Theme Parks you visited that no longer exist

http://www.riparks.com/Locations/LocationRockyPoint.html For Rocky Point fans - it has been saved from the condo developers, and is now Rhode Island's newest State Park

This is cool. I used to go to Rocky Point on visits to see my Dad in RI. My Aunt and Uncle used to take us every year.

As for my part in this zombie topic, Liberty Land in Memphis was a staple of my childhood. Lots of great memories!

I also went to Opryland once or twice.

When I was little my parents took me to Frontier Village, an old theme park that use to exist in San Jose CA.

As a child, I visited the Lake George, NY area a few times. Fond memories of Frontiertown, Land of Makebelieve, Storytown, and Gaslight Village. The artist Arto Monaco designed many of the buildings in these parks and worked on Disneyland.

Wow, this is an old thread! It's interesting though.

I'll throw in Astroworld. I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid.

I grew up going to Astroworld as well. It is a shame they had to close it. I remember Fright Fest and the winter wonderlands. My favorite ride was actually the old time cars you could drive on the track. Wish I had the photo my mom had a worker take of all of us poking through the back opening of one.

My childhood parks were Eldridge Park in Elmira NY. Fraleys Park in Waverly NY. Roseland Park in Canandaigua NY. Ghost Town in the Glen Moosic PA. Skyline Park in Tioga Center NY.

Thanks to whoever resurrected this thread,

I did go to Rocky Point once back in the mid 1980's.

As a child, I visited the Lake George, NY area a few times. Fond memories of Frontiertown, Land of Makebelieve, Storytown, and Gaslight Village. The artist Arto Monaco designed many of the buildings in these parks and worked on Disneyland.

I remember going to Gaslight Village and Storytown. I think Storytown USA evolved into Six Flags Great Escape.

Not sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but we used to go to Willow Grove Park north of Philadelphia at least once a summer. It closed down in the mid 1970's and now a shopping mall is on the site. The Alps roller coaster thru a fake mountain was a favorite.

aae2a72a14cd06808fe3783b50b3b773--amusement-parks-old-school.jpg

Astroworld in Houston.

The old Elitch Gardens in Denver.

Boardwalk and Baseball near Orlando.

Myrtle Beach Pavilion.

Not quite theme parks, but several Jersey Shore boardwalk amusement piers have closed down over the decades.

Perhaps another or two that I can't recall.

With all the Chicagoans on this board, I was a little surprised that Kiddieland (Melrose Park, IL) hadn't gotten a mention. But I just checked, and when this thread was created, Kiddieland was still in business. No wonder!

I grew up in Montreal and remember seeing commercials for them on TV all the time especially Frontiertown and billboards for them when we drove down the highway in New York.

As I child I went to Santa's workshop in NY. I just googled and am shocked that it still exisits. They even still sell felt hats with you name on it like I had when I was 4or 5. Lol. Wish I lived closer to have taken my kids.

[As I child I went to Santa's workshop in NY. I just googled and am shocked that it still exisits. They even still sell felt hats with you name on it like I had when I was 4or 5. Lol. Wish I lived closer to have taken my kids.[/QUOTE]

We just went two weeks ago. I hasn't changed much! Our 2-year-old had his first solo ride ever on the plywood peppermint swing. I have to say, our very young kids enjoyed it as much as a day at WDW.

[As I child I went to Santa's workshop in NY. I just googled and am shocked that it still exisits. They even still sell felt hats with you name on it like I had when I was 4or 5. Lol. Wish I lived closer to have taken my kids.

We just went two weeks ago. I hasn't changed much! Our 2-year-old had his first solo ride ever on the plywood peppermint swing. I have to say, our very young kids enjoyed it as much as a day at WDW.[/QUOTE]

Fun! Is the talking tree still there. I remember it telling me to drink all my chocolate milk. Lol.

Frontier Village, San Jose, California. I rode a mule train and I remember the fishing pond that charged by weight. If a fish was caught under or above a certain weight it was free.

Also the old Marine World Africa USA in Redwood Shores, California. It did eventually move to Vallejo, California where it went through several ownership and name changes. The old park land is now HQ for Oracle.

I think my parents took me to the old Marineland of the Pacific near LA. SeaWorld bought it an moved all their animals to San Diego.

Now defunct rides is a whole topic to itself.

Pleasure Island in Wakefield, Mass. I grew up in the next town and could see part of it from my house. I only remember going there once but that was a long time ago so I may have gone more often. I had to google it to find when it was open - 1959 to 1969.

Mountain Park, in Holyoke, MA

Riverside Park, in Agawam, MA
Riverside was bought out by Six Flags, so actually, the park is still there. No more racetrack, though. I haven't visited it since it became Six Flags, and I live in Agawam.

Francine
Oh yes! We used to go to Mountain Park as kids, and then when my children were young we spent what seemed to be all summer long at Riverside Park. My husband still reminisces about eth huge chicken BBQ that was his favorite meal.

Remember the race track?

I do!

I know this is an old thread but it was fun going through the posts. I cannot remember the name, but there was an amusement park at Salisbury Beach. It had been a parking lot prior to that. As a kid we used to go there often. I miss that! When my sister and I visited DLR and I saw the Ferris wheel in California Adventure, all I could think of was that old park on the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter