The Running Thread - 2019

Race Report:
Des Plaines River Trail Marathon, Lincolnshire, IL

This was my second marathon, the first being the same race last year. The conditions were unfortunately, very similar. At the gun the temp was 35 degrees with a blustery wind. The regular out and back course was again flooded out so we ran four 6.55 mile semi-flooded loops. Within the first 15 minutes I ran/waded about 50 yards in shin deep water; rinse and repeat three more times. On the last loop I was actually looking forward to the near freezing water soothing/numbing my beat up feet.

My @DopeyBadger plan projected a 5 hour 22 minute finish. Given the conditions I knew earlier in the week that was not going to happen, so I decided to just run at my long run training pace of 13:19. With a couple of 3 minute stops to get sand and grit out of my shoes (at least 3 or 4 tablespoons out of each shoe) I finished feeling strong in 5 hours 54 minutes. Watching the Chicago Marathon while writing this, I wish I was out there pavement pounding this morning, although I'm sure that yesterday's run would have caught up with me very, very quickly.

Thanks to @DopeyBadger for another successful plan. Now less than three weeks to Wine & Dine 10K and HM, with the WDW Marathon coming up quickly in early January!

Last edited:

Race Report:

This was my second marathon, the first being the same race last year. The conditions were unfortunately, very similar. At the gun the temp was 35 degrees with a blustery wind. The regular out and back course was again flooded out so we ran four 6.55 mile semi-flooded loops. Within the first 15 minutes I ran/waded about 50 yards in shin deep water; rinse and repeat three more times. On the last loop I was actually looking forward to the near freezing water soothing/numbing my beat up feet.

My @DopeyBadger plan projected a 5 hour 22 minute finish. Given the conditions I knew earlier in the week that was not going to happen, so I decided to just run at my long run training pace of 13:19. With a couple of 3 minute stops to get sand and grit out of my shoes (at least 3 or 4 tablespoons out of each shoe) I finished feeling strong in 5 hours 54 minutes. Watching the Chicago Marathon while writing this, I wish I was out there pavement pounding this morning, although I'm sure that yesterday's run would have caught up with me very, very quickly.

Thanks to @DopeyBadger for another successful plan. Now less than three weeks to Wine & Dine 10K and HM, with the WDW Marathon coming up quickly in early January!

Congrats, those “puddles” sound crazy!!!

Race Recap - Hartford Half Marathon 10/12/19

I ran the Hartford Half Marathon today mainly because it is the one day I can run on the roads in Hartford and West Hartford without worrying about getting hit by a car. 😂 The course also goes right past my street which is pretty cool. It was suppose to just be a 13 mile training run for Dopey but I felt really good coming off the starting line and ended up killing it with a brand new half marathon PR of 1:37:37 (7:27 pace). Old PR was 1:41:30 which is what I submitted for my Dopey POT. This race is past the deadline. It was probably the most steady pace I’ve ever run and I didn’t feel like I was pushing hard until the end. All my splits at 5K, 10K and 15K were the same at 7:32. I poured it on at the end to finish at 7:27 overall.

Interesting note - they added a nice (surprise) touch to all the medals having the date engraved on the back. Unfortunately, when they opened the shipment earlier this week, they realized they were all engraved with the wrong date (10/13/19). They handed out little adhesive plaques with the correct date that you could paste over the engraved incorrect date. It’s too bad. The engraving came out nice. I thought about leaving it with tomorrow’s date because years from now, you will never remember the exact date. But I went ahead put the plaque over it. It is basically a little sticker. It still looks pretty good.

ETA: I almost forgot the best part of the race...the Hartford Marathon gives everyone (+21) a free beer at the Sam Adams 27th Mile Beer Garden. Nothing like a Sam’s Octoberfest on a cool Fall day in CT after a race — especially a free one!! :)

Congratulations on a great race and new PR!

Race Report:

Congratulations on finishing that race under brutal conditions! My feet are starting to get cold just thinking about it!

Several disboarders are a few miles from finishing their marathons today. Fun to track everyone and it’s highly motivating :)

please think happy “finish strong” thoughts!
For reasons that escape me, I cannot track anyone from my plane, but I can see @roxymama updates- and my row mate does not appear to appreciate my enthusiasm for others. Way to get it done, folks!

Texas 10 Cypress race report - As I have said for this race in the previous years, one of the main things I like about the race site is that it is about 10 minutes from the house, so that makes for a little more leisurely morning before heading to the race site. Parked at the race site about 45 minutes before the start, and did a warmup lap around the outlet mall that serves as the start/finish line for the race. We had our running club team picture around 15 minutes before the stat of the race, and made our way to the start line.

This summer has really kicked my bottom for training and going into the race I did not think I was really prepared as in the past. My goal for the race was to break 1:20, and be really happy if I broke 1:18. Luckily, a nice fall front came through Houston on Friday, and this morning was really nice with a T+D of around 110.

As usual for the Texas 10 race series, the race is 2 lap race for the 10 miles. Started the race with a friend and we talked about trying to stay around 8 minute/mile pace. Started the 1st mile at a 7:46 pace, and tried to dial back the pace a little bit. Mile 2 was a 7:54, so success, 3 was a 7:46. 4 and 5 were at 7:38. So we started the 2nd lap and tried to keep pace with the groups in front of us. I told my friend that I would pick up the pace around mile 8 to see if I can play pac-man. He started to fade around mile 7 at a water stop, so I kept on trucking. Mile 6- 7:37, Mile 7 - 7:47. Unfortunately, everyone seemed to enjoy the weather, and I was only able to pick off 1 running the last 3 miles. Mile 8 - 7:31, Mile 9 - 7:16, Mile 10 - 6:47.

Finish time of 1:15:45 (with a 1:30 negative split), so I kinda surprised myself, and still felt really good the last couple of miles. So I guess I was in better shape than I thought! 42/315 overall, 30/124 male, 4/15 age group.

Steamtown Marathon (3:35:00/3:29:58)

Even though it's held on the same day as the Chicago Marathon, the Steamtown Marathon in Scranton is about the complete 180 of it. Point-to-point, 1k finishers, a ton of downhills.

The course is basically you start running downhill, go downhill some more, keep running downhill and then continue to do that for the first 12 miles or so. Then you go on a trail (very scenic this time of year). Although the portion of that trail that is unpaved around mile 18 isn't the best. Finally some hills in the last two or three miles when your quads are totally shot. Weather today was perfect, about 37 and sunny at the start. I was hoping to run under 3:30, got under by two seconds. A new PR by almost 16 minutes.

Of note:
-the race staff is entirely volunteers. They do a great job with everything.
-no pace groups this year. Not the biggest gripe but it's always a nice insurance policy to have.
-you get some quality emails every week from the race director. Some are downright hilarious. On the website they listed there was going to be no nutrition on the course. About two weeks before the race, they sent out an email saying that there would be PowerGels now on it. Based on the previous emails and the fact they haven't sold PowerGels in the US in years, thought it was a joke. Nope, they actually did although I don't remember seeing any actual gels, just the sport chew things.
-mixed feelings on the course. Some really scenic portions but there's a bunch of it that isn't either.

Congrats @PrincessMickey on your HotChocolate Run. Do they still have the big chocolate chips during the race?

Thanks!! Yes, they had the chocolate chips!
They also had Swedish fish, m&ms, and marshmallows. Then of course all the chocolate at the end. This year was a bit warmer then last year so it was a bit odd drinking hot chocolate when it was in the upper 50s and sunny.

Congrats to all you Chicago Marathoners! And everyone else running races recently. I am excited to share that I complete a race today. It was the GRGR - Ginger Runner Global Run a virtual 2 hour run. I got to run it with my daughter. It was a great time. Most importantly my hip held up so the few weeks of rest I took have really helped. I am still on course for Dopey in January but it will be a simply get to the finish line race(s) for me this year. I have really slowed down in order to focus a lot more on my form and get past the series of injuries that have been such a road block since the ankle surgery.

But today was great, got to spend time on a local trail I love, I got to run and talk with my daughter and I got to finish a race! This was my first since Dopey 2018, it has been awhile!

Prairie Fire Marathon (3:59:59/4:21:04)

Well, going into this race I wasn’t sure that I would be able to hold the pace needed for under 4 hours. It was a really tough summer training, and everything just seemed harder than it should have even after I adjusted paces for T+D - probably should have slowed down more.
This was the 10th running off the PF Marathon with a new course - two loops (booo), and it included Wichita’s biggest hill (Twice!!). But the rest of the course is very flat. I wasn’t too happy with the course, but it is what it is, and it includes more opportunities for spectators to move around.
I started with the 2/4 hour pacers (the pacers switched out at the half). They did a great job. Somewhere in that first half I decided that I probably wouldn’t be able to keep that 9-9:10 pace for the whole race. I decided to continue that pace through the halfway point and then slow down for the second half.
The weather was really good - 40s and light breeze. It was full sun though, so it did warm you up. If the wind wasn’t in your face and you were in the sun it was a little warm (but that really only happened during 1-2 mile stretch in the second half).
So the second half I decided to walk a little at each mile marker. My hips were a little sore. I have more races in the next few months, so I didn’t want to push the faster pace for as long as I could and then be completely out of it and in pain at the end of the race (one of my justifications for slowing down). I finished, and I feel okay. Still my 4th fastest marathon out of 21. I’ll take it. I hung around to watch a few more friends finish, and it really did warm up. It was quite hot sitting in the sun, so I was glad to finish when I did.

@Wendy98 great review!! I’m of the mindset that the majors aren’t nearly as worth it as the best of the non-majors... after Boston this year, I think I’m going to focus on race quality over prestige. I may still try and get my 6 star, but I’m in no rush!! Also, very inspiring comeback from that gnarly injury earlier this year... can’t lie, when I was feeling a little down this month I keep remembering your x ray and your Berlin results 😆

@surfde22 congrats, it sounds like I should add Twin cities to my bucket list! Sorry to hear about the cramps, but great job fighting through adversity 💪🏻
The world of injury can be a dark place. You get these doubts about everything: What if I never feel better, what if this is my new norm, what if my peak days are behind me,....Then when you are healed from whatever injury, the last thing that heals is your mind. EVERY little twinge sends me in a momentary panic. My hips will hurt and I get convinced I have a stress fracture.

I surprised myself with Berlin. I had been focused on building up mileage again and didn't do a ton of workouts for speed. I have NYC in a few weeks and I am just winging it right now. I notice a few twinges every now and then and I back off. I've got a lot on the schedule for Jan-Apr and still not sure if I can do it all.

Just keep doing what you are doing. At the end of June I resumed running, with run/walking, so impressed when I hit 11-12 minute miles. I was happier doing that than the cross training I had been doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter