap stretchy fingerless gloves from walmart with the mitten flap so I can flip them open when I get warm. Also have a running beanie hat I got at Target, nothing fancy but made for exercising so a bit better at wicking than just a winter hat. The less miles I run the more I tend to have on because I heat up pretty good the longer I am out there! It is kind of trial and error.

My profile pic is from WDW Half and as you can see I have longer capris on and a light long sleeve shirt under my short sleeve one and to be honest I could have gone without the long sleeve one once I started running. I had a hoodie and a fleece on at the start and ditched the fleece right away and the hoodie went at around mile 2. I think it was 30's - 40's that race day.

As to the lowest temps I will run in, ummmmm, well I have run outside in sunny single digit temps as far as training goes, and races I had a race I still went to that was hovering around zero. I hate the treadmill, so long runs have to be outside for me and I take what I can get!

Not sure this helped you at all, it is hard because we all have different tolerances, but I would just say go with layers so if you misjudge it you can take stuff off as you go!

What do you do with your race medals? Do they go on the wall, a desk drawer, shadow box? Do you get the engraved or do anything else special with them?

I have an entire room with medal rack displays on all the walls. I run a lot of races-they (well the bling) are my motivation!

ATTQOTD: I got a medal rack for Christmas:). Currently all the medals are in my nightstand drawer, but I hope to get the rack up soon. We were away for 2 weeks just after Christmas, and have been busy since. Just yesterday I took them all out, to see how I might place them and I realized it will be 90% full right off the bat. Guess I’ll either need a second or makes one choices to store some.

So, as a northerner we are use to it being colder so might dress a tad less than you would prefer to and I also run hot which makes a difference too, but I have a wide range of long sleeve shirts (from UA to Walmart quality), a light running jacket (Nike), vests (Old Navy), thicker running jacket (UA), fleece tops, longer thicker capris and tights, and yoga pants. My biggest issues with cold tends to be my thighs (not trying to spark THAT debate again... hahahaha) so when it is around 25 or below degrees I tend to wear a pair of capris and then some yoga pants over them. At those temps I tend to layer, so a long sleeve shirt and a vest or jacket or fleece. Something I can roll at least one of the sleeves up or take on and off with little issue then tie it around my waist or something like that. I always have gloves, but I wear just the cheap stretchy fingerless gloves from walmart with the mitten flap so I can flip them open when I get warm. Also have a running beanie hat I got at Target, nothing fancy but made for exercising so a bit better at wicking than just a winter hat. The less miles I run the more I tend to have on because I heat up pretty good the longer I am out there! It is kind of trial and error.

My profile pic is from WDW Half and as you can see I have longer capris on and a light long sleeve shirt under my short sleeve one and to be honest I could have gone without the long sleeve one once I started running. I had a hoodie and a fleece on at the start and ditched the fleece right away and the hoodie went at around mile 2. I think it was 30's - 40's that race day.

As to the lowest temps I will run in, ummmmm, well I have run outside in sunny single digit temps as far as training goes, and races I had a race I still went to that was hovering around zero. I hate the treadmill, so long runs have to be outside for me and I take what I can get!

Not sure this helped you at all, it is hard because we all have different tolerances, but I would just say go with layers so if you misjudge it you can take stuff off as you go!

Thank You! It's currently 62 right now but it is supposed to get down to 15 tonight with sleet/snow mixed in. Tomorrow is supposed to be low 30s. Based on your suggestions, I'll grab a pair of long running tights and some knee socks to go over those and layer my tops adding an under something and a sweat shirt on top. I agree I will probably start shedding stuff as I warm up but since I run by my house I'll toss it in my yard. ;) Luckily my neighbors work so no strip show for them!

It should be back to normal for a couple days for long run Saturday with the high in the mid 60s. I'm beginning to prefer hot humid summers to this cold mess!

ATTQOTD: I have a 'running wall' in the stairwell to the basement.

I have some favorite/colorful race bibs (including my favorite #1313) framed, a Peachtree Road Race poster, a Georgia Marathon Poster, and all my marathon bibs. Got to find a place for the 2 new marathon bibs completed after I ran my 'last' marathon.

The medals are on a curtain rod. Half/full/ultra medals in chronological order to the left. Age group awards to the right. There's a shelf above it for non-hangable race swag.

The basement is the craft and exercise area, so I get to see them a lot. Sometimes I'll jingle them all as I go by.

ATTQOTD: I have a medal rack that is hung in my bedroom by my bathroom and closet. This way I get to walk past it everyday but it is out of the way. I like to look at them not so much because I want to see a bunch of medals but because I like to think about the race that each represents. It is not so much the medal itself but the memory of the race associated to it that means the most to me. Of course because I am who I am I have to have them in chronological order, left to right, top to bottom; I have issues...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter