• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The star wars spoiler thread

Honestly...people were saying all those things and ecstatic coming out in 1999 too...

I'm more interested in what it's like on January 10th...when people would be going for repeats or "getting around to it"...

The lasting stars movies he legs...the others...didn't.

My prediction is that this one has legs. It's not perfect, it references the originals a few more times than it really should (I get why, but still), and the plot relies on coincidence a bit heavily but it has the Star Wars feel in a way that Phantom Menace most definitely did not. I think people will want to see it more than once. That's something I never do at the cinema, but in this case I might.

Well...wizardry with trick numbers aside...I just read it again and I saw an estimated $140 million before the close Friday...so whatever they are doing when the estimates - it now projects probably $275...which is a
Massive number.
Agreed. Can't wait to see where it lands. On Wednesday, I read a piece by a "movie expert analyst" who predicted that there was no way that FA would beat the weekend record for the following reasons.
1.) Each movie theater would have to average over $53,000 for the weekend and with a weak Friday matinee possible, the 53k seemed highly unlikely.
2.) People were still shopping and getting ready for the Holidays.
3.) Kids still in school.
So where do we stand now? Mom, Dad, Junior, and Princess ( or some family combination) just saw the movie and they're driving home. The kids want to know when they can see it again, Dad's reminiscing about when his Dad took him to see the original, and the kids are modifying their Christmas wish list. What's even more likely, is that the die hards carry the weekend and the family hasn't seen it yet so that drive home might not happen until next week.
Massive number indeed!

The rebooted aspects of the movie - 4th time out of 7 the plot revolves around blowing up a death star - sound to me like Disney is saying, yeah guess what, this isn't the ring cycle, it's a comic book series and if we need to bring back the Joker a few times and turn the action over to Batgirl to keep things chugging along ... well ... that's show biz.

But if they HAD to recycle, at least they had the good taste to echo the look and feel and emotions of the best two movies in the series.

And there is still a pretty big and sweeping story arc that elevates the series far above anything that will ever happen in the Marvel universe.

The rebooted aspects of the movie - 4th time out of 7 the plot revolves around blowing up a death star - sound to me like Disney is saying, yeah guess what, this isn't the ring cycle, it's a comic book series and if we need to bring back the Joker a few times and turn the action over to Batgirl to keep things chugging along ... well ... that's show biz.

But if they HAD to recycle, at least they had the good taste to echo the look and feel and emotions of the best two movies in the series.

And there is still a pretty big and sweeping story arc that elevates the series far above anything that will ever happen in the Marvel universe.

Honestly...I never thought I needed to see Star Wars again. I call it by its original, non episodic name.

Because we got a lot of 2.0
In Jedi...it just looked way cooler. You know how many times I reenacted wedge flying through the second Death Star when I was 6?

So did we get 3.0?

It's ok but it's never gonna sit 100% right...but it also won't Ruin the franchise...cough

Now...I wouldn't mind a second run at the basic feel of empire. That would be ok. You can't rip off like you did this time...but a real gritty struggle would be fine.

Biggest plot hole ... the map thing. Can we not figure out how to hide someone in a galaxy without pretending that people can look at a fragment of a map and have no clue where it is? It's like they think that people who program Wifi settings on their router wouldn't be able to understand an encryption key.

The way that Han suddenly finds the the Falcon, and then the Jets and the Sharks appear from nowhere is so sketchy it's almost dreamlike in its illogicality. Maybe it was supposed to be a longer scene but had to be cut to the bare minimum in order to stay under 150 minutes. Or possibly the Han Solo plot was originally intended to stretch across two movies but had to be squeezed into one.

Odds on Billy Dee Williams taking over as Scoundrel Emeritus and Long Lost Father in VIII? Poor Chewie will never get to be captain ...

Now...I wouldn't mind a second run at the basic feel of empire. That would be ok. You can't rip off like you did this time...but a real gritty struggle would be fine.
But you did get empire. The look and feel screams Irvin Kirshner and the family reunion thing was deja vu all over again. Only Han's not going to get out of the carbonite this time.

Biggest plot hole ... the map thing. Can we not figure out how to hide someone in a galaxy without pretending that people can look at a fragment of a map and have no clue where it is? It's like they think that people who program Wifi settings on their router wouldn't be able to understand an encryption key.

The way that Han suddenly finds the the Falcon, and then the Jets and the Sharks appear from nowhere is so sketchy it's almost dreamlike in its illogicality. Maybe it was supposed to be a longer scene but had to be cut to the bare minimum in order to stay under 150 minutes. Or possibly the Han Solo plot was originally intended to stretch across two movies but had to be squeezed into one.

Odds on Billy Dee Williams taking over as Scoundrel Emeritus and Long Lost Father in VIII? Poor Chewie will never get to be captain ...

I blame
Kasdan for this "map" part...remember what else he wrote.

It was bad.

But I'm not entirely convinced they didn't chop up the original premise of the story...it did seemed rush and came up a bit shallow.

Not terrible though

But you did get empire. The look and feel screams Irvin Kirshner and the family reunion thing was deja vu all over again. Only Han's not going to get out of the carbonite this time.

Empire was skywalker and yoda and Vader being a true bad guy..

We didn't get that...yet

Empire was skywalker and yoda and Vader being a true bad guy..

We didn't get that...yet

While they didn't go full on Empire, there are actually quite a lot of echoes of that (and pretty much every other iconic Star Wars scene). Han's confrontation with Kylo Ren for example screams Empire.

While they didn't go full on Empire, there are actually quite a lot of echoes of that (and pretty much every other iconic Star Wars scene). Han's confrontation with Kylo Ren for example screams Empire.

No...I knew that was gonna be said.

But that wasn't it.

The reveal gets the attention...but the first 3/4 of the movie is what made Vader iconic. Remember he was a puppet in ANH.

Kershner said many times that hammil and frank oz carried the movie and Gave it depth.

Hopefully we can get a
Little reminder of that down the road.

Early box office numbers do seem good thankfully

Seem good. What a wonderfully low key description. The records broken so far are:
And there's about 11 more records it's in the running to break by the end of the weekend alone.

Did anyone notice the nod to Indiana Jones? When Han was running from the giant alien ball monster, reminded me of that I.J. scene with the big stone ball

Seem good. What a wonderfully low key description. The records broken so far are:
And there's about 11 more records it's in the running to break by the end of the weekend alone.
I can just see Bob with a big smile on his face and him swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck

I can just see Bob with a big smile on his face and him swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck

You mean on the same day when the stock rating agencies have labeled Disney as overvalued and think the target price for 2018 will be $90 a share?

Did anyone notice the nod to Indiana Jones? When Han was running from the giant alien ball monster, reminded me of that I.J. scene with the big stone ball

I think the silliness of the "map" was more of a nod to Indy...

Harrison ford running was painful to watch...it made me feel old.

Lawrence kasdan wrote the screenplay for raiders...FYI

Ok, I understand the box office numbers as good but your telling me the movie did 57 M Thursday and only 63 M on Friday? For some reason that sounds low to me for Friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter