To Tip or not to Tip?

Originally posted by las3888
I wouldn't really consider not tipping for services rendered to bellhops, but why should I pay for their services to move my bags, when it is their job? Why do I not tip for the services of the front desk people, the guard who checks my parking pass as I go through the gate, the people who work in the shops, the people taking my order at the counter service, the person I rent a bicycle from, or the lifeguard? These people are all performing their duties, plus not getting paid a whole heck of a lot. I just don't think that using a bellhop should be differentiated from these other service jobs.

All good questions. A waitress gets tipped but a flight attendant who serves you lunch doesn't. The curbside skycap who checks your luggage gets tipped but wait in line inside and the airline employee who checks your luggage doesn't. I agree alot of this isn't consistent (or even fair). I agree with your conclusion, you really "have" to tip people who do work for you if tipping is a major (or only) source of their compensation.

Originally posted by milmore104
most people including myself had no idea that tipping was how bellboys got paid!

Disney provides a salary to all employees. Tips are supplemental to this salary. Just like servers and other tiped positions. This does not mean that the bellmen and other tiped positions to do rely on tips to live on. But if a person does not tip, for whatever reason, the bellmen is still getting paid to handle the bags.

Originally posted by WDW2002

Tips are supplemental to this salary. Just like servers and other tiped positions. /B]

Not sure about bellman but servers are generally PAID BELOW THE MINIMUM WAGE and are required to pay taxes on projected tips. If you don't TIP a waiter he is literally paying (the IRS) for serving you. For most tipped positions tips don't supplement the salary, they are the major source of compensation. You really have it backwards, the salary supplements the tips. Disney pays the bellman to have him available for you to use. If you don't tip you're expecting him to work for free. If you read the resort guide/newspaper Disney give tipping guidelines so you know which employees are compensated via guest tips and which employees are compensated by salary.
Sorry this arguement about tips being supplemental income isn't valid, just an excuse for people looking for a reason to stiff a worker.

Originally posted by Lewisc

Not sure about bellman but servers are generally PAID BELOW THE MINIMUM WAGE and are required to pay taxes on projected tips.
I am an accountant for a restaurant. So I know ALL about tips etc. In California, we are required to pay AT LEAST minimum wage which is $6.75/hr. Tips of 8% of sales are considered "allocated tips." Most of our servers/bartenders make at least twice that but report NOTHING above 8%. So about 2/3 of their income is NOT TAXED at all, wish my job was like that.

From what I can tell, it is only the restaurant industry that require allocated tips, and only restaurants that are allowed to pay sub-minimum wage.

Lets face is some jobs are minimum wage jobs. The persons handing me the burger at counter service likely doesn't make much more then the bellman or the housekeeper.

Originally posted by WDW2002

I am an accountant for a restaurant. So I know ALL about tips etc. In California, we are required to pay AT LEAST minimum wage which is $6.75/hr.

CA and OR are two of the very few states with living wage laws. FL is NOT one of them. Neither is NY or NJ. In these states tipped positions are paid about $2.35 per hour.

And FYI, here in NJ, fast food workers start at $6.50 per hour for young kids with limited availability and go up to over $11/hour for day crew, no management or leadership duties involved. My kid makes $8.50/hour at his summer job, very unskilled labor, for example one part of his job is plugging in lights, turning them on, then off, and then if they don't work handing them to another guy to fix.

This is all beyond the point.

Let's face reality, service positions expect to make the majority of their income in tips. Otherwise most of these people would be doing something else. Yes, WDW could hire people who are happy with minimum wage at the end of the day. But they will generally NOT be the enjoyable, service oriented people that are there now. Look around at the "service" you get in your local mall by the people who make slightly over minumum wage. Is that what you want at WDW?

One of the resorts we vacation at fairly regularly attaches a per guest daily gratuity which covers housekeeping, bell services, concierge, etc. You are still expected to tip for food service and spa service, as not all guests use these services. Their literature is very specific about this. The problem with this is that many guests will balk at paying a "resort fee" or what ever they call it. If they raise the pay of those in these positions at WDW, they will have to raise room rates. Then guests will complain about this, saying that they don't want to pay extra as they do'nt use these services.

No matter what you do, you can't please everyone.

Anne

Yes, WDW could hire people who are happy with minimum wage at the end of the day. But they will generally NOT be the enjoyable, service oriented people that are there now. Look around at the "service" you get in your local mall by the people who make slightly over minumum wage. Is that what you want at WDW?

I am sorry, but this is EXACTLY what WDW people are paid. I know - one of my best friends works there!!!

Sorry this arguement about tips being supplemental income isn't valid, just an excuse for people looking for a reason to stiff a worker.

Not exactly a fair statement - all I am saying is that I don't think it fair to have to tip because I think bellhops are not always optional. I also think most bellhops make a very decent wage especially considering what they do, and the skill involved, and don't think it fair to other service workers (i.e. front desk clerks etc.). I am not looking to 'stiff' a worker...don't understand why I need to pay somebody $5 to move my bags from my trunk to a luggage cart. Again, I am not looking to 'stiff a worker' I am and always will pay tips when it seems the customary thing to do.

I am not looking to 'stiff' a worker...don't understand why I need to pay somebody $5 to move my bags from my trunk to a luggage cart
That is the discussion point to me. I do tip but I don't get the tip to this bellperson. I resent that I have to tip a person for literally getting a luggage cart. and we do take our stuff out and put it on there. I think that the bellperson who does the interacting wth me is the person who deserves the tip.

I too am sometimes confused about how much to tip and usually always left a tip at the end of our trip for mousekeeping. But after reading this, I'll leave it daily - didn't think about the fact that the person would change each day.

We usually rent a car & self park so don't have to tip for bags, but we do this to save time. Just park, wheel in the bags and check in. If our room is not ready and we have to store them, we tip when the bellman brings them.

The way I look at it, we're all going to WDW and spending a fair amount of money. If we can afford to do this, we can afford to give up a few bucks for tips to people who work hard for low wages. I even tip at home at full serve gas stations when they pump my gas! Is a buck going to kill me - no - and people are always very appreciative.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Disneydenise
That is the discussion point to me. I do tip but I don't get the tip to this bellperson. I resent that I have to tip a person for literally getting a luggage cart. and we do take our stuff out and put it on there. I think that the bellperson who does the interacting wth me is the person who deserves the tip.

I think if you are loading your own cart, you should only tip the man that brings your luggage to your room and unloads it. :D I'm not opposed to tipping....just not 3 different people to get my luggage from the car to the room.

I just recently posted under the heading "hotel service" discussing tipping guidelines. I just want to insert my 2 cents here...I am in a tipped position at an "On Property" resort, working as a bellman. To those who say, taking up bags is what we get paid to do, here is a heads up...We start at 2.25 an hour.

I personally never understood the doorman/bellmen as seperate jobs, I just live with it. AS far as tipping, give the doorman half of what you'd give a bellman. Doorman handle everyone that pulls up to their hotel, bellmen only handle those who need luggage assistance...Both positions get paid very little hourly.

As far as staying at a full service hotel, I completely understand when people wheel their luggage in...But when they do utilize hotel services, gratuties are appreciated!! IMHO a good bellmen can really start off your vacation right!! If and when you get a chance have them walk you to your room, pick their brain, and make them earn their tip! I can only speak for myself and co-workers, but we are VERY knowledgable on the area....can get a hold of anything, and know all of the spots (to see and not to see.) You need a restaurant reccomendadtion, we got it!! Concierge is great, but they are pushed to sell certain attractions/restaurants...Bellmen will give it to you straight.

:smooth:

So I am doing it right., I am glad to know this. I think that the persons that are in the know are usually the bellperson who is taking the time to get me to my room and make sure I am happy with it. They always go thru the resort area with a few peices of advice and I do appreciate this service. I was waiting for a bellman to hop in here . Thanks psutim.

Originally posted by psutim
I am in a tipped position at an "On Property" resort, working as a bellman.
Yes at an "on property" resort but is it on DISNEY property??

Well, since I'm known for not having any tact I'm not too worried about the flames that may follow me here.

After reading this thread, I'm of a mind to snarl at anyone who tries to help me because I'll be feeling that they're looking to me to pay them for doing their job.

Since I typically travel alone, I'm accustomed to handling my own luggage. If a man should help me get it down out of the overhead or take it out of my trunk for me (without my asking him to do so), I have always considered it chivalry and gentlemanly behavior. A sweet smile and pleasant "Thank you!" always seemed to be the accustomed payment for these things.

I never thought that I'd have to pay him to do this because he works at a place that pays less than minimum wage. So much for chivalry.

Are we getting to the point now where if the doorman holds the door open for you because your hands are full, he's expected to be tipped? Are we at the point where such a thing as "guilt tipping" is REQUIRED because these poor people are making so much less money than I am?

I will NEVER tip if my bag is taken from me without my indicating that I want help. In fact, you'll probably hear me screaming all the way to Epcot that someone's stealing my luggage. I DON'T consider it a service if someone takes my luggage out of my trunk at puts it on the curb. Sorry. I can do these things myself.

IMO, to roll a cart to the elevator, then down the hall to your room isn't worth $5 - 10.00. I always thought that WDW and other hotels staffed people to assist their guests because they wanted their guests to enjoy their stay with as little trouble as possible in moving their luggage.

Now that I have been educated in the fact these people aren't there to actually 'help' me but rather extort money from me because they chose a job that pays less than minimum wage, I'll be looking at them with a much more jaded eye from now on.

Here, either! ;)
I do tip on the extremely rare occasions that I don't take care of my bags myself (or, better yet, have DH do it), but I found your post very... well very.. charming. That's the only word I could think of, that might possibly suit the feeling it gave me.
Chivalry is not dead, but it does appear less and less often. :(

LunarLady:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now that I have been educated in the fact these people aren't there to actually 'help' me but rather extort money from me because they chose a job that pays less than minimum wage, I'll be looking at them with a much more jaded eye from now on."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I never look to "extort" money from a guest. I chose a position which I can assist guests through my vast knoweledge of the Walt Disney World Resort area. I do not expect $5 or $10 for pushing a cart down a hallway, if that was the case hotels could train monkeys to perform our duties and pay them in banana's.

I never think of it as expecting $5-$10: I aim to please a guest by explaining the amenities of the hotel, locations of restaurants, recomendations for entertainment, theme park suggestions, etc. If I am than deemed worthy of a couple of bucks, that's wonderful! The reason we are paid below minimum wage is because more often than not, people tip us! But, when asked what tipping guidlines are, I will not hesitate to explain what people generally do!

Now, there are people that will (without asking) pull your bag out of your trunk and load you on a cart. I totally agree with you...expecting to be tipped for a service that was not even requested is not right!! And someone expecting to be tipped for retrieving a cart for you?? That's even worse!

Personally, I work in the "Happiest place on Earth" because I was impacted as a youth by the service and friendliness of the staff!! I am their to help people and create a happy/worry-free atmosphere, and LunarLady...if you approach my hotel to check in, rest assured that I will "extort" no money from you and offer you wishes for a pleasant stay at the "Happiest Place on Earth."

psutim, Bravo!! See, chivalry is *not* dead! May your tips be quadrupled and your attitude be shared by all WDW CMs! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter