The Running Thread - 2019

And remember, even if you're not specifically training for a race being on something structured likely gives you the highest probability of improvement. But what you choose to do needs to mesh well when your actual race specific plan starts such that you don't lead to stagnation late in the race specific training cycle. I think you'll see the biggest gains moving away from three days per week and slowly moving to 4, 5, or 6 days over several cycles. It goes back to properly manipulating the recovery cycle which in turn forces adaptation to the stimulus when done appropriately.
It took me a long time to figure out how this idea works. One of my biggest obstacles to the marathon was the increase in duration for running. Whenever I thought that I'd like to run the marathon, I realized during long runs that really disliked long runs, so why in the world would I double the length of my runs.

Now, once I got into the cycle described so well above, I found that my soreness diminished more as I properly adjusted the frequency and pacing of my runs. Fairly soon, I found that the intense dislike of long runs diminished substantially and I began to enjoy training beyond that thing that I had to do in order to enjoy the race. I'm still very much a work in progress on improvement, but this idea helped me improve my running substantially from where I was.

And remember, even if you're not specifically training for a race being on something structured likely gives you the highest probability of improvement. But what you choose to do needs to mesh well when your actual race specific plan starts such that you don't lead to stagnation late in the race specific training cycle. I think you'll see the biggest gains moving away from three days per week and slowly moving to 4, 5, or 6 days over several cycles. It goes back to properly manipulating the recovery cycle which in turn forces adaptation to the stimulus when done appropriately.

I am also watching this thread with a ton of interest. I’m relatively new to running, been at it a little over a year. In training mode for my first half but have been kind of doing a hybrid of Higdon and a Nike Run Club plan. I have had a really hard time slowing down for easy runs, am getting better at it. If I’m currently at about a 10:00-10:15 minute mile for an easy-conditions (flat, 65 degrees and pleasant) 10k race, could I basically use these charts by adjusting everything upwards by the time difference between the 10k pace being discussed and mine? Or does everything change for a generally slower runner?

(Did that question even make sense?)

I am also watching this thread with a ton of interest. I’m relatively new to running, been at it a little over a year. In training mode for my first half but have been kind of doing a hybrid of Higdon and a Nike Run Club plan. I have had a really hard time slowing down for easy runs, am getting better at it. If I’m currently at about a 10:00-10:15 minute mile for an easy-conditions (flat, 65 degrees and pleasant) 10k race, could I basically use these charts by adjusting everything upwards by the time difference between the 10k pace being discussed and mine? Or does everything change for a generally slower runner?

Here is a race equivalency chart for a 10:10 min/mile 10k.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 6.34.01 AM.png

These would be the training paces calculated based on it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 6.34.08 AM.png

But the core of the question is, how do I figure out my own paces? The easy answer is use an online calculator like McMillan or Hansons. But below is the math I use in my calculator:

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 6.38.35 AM.png

In the above chart you see "Distance", "Miles", "Race Equivalency", "Pace/mi" and "Pace/km". The key column here is race equivalency. The conversion from one distance to another is based on research showing that optimal conversion occurs around 1.06 to 1.08 depending on the distance. The formula is T2 = T1 x (D2 / D1)C developed by Peter Riegel back in the 70s. The "C" is the exponential conversion factor ranging from 1.06 to 1.08. The one thing to keep in mind is that recent research suggests the marathon conversion is probably closer to 1.06 to 1.15 (average).

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 6.38.48 AM.png

Second we develop the paces based on that race equivalency. The M, HM, 10k, 5k, 3k, 1 mile are just times from the race equivalency calculator. The LR is 9% slower than M Tempo, Easy is 12-20% slower, and recovery is 28% slower. So the changes occur based on % change rather than a set value like 30 seconds. The calculation for "Lactate Threshold" is a Daniels proprietary calculation that I can't share.

Not running related, but we all love talking about our pets here and talking about this has been helping. My 7 year old mini schnauzer, Simon, passed away somewhat suddenly late Friday night. We’ve had him since he was a baby. He was the sweetest boy.

He was diagnosed with Cushing’s on March 1st. Every 2 weeks he had to go in for testing to try to nail down the proper dose for his medication. The numbers would be okay, but he’d still be having clinical signs so we’d increase the dose. We thought we had it in April, but on May 9th I decided to take him in because he was just not happy at all. His test was terrible so we increased his medication. He was taking the same amount a Great Dane would take, so I was terrified, but it seemed to be working. He started feeling sick last weekend and I took him to our vet last Tuesday. He was in an Addison’s crisis, which is the opposite of Cushing’s and potentially fatal, but he received a steroid injection to get his cortisol back up to normal levels. He was also diagnosed with diabetes and pancreatitis. They pumped him full of fluids and gave us insulin and sent him home that same day. He had a great day Wednesday and half of Thursday. Thursday afternoon he started to refuse food and treats and he was very lethargic. I took him to the emergency vet Friday morning after I saw him fall over in the yard. They took him back immediately and diagnosed him with diabetic ketoacidosis and an UTI in addition to everything else. They read his charts from our vet and he should have been diagnosed with diabetes weeks ago, but they completely missed it. They said he was in a really bad state, but that he’d be okay in a few days. Later that afternoon they called following an ultrasound and they found a large tumor on his adrenal gland, which was causing the Cushing’s. Adrenal dependent Cushing’s is very rare and much more life threatening than the other types. They also found a massive blood clot in his vena cava which could break off at any time and instantly take him. We all decided to work one thing at a time and keep treating the DKA and think of a game plan once he recovered for everything else. We went to visit him Friday evening and it was heartbreaking. He was so out of it and he wasn’t even sedated. At 11:54, they called us to say that Simon had gone into cardiac arrest at 11:45 and he was not responding to CPR. She gave her prognosis for if he even came back, and we elected to stop CPR. We rushed to the vet to see him one last time, but he was gone within seconds of stopping CPR. I’m so thankful he knew when it was time to go and that we did not have to make that decision for him. The vet said it was very quick and he did not appear to be in pain, just very, very tired. I’m furious that our vet missed his diabetes earlier this month. On May 9th, his glucose was higher than the day they actually diagnosed him last week. While I want to march in there and scream at them, no one would have known about the blood clot, which would have been untreatable, and that may have been what gotten him. Just a lot of feelings about the whole thing.

We put our senior dog down on NYE, my grandmother passed away suddenly in March, and now this. I really hope this is it for a while. My husband has a 50K this weekend in Northern Virginia, so we’re looking forward to get away from the house for a couple of days.

Simon and I did run one race together, a 1 mile puppy trot. He got 17th place and his mile PR was 9:01. He got distracted just before the finish line by some freshly laid mulch, and went and laid down. He was so happy that day. Our time together was cut way too short, but I wouldn’t change anything at all.

Thanks for reading and letting me talk about him. CEC4A1C1-3D1F-4841-97DD-806DE37CADC4.png60021823-E744-4D9B-9DC3-946A73F7F19C.png8B2F973A-3655-43DA-A98F-B595C190F9B7.png
89C8B164-1CF5-4C34-9BFA-8F38E20238F3.jpeg

Not running related, but we all love talking about our pets here and talking about this has been helping. My 7 year old mini schnauzer, Simon, passed away somewhat suddenly late Friday night. We’ve had him since he was a baby. He was the sweetest boy.

He was diagnosed with Cushing’s on March 1st. Every 2 weeks he had to go in for testing to try to nail down the proper dose for his medication. The numbers would be okay, but he’d still be having clinical signs so we’d increase the dose. We thought we had it in April, but on May 9th I decided to take him in because he was just not happy at all. His test was terrible so we increased his medication. He was taking the same amount a Great Dane would take, so I was terrified, but it seemed to be working. He started feeling sick last weekend and I took him to our vet last Tuesday. He was in an Addison’s crisis, which is the opposite of Cushing’s and potentially fatal, but he received a steroid injection to get his cortisol back up to normal levels. He was also diagnosed with diabetes and pancreatitis. They pumped him full of fluids and gave us insulin and sent him home that same day. He had a great day Wednesday and half of Thursday. Thursday afternoon he started to refuse food and treats and he was very lethargic. I took him to the emergency vet Friday morning after I saw him fall over in the yard. They took him back immediately and diagnosed him with diabetic ketoacidosis and an UTI in addition to everything else. They read his charts from our vet and he should have been diagnosed with diabetes weeks ago, but they completely missed it. They said he was in a really bad state, but that he’d be okay in a few days. Later that afternoon they called following an ultrasound and they found a large tumor on his adrenal gland, which was causing the Cushing’s. Adrenal dependent Cushing’s is very rare and much more life threatening than the other types. They also found a massive blood clot in his vena cava which could break off at any time and instantly take him. We all decided to work one thing at a time and keep treating the DKA and think of a game plan once he recovered for everything else. We went to visit him Friday evening and it was heartbreaking. He was so out of it and he wasn’t even sedated. At 11:54, they called us to say that Simon had gone into cardiac arrest at 11:45 and he was not responding to CPR. She gave her prognosis for if he even came back, and we elected to stop CPR. We rushed to the vet to see him one last time, but he was gone within seconds of stopping CPR. I’m so thankful he knew when it was time to go and that we did not have to make that decision for him. The vet said it was very quick and he did not appear to be in pain, just very, very tired. I’m furious that our vet missed his diabetes earlier this month. On May 9th, his glucose was higher than the day they actually diagnosed him last week. While I want to march in there and scream at them, no one would have known about the blood clot, which would have been untreatable, and that may have been what gotten him. Just a lot of feelings about the whole thing.

We put our senior dog down on NYE, my grandmother passed away suddenly in March, and now this. I really hope this is it for a while. My husband has a 50K this weekend in Northern Virginia, so we’re looking forward to get away from the house for a couple of days.

Simon and I did run one race together, a 1 mile puppy trot. He got 17th place and his mile PR was 9:01. He got distracted just before the finish line by some freshly laid mulch, and went and laid down. He was so happy that day. Our time together was cut way too short, but I wouldn’t change anything at all.

Thanks for reading and letting me talk about him. View attachment 404048View attachment 404049View attachment 404051
View attachment 404054
So sorry for the loss of your pup.

Thanks for reading and letting me talk about him. View attachment 404048View attachment 404049View attachment 404051
View attachment 404054
Sorry to hear about your loss. Its hard.

QOTD: What changes do you make when running in the summer months v/s winter months?

ATTQOTD: I'm more likely to carry water for shorter runs. Runs will start either earlier or later in the day as well. For longer runs that last later in the morning, I pay attention to the color shirt I wear to run in (light colors). I also will wait on purpose for a afternoon shower to run in, just so it feels cooler.

QOTD: What changes do you make when running in the summer months v/s winter months?

ATTQOTD: I'm more likely to carry water for shorter runs. Runs will start either earlier or later in the day as well. For longer runs that last later in the morning, I pay attention to the color shirt I wear to run in (light colors). I also will wait on purpose for a afternoon shower to run in, just so it feels cooler.
In the past, it would move my lunch hour runs to before work runs. That seems harder given a shift in family schedule and routine that prevents me from being in bed in time to run before dawn. If I cannot figure out how to shift back to a more manageable schedule, I am going to have to work on figuring out how to bring water and carry body glide.

View attachment 404054

So sorry for the loss of your pup. I had two miniature schnauzers growing up. They are such lovely dogs.

ATTQOTD: My morning weekend runs move up to first thing in the morning during the summer. I’ll also carry water on shorter runs then I do during the winter. I also pay attention to the color of my shirt & shorts. I. Don’t mind treadmills, they aren’t my ideal choice but I can run on them for long periods of time. So if it’s an extremely hot/humid day I’ll do treadmill running.

ATTQOTD in the past I pretty much ran the same no matter the season or weather, with the obvious extra layer, hat, and gloves in winter but a recent shift change means I run after work now instead of weekday mornings. I don’t really care for treadmills compared to outside but this summer may see some indoor running on any triple digit afternoons

@apdebord sorry for your loss, they are family members and always leave too soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter