The Running Thread - 2019

Am I correct in my believing that the “average lap” setting will now display the average of my double-taps for laps?

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-0707B03D-1419-49B0-A0EB-611E25D21331.html
Average Lap Time
The average lap time for the current activity.

"Average Lap" will display the average lap time of the entire run split into your laps such that each lap is treated equally. So a 1 mile lap (your pressing of the button) and a 1.3 mile lap (your pressing of the button) will be averaged together. So:

(lap A time + lap B time) / 2

Not

(lap A time + lap B time) / 2.3

So this won't tell you necessarily what is happening in the moment (like lap pace). The downfall is when Mile 20 comes up the changes in "average lap time" are going to be less responsive to what's actually happening in the moment. So I might have "lap pace" as a fall back to peak at every once in a while. Trust your effort and recent training paces to know when you see a 8:30 min/mile or a 20:00 min/mile (whatever your recent paces have been as a reference) lap pace that it is erroneous.

A quick question for those of you who understand your Garmin better than me...

I am setting things up for Chicago this Sunday and am planning to mark mile laps manually. I have auto-pause turned off. Am I correct in my believing that the “average lap” setting will now display the average of my double-taps for laps? And does anybody have any other settings advice?

Download and install this Connect IQ app. It performs all the calculations you're looking for on the fly each time you hit the lap button at a mile marker.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/6a30651b-ca67-41a5-96dc-60634983fc93

@Mickey Momma i will be honest I was flipping out last year at Chicago worried about my watch. Then worried if I set it on manual I would mess up the laps as well. I just left my watch on auto lap at 1 mile and paid attention to how close it was to the actual my mile markers. I was pretty close.

Also the tip follow the blue line it’s the measuring line so hits all the tangents. I basically stayed on it. My garmin clocked me at 26.34 for mileage. I never got the random gps issues from the building that I have seen @roxymama have.

Haha!! That is actually the app I downloaded last night which made me ask this question today. Wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly. Thanks!

If you don’t want to use the app, you can always subtract 5-10 seconds per mile from your goal pace and use that as a baseline.

Congrats @Bree on a great 10 miler. Nice feeling when a run goes better than expected.

Congrats @PrincessMickey on your HotChocolate Run. Do they still have the big chocolate chips during the race?

Race Recap - Hartford Half Marathon 10/12/19

I ran the Hartford Half Marathon today mainly because it is the one day I can run on the roads in Hartford and West Hartford without worrying about getting hit by a car. 😂 The course also goes right past my street which is pretty cool. It was suppose to just be a 13 mile training run for Dopey but I felt really good coming off the starting line and ended up killing it with a brand new half marathon PR of 1:37:37 (7:27 pace). Old PR was 1:41:30 which is what I submitted for my Dopey POT. This race is past the deadline. It was probably the most steady pace I’ve ever run and I didn’t feel like I was pushing hard until the end. All my splits at 5K, 10K and 15K were the same at 7:32. I poured it on at the end to finish at 7:27 overall.

Interesting note - they added a nice (surprise) touch to all the medals having the date engraved on the back. Unfortunately, when they opened the shipment earlier this week, they realized they were all engraved with the wrong date (10/13/19). They handed out little adhesive plaques with the correct date that you could paste over the engraved incorrect date. It’s too bad. The engraving came out nice. I thought about leaving it with tomorrow’s date because years from now, you will never remember the exact date. But I went ahead put the plaque over it. It is basically a little sticker. It still looks pretty good.

ETA: I almost forgot the best part of the race...the Hartford Marathon gives everyone (+21) a free beer at the Sam Adams 27th Mile Beer Garden. Nothing like a Sam’s Octoberfest on a cool Fall day in CT after a race — especially a free one!! :)

Last edited:
Interesting note - they added a nice (surprise) touch to all the medals having the date engraved on the back. Unfortunately, when they opened the shipment earlier this week, they realized they were all engraved with the wrong date (10/13/19).

They had one job! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Congrats on the new PR

Race Recap - Hartford Half Marathon 10/12/19

I ran the Hartford Half Marathon today mainly because it is the one day I can run on the roads in Hartford and West Hartford without worrying about getting hit by a car. 😂 The course also goes right past my street which is pretty cool. It was suppose to just be a 13 mile training run for Dopey but I felt really good coming off the starting line and ended up killing it with a brand new half marathon PR of 1:37:37 (7:27 pace). Old PR was 1:41:30 which is what I submitted for my Dopey POT. This race is past the deadline. It was probably the most steady pace I’ve ever run and I didn’t feel like I was pushing hard until the end. All my splits at 5K, 10K and 15K were the same at 7:32. I poured it on at the end to finish at 7:27 overall.

Interesting note - they added a nice (surprise) touch to all the medals having the date engraved on the back. Unfortunately, when they opened the shipment earlier this week, they realized they were all engraved with the wrong date (10/13/19). They handed out little adhesive plaques with the correct date that you could paste over the engraved incorrect date. It’s too bad. The engraving came out nice. I thought about leaving it with tomorrow’s date because years from now, you will never remember the exact date. But I went ahead put the plaque over it. It is basically a little sticker. It still looks pretty good.

ETA: I almost forgot the best part of the race...the Hartford Marathon gives everyone (+21) a free beer at the Sam Adams 27th Mile Beer Garden. Nothing like a Sam’s Octoberfest on a cool Fall day in CT after a race — especially a free one!! :)
Congrats!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter