To Tip or not to Tip?

milmore104

Mommy to 3 Disney Princesses
I was just wondering if anyone feels the way I do. I don't understand why I have to tip EVERYONE! I mean I do tip people and tip well we do but why do we? Why do we have to tip every person that touches are bags even if it's for a 3 inch move? I just get upset about the whole tipping thing. Imean no one tips me for my work! Isn't it there job to clean our rooms, move our bags, bring us new towels? They are getting paid for this right?
I just feel that by the time our vacation is over we have spent about $300 on tipping people! Is that right?

Tipping is not required. You don't HAVE to tip anyone.:D

Disney does not list housekeeping as one of their tipped positions.

We have three able bodied kids so we carry our own bags. As for the housekeepers, if they do a good job, which most of the time they do, I tip. Usually $3 to $4 per day, I feel they deserve it. I'm sure their hourly wage is minimal. It's not a financial hardship and on one trip the housekeeper gave us two lovely Disney frames at the end of our stay. Restaurants we tip accordingly.

Originally posted by milmore104
I was just wondering if anyone feels the way I do. I don't understand why I have to tip EVERYONE! I mean I do tip people and tip well we do but why do we? Why do we have to tip every person that touches are bags even if it's for a 3 inch move? I just get upset about the whole tipping thing. Imean no one tips me for my work! Isn't it there job to clean our rooms, move our bags, bring us new towels? They are getting paid for this right?
I just feel that by the time our vacation is over we have spent about $300 on tipping people! Is that right?

If yu don't want to tip, you do'nt have to. Move your own bags, eat at counter service restaurants, self park, etc. But if you have someone assist you, it is customary and expected that you will tip them. They are not paid a living wage, and rely on tips to survive. As far as housekeeping, if you don't want to tip them, don't. I choose to for a variety of reasons.

Anne

I guess my words are not coming out the way I want them to! What I'm trying to say is way are tips expected? I mean I don't ask for our bags to be taken to our room they just are and the second the bellman drops the last bag his hand is out for a tip. I just find that rude! I once tipped the bellman $5 for bringing 1 bag to our room and he looked at us like it wasn't enough. I just don't understand I guess. I do like to tip people if they do something nice for my family. Like one maid who knew we returned to our hotel ever afternoon to go in the pool. She whould always have extra towels waiting for us in our room when we returned. I did tip her generously. I guess I'm just one of those people that do things for other people just to be nice. I don't do things to try and get a tip!

To gepetto:
Disney has a list of positions that expect to be tipped?

They generally do not automatcially move your bags. If they are approaching and reaching for them, and you do'nt want them to move them (ie you do'nt want to tip for it), just politely decline with a "that's OK, we can handle them", and they'll go on to help someone else. I've brought in my own bags, and I've had them bring them for me, depending on how much I had to bring in.

Anne

PS--$5 is more than enough for one bag, unless it was the size and weight of a VW. :)

The list of tipped positions was in our AKL room in a brochure of resort info.

We usually park out own car. I prefer using Disney transportation for our entire vacation so we don't valet park.

It depends on how long we stay as to whether we take in our own bags. If we have a lot of bags, we tip the man that brings them into the room $10. If we just have a couple of bags we take them in ourselves

Whether or not you tip housekeeping is a personal choice. i stopped tipping the AKL housekeeper because she didn't make up our room until 4PM every day. We did call after the first day and request that they do it earlier since my kids were always resting up from the parks at that time. Didn't help. Later that week, someone new started doing our room and we tipped her every day.

Tipping for moving bags is my great quandary. I like to have my bags moved for me and I don't mind tipping. But ... I feel that sometimes I need to tip 2 people each way. First, there is the person who removes the bag from your car then drops them off at the bell stand. Then, there is the person who takes them from the bell stand after you have you room number and then up to the room and unloads them. The same happens on the way out :(.

Sometimes we have so many bags (because we drive) I spend a small fortune getting my bags to and from the room. We also usually have too many bags to carry them ourselves. I used to have the "whoever touches the bags last gets the tip" philosophy, but the valet parkers are so nice ....

Tipping or gratuities are ALWAYS optional. While a tip may be customary, it is never required. I never tip someone out of concern for how much they may or may not earn. What a person chooses to do for a living is exactly that -- their choice.

Having said that, I normally do offer a gratuity for various services (bellmen, valet parking, housekeeping, restaurant servers, etc.). I don't feel any obligation to offer a gratuity; it is an expression of thanks for the service provided.

My DW and I factor gratuities into our budget. We prepare Mousekeeping envelopes before the trip and put the gratuity in for each day. For bellman, valets, etc. I tip if we use the service. Normally, I don't need help with luggage as we usually have luggage with wheels and handles. Often we self-park -- the exercise does me more good than the young men running for cars.

Just being back, I was really thinking about this, too. I always tip and for housekeeping @ the poly the staff was overly thankful, and we did have fast, early service, with a few extra towels. At the BC we tipped the same way and nothing, room done much later, minimal towels, once told " I'm out of face towels so if you need more than 1 call on your phone". They were nice but I didn't tip 1 day and the service was excellent the next, I guess she just expected it. At the poly the bellman was afraid to touch our bags, we were asked twice you want help with your bags, and did notice more people doing there own bags then not. I feel if the service is there I will tip (&well).
:D MKY

Originally posted by robinb
Tipping for moving bags is my great quandary.

I have to agree with this, I was a little confused as to which of the Bell staff you tipped. Do you tip the fellow who helps get luggage out of car or do you tip the person who brings the bags to your room or do you tip both? On our AKL trip, I tipped both, but later heard that you should just tip the last person who handles your bags; ie - the person who brings them to your room.

I did tip housekeeping, but did notice that they were not listed as staff to be tipped. Also, why is it assumed that housekeeping are paid minimum wage? Has any housekeeping staff ever posted here that they were paid just minimum wage? Just curious. They are the ones who I probably will not tip next trip down. As long as Disney does not feel that they should be tipped, why should I?

I've loved reading peoples feelings on tipping. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there that doesn't get it. I think we are all in the same boat of who we tip for touching our bags. I mean in one trip there's the guy at the airport that helps you w/ your bags from your car to the ticket counter $10, then the same service when you arrive at the airport only he takes it to your shuttle $10, then you tip the shuttle driver $10 for the ride and taking your bags on and off, right then the shuttle driver hands them off to the curbside guy who holds your bags until your room is ready $10, then you have the guy who brings your bags to your room $10 that's $50 already and your vacation has yet to begin!
I know people say carry your own bags but it's hard when you are carrying a one year old! I just don't understand who and when you should tip someone. I mean do I really have to tip everyone that touches our bags? Or like at the hotel do they split tips at the days end?

I really have a hard time with the tipping of the bags thing. i usually only give the guy who gets the luggage out and puts it on the cart $.50 per bag. I give the guy who drives us in the little golf cart to our room and then takes us up and in $1. per bag. I have no idea if that is cheap or not but I just don't think it is that difficult a job and they must make atleast $100 a day just in tips so it's not a bad job. Now the mousekeeper I think they have a pain in the neck job. Some people are very messy and I would hate to have to clean a bathroom for anyone other than my own family and I don't much like it then. I might like it better if I got a tip. I am pretty neat but I always leave $1 per person and sometimes more if we need something extra like towels or the daybed made up. I am not a big tipper but I do make sure I factor that in as part of the trip. I think it is about $100 by the time we get home easily and that doesn't include the restaurants.

Originally posted by ducklite
They are not paid a living wage, and rely on tips to survive.
In regards to housekeeping and other "non tipped" positions, it was their choice to take or not take the job. What they are or are not paid is not my fault, so why should I suppliment their income?? IMO, this is the not a good reason to tip.

In regards to housekeeping and other "non tipped" positions, it was their choice to take or not take the job. What they are or are not paid is not my fault, so why should I suppliment their income??

A. How do you know the position is 'non-tipped'? (by which I mean the IRS does not require them to declare their tip income; such as it does for food servers, bellman, etc). Does this vary by establishment?

B. You're tipping for service received (or desired) above the normal standard. So if you get extra towels when you ask for them, or an early room cleanup time, or a late checkout (which throws off the cleaning schedule), or any number of things... then you should tip housekeeping. A similar standard applies for jobs that are 'non-tipped' jobs.

C. In my personal opinion, all service industry jobs, for people over 18, should be forced to pay a living wage (around $9.50 -$12.00 an hour depending on local cost of living) and paid health benefits. These are the types of jobs that people want to have. The fact that they aren't paid that is due to supply and demand for workers. If we were near zero unemployment, I think you'd see people earning what they deserve. Until then Tips for good service help service industry positions make their bills each month.

I find all the information on tipping very helpful!!! But my question is, should you tip every day or can you wait until the end of your stay to tip, say for housekeeping?

We just came back from a trip to the Polynesian and let me tell you, it feels like I spent half of my spending money on tips. I really don't mind this because I am a very generous person anyway. But this was my first vacation withouth my family so before I went I made sure I knew all of the people I was supposed to tip...the maid...the bellman..waiters...bartenders...shuttle people...valet parking people...etc.But there was one posistion that I had NO idea I was supposed to tip...the people that watch your bags if you check in early. Ok. I can see tipping him when I come to pick it up or when they drop it off to my room but, noooo, he made it a point to stand there until I tipped him. Then I had to tip another guy when I picked it up (he didnt even unload my luggage, he just pushed the luggage cart to the curb) When I came home I asked my parents if you are supposed to tip these people and they looked at me like, duh, of course you are. So now I know for next time, just tip EVERYONE, even if they touch your bag for 2 seconds. It's crazy but I guess that's how it's done ;) lol now I can't get my pictures developed because I spent all of my money on tips! :p

Originally posted by indigo

How do you know the position is 'non-tipped'? (by which I mean the IRS does not require them to declare their tip income; such as it does for food servers, bellman, etc). Does this vary by establishment?
The IRS required ALL tips to be reported (if in excess of $20 in any one month) and taxes to be paid on said tips. But (from what I can tell) it is only the restaurant industry that "allocated tips" are required. Therefore, if they recieve a tip they need to report it to their employeer (but I doubt they do since it is not a tipped position) and report to IRS.

Originally posted by disneyispi
I find all the information on tipping very helpful!!! But my question is, should you tip every day or can you wait until the end of your stay to tip, say for housekeeping?

I make Mousekeeping envelopes (http://www.buffnet.net/~heidi/maid_envelopes/classic.html) for each day BEFORE leaving for the trip. I put in a tip for each day and then leave it on the sink or on the pillows on the bed.

Your Mousekeeper probably will change, maybe from day to day, so the person on the day you check out may not be the one who maintained your room on previous days.

Originally posted by WDW2002

The IRS required ALL tips to be reported (if in excess of $20 in any one month) and taxes to be paid on said tips. But (from what I can tell) it is only the restaurant industry that "allocated tips" are required. Therefore, if they recieve a tip they need to report it to their employeer (but I doubt they do since it is not a tipped position) and report to IRS.

I can't speak for all restaurants but I was a trainer at a national chain steakhouse and can tell you that 8% of each servers nightly sale is reported as earned income (tip). So for example, let's use 100.00 as a reference. You have a 100.00 check and on that 100.00 you have to give 3 dollars, or 3% back to the restaurant for them to divide up between the bussers, hostess, bar and silver rollers. Then they also tax you on 8 dollars earned income (tip) plus your 2.35 an hour wage. Does not sound like much but considering you COULD have gotten a poor tipper who only gave you 10 dollars on 100, in effect, you've had a very bad night! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter