• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This Is Us- Season two

Bolding is mine and to that, I completely disagree. Now in this family, I understand the closeness of the Big 3, especially Kate and Kevin. However, in reality that isn’t always true. I know Toby and Kate aren’t married, but my husband comes first. The day I agreed to marry him, he became my family.

Each family dynamic is different, but thing rarely work out when outside people (yes, even family) continuously take priority. I think in this instance, Toby was real, honest and vulnerable - which was such a nice change from the passive-aggressiveness of last season.

See, I think it just depends and I totally see both sides of it. My sister's and I are very close and I get that it's not popular, but honestly in my heart, my kids come first, sister's second and then my DH. My DH is not "my person," my sister's are and honestly there's no one I trust more than them. We always joke that we need to put in writing that we want each other to be the ones deciding medical things for us if we're unable. It's not that we don't love/trust our husbands, but it's just not the same.

On the other hand I completely understand that can really suck for the other person, especially if they're not close to their family. I think Toby had every right to feel like the 3rd wheel at times, but I also think Kate and Kevin have every right to be so close and so far I don't think either have overstepped their boundaries.

Just for the record, my DH and I have been married almost 18 years, my sister and husband 8, and youngest sister and husband 2 years...so far for all it's worked. Everyone just has to be understanding and sensitive to the relationships. It's not something to feel threatened by.

Mandy Moore has said that fans should read into three clues in the episode:

the cast on Kevin
the dog
Randall's girlfriend

No, they said her pregnancy won't be written into the story
I'm not surprised. They seem very purposeful about how they write their story line. They are so careful about every detail. I can't imagine they would change things up that substantially just to hide a baby bump.

Last edited:
ITA about Beth. I know the character seems to rub some ppl. the wrong way, but she's one of my favorite "current" characters, I think she's pretty awesome. When Randall told her to wrap her head around him wanting to adopt...wow, that's probably the first time I've ever disliked something about his character, but I think her response was perfect and to me she's comes across very unselfishly caring about her husband, kids, family.
l also like Beth. When she mentioned that Randall does what he wants without even talking to her, it was a lightbulb moment. He brought William home without even telling his wife that he had been looking for him. He just decided that William would move in, and Kevin too. She has a lot of patience.

l also like Beth. When she mentioned that Randall does what he wants without even talking to her, it was a lightbulb moment. He brought William home without even telling his wife that he had been looking for him. He just decided that William would move in, and Kevin too. She has a lot of patience.
Her line about "I could have done without a Manny in my basement" was hilarious!

I like Beth a lot, too. She puts up with a LOT of crap from Randall--his anxiety, his perfectionism, him moving in random family members... She clearly loves and supports him, but I can't imagine that he would be easy to live with. I can see where, for her, the adoption thing at least starts out as another one of his impulsive ideas (you know, like, "let's bring home a dying stranger to live with us!"). I love that she thought about it, and has her own twist on the idea. I think she understands Randall better than anyone.

Mandy Moore has said that fans should read into three clues in the episode:

the cast on Kevin
the dog
Randall's girlfriend

I saw that those were clues, too. I wonder if they show that some time has passed between Rebecca going to get Jack and the fire and that they had worked their way back into a healed family again. The kids are about the same age, so it couldn't have been years and years, but they wouldn't have aged much in a year or so.

See, I think it just depends and I totally see both sides of it. My sister's and I are very close and I get that it's not popular, but honestly in my heart, my kids come first, sister's second and then my DH. My DH is not "my person," my sister's are and honestly there's no one I trust more than them. We always joke that we need to put in writing that we want each other to be the ones deciding medical things for us if we're unable. It's not that we don't love/trust our husbands, but it's just not the same.

Works for some that way and doesn't for others. Sounds like you found someone that works for! I love to hear the differing opinions when there are issues like this that aren't right or wrong.

I like Beth a lot, too. She puts up with a LOT of crap from Randall--his anxiety, his perfectionism, him moving in random family members... She clearly loves and supports him, but I can't imagine that he would be easy to live with. I can see where, for her, the adoption thing at least starts out as another one of his impulsive ideas (you know, like, "let's bring home a dying stranger to live with us!"). I love that she thought about it, and has her own twist on the idea. I think she understands Randall better than anyone.

I'm already 6 episodes in and so far I love Beth. She is so steadfast about her love for Randall. But lord, that man is so good looking, it might make his quirks a bit easier:)

All of the belongings in the bag on the front seat look too clean and shiny to have been worn by someone that just died in a fire. I don't think he actually died in the fire.

I thought of that too, but if he died of smoke inhalation, then the stuff in his pockets wouldn't necessarily have been all sooty.

Works for some that way and doesn't for others. Sounds like you found someone that works for! I love to hear the differing opinions when there are issues like this that aren't right or wrong.

You are 100% correct about that. Like I said upthread, I was the third person in my last marriage..his sister was firmly wedged in there. That wasn’t the reason I left, but it played a part.

On the other hand I completely understand that can really suck for the other person, especially if they're not close to their family. I think Toby had every right to feel like the 3rd wheel at times, but I also think Kate and Kevin have every right to be so close and so far I don't think either have overstepped their boundaries.

Just for the record, my DH and I have been married almost 18 years, my sister and husband 8, and youngest sister and husband 2 years...so far for all it's worked. Everyone just has to be understanding and sensitive to the relationships. It's not something to feel threatened by.
On a random, tangent side note here if you don't mind me asking what's the reason behind the medical aspect?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter