This Is Us- Season two

I am going to have to watch On Demand and pause to see what was in the bouquet.

It literally took my breath away. We have never not watched together.
When my DD went away to college in 2004, we had been watching The Gilmore Girls together each week. After she left, we would both watch then text or instant message about the show.

So much in this episode to let sink in. The scene with her two brothers walking her down the aisle killed me. My two brothers walked me down the aisle and my oldest brother waked my mom. My dad died one month before my wedding. The toast scenes were familiar, my brother talked about my dad in his toast as well.

The whole episode was beautifully done. As for the future glimpses, I think Randall and Tess are talking about Beth. It just seems too straightforward for then to be talking about Deja. There has to be a twist.

I read that it was a screwdriver. LOL. I didn’t like the glimpse into the future. I guess there’s a good reason not to know it. It would be too sad for us all. I couldn’t have imagined the sadness we’ve had in our family in the last few years, and wouldn’t have wanted to know. I think Toby might be in bed due to his heart condition, but I’m just guessing.

They did a great job at the end with the "future" scenes. I am speculating what could have happened or what is going to happen and have the rest of the year to do it. My big question is who is future Tess and Randall talking about at the end. I am leaning towards something happened with Beth but then you also have Deja. It is open ended.

I think it was Deja. Something triggered in Deja when Toby's mom said she looked like her father, obviously not knowing Deja was a foster child of Beth and Randall. She got visibly angry and glared at Randall. Then we see her taking the bat to his car.

Looks like Kevin winds up with Beth's cousin.

I was fine until the end when it said “This Is Us returns this fall....” and my son turns to me and says “I won’t be here”. He leaves for college in August.
It literally took my breath away. We have never not watched together. Normally my husband, son and I watch all watch together. A few times (like tonight) my husband is tired and goes to sleep early, but Matt and I watch together. Even the episode where William died, Matt was so tired he was dozing off and we turned it off and finished in the morning before school.

You had your own 'This is Us' moment.

We have taped 'The Middle' since our oldest went to college in 2012. He's now married and we leave episodes on the DVR until he comes home and,watches it. It was the one show we watched together.

I read that it was a screwdriver. LOL. I didn’t like the glimpse into the future. I guess there’s a good reason not to know it. It would be too sad for us all. I couldn’t have imagined the sadness we’ve had in our family in the last few years, and wouldn’t have wanted to know. I think Toby might be in bed due to his heart condition, but I’m just guessing.

His parents were talking about depression after his first wife. I think that is what it is.

The Tess and Randal thing, I think it has to do with Beth too.

Is Kevin going to find his dad's buddies maybe. It definitely was Beth cousin going with him.

I think they’re talking about Beth, too.

And I think Toby has a depression episode, since his mom brought it up earlier in the episode. Ugh his parents drove me nuts. Talk about dumb timing. Guess they needed a way to bring up his depression. I really thought he was dead in the bed at first.

Reactions: NAB
Oh my gosh, someone on the show facebook page has an theory about the Randall and Tess flash forward. They said it's about Randall always telling Deja "big house, fancy car". She took his car out with the bat. They suggested she might have started a house fire or done something to the house that injured Beth and Annie. That's why we don't see them in the future scenes.

Oh my gosh, someone on the show facebook page has an theory about the Randall and Tess flash forward. They said it's about Randall always telling Deja "big house, fancy car". She took his car out with the bat. They suggested she might have started a house fire or done something to the house that injured Beth and Annie. That's why we don't see them in the future scenes.

Eh I don’t see them doing another house fire on this show. And we’ve only seen two future glimpses into Tess and Randall, so it isn’t too odd that they haven’t shown Beth and Annie.

Eh I don’t see them doing another house fire on this show. And we’ve only seen two future glimpses into Tess and Randall, so it isn’t too odd that they haven’t shown Beth and Annie.
That is true. Too gimmicky. The other theories out there is that Deja hurts Beth or Annie and they are going to visit her in jail.

I think I am going to stay off the Facebook page. So many people had opinions on what was going to happen, and so many people were in agreement with other opinions, it was almost a let down that things actually did not happen.

I just want to say that Kate's dress was amazing and beautiful.

I watched this show and was so surprised when it was finished. I thought, 'already?' and then thought of this thread where someone said it's the slowest hour. The hour goes by quickly for me. As usual, I will have to watch it again. I always watch before reading the comments, then again after reading the comments.

I think the 10-year in the future is also talking about Randall and Tess visiting Beth. They kept going to her and showing her having a good time, then the scene with future Randall and Tess. I think maybe she might be in the hospital? or worse, grave? I don't think it's about Deja, and I hope she doesn't hurt Beth and Annie, especially as that would shed a really bad light on adopting, and I don't think the show wants to do that. I hadn't considered them visiting Deja in jail. I am hoping she's reunited with her mom sometime in the future. She has a lot of hurt going on in her, but I was bummed that she took the bat to the car. I wonder if she did that thinking that they would have to send her back to her mom. I think she likes the security of staying with them, but for her it's too final for them to adopt her and her 'abandon' her mother. Too much too fast. (Though I did like when Randall said he liked Deja 2.0)

I love how year-in-the future Kevin is tender with Beth's cousin in the plane. I think they're going to look for his uncle's grave or visit the place Jack was stationed.

I'm sad to see how Toby is depressed and on meds, but does show how when he needs Kate, she's there for them, so she's not always the needy one.

I teared up when Kate told her mom that she is the way for her, after Rebecca told her that she wanted to stay out of the way.

I never noticed that there was something in the bouquet. Definitely need to watch again.

Wow! - This show continues to amaze me. We were just talking about whether they could go forward after revealing the big answer, and here they've given us three new puzzles to speculate about.

I loved Kevin with Beth's cousin. I just saw the trip as him wanting to find out more about his dad's life, but the stuff about his uncle makes sense too. - I hope he gets some answers!

I definitely think it's depression with Toby - but I wonder what triggers him to slip back?

I will be really mad if Deja does anything to Beth or Annie! But I also don't really think they'd paint that bleak a picture of foster care - take in a kid who needs help, and lose one you already had? I'm hoping there is just a big fight between Tess and her mom, and Randall is trying to patch things up. (And for now I'm assuming Annie is just living farther away - maybe even still in school somewhere.)

I know that it's realistic for the relationship with Deja to have a lot of ups and downs, but I was hoping the "up" from her talk with Beth's cousin would last a little longer. :laughing: The scenario with Toby's mom could just as easily have gone the other way if the change wasn't so raw - with Deja realizing she did seem to the casual observer like part of the family.

I loved the line from Kate to her mom about "You were not in my way, you are my way." :love:

And I definitely think it was a screwdriver in the bouquet.

The whole thing with Kate's dream about the other "wedding" they should have been having was really clever.

Last edited:
It was definitely some kind of tool in Kate's bouquet. I think Kevin going to Vietnam has something to do with Jack's brother. I wonder if he could still be alive and living in Vietnam?? I also teared up when Kate told her Mom "You weren't in my way, you were my way".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter