This Can't Be Right...You MUST use a TS credit for everyone if on DDP

I found this on Disney park moms panel. Hope its not true. We are planning to share some meal at some TS restaurants :(
View attachment 114823

When we had the DP in 2/2014, this is what we were told when we booked. Again by the CM when we made ADRs. For character meals & buffets, no sharing (unless you have a child under 2) I don't recall if it applied to all TS but definitely the shows, characters & buffets.

I would tell your friend to contact Disney and make a complaint about they way the CMs treated her. No way is this policy

Last edited:
You cannot share credits at buffets, AYCE family style restaurants, fixed price restaurants (CRT or Akershus), dinner shows, or meal packages (Fantasmic or Candlelight Processional). Or Via Napoli. If B&C does have such a policy it has not been widely reported.

Well we are planning on sharing a kitchen sink in Nov. We have a late ADR booked and had planned to ask if we could use 4 snack credits for it and pay OOP of the answer was no, but reading this I think I will just deny that we are on the plan right from the start.

I can understand the no sharing meals at Dinner shows and Character Meals but if DH and I want to split a dinner at say Tony's why shouldn't we be able to? And why is it ok to if you are paying OOP but not on DDP? Technically the DDP is like a voucher for a meal...

Well we are planning on sharing a kitchen sink in Nov. We have a late ADR booked and had planned to ask if we could use 4 snack credits for it and pay OOP of the answer was no, but reading this I think I will just deny that we are on the plan right from the start.
Unfortunately, snack credits are only valid for single serve items. You will not be able to use 4 snack credits to cover the Kitchen Sink. Just thought you should know up front. Have a great trip!

Unfortunately, snack credits are only valid for single serve items. You will not be able to use 4 snack credits to cover the Kitchen Sink. Just thought you should know up front. Have a great trip!

Perfect thanks. I had been advised some people had been successful in doing so(pooling snack credits) but we were just going to ask and pay OOP if the answer was no but with this new worry we will just say we don't have DDP :)

From my understanding, the problem isn't that you can't pay OOP if you have the dining plan. The problem is, that if you make an ADR, each person must order an entrée and not just a dessert. So it has to do more with the fact there was an ADR, and not the fact they had the dining plan.

Which if that is the case, I will need to cancel an ADR I have for Sci-Fi, because we just planned on just ordering appetizers and shakes.

From my understanding, the problem isn't that you can't pay OOP if you have the dining plan. The problem is, that if you make an ADR, each person must order an entrée and not just a dessert. So it has to do more with the fact there was an ADR, and not the fact they had the dining plan.

Which if that is the case, I will need to cancel an ADR I have for Sci-Fi, because we just planned on just ordering appetizers and shakes.
That's not true, and you'll be fine at Sci-Fi.

There are certain restaurants, most commonly Via Napoli, that will not allow you to use one credit to feed two people. There, you will not be allowed to share an individual pizza. I've heard of trouble at the other restaurant in Italy and at the restaurants in Mexico. Those may be hit or miss, but everywhere else, you can share or order just what you want. No restaurants anywhere on property have any sort of required minimum purchase.

We routinely make an ADR just for apps or dessert, and frequently order two entrees for three people. Or even two entrees and a app or two apps and an entree, for three people.

That's not true, and you'll be fine at Sci-Fi.

There are certain restaurants, most commonly Via Napoli, that will not allow you to use one credit to feed two people. There, you will not be allowed to share an individual pizza. I've heard of trouble at the other restaurant in Italy and at the restaurants in Mexico. Those may be hit or miss, but everywhere else, you can share or order just what you want. No restaurants anywhere on property have any sort of required minimum purchase.

We routinely make an ADR just for apps or dessert, and frequently order two entrees for three people. Or even two entrees and a app or two apps and an entree, for three people.

I should have said, "From my understanding of the OP's post", (not just from my understanding of ADR's or DP in general), based on her saying "the CM further explained that Disney had changed its policy and that if you have an ADR, you must order a meal, not just desserts"

I know in the past we've only ordered appitizers and/or desserts when having an ADR and hope that ability to continue to do that doesn't change

I don't do the DDP any more but you can certainly make an ADR and just order an appitizer and or a dessert. I do it all the time since I rarely eat an entre, an appy is more than enough for me and sometimes I want a dessert. Either the original person was a trifle confused, telling the story wrong or just got hoodwinked by a CM or there was a communication problem and neither one was actually asking or saying what they were meaning.

While I agree that everything the cm said, as related to us (and op), seems kind of sketchy, the OP's friend wouldn't have been able to use the DDP on the kitchen sink no matter what. Frankly, the guest never even had to mention the dining plan at all.

So I wonder if that is where the confusion came from. I've seen cast members seem to get ready to battle about the dining plan and then seem relieved when I say I'm not on it. I've also heard more than one server say it's so much nicer when folks pay oop.

My wife and I paid out of pocket for a TS meal that we wanted to split. The CM asked if it was going on our MB, and we said that we wanted to pay cash. No questions asked and no problems. Sounds like a misunderstanding in the OP.

We had free dining and I would never have thought to have split a TS meal.

I don't plan on going to B&C, but confusion like this is a reason why I am canceling our DDP. I feel like it's too much food anyway. If I want to share a plate with my DD5 I should be able to do so without using her credits, too.

I found this on Disney park moms panel. Hope its not true. We are planning to share some meal at some TS restaurants :(
View attachment 114823

This is absolutely incorrect. You can share at most restaurants with no issue and with the new changes you can use credits for someone who isn't on the DDP. Via Napoli is one of the few places that each person much use a credit.

Disney is not going to tell someone that they can't pay out of pocket if for no other reason they don't want people to eat off property. It just doesn't make sense that they would say no to money. Also manager not available doesn't sound right either sounds like someone trying to get a bigger tip than they would have had or someone trying to line their pockets. If everyone orders desert easier to take a couple off and make some quick cash

The problem is the ADR not the DDP. When you make Dining plans now under MDE you have to say whether you are using the DDP when you book the Reservation. You also have to use a Credit card to secure the reservation, Even though the system knows you have the DDP. What it sounds like is that CM's were say thing that IF you made a ADR that said you were using the DDP but then chose not to order a meal then supposedly there is a "new policy" that you will be marked as as "no show" and therefore your credit card that you put in during the ADR reservation would be charged. I think its ridiculous but now it concerns me because we have more ADR's than Dining credits because we are doing some signature diners and just plan to use our credits and then pay out of pocket for the meals after we use up all our credits. But I might want to pay out of pocket on a cheaper breakfast ADR before my Signature Dinner meal so I hope this doesn't end up being a problem that forces us to pay with credits regardless if we want to or not.

Luckily we are not scheduled to be at Beaches and Cream but its a bit scary because Disney just changes rules sometimes. Has anyone confirmed that people can still pay out of pocket for any ADR and that we have a choice when we use our DDP credits?

The problem is the ADR not the DDP. When you make Dining plans now under MDE you have to say whether you are using the DDP when you book the Reservation. You also have to use a Credit card to secure the reservation, Even though the system knows you have the DDP. What it sounds like is that CM's were say thing that IF you made a ADR that said you were using the DDP but then chose not to order a meal then supposedly there is a "new policy" that you will be marked as as "no show" and therefore your credit card that you put in during the ADR reservation would be charged. I think its ridiculous but now it concerns me because we have more ADR's than Dining credits because we are doing some signature diners and just plan to use our credits and then pay out of pocket for the meals after we use up all our credits. But I might want to pay out of pocket on a cheaper breakfast ADR before my Signature Dinner meal so I hope this doesn't end up being a problem that forces us to pay with credits regardless if we want to or not.

Luckily we are not scheduled to be at Beaches and Cream but its a bit scary because Disney just changes rules sometimes. Has anyone confirmed that people can still pay out of pocket for any ADR and that we have a choice when we use our DDP credits?
You can't make an ADR that says you're using DDP unless it's a pre-paid meal like CRT and you indicate that you're using your plan credits so your credit card is not charged in advance. Beaches & Cream does not work like that.

You definitely have a choice when you use your credits so long as they are used within your stay. Disney has not changed those rules. If you run into a problem like OP's friends, demand to see a manager, but I think it's safe to say you won't have any problems.

It is incorrect that you cannot share TS meals on the DDP. On our last trip, I had my "Disney adult" 10 and 11 year olds with me. Many times we shared meals at non buffet restaurants. I had no problem ordering 2 entrees for the 3 of us and using 2 TS credits at Coral Reef, Mama Melrose, Sanaa, and Prime Time.

I had an ADR in Jan., 2014 for B&C. We did not eat complete meals and paid OOP. When we returned home I had a no show charge on my CC. I called Disney and they did reverse the charge on my CC.

This is absolutely incorrect. You can share at most restaurants with no issue and with the new changes you can use credits for someone who isn't on the DDP. Via Napoli is one of the few places that each person much use a credit.

Yes.

Any one of us could do a better job than that mom's panel. Ugh.

If you run into a problem like OP's friends, demand to see a manager

Yes.

I had an ADR in Jan., 2014 for B&C. We did not eat complete meals and paid OOP. When we returned home I had a no show charge on my CC. I called Disney and they did reverse the charge on my CC.

That just happens sometimes. As you found, it's no biggie, they just reverse the charges. Rusty Scupper made a post last week about the steps they go through at the restaurant, and it's very easy for them to accidentally think someone wasn't there when they were. It's why they have the procedure to reverse it, because errors happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter