The Running Thread - 2019

@OldSlowGoofyGuy i think you are normally in coral A for the PRR. DH and I are in coral B, since we are close i might start shouting to find you :).

I was in A for a while, but last year I was in B. I may get demoted to C this year. :)

If you see a guy in a '33 in a row' shirt, it's probably me or my brother. If the person you see is less than 200 pounds, it's me. If not, it's my brother. Not talking a pound or two here.

We hang out under the 'C' balloon/sign after the race. I'll be on the lookout/listen.

April: 75.4 miles

I have narrow, flat feet - and a history of knee pain.

For shoes, I exclusively wear NB 680 after getting fitted for them at my local store. I used to wear inserts, but the 680s let me run without inserts, and keep me pain free. Yay!!!

For socks, I love Balegas and feetures. I’m right on the cusp for size, so size down because of my narrow feet (so they are tighter and less prone to rubbing/blisters).

April mileage - 91
Including Star Wars 5/10/half and a Castaway Cay 5K

ATTQOTD there were way too many choices when I started looking so I went with a six pack of saucony low cut for short money on Amazon. They have worked great so I never looked elsewhere until recently I tried some over the calf compression socks which I really like on the long runs (again Amazon to the rescue) I’d like to find some nice ones down the road and start theming my clothes a little more come race time

ATTQOTD: another great question... but two days late :sad: I just bought a few new pair of socks to try... Up until now, I just wore DryMax thin socks and some cheap nike socks. The DryMax are nice cause they are thin, but they also get holes in em after about 6 mo- 1 year. Someone just recommended CEP, so we’ll see how those go. I’m making a list of all these potential options though. I’m sick of blisters.

Injinji toe socks. I won't run in anything else.

ATTQOTD: I run exclusively in Injinji toe socks now. My toes touch/overlap so I was constantly getting blisters. Since I have started running in the toe socks I have not got blisters (on my toes!)!

ATTQOTD:
Same. Injinji works for me! My toes rub together (even if I have a wide toe box shoe). I get blisters between my toes when it’s hot. Injinji and 2Toms have helped reduce this a lot.

ATTQOTD: I usually run in SmartWool socks. In cold weather the SmartWool Run Cold are fantastic.

I have tried and like several other brands for warmer weather including Injinji, Balega, and Wrightsocks, but I always seem to end up wearing SmartWool PhD Run Light low cuts. My only complaint with any of the low cut socks is occasionally picking up trail debris between the socks and my ankle when I run on unimproved trails.

ATTQOTD: I've tried numerous brands, including, Injinji and Wrightsocks Double, but it turns out I like a tight fitting sock and a quarter height. So Swiftwick Vibe Two (basically a quarter sock) has been my go to....until they discontinued it. I've now bought a couple of Feetures Elite, which I like.

Also, I may as well add my May running miles today: 0 , as I went to the doc and I have a possible stress fracture in my hip. Going for the bone scan Monday. If it's not that, then it's very strained TFL, at least. So I expect May to be a month where I get off my *** to do some light, non-inflammatory cross training.

ATTQOTD yesterday: I've been through a few brands and styles in the three years I've been running. Perennial favorite so far is Brooks Ghost. I tried branching out to Saucony and loved them, but the sizing must be wrong (blisters and black toenails) so I'm probably going the switch back. I am a natural supinator, though more strength training is helping to correct the motion. It caused horrid shin splints... and the neverending shoe search.

ATTQOTD: Feetures... and balegas. Also when budget requires, cheaper multipacks of champion socks from Target.

Ran without knee pain yesterday for the first time since early March. I'm very excited. It's only my second run since Rival Run but I'm happy to be able to start easing back into it.

ATTQOTD: I used to get just general sports-type socks like I use for tennis. But I decided I like more cushiony socks for running. Also, I don't like the ones that are "no show" and have barely any sock above the shoe around the ankle. It turns out that the height I like is called "quarter". Currently I have pairs of both of these that I like: Balega Enduro V-Tech Quarter Socks and Wrightsock Coolmesh II Quarter Running Socks. I got a pair of these Swiftwick - Vibe ONE Road and Trail Running Socks and don't like them as much because they are not as cushiony. The two different types that I have listed above that I like have held up very well to multiple washings in hot water, so I feel like even though they are a bit pricey, I feel like I'm going to get a lot of use out of them.

April mileage: 127 miles

Shoes: I am a Brooks fan, currently wearing ghost 10, I have also ran in adrenalines. I also wear the brooks cascadia for trail running.

Regarding socks, Feetures are my current favorite. I rarely get a blister when I wear them.

QOTD: Long runs on the weekend. Do you prefer to run them on Saturday or Sunday? Why? - Friday. I do not work outside of the home and family obligations tend to monopolize my weekends, so I tend to shift my training plans accordingly. Plus I really enjoy running long Friday and spending Friday night with a beer watching a movie in my PJs.

QOTD: We've had a few questions related to shoes lately so I figured today would be a good day to make a topic about them.
What works for you and what has not worked for you? Do you add inserts or do something different with the laces? Explain if you can? I think I may have started off in Asics, before briefly landing on Sauconys. I have no clue what models. I now run pretty exclusively in Brooks GTS with the exception of the 17s, which just didn't work for me. I would like to branch out a little bit, but am scared to screw something up.

QOTD: Lets continue to talk about our feet today, with todays being socks! We discussed this before, but its worth talking about again for maybe new posters or someone looking to make a change. What has worked and does not work for you? My sister worked in a sock store forever and ever ago and got to bring home a pair of socks per week. She brought home Thorlos for me once and those were my favorite for a while. Now I wear various styles of Feetures socks almost exclusively because I am a sucker for the left and right sock marketing.

ATTQOTD: Also, I may as well add my May running miles today: 0 , as I went to the doc and I have a possible stress fracture in my hip. Going for the bone scan Monday. If it's not that, then it's very strained TFL, at least. So I expect May to be a month where I get off my *** to do some light, non-inflammatory cross training.

So sorry to hear this!!

April Miles - 76.5 (314.8)
Average HR - 138 (137)
Average Pace - 14:53 (15:03)

I have also added yoga to my training! Only three sessions so far, but forgot how much I enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter