Tiered/surge park pricing coming soon

agreed, but look how much is being built under Iger while stock prices and attendance continue to rise. and all of the acquisitions (marvel, star wars, etc). he definitely hasnt ignored the parks

Iger's ten years has been a decade of decay for Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The Pandora plans have been a debacle from the beginning and will take close to 8 years to complete. New Fantasyland is a plus, but the Little Mermaid Ride is a real stinker that represents everything cheap about Iger's reign.

His time will be remembered for transitioning the parks from a high quality top notch service experience, to a traditional let's make as much money as possible by cutting back model.

And of course the rise of DVC. Which the company has had no trouble getting built on time and in a variety of locations.

I agree that teachers are only following state laws..

However I do find there are a few bad apples in the bunch.
The ones that will not give class aisgnments a head of time (when asked for) or make up work upon returning.
And then given 0 on all those assignments.

I think It's completely unfair.. If the child asks for the assognments before hand they should be given the chance to do them.. I can understand teachers given the assignments after the child has returned, but to not give them at all does no one any good..The child has no chance to learn what they have missed and could hurt the child chance of success later on.

I highly doubt there is law against given make-up work

You don't have to wait for DH to go to Disney. ;) I'm sure he'd understand...

lol. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt his feelings to miss Disney. But if we're going to spend that kind of money on a vacation, it will only be one a trip that we all go on as a family.

Iger's ten years has been a decade of decay for Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The Pandora plans have been a debacle from the beginning and will take close to 8 years to complete. New Fantasyland is a plus, but the Little Mermaid Ride is a real stinker that represents everything cheap about Iger's reign.

His time will be remembered for transitioning the parks from a high quality top notch service experience, to a traditional let's make as much money as possible by cutting back model.

And of course the rise of DVC. Which the company has had no trouble getting built on time and in a variety of locations.

So how do we get rid of this guy? What would it take, for Disney to wake up and make some good changes?

I agree that teachers are only following state laws..

However I do find there are a few bad apples in the bunch.
The ones that will not give class aisgnments a head of time (when asked for) or make up work upon returning.
And then given 0 on all those assignments.

I think It's completely unfair.. If the child asks for the assognments before hand they should be given the chance to do them.. I can understand teachers given the assignments after the child has returned, but to not give them at all does no one any good..The child has no chance to learn what they have missed and could hurt the child chance of success later on.

I highly doubt there is law against given make-up work

:) I agree with you. I encourage all of my students to take vacations whenever they can. School work is easy to replace. Travel is important.

You should try Disneyland. They are constantly building new attractions and improving the park. The money they are spending there dwarfs what they are doing in Florida.

Sorry, I'm spoiled. I'm used to not seeing a gas station, motel, or fast food place across the street at Disney. Of course, there's also the fact that I live in Tampa.

It's easy to blame one man, but the fact is, Iger is more of a symptom than the cause.

In any case, I couldn't believe the VOTLM the first time I rode it and I can't believe it every time I go back on it. It's a disgrace, they really did a horrible job on it. As a whole mind you, there are segments and pieces done very well but in it's entirety, it's laughable.

Funny how that is, isn't it?

The 8 years makes sense when you remember what you said about being "cheap" and it being about the "money".

Blame the government for their the slow progress. I run a small business, being able to stretch your expenses over multiple years can be highly advantageous when it comes to taxes. If they built everything in 12-18 months like they did in the past, they'd max out their deductions for those years and not be able to fully write all the expenses off.

You might ask why wouldn't DVC do that? Because DVC gets no income while it's building and it also falls under some other things but I'm not here to give econ 101.

Why would Universal build so much quicker, since Disney figured it out? Because Universal isn't Disney. People, like most people on the Dis, are brainwashed into "Disney Disney Disney", One new ride or restaurant/ quick service opened? Have to see it right now, can't wait till it's done. Gotta go now.

Universal is still growing, Harry Potter gets a tremendous amount of people in, looks at the stats afterwards for US and USIOA.

Does anyone think that sort of growth will happen when any of these new lands open in WDW? Not to that level, no. The available amount of people traveling to theme parks in Orlando isn't there. And again, with such a loyal following "Soft openings" and phased openings draw enough of a spike that it works out. All WDW is doing is making sure they don't lose too much ground to US and US ioa in 5~ years.

DL is a different story, it's a different animal over there. As to money being spent, it's being spent in WDW, just on other things, like the magic trackers. Imagine if that 2 billion was put into upgrades and attractions instead of this nonsense.

they have been running surveys on this already months ago. there were screen shots posted on here with the questions, so they were already finding out what people think. i don't think they need to leak out information in this case to get reactions, they have the data.

Absolutely correct--we were given the same survey while visiting Disney a year ago. There were kiosks set up in tents in the various parks and we were approached to take the survey. The survey also included questions pertaining to the Annual Passes and proposed changes. Those new names/pricing structure have now come to fruition. We have also received the surveys via email after visits. We responded negatively to each and every aspect of it; clearly, our opinion was in the minority OR Disney is choosing to do what it wanted to do regardless and claiming it is what its customers wanted. :confused3 I know where the AP is concerned, I am not thrilled with being forced to purchase the photopass nonsense to the tune of an extra $100 for the ticket price. It wasn't worth it to me as a stand alone product and it isn't any more valuable as an add-on. Then there is the price increase on the TIW card. . . :headache::headache::headache: Disney is making its products and pricing far more complicated than need be.

So how do we get rid of this guy? What would it take, for Disney to wake up and make some good changes?

Why would the shareholders and board of directors get rid of Iger? He is doing a pretty darn good job. Businesses are judged by their performance and the company's performance, which goes way beyond the parks, has been excellent. Look at how profitable the Marvel purchase has been and Disney could very well make back every cent of the LucasFilm film purchase with the release of one movie and it's supporting ecosystem.

Those two purchases alone almost guarantee his legacy as a very smart and succesful CEO IMO.

Here is the attendance policy from a local school district in Texas.
"Vacations or family trips will not be counted as excused even with parent notification. The days missed will count toward the 10 days within 6 months that trigger a truancy filling".

According to Texas Education Code 25.093, a parent is subject to prosecution when the child fails to attend school regularly.

:earsboy: Bill
Ours is similar. Our handbook says:

A person required to attend school may be excused for temporary absence resulting from any unusual cause acceptable to the Superintendent, the principal or the teacher of the school in which the student is enrolled. Such causes may include, but are not limited to: 1) personal sickness; 2) family emergency; 3) documented juvenile court proceeding; 4) Board approved extracurricular activity; or 5) approved college visitation.

Absences such as non-school related vacations and trips, babysitting, working (including modeling), and non-school sponsored athletic events and programs shall be considered unexcused. If a student is going to be absent more than ten consecutive days, the student shall be withdrawn at the end of the tenth day.
Funny how school sponsored events are OK. I've never liked that part of it.

I don't agree. During his 10 years Disneyland has improved greatly and is far better than when he started. Carsland is awesome.

Is tiered pricing not the norm at other non-Disney US theme parks?

It's completely standard here in the UK, and I can't think of a single theme park I've visited that doesn't use the model: it's more expensive at busier times. Sucks a bit for us, as I work in a school, but that's not their fault that I need to visit at the times when most people want to do so. I found the whole concept of having tickets that don't expire or are valid on any date a bit strange, personally... don't see how that can work effectively in practise.

I don't agree. During his 10 years Disneyland has improved greatly and is far better than when he started. Carsland is awesome.

Iger may be the best CEO the company has had since Roy Disney (maybe even since Walt himself)

We've got to remember that the parks would likely get stale eventually with no new IPs from the entertainment side. Re-vamping the rest of the company will be Igers legacy. Along with opening two new theme parks and major expansions to 5 of the 6 US theme parks.

I see no reason to complain about his leadership.

Here is the attendance policy from a local school district in Texas.
"Vacations or family trips will not be counted as excused even with parent notification. The days missed will count toward the 10 days within 6 months that trigger a truancy filling".

According to Texas Education Code 25.093, a parent is subject to prosecution when the child fails to attend school regularly.

:earsboy: Bill

That doesn't mean they will be truant if they take a 5 day vacation during the school year. We take our kid out every year (in Texas) and they are just marked as absent. The school never mentions it to us and we have no issues. Our children prefer vacation time with family over a perfect attendance ribbon.

Is tiered pricing not the norm at other non-Disney US theme parks?

It's completely standard here in the UK, and I can't think of a single theme park I've visited that doesn't use the model: it's more expensive at busier times. Sucks a bit for us, as I work in a school, but that's not their fault that I need to visit at the times when most people want to do so. I found the whole concept of having tickets that don't expire or are valid on any date a bit strange, personally... don't see how that can work effectively in practise.
Only at Disneyland Paris, and only since last year. The problem with it being here is that the parks have already gone way past inflation especially in more recent years, and this is an obvious excuse for them to go far beyond that even. As for your theme parks, it is their fault for charging more during those times and people shouldn't be punished if those are the only times they can go. Park tickets are the one thing everyone has to buy to get in so I think that's why it's worse than w/ other expenses there. Nonexpiring tickets were how they all were until 2005, then you paid extra for that until now. It worked well in practice obviously, now getting rid of them is part of their strategy of getting greedier all the time.
Iger may be the best CEO the company has had since Roy Disney (maybe even since Walt himself)

We've got to remember that the parks would likely get stale eventually with no new IPs from the entertainment side. Re-vamping the rest of the company will be Igers legacy. Along with opening two new theme parks and major expansions to 5 of the 6 US theme parks.

I see no reason to complain about his leadership.
I own some stock and I definitely want Iger OUT. I think his strategies will eventually make Disney lose a lot more people to Universal, especially if they do tiered pricing. If there's no way to get a decent price when they can go a lot of people will stop going. I think most customers wouldn't like him at this point, with prices having gone up immensely in more recent years and with cutbacks at the parks. Disney easily could lose a lot of repeat customers especially with tiered pricing (which easily could put a lot of customers over the edge), and repeat customers are what they've depended on a lot through the years. What are these two new theme parks you're talking about? I can't think of any that opened after Eisner (the parks were managed a lot better under his leadership). Who knows how long these major expansions will take, and in the meantime we're constantly paying more and getting less w/ closures, cutbacks in entertainment, etc. Walt and Roy didn't believe in monetizing all customers as much as they possibly can, as evidenced in prices being much more in line with inflation then, and I'd say this generally continued until Iger came along. Now they don't see customers anymore, they just see huge dollar signs

Last edited:
Disneyland improvements are all well and good but WDW has been really neglected. It's easier for a lot of people to get to WDW rather than Disneyland, and they shouldn't be punished for "going to the wrong coast"

Only at Disneyland Paris, and only since last year. The problem with it being here is that the parks have already gone way past inflation especially in more recent years, and this is an obvious excuse for them to go far beyond that even. As for your theme parks, it is their fault for charging more during those times and people shouldn't be punished if those are the only times they can go. Park tickets are the one thing everyone has to buy to get in so I think that's why it's worse than w/ other expenses there. Nonexpiring tickets were how they all were until 2005, then you paid extra for that until now. It worked well in practice obviously, now getting rid of them is part of their strategy of getting greedier all the time.

I own some stock and I definitely want Iger OUT. I think his strategies will eventually make Disney lose a lot more people to Universal, especially if they do tiered pricing. If there's no way to get a decent price when they can go a lot of people will stop going. I think most customers wouldn't like him at this point, with prices having gone up immensely in more recent years and with cutbacks at the parks. Disney easily could lose a lot of repeat customers especially with tiered pricing (which easily could put a lot of customers over the edge), and repeat customers are what they've depended on a lot through the years. What are these two new theme parks you're talking about? I can't think of any that opened after Eisner (the parks were managed a lot better under his leadership). Who knows how long these major expansions will take, and in the meantime we're constantly paying more and getting less w/ closures, cutbacks in entertainment, etc. Walt and Roy didn't believe in monetizing all customers as much as they possibly can, as evidenced in prices being much more in line with inflation then, and I'd say this generally continued until Iger came along. Now they don't see customers anymore, they just see huge dollar signs

The two parks I was mentioning were Hong Kong and Shanghai.

The Orlando parks are a pretty small part of the Disney empire at this point.
Iger's main achievements came elsewhere. As a stockholder I would think ou would know that.

The numbers don't show customers are having any issue paying the rising costs of attending the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter